• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Kathryn Bigelow's Detroit

A cauldron of anger, fear and chaos, "Detroit" is guided by the unbridled emotions of its imperiled characters, resulting in a drama which is at times inelegant in its rage but nonetheless produces a grim wallop

Detroit" will make you angry and upset. But it's more than about rage.

Kathryn Bigelow's harrowing docudrama is a bumpy but bracingly physical portrait of race in america.

Detroit is such a gripping and ultimately shattering piece of cinema that it merits seeing-albeit with a skeptical eye.

Director Kathryn Bigelow, in her first film since 'Zero Dark Thirty,' dramatizes an incident of police terrorism at the heart of the 1967 Detroit riot, creating a drama as powerful as it is timely.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/detroit_2017/

That's awesome. I've always been a fan of her work but mostly I want to see Boyega do well post Star Wars. The trailer really made it look like an NBC made for TV melodrama so I'm heartened to hear it's looking good

Well, I'm sure it'll be better than that other project named Detroit.

I'm still upset with her for Zero Dark Propaganda, but I can't deny that she's an awesome filmmaker. I'll probably see this.

??? Yeah she sure made America look awesome during that brutal torture scene.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It continues to bother me that they titled this Detroit, as if it's The Definitive Story about the city. Screw that.

Ive heard tnis doesnt actrately portray the riots and puts one side in a bad light. Is this the same doc? Redfield theater had a free showing a few weeks ago

Skelter

Banned
Well, I'm sure it'll be better than that other project named Detroit.

??? Yeah she sure made America look awesome during that brutal torture scene.

The problem with ZDT was that it justified the torture because it led to Bin Laden's death but in reality, it did nothing.

No, but the movie made it seem like that shit worked when it didn't.

Given the movie's other historical inaccuracies I'd hardly call it intentional pro-torture propaganda.

Seems like jumping to a conclusion.

More comfortable deeming it an inaccurate portrayal of reality.

norm9

It's going to be a tough watch, and it's a great contrast to all the non-serious superhero movies we get.

This looks great. Am I the only one who think Bigelow's best work is her 80s/90s output tho?

More specifically Point Break and Strange Days

Jb

I have total faith in Bigelow" ability to make a great nail-biting thriller. She's a fantastic filmmaker.
This looks great. Am I the only one who think Bigelow's best work is her 80s/90s output tho?

More specifically Point Break and Strange Days

I love how fun and occasionally campy her early stuff was, but at the same time ZTD is such a well constructed piece about the darkness of post 9/11 counter-terrorism.

I can't fucking wait. Bigelow is my favorite working director and the 2nd act looks like one of the scariest pieces of cinema out there.

That being said, white director and white writer appropriating black history for historical horror/thriller should always get a side-eye.

kswiston

Taking in all films and not just the new crop of blockbusters, this summer is one of the strongest in terms of quality that I can remember in recent years.

Kin5290

The problem with ZDT was that it justified the torture because it led to Bin Laden's death but in reality, it did nothing.
Isn't the closest torture-adjacent piece of intelligence that they receive the nom du guerre of the courier? And that is through deception and the absence of torture. And of course, that's basically the most distal step in the hunt for Bin Laden.

Meowster

I loved Zero Dark Thirty. Can't wait to see this. Glad that John Boyega has had such a non-stop sling of critical and commercial hits.

Jb

I loved Zero Dark Thirty. Can't wait to see this. Glad that John Boyega has had such a non-stop sling of critical and commercial hits.

Well... not quite.

MV5BMjY2OTM2Njc3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgzODU3MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Dynomutt

Curious about Finn's performance. He's not very convincing regarding the "black experience". I really did not like him in Imperial Dreams he was not very convincing.

Honest question why do so many British black actors get roles for American Black men? I'd assume it's a talent issue and availability. Dris was fairly convincing in The Wire but I would think by now we have some young talented black brothers in the states. Derek Luke peaked too early.

Not Imperial Dreams.

Well... not quite.

MV5BMjY2OTM2Njc3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDgzODU3MTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

LOL Plus we'll see how well John Boyega does commercially as a lead outside of the Star Wars brand with Pacific Rim 2.

Curious about Finn's performance. He's not very convincing regarding the "black experience". I really did not like him in Imperial Dreams he was not very convincing.

Honest question why do so many British black actors get roles for American Black men? I'd assume it's a talent issue and availability. Dris was fairly convincing in The Wire but I would think by now we have some young talented black brothers in the states. Derek Luke peaked too early.

I felt the same way about his performance in Imperial Dreams. It's definitely not a talent issue. It's a network and money issue. Same reason White British actors get roles to play Americans White Men.

Also let's keep it real, John Boyega is the biggest and highest profile name attached to Detroit due to his role from Star Wars.

Top Bottom