• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online political betrayal result in record-breaking theft (1.5 trillion isk/20k$)

Risible

It's only a matter time of time before someone gets killed IRL because of Eve Online.

People have been killed over far less than $20K.

sibarraz

Banned
the reason is actually the chinese laws
every other mmorpg is the same boat regarding china if they want to have an official release in china

He joined the alliance and worked his way up, took him more than 3 years as a member of the alliance to become the #2 guy basically in the alliance and the position of being the highest diplomat representing the alliance

But is so easy for the vicepresident to transfer all their posessions to other Alliance? even without the actual leader being involved? or some kind of protocol that each Alliance could créate to avoid this?

At least Im trying to tie this to the real world, and sounds like something really stupid to pull so easily

SalvaPot

No, he recorded the Co2 leader (his name is gigx) rage when found out and streamed it on twitch hoping that gigx would say unfortunate things which gigx did

so the one that got permmabanned is gigx the victim alliance leader

All according to Keikaku, damn.

Dark Rider

Who knew a Microsoft Excel plug in could produce such drama?

cUnYg3p.png

W9W0EYH.jpg

qHeUvwR.jpg

3CClMMb.png

Sv6xizM.jpg

Dark Rider

But is so easy for the vicepresident to transfer all their posessions to other Alliance? even without the actual leader being involved? or some kind of protocol that each Alliance could créate to avoid this?

At least Im trying to tie this to the real world, and sounds like something really stupid to pull so easily

the alliance leader trusted him (that is how he got to be man #2)

SomTervo

Amazing story but i can't believe how awfully that guy's video is edited

I'd love someone with editing and narrative skills to make actual videos out of this, for real

SomTervo

Is just a guy being a dick to a lot of people. Not much more to the story.

Considering real money is involved, it's more like a high end diplomat or partner in a huge company defecting with national or trade secrets or something. It's not just trolling.

You mean in the style of this one I posted earlier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNUu75fH8Uc

Then there's this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdfFnTt2UT0

I was talking about the one in the op which was painful to watch and painfully written. Like paint drying.

Will watch these tomorrow thanks - largely i just want one i can show non gamer friends to blow their minds

CCP has its mountain of flaws but I wouldn't give Eve online to anyone else.
If eve were another company IP then the game would have long being gutted and made into some cookie cutter action game based on a focus group of players who have no interest in a proper sandbox mmorpg, I take CCP fuck ups everyday of the week over that

I didn't mean to imply any specific developer or publisher, but more a hypothetical "better" company. As it stands yeah, CCP maintaining control of EVE is probably the best situation. Mainly since it's their primary source of income: can't afford to fuck it up.

Malyse

I really wish someone would make a movie adaptation of EVE's meta game.
EVE might be my favorite game that I have never played and no intention of ever playing
I played it once. By which I mean I played with its excellent character creator and never saw a minute of the actual game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If only more MMO's could have stuff like this happening. That Vampire game the devs were working on with player elected sheriffs that could permakill other player's characters. That could have been wild.

If only more MMO's could have stuff like this happening. That Vampire game the devs were working on with player elected sheriffs that could permakill other player's characters. That could have been wild.

MMO space is grossly underdeveloped in terms of what could be done, because the damn things are so expensive, difficult, and time-consuming to make. Developers generally play it safe and you end up with what amounts to WoW clone #347 that sputters out.

Nev

Banned
No, the leader of the alliance that was stolen from wanted The Judge's real name and address and was threatening him with actual violence, so he was banned. The Judge is not banned.

This is hilariously awesome really.

I swear this game is an alternate universe.

Shikoba

I want a cyberpunk game like this. I don't know how it would play, but things like this happening plus some neon and rain would make for an awesome game.

Does GAF play this game? Do we have a clan?

There was a GAF corp at some point but I don't think it's still active.

GAF OT is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465878

My OP is woefully out of date, but I don't have too much interest in updating it since I'm not playing at the moment. Maybe if I can find some free time.

As for whether GAF has played together...there is/was a GAF corp at some point years ago, but it's now defunct. Otherwise there's a chat channel or two in game for GAF people to join. But yeah, even with the game on a single server/shard, there's not too much GAF presence. As I mentioned before, it takes a lot of time/dedication to play the game "properly", and you have to be even more coordinated (to some extent) if you're a small faction/group, particularly if you're not part of a large power bloc.

But as demonstrated with this latest heist, even large power blocs are susceptible to being toppled.

And I wouldn't be completely opposed to maybe trying out a GAF group again, but there are a couple problems. Namely, the people who currently play the game are likely too invested in their own groups, so your core group would probably consist of new (or may as well be new) and previously lapsed players. Not that there's anything wrong with that specifically, but you'd likely have at least some opposing interests with the conflicting experience levels. Along with that, GAF is fickle: maintaining interest in the game for the group over months/years would be a challenge.

Actual organization/leadership though wouldn't be too tough for a smallish group of about 10-30 though I think. There's so many better tools now than there used to be, both directly related to EVE and not. Discord and Slack in particular. Various mapping tools (wormhole and k-space), various industry (crafting) calculators/applications, fitting applications with sharing /distribution features, killboards, etc.

Related, the next major release, an "expansion" is October 24th. So if people wanted to organize, closer to that date would probably be better.

Dark Rider

Does GAF play this game? Do we have a clan?

There was a GAF corp at some point but I don't think it's still active.

GAF OT is here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465878

My OP is woefully out of date, but I don't have too much interest in updating it since I'm not playing at the moment. Maybe if I can find some free time.

As for whether GAF has played together...there is/was a GAF corp at some point years ago, but it's now defunct. Otherwise there's a chat channel or two in game for GAF people to join. But yeah, even with the game on a single server/shard, there's not too much GAF presence. As I mentioned before, it takes a lot of time/dedication to play the game "properly", and you have to be even more coordinated (to some extent) if you're a small faction/group, particularly if you're not part of a large power bloc.

But as demonstrated with this latest heist, even large power blocs are susceptible to being toppled.

And I wouldn't be completely opposed to maybe trying out a GAF group again, but there are a couple problems. Namely, the people who currently play the game are likely too invested in their own groups, so your core group would probably consist of new (or may as well be new) and previously lapsed players. Not that there's anything wrong with that specifically, but you'd likely have at least some opposing interests with the conflicting experience levels. Along with that, GAF is fickle: maintaining interest in the game for the group over months/years would be a challenge.

Actual organization/leadership though wouldn't be too tough for a smallish group of about 10-30 though I think. There's so many better tools now than there used to be, both directly related to EVE and not. Discord and Slack in particular. Various mapping tools (wormhole and k-space), various industry (crafting) calculators/applications, fitting applications with sharing /distribution features, killboards, etc.

Related, the next major release, an "expansion" is October 24th. So if people wanted to organize, closer to that date would probably be better.

IF gaf is willing to commit to long term corp I would make a new char and join :)
but the most important question would be what would we name gaf corp/allaince?
if you look at the game player corps/alliances names you would know why I'm asking :p

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
He was permabanned? I thought the main thing about EVE is how shit like this can happen and change the entire economy because of what players are doing much in like how elite dangerous has been doing on a smaller level via actual players.

Sevenfold

He was permabanned? I thought the main thing about EVE is how shit like this can happen and change the entire economy because of what players are doing much in like how elite dangerous has been doing on a smaller level via actual players.

Banned for irl harm threats. It's in the OP friend.

Hyun Sai

No, it's the one (the "victim") who made IRL threats who got permabanned. The "traitor" is fine.

Audioboxer

Lose 20k of goods and get permabanned from a game you've probably put a good chunk of your life into... Damn, if I was the judge I would be hiring security. People rage enough as it is getting banned from something let alone the humiliation of your guild or group getting duped. Digital goods with monetary value are serious business these days.

This post is NOT saying the judge deserves anything done to him/her. If it's within the game rules then those are the rules. What I'm saying is crazy people exist. The ban is correct for threats but if I were the devs I'd maybe even contact the local authorities in the country of registration. No joke. I don't think it will be long for the first act of violence due to something like this in a video game (there's probably some cases already of real life retaliation for gaming related cons/dupes/etc).

Dark Rider

Lose 20k of goods and get permabanned from a game you've probably put a good chunk of your life into... Damn, if I was the judge I would be hiring security. People rage enough as it is getting banned from something let alone the humiliation of your guild or group getting duped. Digital goods with monetary value are serious business these days.

This post is NOT saying the judge deserves anything done to him/her. If it's within the game rules then those are the rules. What I'm saying is crazy people exist. The ban is correct for threats but if I were the devs I'd maybe even contact the local authorities in the country of registration. No joke. I don't think it will be long for the first act of violence due to something like this in a video game (there's probably some cases already of real life retaliation for gaming related cons/dupes/etc).

his new buddy the mittani (CO2 enemy and the person that the judge betrayed co2 to, also the person that the judge handed co2 capital station to) will protect him
/s

0teTeLG.jpg

in this recently revealed picture: the mittani on the left doing the belly rubbing and the judge on the right getting his belly rubbed (I'm not joking about the picture, this is really the mittani, the imperium leader, and the judge)

Astery

All popular space sim sandbox multiplayer game are already filled with people asking for the games to basically be EVE 2.0, if developers give in to them then everyone of them will be like EVE, which is fun to read about, absolute disaster to play unless dedicated your life to the game. I for one don't want to play EVE, that's why I don't play EVE.

Rymuth

Test Alliance said:
Regardless, nothing is going to change what has already happened. While I don’t agree with it, Gigx is unlikely to get unbanned, and the Judge has already done the stupid shit he did. While we are happy to win the war, this is a terrible way to end up a winner, especially considering what it does to people we still greatly respect. You, the CO2 membership, do not deserve to eat all of this shit just because Quentin and The Judge wormtongued Gigx into taking the course that he did. We’ve done some math on what it will end up costing to asset safety just the supers and titans that you guys have, and it kind of blew our mind. You guys should not have to pay trillions of ISK just because the Judge wants his 15 minutes of fame.

Now that we have purchased the keepstar, we are in a position to help you guys out. Starting today, we are going to help any CO2 corp evacuate their assets to lowsec, regardless of what you end up doing afterwards. If you contact our diplos and request safe passage to low sec, we will temporarily add you to the ACL on the keepstar, allowing you to reroute the asset safety of your assets back to the keepstar without having to pay the asset safety fee. From there, you’ll be able to use our fortizar chain to lowsec until you have evacuated everything. Also, if you would like to sell us any citadels that you still have, we will buy them for 80% of unanchor value. If you would like to take advantage of either of these offers, please contact any of the diplos on this page.

Wow, respect to this alliance leader. Very classy message and gesture.

Wow, respect to this alliance leader. Very classy message and gesture.

It makes sense. It would suck to loose some players over this backstab so anyway to soften the blow and help get things settled is the best way forward. Eve is one of those games that each time something like this happens it makes you wonder if it will ever be topped. Of course it always does get topped but man each time the bar is raised it is insane how it happens.

Top Bottom