• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First human head transplant a success

Newsweek story
USA today story
Scientists have carried out a head transplant on a human corpse, the neurosurgeon behind the operation has announced.

At a press conference in Vienna, Austria, Sergio Canavero said his team was able to remove the head from one body and connect it to the body of another by fusing the spine, nerves and blood vessels.
I'll start off by saying I'm not sure whether to believe one word of this doctor.
But just imagine if this really works.
Imagine being able to have your head put on another body.

gatti-man

Impossible. If this was truly possible we would have no disabled people from severed spines. I’d imagine that would come before full transplant success stories. As is nerve damage is still in many cases irreparable.

Heh, I remember that guy from when Metal Gear fans were pestering him because they thought he was part of a viral marketing campaign.

re-animator-head.jpg

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Uhh so it was attached successfully? That's what it is I think but calling it anything else is a bit extreme

So the first op on a living person will be done in China? I really hope it works.

There are also major ethical concerns regarding the legality of such a procedure, and a worry that the operation will fail but the head will remain alive.

Jerry Silver, a professor of neurosciences at Case Western Reserve University in Ohio, recently told Newsweek that technically the head could be attached to a respirator where it could remain alive for days in incredible pain. “Every muscle, the bones, everything has been severed,” he said. “Can you imagine the pain from all those cut things? That’s the worst. The head is going to wake up in pain.”

I really, REALLY hope it works.

Yeah I'm pretty sure there have been a shit load of these done on living people kinda like the old dog heads hooked up to computers and what not. People somewhere are doing all kinds of these types of procedures either it be a doctor or some weirdo serial killer.

OrionFalls

I'm certainly no doctor but unless it was done to a living person how can they say it's successful?
That was my initial thought, too. I could operate on a corpse and claim it was successful because, well, it’s a corpse. I want to see this done on a living, breathing person.

mnannola

I mean give me some duct tape and I can attach a head onto a dead corpse. What's the worst that could happen, they become more dead?

Heath V

Successfully done to a corpse, I don't know how you would call that a success. That seems like it could have been done at any time.

eso76

I'm conflicted with this.
My knowledge of the subject is very limited and I would assume this guy would certainly know better than me.
On the other hand, he sounds like a complete charlatan.
Plus I have no idea what performing this on a corpse is supposed to prove.

Heh, I remember that guy from when Metal Gear fans were pestering him because they thought he was part of a viral marketing campaign.

Yeah, same here.
The name Canavero immediately rang the MGSV marketing stunt bell.

Fans trying to uncover viral marketing stunts, seeing conspiracies everywhere whenever Kojima is involved has to be one of my favourite things in the industry.
Though tbh, the viral marketing hypothesis wasn't nearly as far fetched as this guy being serious.

I don't know why you guys are so negative this is HUGE news for the corpse community. They will finally be able to have head transplants. Step in the right direction IMO.

Imagine being able to do this with a living head. Effectively immortality as one person could just continue to get new bodies after one fails

Paracelsus

Because heads (read: brains) don‘t age?

It's not that they don't age, it's that for all intents and purposes a human head on a robotic body is still a dead f*ing head. You'd still need to provide it oxygen and food if it actually worked.

nkarafo

Imagine being able to do this with a living head. Effectively immortality as one person could just continue to get new bodies after one fails
Yeah, can't wait to try my 3rd or 4th body while i'm almost completely deaf, blind, no teeth and advanced Alzheimer's.

gfxtwin

Apparently dying takes a while and you still have consciousness for a couple hours after your heart stops beating. And if you are decapitated, the same holds true.

Top Bottom