• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the Community Forum There Is Only War

Tacitus_

This is the same galaxy, but it’s showing some wear and tear. A catastrophic warp storm looks to have rent the Imperium nearly in half. Even before the Fall of Cadia, the immaterium had been growing ever more turbulent. Travel and communication suffered increasing disturbances as the events of the Gathering Storm unfolded. It seems that eventually reality could take no more, and a titanic warp-rift tore across the galaxy from the Eye of Terror to the Hadex Anomaly on the Eastern Fringe. There will be more on this new interstellar feature in the coming days.

NUyttbn.gif

Is that little hexagon really all the Tau owned space? That's kind of...pathetic.

Hey, they all gotta start somewhere. The Imperium was once just an utterly insignificant little blue green planet far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy.

Nazo

Tau Empire is that not that big to begin with. The fact that they got that much space now is pretty good.

The downside of not having access to the Warp.

Hey, they all gotta start somewhere. The Imperium was once just an utterly insignificant little blue green planet far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy.

All good points. I just kinda expected to see something a tad larger than that from one of the major factions.

All good points. I just kinda expected to see something a tad larger than that from one of the major factions.

They're not really a "major" faction. The only thing I'd say they have going for them is that they're a civilization on the ascent instead of the decline.

cntr

Banned
The Tau aren't a major faction in-universe, I see them as the general "minor species" faction, a way to play as smaller and more niche xenos without having a separate faction for each. Hence the whole mercenary and multi-species stuff.

The Tau aren't a major faction in-universe, I see them as the general "minor species" faction, a way to play as smaller and more niche xenos without having a separate faction for each. Hence the whole mercenary and multi-species stuff.

major enough to get a game on the PS2

remember that? W40k: Fire Warrior? That was something. I liked it >_>

I haven't played Warhammer in about 10 years, got too expensive for me and couldn't give it the time either.

How are Eldar and Tau fairing these days?

I haven't played Warhammer in about 10 years, got too expensive for me and couldn't give it the time either.

Eldar have never not been good. I think its due to how expansive and diverse their army list has always been. They're fast, shootie, and have some very hard units. You can build an Eldar army to hard counter anything anyone can throw at you.

Assuming you mean on the table, Tau are very good with some downright dirty stuff like their riptides. Eldar is a bit more difficult to answer as they now consist of 4 armies (5 if you also throw in FW's Corsairs).

Craftworld Eldar are considered broken with some ridiculously cheap and powerful units. Some people won't even play against them in their current state. Dark Eldar got nerfed hard with the changes to 7th and are considered to be amongst the lower tier armies. Harlequins are odd and should never been an independent faction. They have no dedicated HQ which means to have to use a formation to field them and they really suffer against some opponents as they just don't have the tools to deal with them. Best used as allies. The Ynnari are the newest faction and they basically consist of various units from all the other kinds of eldar. They should be considered just as broken as craftworld eldar, if not even more so. Units lose their army specific rules but they can take the best stuff from each codex and then get some really powerful new rules to replace the ones they lost.

Having said all that, everything is about to be thrown out the window so it's impossible to say how they'll play in a few months time.

Meteorain

"Back in my Day" Eldar were just so-so. You really had to know what you were doing if you didn't get steamrolled by the tides of SM armies. CSM and Necrons too.

Maledict

"Back in my Day" Eldar were just so-so. You really had to know what you were doing if you didn't get steamrolled by the tides of SM armies. CSM and Necrons too.

Yep, I feel sad about the fact that I've never played 40K when eldar were broken. In my day the only way to beat a space marine army was massive cheese (swooping hawk exarch with vortex grenade in the backline, surprise!).

Meteorain

Yep, I feel sad about the fact that I've never played 40K when eldar were broken. In my day the only way to beat a space marine army was massive cheese (swooping hawk exarch with vortex grenade in the backline, surprise!).

I know it from the SM perspective. I always just ate right through the poor bastards.

There was one DE guy who beat me once though. It wasn't until afterwards I realised the bastard cheated. My young self shoulda known better and checked the rules properly.

Thanks for the replies. I've seen that there's a new edition on the way so maybe will look at getting back in. Have 4k of Eldar and about 2k of Tau in a box. I checked out around 4th or 5th edition I think.

I read somewhere the new rules will be free? That'll make the call a bit easier.

My main opponent when I first played the game pulled this shit all the time haha. The times it would miss and scatter onto himself or one of his units were the best days ever.

Leunam

Thanks for the replies. I've seen that there's a new edition on the way so maybe will look at getting back in. Have 4k of Eldar and about 2k of Tau in a box. I checked out around 4th or 5th edition I think.

I read somewhere the new rules will be free? That'll make the call a bit easier.

Keep an ear to the ground in the coming weeks. This is a great time to get started. I almost bought some Marines but I decided to hold off until I hear more so I can work on my Skitarii instead.

Unit profile examples for 8th edition.

Movement in, intiative gone. WS is now a set roll like BS. Tac Marines are LD7 now, Terminators have 2 wounds.

What did WS and BS do again? I've not played in about 10 years (back in 4th edition) so can't quite remember. Can someone explain how BS and WS being a set roll changes things? I know one of them means something will now hit on that roll rather than using the stats to determine what it would be, but i can't really remember how that was calculated before.

It used to be that you'd compare the weapon skill of the attacking unit to the one being attacked and whether it was higher or lower would make the opponent easier or harder to hit.

For example a WS 4 model would need to roll 3s to hit a WS 3 model.

Leunam

Ballistic Skill determined your shooting accuracy. The easiest method of applying it to a roll is, assuming no modifiers, take seven minus your ballistic skill to determine what you need to hit. Ballistic skill 2 (an Ork) means you hit on a 5+, ballistic skill 4 (a Space Marine) means you hit on a 3+ and so on.

Weapon skill was a little more involved. You compare your own weapon skill to your targets weapon skill and determine successes from there. Two models of the same skill (WS 2 against 2, or 4 against 4, etc.) hit each other on 4+. Take one of those models and pair him up against something with a way higher skill, and you may be hitting on 5+ or 6+.

This is where the change to a flat roll is more noticeable. Now with a to hit roll of 3+ in combat, a Space Marine theoretically hits guardsmen or Tau as easily as he hits an Eldar Striking Scorpion or Chaos Lord, again barring modifiers.

Fou-Lu

Personally the way they used to deal with WS and BS was bad. I would have been okay with a better WS chart more similar to the S vs T chart, but this is still better than it was. This way we can actually have units hitting on 2+ or 6+. BS is basically the same as it was but more intuitive.

I am really glad movement values are making a come back, I got so tired of how many ways they came up with to get around not having it.

So far what I am seeing for 8th is making it more and more likely I'll actually give playing the game a shot again.

I just realized that unless modifiers are added or they take extra wounds, attacking different sides of a vehicle is probably going to be pointless now.

It probably will be a flat rule like +2 wounds taken if attacked from the rear. I'm hoping Explodes results are gone myself because same here, I want my Ork walkers to be worth putting on the table.

manfestival

As a tau player and fan of the lore it excites me to see the empire expand so much. So the 4th sphere expansion is real plus they can finally push narrative about them finally fighting neurons and chaos with this new map rather than these like 1 or 2 instances that always get referenced.

I like the ideas behind the rules cause it's pretty much a combo of current and aos.

Also reading that someone thinks a single riptide is dirty is disappointing. C'mon man

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new rules affect my Necrons. I'm a fan of some of the currently less-loved stuff like Monoliths, C'tan Shards and Warscythe Lychguard, and I think there's already new potential for them going by what we know so far.

Making it more difficult to one-shot the Monolith off the board would be nice, C'tan Shards needed an overhaul IMO (hoping they do away with the randomising of their powers and also bump up their wounds), and seems like my Lychguard might be able to strike first for a change - happy days! :D

Edit: excited to run the Command Barge under the new rules too!

Meteorain

No more Initiative in combat?

Banshee's and Striking Scorpions got no more advantage.

So how does the game play out "fast hitting" characters?

Nazo

Warhammer 40,000: An Imperium at War -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtH49maGHtU

That's a super cool trailer. I'm really digging that GW is pushing Deathgaurd so much!

I had a thought yesterday. Since Shadow War: Armageddon seems to have been a success do you think we'll see more of the old games like Necromunda get new reworks? I could totally see them doing a new version of Gorka Morka which would be super cool.

I also remember hearing a rumor about a return of Battle Fleet Gothic game on Forge World called Battle Fleet Heresy. Which would also be cool.

Top Bottom