• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

News coming in from GW's Adepticon presentation via Twitter!

Next edition of 40K: thematic armies will be rewarded, movement value is coming back, armour save modifiers, and charging units get to strike first. Morale will work the same as AOS.

GW is introducing an interactive FAQ platform for questions and voting on rulings.

C7kOgpYXgAMjsex.jpg

C7kPudkXkAACXLf.jpg

C7kPxw0XwAAiM-f.jpg

Next edition of 40K: thematic armies will be rewarded, movement value is coming back, armour save modifiers, and charging units get to strike first. Morale will work the same as AOS.

It's been many years since i played 40K. What does it mean by "thematic armies"? What's "movement Value"? How does morale work in AOS?

It's been many years since i played 40K. What does it mean by "thematic armies"? What's "movement Value"? How does morale work in AOS?

Armies that are built with a certain theme rather than just throwing only the most powerful stuff together in a loose 'army' and calling it a day I suppose? Movement value was in 40K in the past too, it basically tells you how many inches a unit can move, so there'll be more movement variation between different types of models and races. Morale in AoS, instead of entire units running off with a failed roll, individual models break away from the unit and are counted as destroyed.

Fou-Lu

Thematic armies being rewarded reminds me of Warmachine and Hordes tier lists, where you get small gameplay benefits for selecting models that are thematically likely to work together. It could also just be formations like we have now.

Movement values and armour save modifiers are great to me, they add a lot to the game.

AOS morale I prefer to current 40k morale so I am fine with that.

Units who charge getting to attack first is a big change and something I could see being veyr useful for making some currently maligned close combat units useful.

Apparently you get something called Command Points for building your army thematically, which will benefit you in the game somehow. Just heard that on a live stream but then my connection died lol.

Nazo

The Death Guard look great! They're going to be perfect for my homebrew warband. Very excited! Also that looked like a tease for Mortarion at the end there, at least I'm pretty sure that big of a Scythe bylade would be his. Or maybe a New Typhus model, which would also be cool.

Tacitus_

3 Ways to Play

The General’s Handbook has been one of the most popular rules supplements we’ve ever released. Who’d have thought letting people choose how they wanted to play their games and giving them a clear way to do that would be so popular…? It’s pretty clear from talking to a number of event organisers, that Warhammer 40,000 would benefit from the same approach. So we’ll soon be introducing the same 3 ways to play – open, narrative and matched play – to the 41st Millennium.

Army Selection

One of the things that comes up a lot is the idea that people should be rewarded for taking thematic armies. It’s a sentiment we agree with and so we’re looking at introducing Command points. A mechanism to reward players who structure their army like their in-world counterparts, with rerolls and cool army specific rules throughout the game.

Movement

We think the Move value should come back. No more default unit types. Every model should have cool bespoke rules. Not only would that be more fun, but it’ll mean you will only need to learn the rules for your models.

Shooting

Armour save modifiers. This topic comes up almost as often as Sisters of Battle… so we’re going to bring them back.
Every weapon will have its place in your army and better represent how you imagine them working in your head.

Combat Phase

Charging units should fight first. It’s just more thematic. So we’re hoping to work this out as well. It will reward tactically outmaneuvering your opponent. You can dictate the combats rather than being entirely Initiative based. You control who swings first.

Morale

Its no longer all or nothing, and it affects everyone. We’re thinking of replacing break tests with a simple mechanic. Roll a D6, add that to the number of models your unit has lost this turn, subtract your Leadership and take that many additional casualties.

Still teasing those plastic Sisters, lmao

barik

I love the direction of the new Death Guard. Great mix of Blightkings, Mk2/3, and 4th-generation Plague Marines. Really excited about the cultists as well, we're going to see a lot of them in the Necromunda and Inq28 communities for sure.

The Death Guard look great! They're going to be perfect for my homebrew warband. Very excited! Also that looked like a tease for Mortarion at the end there, at least I'm pretty sure that big of a Scythe bylade would be his. Or maybe a New Typhus model, which would also be cool.

People are saying it's similar to the Mortarion that was leaked a while ago, don't know how credible this is but it looks similar at least:

People are saying it's similar to the Mortarion that was leaked a while ago, don't know how credible this is but it looks similar at least:

I'm starting to come round to it being real. The position of the scythe could just be a canny photographer or editor trolling us, but that big spur being on both scythes is a heck of a coincidence.

Nazo

I really hope we see some Custodes Terminators sooner rather than later.

Look how cool they are!

latest

latest

Edit: I don't know why those pictures are so small but bigger pictures here and here

Also these new Sagittarum Guard Custodes on Forge World are super cool too. I really like they're helmets.

I really hope we see some Custodes Terminators sooner rather than later.

Look how cool they are!

latest

latest

Edit: I don't know why those pictures are so small but bigger pictures here and here

Also these new Sagittarum Guard Custodes on Forge World are super cool too. I really like they're helmets.
I would assume that the Sagittarum Guard is based on this image.
Custodes-Tactical-Squad-.jpg

EYEL1NER

I lucked out and found some really cheap BL books at a sale. A FLGS was having a big gamer garage sale and I was too far back in line upon the opening of the doors to snag anything rest games but I did get another copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus (to replace my copy that the spine glue melted in), the Last Chancers omnibus, one of the IG big books (with Death World, Rebel Winter, and 15 Hours in it), and Hunt for Voldorius. $17 for all four books seemed like a great deal. Wish I had grabbed the second and third GG omnibus books but the spines were horribly creased on them.
I kind of want to reread Eisenhorn, despite me only reading it a few months ago. I'm in the middle of two books still (second GG novel and Ultramarine omnibus) and have so many other to read though.

manfestival

I lucked out and found some really cheap BL books at a sale. A FLGS was having a big gamer garage sale and I was too far back in line upon the opening of the doors to snag anything rest games but I did get another copy of the Eisenhorn omnibus (to replace my copy that the spine glue melted in), the Last Chancers omnibus, one of the IG big books (with Death World, Rebel Winter, and 15 Hours in it), and Hunt for Voldorius. $17 for all four books seemed like a great deal. Wish I had grabbed the second and third GG omnibus books but the spines were horribly creased on them.
I kind of want to reread Eisenhorn, despite me only reading it a few months ago. I'm in the middle of two books still (second GG novel and Ultramarine omnibus) and have so many other to read though.
I am totally jealous of you right now

EYEL1NER

I am totally jealous of you right now
Even if my Eisenhorn was in good shape, I saw that $5 sticker on that book there and said "Well, damn, I have to buy that." They had some WFB books, something from King that may have been one of the Gotrek and Felix omnibus books, but I don't have any interest in the Fantasy world. I probably should have got that too anyway, since I hear good things about that series specifically.
They had some minis too, a ton of Eldar and D.Eldar stuff, but I didn't see how much most of it was. There was an NIB Knight for $110 that was the only thing I picked up and looked at. The main thing that I'm kicking myself over though was not getting Star Wars Imperial Assault, three of the boxed expansions (Hoth, Bespin, and I think the Jabba expansion?), and a ton of the small mini packs for $80. That was dumb to pass that up.

Contents of the Armageddon box set (priced at £90):

- 120 pg. Rulebook
- 28 hidden counters
- 28 overwatch/broken counters
- 6 loot counters
- 1 promethium tank counter
- 1 bunker entrance counter
- 3 red templates, 5 D6, scatter dice, artillery dice
- 5 Space Marine Scouts
- 5 Space Marine Scouts with sniper rifles
- 10 Ork Boyz
- 1 Ork Nob
- 1 Alchomite Stack
- 1 Galvanic Magnavent
- 1 Ferratonic Furnace
- walkways

Buying for the terrain, rulebook, counters etc - will sell the models.

By the Emperor, this is awesome!

17349723_176465556711cvucw.jpg

Contents of the Armageddon box set (priced at £90):

- 120 pg. Rulebook
- 28 hidden counters
- 28 overwatch/broken counters
- 6 loot counters
- 1 promethium tank counter
- 1 bunker entrance counter
- 3 red templates, 5 D6, scatter dice, artillery dice
- 5 Space Marine Scouts
- 5 Space Marine Scouts with sniper rifles
- 10 Ork Boyz
- 1 Ork Nob
- 1 Alchomite Stack
- 1 Galvanic Magnavent
- 1 Ferratonic Furnace
- walkways

Buying for the terrain, rulebook, counters etc - will sell the models.

By the Emperor, this is awesome!

That's a crazy number of hidden and overwatch counters. Wonder how large they expect each side to be.

Sad at the lack of sustained fire dice. Presumably they're sticking with the pure D6 system of the later editions of Necromunda.

Tacitus_

so can these books be read on a kindle? I hear its weird but if they can then I will be on this in a heartbeat since my roommate will let me borrow his. I cant use my phone at work so I often read books to sooth the boredom

They come in PDF, epub and mobi, so you should be fine.

Xis

so can these books be read on a kindle? I hear its weird but if they can then I will be on this in a heartbeat since my roommate will let me borrow his. I cant use my phone at work so I often read books to sooth the boredom

Kindle or Kindle Fire? (E-ink or tablet?) Answer either way is yes, you can read them but you may have to jump through a hoop or two. Looks like for e-ink you have to email the MOBI file to yourself; for the tablet you have to download a reader app.

EYEL1NER

They come in PDF, epub and mobi, so you should be fine.
I've got a question with how the Humble Bundle stuff works then. Are the this you purchase saved in your account information or somewhere where you have future access to them? I ask because I'd like to get these digital HH books and could save them to my iBooks or something on my iPad, but I don't have a computer at the moment or anyway to save them to a HDD or long-term storage. If I want to download these books a year from now, how do I do so? Are these obtained directly from the Black Library and they would be in my Black Library account history?

Coming up on the end of Ghostmaker. I think I'll start Straight Silver (pretty sure that is the third book) next. I really liked how the books was a collection of flashbacks for each individual character. It's not something I would want from every book in the series, and the first one had several flashbacks as well, so I wouldn't mind the next book being one continuous story from chapter-to-chapter. But I thought it worked well in this book. I need to get my Sabbat Worlds Crusade book from the garage and see what information is in there that relates to the GG books, see if there is anything to follow along with or reference in there while I'm reading a book.

EDIT: Oops, Straight Silver isn't the next book, Necropolis is. That works out perfectly for me; I do most of my reading in the car now and I've been wanting to listen to Visigoth lately. They have an excellent cover of a song by Manilla Road called "Necropolis." I'll be able to read Necropolis while I listen to "Necropolis."

I've got a question with how the Humble Bundle stuff works then. Are the this you purchase saved in your account information or somewhere where you have future access to them? I ask because I'd like to get these digital HH books and could save them to my iBooks or something on my iPad, but I don't have a computer at the moment or anyway to save them to a HDD or long-term storage. If I want to download these books a year from now, how do I do so? Are these obtained directly from the Black Library and they would be in my Black Library account history?

Yes, you'll be able to access any of your previous purchases. I can still look up bundles I bought back in 2011. Unless they're providing a key to unlock something on some other service, everything is downloaded directly from Humble.

Xis

Yes, you'll be able to access any of your previous purchases. I can still look up bundles I bought back in 2011. Unless they're providing a key to unlock something on some other service, everything is downloaded directly from Humble.

I bought this bundle; there is one Steam key but I can confirm everything else downloads straight from Humble (not Black Library).

Tacitus_

All your purchases are saved on your Humblebundle account and you can redownload them from there. Or at least the books I've bought are, don't know if there is some GW nuttiness involved for their books.

EYEL1NER

I bought this bundle; there is one Steam key but I can confirm everything else downloads straight from Humble (not Black Library).

All your purchases are saved on your Humblebundle account and you can redownload them from there. Or at least the books I've bought are, don't know if there is some GW nuttiness involved for their books.
Cool deal, thanks for the answers. I prefer paper to screen and already own something like the first 20 HH books anyway but it seems like there is a lot of value in this and there are some things I don't own like the audiobooks. It's nice to have the option of tablet if I wanted to read them that way as well. I'll throw $15 at this before it ends (do Humble Bundles usually last until their end date or do some end early if their allotment is sold?).

I'll throw $15 at this before it ends (do Humble Bundles usually last until their end date or do some end early if their allotment is sold?).

Only in very rare cases do they have an allotment and they'll say if that's the case. This bundle should keep going right up to the specified date.

EYEL1NER

Only in very rare cases do they have an allotment and they'll say if that's the case. This bundle should keep going right up to the specified date.
Okay, that's good. I mean, I don't need to wait at all to get it; I could buy it right now in fact. I just didn't know if I should rush to get it or if I could take my time. I'll sign up for an account and get it maybe later today though. But I did just start Necropolis this morning, so no rush to dig into any of it. I'm liking the setup for Necropolis too. I said a few posts ago that Ghostmaker was interesting how it was comprised of so many flashbacks, and then had a lengthy chapter at the end detailing what was going down on Monthax. It seems like Necropolis is wildly different, with the first third of maybe even half of the book detailing what is happening in a specific hive and showing what the hive-dwellers are going through before Gaunt and the Ghosts even show up.
I'm looking forward to seeing what other ways Abnett thought of to differentiate the other books in the series.

Karakand

CAN'T WAIT....

BLPROCESSED-Master-of-Mankindcover.jpg

Honestly? I've been really disappointed with it. There are some great moments (especially the flashbacks) but they're buried in lots of chaff... and there's a knight subplot... nothing gives it away that a Horus Heresy book is going nowhere fast like a knight (or titan) subplot.

In a lot of ways it reminds me of The First Heretic. There's even a similar passage to the one about how Custodes fight like lone wolves.

Damn, all the cheap UK online retailers seem to be sold out of Shadow War Armageddon already :(

Edit: GW is out of stock for release day too, WTF. I guess I'll have to go to a brick and mortar.

Damn, all the cheap UK online retailers seem to be sold out of Shadow War Armageddon already :(

Edit: GW is out of stock for release day too, WTF. I guess I'll have to go to a brick and mortar.

Hadn't realised this was going to be a limited release. That's crazy. Presumably they'll be releasing the rules separately at some point.

Hadn't realised this was going to be a limited release. That's crazy. Presumably they'll be releasing the rules separately at some point.

On Facebook they're saying no more physical copies but there'll be a digital version and the terrain will be available separately - shame! Hope they realise the demand is high and go for another print run.

It has never even been shown on the US website. I'm going to be a it upset if the game is sold out everywhere and they never even mentioned it on the US site.

Top Bottom