• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

MAtgS

Lmao I can't believe people still want Ash to have a Raichu in 2017

Give it up
I'm surprised they've gone this long without pulling this trick:
DevolutionSprayEvolutions76.jpg

Evolving Pikachu for 1 battle & then turning him back.

temporary evolution would be great but I get the feeling they would do something lame like making it a hold item

edit: my sister got out of the hospital but still dealing with bipolar disorder among other things so I left her a little sketch of her (and my) favourite in her diary representing the ups and downs
double edit: she was happy enough to cry because of my crummy drawings :S

So I need some help with understanding Ratings battles. I've ran into multiple people using Heatran, but for whatever reasons I cannot use either of mine. What's the specific ban for? Is it Gen obtained? Is there any way to get one in Gen 7?

Is EV training worth it without doing IV training too? I'm not a competitive player outside of my circle of friends but in X and Y i super train my immediate team but kinda feel like it doesn't matter all that much if I'm not going for IV, natures, breeding, etc.

Is EV training worth it without doing IV training too? I'm not a competitive player outside of my circle of friends but in X and Y i super train my immediate team but kinda feel like it doesn't matter all that much if I'm not going for IV, natures, breeding, etc.

I mean they'll be outclassed by things that are bred, trained and the right nature. But if you make sure to at least have the right nature and EV train in my experience from playing with showdown it seems like IVs make the least amount of difference. Especially at level 50. But IV breeding and adjusting is easier than ever.

I mean they'll be outclassed by things that are bred, trained and the right nature. But if you make sure to at least have the right nature and EV train in my experience from playing with showdown it seems like IVs make the least amount of difference. Especially at level 50. But IV breeding and adjusting is easier than ever.

I just never put that much time into it cause I generally just do story and friend battles

I just never put that much time into it cause I generally just do story and friend battles

Yeah then just EV training and getting a decent nature should be fine. From what I've found you're getting about 30ish extra points into whatever stats you train at level 50. And nature is a plus 10% minus 10% situation. IVs don't have quite as much influence.

And I certainly don't blame you, it took me about two to three hours last night to breed and train two pokemon. That's insane when you need a team of six.

Macka

Definitely worth it. EV training makes a much bigger difference than IV's do.

With that said, if you're playing in Sun/Moon, there's actually a way to increase IV's now with the bottlecaps you get in the Festival Plaza. So you could potentially raise their IV's eventually anyway.

The anime just got to Akala, right? That's what I'm getting from the new opening.

Joe said they go back to Melemele though lol. It's difficult to guess what the progression is like.

Also, it looks like trial captains aren't really a thing.

So I need some help with understanding Ratings battles. I've ran into multiple people using Heatran, but for whatever reasons I cannot use either of mine. What's the specific ban for? Is it Gen obtained? Is there any way to get one in Gen 7?

Sorry to quote myself but I genuinely can't figure this out. How are some people using Heatran and the birds in Ratings battles but none of mine are allowed. I've tried multiple versions of my semi legends and all of them appear banned.

Any ideas at all guys? My googlefu is turning up nothing.

GoldStarz

The anime just got to Akala, right? That's what I'm getting from the new opening.

Joe said they go back to Melemele though lol. It's difficult to guess what the progression is like.

Also, it looks like trial captains aren't really a thing.

Ash has been to Akala a couple of times, mostly to visit Kiawe because he lives there (Charizard is his Fly PokeRider) but recently they just left Melemele 'for good'. I think a big fro Melemele (possibly the whole season if it keeps up) is pacing. They did the Trial at episode 9 and the Kahuna battle immediately after which means 20 whole episodes in the same location. I mean there have been new Pokemon and plot progression along the way, but compare to XY where Ash already had his second badge and had met the third gym leader, it feels comparatively slow.

Ash has been to Akala a couple of times, mostly to visit Kiawe because he lives there (Charizard is his Fly PokeRider) but recently they just left Melemele 'for good'. I think a big fro Melemele (possibly the whole season if it keeps up) is pacing. They did the Trial at episode 9 and the Kahuna battle immediately after which means 20 whole episodes in the same location. I mean there have been new Pokemon and plot progression along the way, but compare to XY where Ash already had his second badge and had met the third gym leader, it feels comparatively slow.

a big fro? lol

I think a benefit of being animated, the trials that were completely useless in the game can actually be something in the anime.
edit: whoa they brought back the original anime opening, but it looks like they havent finished animating it so its a lot of clips from the show :S

Seiniyta

I've been thinking, when we finally get 4th gen remakes I'm actually more worried then excited. Mostly because they will probably redesign the protagonists for the worse like with OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire.

Sinnoh itself will probably be streamlined a lot and maybe lose some of it's magic. I don't know, am I too pessimistic here?

My biggest fear is that they will be remakes of Diamond and Pearl without any of the changes and improvements implemented in Platinum.

Platinum is already the best D/P remake. I hope the new ones are more like HG/SS and less like ORAS.

I'm playing Alpha Ruby right now and not enjoying it at all. Movement is so sticky and unpleasant. It's hard to go back after SuMo.

brinstar

Besides the battle frontier, I don't feel a lot of stuff added in Emerald would've made as much sense in the context of R/S remakes.

Been playing through Platinum again this week and I'm fairly sure that it's the best Pokemon game. Sinnoh is such a good region and there is so much to do. I feel like writing an 'essay' about my ideal Pokemon game but I don't know if I can be bothered.

Besides the battle frontier, I don't feel a lot of stuff added in Emerald would've made as much sense in the context of R/S remakes.

It depends on how you view the games. Are they "Generation III" remakes or "Ruby and Sapphire" remakes? After HG/SS, which combined elements of the entire second generation into a definitive package, ORAS chose to omit Emerald's changes to stay truer to Ruby and Sapphire explicitly.

The end result are two remakes that feel like they need a Delta Emerald to deliver on the promise HG/SS made for remakes moving forward.

This is entirely perceptual. But for remakes of Generation IV, I would much rather a "Gen IV" remake than a remake of "Diamond and Pearl." Platinum took middling entries of the series and made everything better and right. That needs to be the base of any future remake. Not D/P.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm more concerned of the map tbqh

Same, Sinnoh was the region that caused Game Freak to make region and the game easier.

The best solution would be to leave the design alone and have Pokéride to act as HM slave, they were severely underused in Alola, and something akin to the Rotom Pokédex to guide the player to the right direction.

It depends on how you view the games. Are they "Generation III" remakes or "Ruby and Sapphire" remakes? After HG/SS, which combined elements of the entire second generation into a definitive package, ORAS chose to omit Emerald's changes to stay truer to Ruby and Sapphire explicitly.

The end result are two remakes that feel like they need a Delta Emerald to deliver on the promise HG/SS made for remakes moving forward.

This is entirely perceptual. But for remakes of Generation IV, I would much rather a "Gen IV" remake than a remake of "Diamond and Pearl." Platinum took middling entries of the series and made everything better and right. That needs to be the base of any future remake. Not D/P.

Unlike the Johto remake where Crystal was easy to fold into the mix, Emerald and Platinum story are just too different to be folded into the basic game without Game Freak overhauling the entire story.

But honestly I did some thinking about the Hoenn remake and they pretty much changed the story from the original to the point that folding Emerald story into the game wouldn't have mattered too much.

In the case of the Sinnoh remake, I think it's best if they use Platinum as the base, use Diamond and Pearl story and then add Platinum story in the form of episode Platinum but rather than make the player fly around Sinnoh they can use the distortion world and Turnback Cave for Giratina's story.

They also have Battle Island as well, so Sinnoh will have more option to pull a better version of "episode Delta" than Hoenn did.

Though I am most curious to see how they will handle the Unova remake as Black and White ended in a cliff hanger.

I am of the same mindset of general worry about a potential D/P remake. Platinum improves upon everything from D/P, literally everything. The Dex is better, the Gym rosters are better, Team Galactic rosters are better, the story is better etc. etc., and if they ignore all the in the remakes, well, it just won't be as good.

In regards to how they handle the map. Sinnoh is an amazing region, probably the best they've ever done. It promotes and rewards exploration, and in comparison to the games that followed is pretty non-linear. Changing Sinnoh would almost certainly ruin the games.

Masaaki Iwane, the best animator the Pokemon anime has got made an animation of the final part of the game but with Ash

https://twitter.com/animator1965/status/877672697425047552

This isn't supposed to hint at anything regarding the anime afaik

It'll be the ultimate troll move if GameFreak makes Ash the main character in the next mainline Pokémon games and the Champion is no other then Tabias with a hack legendary team who has perfect IV's, fully EV trained, and is level 150 while we can only raise Ash's team level to 100.

It'll reaffirm that Ash will never win the league even if we control him and it'll teach the fan base not flip out when GameFreak announces Pokémon games and it's not on the system we want it on.

There would be a female option in this game also and if you choose to be a female there won't be a hacked champion team instead it'll be a ordinary run of the mill champions team.

brinstar

I mean, it's easy to say that about HG/SS but what did Crystal add? Gender selection has been standard since that game's release, so there's no way that wasn't happening. The Battle Frontier was just copy/pasted from Platinum just like how the Maison in ORAS was copied over from X/Y. Eusine and Suicune is some basic stuff that doesn't conflict with the original G/S at all. Stuff like the odd egg and encounterable pokemon were left out.

I do agree that theroretical D/P remakes should incorporate as much extra content from Platinum as they can, but they're most likely going to be D/P remakes first and foremost

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I decided to breed for a Adamant nature Abra for Synchronize...it took 75 Abra till I got one with Adamant, meaning I kept getting repeat nature before I could get even one with Adamant and the worse part is...it didn't even have Synchronize so it took swapping that Abra out with the Adamant nature give it an everstone and hope that I get an Adamant nature with Synchronize.

It took another 4 more eggs till I finally got one.

I mean, it's easy to say that about HG/SS but what did Crystal add? Gender selection has been standard since that game's release, so there's no way that wasn't happening. The Battle Frontier was just copy/pasted from Platinum just like how the Maison in ORAS was copied over from X/Y. Eusine and Suicune is some basic stuff that doesn't conflict with the original G/S at all. Stuff like the odd egg and encounterable pokemon were left out.

I do agree that theroretical D/P remakes should incorporate as much extra content from Platinum as they can, but they're most likely going to be D/P remakes first and foremost

Crystal did add other feature but they were so minor that they could have easily been folded into the mix like how you obtain the final gym badge in the Johto remake.

Daemul

Sorry to quote myself but I genuinely can't figure this out. How are some people using Heatran and the birds in Ratings battles but none of mine are allowed. I've tried multiple versions of my semi legends and all of them appear banned.

Any ideas at all guys? My googlefu is turning up nothing.

Only Heatran caught in ORAS and Legendary Birds caught in XY or received from the HA distribution event during ORAS are allowed to be used in SM Rated battles.

If the ones who have meet these requirements then I'm not sure whats wrong, my Heatran and Zapdos work fine on Rated Battle Spot.

Ok pokemon gaf help me out, want to do a quick little profile for the pokemon creator but I have no idea what he looks like. Googling his name in english letters give a few pictures, googling it in Japanese gives what seems to be 3 or 4 different looking people (maybe he lost/gained weight or these are pictures from very big gaps in time.

Help me out guys!

Ok pokemon gaf help me out, want to do a quick little profile for the pokemon creator but I have no idea what he looks like. Googling his name in english letters give a few pictures, googling it in Japanese gives what seems to be 3 or 4 different looking people (maybe he lost/gained weight or these are pictures from very big gaps in time.

Help me out guys!
Recent photo via Bulbapedia. I would ask someone from there to use it or credit appropriately.

There's a serious problem online where people think Tsunekazu Ishihara is Satoshi Tajiri and I have absolutely no idea why, they look nothing alike.

Only Heatran caught in ORAS and Legendary Birds caught in XY or received from the HA distribution event during ORAS are allowed to be used in SM Rated battles.

If the ones who have meet these requirements then I'm not sure whats wrong, my Heatran and Zapdos work fine on Rated Battle Spot.

What about legendary birds migrated from RBY?

What about legendary birds migrated from RBY?

Those have the Gameboy symbol, which is essentially the same as having no symbol like with gen 3-5.

They do it because older games have some Pokemon with moves that they've since decided were a bad idea and would be unfair to people playing in modern times (like how Qwilfish lost Swords Dance for no reason, Wish Chansey, Sucker Punch anything from Gen 4... Baton Pass Hypno?) It's also much harder for them to detect if it was hacked, RNG'd, or glitched I guess? That used to be the common excuse a few years ago but with how easy it is to get CFW running on a 3ds nowadays I don't think that's stopping anything.

Those have the Gameboy symbol, which is essentially the same as having no symbol like with gen 3-5.

They do it because older games have some Pokemon with moves that they've since decided were a bad idea and would be unfair to people playing in modern times (like how Qwilfish lost Swords Dance for no reason, Wish Chansey, Sucker Punch anything from Gen 4... Baton Pass Hypno?) It's also much harder for them to detect if it was hacked, RNG'd, or glitched I guess? That used to be the common excuse a few years ago but with how easy it is to get CFW running on a 3ds nowadays I don't think that's stopping anything.

So, this Zapdos I worked hard to import from RBY isn't legal in ranked? :(

Don't tell me I have to replay... XY...

Please no..:

So here's another question.

I just bought a copy of Black because I like my legendaries to come from their respective games. It's just a quirk of how I approach the hobby.

If I extract a Terrakion from the game, it won't be usable in ranked play?

I would have to use the one you get in ORAS?

I can't believe the Virtual Console legendaries don't work in ranked. Every Pokemon only learns like ten moves and they're all Normal-type. Why would they do this to me.

EDIT: Why is this so hard to Google? I can't find any documentation on whether this is true or not.
EDIT2: Found some and it SUCKS.

brinstar

I think it's to prevent shit like No Guard Machamp with Fissure running around

Edit: Or maybe not, that might be an impossible combination

Macka

What the hell? I tried to use Bank last night, and it said the server is undergoing maintenance.

Just tried again ~18 hours later and it says the same thing. That can't be right. Can anyone else get in?

Edit: My friend said:
4a102f0529cd0acddfa88a8dea431001d8e671f9def8ecaa6992bc455cee56f4.jpg

And it worked! lol

I tried to do the Mystery Gift for the current batch of Mega Stones and I got the server maintenance message. I haven't tried it yet today. I'll be sure to do that if I have the same problem.

So I was at Gamestop yesterday and the Nintendo rep was there. I didn't speak to him directly but was listening to his conversation to the Gamestop employee that I was cool with. The way he sounded and was coming off kind of irked me but he then mentioned that Gamestop should tell any customers that ask about the Pokémon Switch game that it "Is a full fledge Pokémon game and it's nothing like Mystery Dungeon, Pokken, or any other spin off series."

It's not major news but I found it interesting that a Nintendo employee was telling Gamestop how they would like them to communicate the Pokémon Switch games to the customers.

So I was at Gamestop yesterday and the Nintendo rep was there. I didn't speak to him directly but was listening to his conversation to the Gamestop employee that I was cool with. The way he sounded and was coming off kind of irked me but he then mentioned that Gamestop should tell any customers that ask about the Pokémon Switch game that it "Is a full fledge Pokémon game and it's nothing like Mystery Dungeon, Pokken, or any other spin off series."

It's not major news but I found it interesting that a Nintendo employee was telling Gamestop how they would like them to communicate the Pokémon Switch games to the customers.

It's a weird situation for them for sure.

Regardless of the reasoning, Nintendo chose to remain committed to the 3DS for much of 2017. It is getting a number of games that have high fan appeal, like Superstar Saga, Samus Returns, and Ultra Sun/Moon. These remain products that Nintendo wants to market and sell and have people excited and enthusiastic to play.

But the Switch is a popular machine. People really want to play games on their Switch. Nintendo, again - regardless of reasoning, was not prepared for how aggressively people would want to ditch their 3DS in favor of all things Switch. So things in the pipeline for 3DS, to Switch owners, feel as though they're coming out in spite of the Switch.

This is annoying the same Nintendo fans who were very pleased and enthusiastic towards Nintendo and their new system. Nintendo wants to maintain this excitement. They do not want people cooling off on their Switches and feeling like Nintendo is not supporting the new system because games they really want are only coming out on the 3DS and not the Switch as well.

So Nintendo's peculiar and direct announcement of an announcement ("we are making a Pokemon game for Switch - a real one") and subsequent PR is damage control. They are trying to maintain a sensitive situation where they still want people to buy 3DS games for the rest of the year even though Switch adopters are ready to move on.

Their messaging is controlled in such a way that says "please enjoy the 3DS for a little while longer. Then we will focus on the Switch, which you should still be happy you bought."

It's a weird situation for them for sure.

Regardless of the reasoning, Nintendo chose to remain committed to the 3DS for much of 2017. It is getting a number of games that have high fan appeal, like Superstar Saga, Samus Returns, and Ultra Sun/Moon. These remain products that Nintendo wants to market and sell and have people excited and enthusiastic to play.

But the Switch is a popular machine. People really want to play games on their Switch. Nintendo, again - regardless of reasoning, was not prepared for how aggressively people would want to ditch their 3DS in favor of all things Switch. So things in the pipeline for 3DS, to Switch owners, feel as though they're coming out in spite of the Switch.

This is annoying the same Nintendo fans who were very pleased and enthusiastic towards Nintendo and their new system. Nintendo wants to maintain this excitement. They do not want people cooling off on their Switches and feeling like Nintendo is not supporting the new system because games they really want are only coming out on the 3DS and not the Switch as well.

So Nintendo's peculiar and direct announcement of an announcement ("we are making a Pokemon game for Switch - a real one") and subsequent PR is damage control. They are trying to maintain a sensitive situation where they still want people to buy 3DS games for the rest of the year even though Switch adopters are ready to move on.

Their messaging is controlled in such a way that says "please enjoy the 3DS for a little while longer. Then we will focus on the Switch, which you should still be happy you bought."

This is what kills me.

First I agree with what you said.

This problem would have never happened if Nintendo would have push GameFreak and other studios to make up coming major 3DS releases cross gen.

It would have covered their base no matter what. If the Switch launched and wasn't as popular as it was when it did launch these games being cross gen would have either help maintain and build on how popular it is or help build its library to make it more appealing to those who were unsure. Just imagine the message Nintendo would have sent if they announced Pokémon Ultra Sun and Moon was a cross gen game at reveal. They wouldn't have a defeated looking Pokémon Company President making a announcement of a Pokémon game with no logo and probably feeling forced to assure the fanbase that the Switch is the future system where the Pokémon titles will come to.

Going cross gen isn't even something new for Nintendo because look at what they did with Zelda. Yes, blah blah GameFreak isn't owned by Nintendo fully. To that I say show me what other consoles maker GameFreak releases their main line Pokémon games. Nintendo and GameFreak are tied to each other success as of now and it shouldn't be unheard of for GameFreak to support Nintendo's new console with one of the most popular franchises in gaming today.

Yeah I've been trading my older birds and such to get Gen VI variants. Got a Heatran from someone that works. Thank you!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wish more of Sun and Moon was subbed, I still like it but it's hard to keep long-term interest in it when the plot isn't moving that fast and the episodes are released so far apart.

Really like how Ash's team this time around are basically his pets. It's cute.

I wish more of Sun and Moon was subbed, I still like it but it's hard to keep long-term interest in it when the plot isn't moving that fast and the episodes are released so far apart.

Really like how Ash's team this time around are basically his pets. It's cute.

you mean how they're often not inside the ball? I thought they were friends more than pets in the anime especially.
The games might treat them more like dumb animals but I love the anime for making them more like little people (which I believe is a big selling point of the franchise)

kind of sad but its the only thing that gets me through life right now

Macka

I caught a shiny Latios in Alpha Sapphire last week. Now I have the shiny bug again, which motivated me to actually finish Moon. Blergh, that game does nothing for me.

Time to finish the Alola dex though, and start SOS hunting.

You'll choose that Fennekin, deal with 6 poorly written rivals, fight the most obvious villain in the history of anything, and like it.
Which Pokemon villain wasn't obvious?

I'm dying for more info on USM. I'm so hungry for news that I'm trolling /vp/ looking at even the most obvious of fake leaks. I can't believe how little they showed of the game when they announced it.

Which Pokemon villain wasn't obvious?
Hey, I said most, not that the others weren't. They're all really bad with Ghetsis at the very least being disappointing with his constant accidental "OOPS I'M EVIL OOPS OH NO I SAID THAT OUT LOUD". He does improve quite a bit in the sequel.

Lysandre just stands out as the worst offender because they tried to hide it in the text but his design incorporates a giant, fiery arrow pointing down at him while he dresses himself in the Men's Squarehouse for Villains Collection.

Top Bottom