• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"A Certain Magical Virtual-On" launches Feb 15 in Japan (Gameplay Trailer)

I really want to know if they will release a special controller for this game like they did for the other games.

4q5cocl0.jpg

image-thumb162.png

Synth

I really want to know if they will release a special controller for this game like they did for the other games.

4q5cocl0.jpg

image-thumb162.png

Would be all over a new set of these if I can then Cronusmax them into the XB1/360 for the other VO games.

I have a set of Dreamcast twin sticks, but never got hold of the XBLA stick board to make them work with the 360.

4q5cocl0.jpg

image-thumb162.png

I'm not one to port beg but I still stand by that Virtual-On and joycons should meet at least once before the world ends.

I don't care how much of a mess it would probably end up being.

Blue-kun

While I'm glad VO is back, the anime is so annoying. Good bye good music :(

Considering the soundtrack is apparently composed by Yuzo Koshiro, I wouldn't say that. The OP theme or whatever it is kinda crappy, indeed, but the song that plays after that in the trailer is pretty legit. And Koshiro is a legend, I'm actually pretty hyped for the OST above all things now!

Looks fun so far, I just need to see some Cypher gameplay. I hope it has a system of different versions of the same Virtuaroids like in FORCE.
and some of the OMG Virtuaroids like Temjin 1080 for the rest of the original cast

I have a set of Dreamcast twin sticks, but never got hold of the XBLA stick board to make them work with the 360.
You might get help over at the Oratan forums with that

So I've been reading a bit of the crossover light novel, just the first chapter. Judging from the trailer it seems they might follow the story closely-ish.

"Virtual-On" is an actual literal game in the Index series where it's super popular and everyone is playing it. The funny thing is that this isn't like SAO: Ordinal Scale where everything is AR, the Virtuaroids seems to be real and have some kind of mass to it to be able to create wind, but there are "safety measures" in place to prevent property and life threatening harm, hence why the civilians in the trailer are not concerned about them.

Haven't read enough to get to the technobabble of how it works but that's the setting.

Has it been known when exactly in the Index timeline this happens?

Synth

You might get help over at the Oratan forums with that

Thanks for the tip. I'll probably just leave it as a Dreamcast stick now, as its been years since I was looking to use it as a 360 stick. I feel good about the odds that a new Virtual On release will bring a new set of sticks that would be more suitable for the task (always feels a little bad butchering classic accessories if not necessary).

If this game doesn't produce a new stick, then I'll give those forums a look.

I don't understand this cross over at all. I know Index or w/e its called cause it seems to have 4 names, is really popular or was ect. But Why is it being mixed with Virtua On? Feels like cash grab to me.

Love me some Virtua On, but anime injected into it was something I can't exactly see the appeal of.

Wait, Yuzo Koshiro is doing the OST? Nice.
I don't understand this cross over at all. I know Index or w/e its called cause it seems to have 4 names, is really popular or was ect. But Why is it being mixed with Virtua On? Feels like cash grab to me.

Love me some Virtua On, but anime injected into it was something I can't exactly see the appeal of.
It was probably a "right place at the right time" thing. The author was a fan of the game, Sega had interest in bringing back Virtual On, they already collaborated previously with Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, so they figured why the hell not?

It's so weird that we're finally getting an actual new VO game (as in, not a port or re-release) for the first time since uhhh Force? 16 years ago and VO fans are getting wigging out over it being a tie-in to some light novel series. Maybe I like the games for the wrong reason.

It's so weird that we're finally getting an actual new VO game (as in, not a port or re-release) for the first time since uhhh Force? 16 years ago and VO fans are getting wigging out over it being a tie-in to some light novel series. Maybe I like the games for the wrong reason.
As long as it plays well and I can buy a over-the-top control for it then I'm buying it day one. I've waited so long!

This is where I'm at. We're actually getting a new Virtual On people! Who cares what anime window dressing it took to get it made?

Remk

Seriously, why is the anime tie-in such a big deal?

It's been almost 15 years without a new Virtual On! and the gameplay video looks great, you guys should be celebrating and readying your wallets to import this, I know I am.

Has it been known when exactly in the Index timeline this happens?

As far as I know it's not canon.

BTW some insight on this project base on the Author's afterwords:

Okay, this is Kamachi Kazuma!

You probably already know, but this story started as a dream project where we decided to do some kind of crossover between A Certain Magical Index and Cyber Troopers Virtual-On!! If you think there had to be something really twisted to how this got started, let me tell you I was shocked by the odd power of connections I felt when the offer first arrived. It made me wonder how big or small this industry is. It’s Virtual-On but there aren’t two levers? Where’s the jump cancel button? Why are they fighting over points instead of wearing down each other’s gauges? I’m sure a lot of you were asking those questions, but that’s because we prepared a whole new rulebook for this dream project instead of using the rules of the existing series. It might be surprising, but the overwhelming majority of these suggestions for “a different sort of Virtual-On” came from the Sega. …At first, I thought I should build up a world that strictly followed the Virtual-On side of things (and the more I looked into that, the more material I found to use), but when Watari-san saw the plot I had come up with, he sliced it in two and said I should do more of my own thing with it. I’m not sure how to explain what I felt then, but it really rattled me and reminded me that this was nothing like my usual jobs.

So I ended up basing the story on the Index side of things while having fun with the Virtual-On material I had.

NEO0MJ

Considering the soundtrack is apparently composed by Yuzo Koshiro, I wouldn't say that. The OP theme or whatever it is kinda crappy, indeed, but the song that plays after that in the trailer is pretty legit. And Koshiro is a legend, I'm actually pretty hyped for the OST above all things now!

hope you're right. I need something as good as She's Lost Control.

It's just kinda annoying to see such anime as fuck stuff next to the Virtuaroids, you know? I'll deal with them, of course. At least they're not Arcana Heart tier :p

Amani

I've never touched a Vitual On game before. I'm guessing all the anime stuff is more from Index?

Still, the gameplay looks fluid as hell. Been meaning to play a fast paced mech game now that I'm done with Gundam Breaker 3, so I hope this comes state-side.

Amani

Ok so I'm looking at the VO mech designs, and boy are they pretty neat! I might have to see if I can't track down a copy of Oratorio Tangram.

Yeah I know, good luck with that >_>

Tain

Ok so I'm looking at the VO mech designs, and boy are they pretty neat! I might have to see if I can't track down a copy of Oratorio Tangram.

If you have a 360 (IMO no Japanese action game fan should shrug it off) or X1, just grab it on XBLA. Best version of the game.

Synth

Do you have an X360 or XB1? Because it's $10 on XBL, and playable online.

Bebpo

Banned
Controls don't seem that bad/dumbed down, but it's been a long time so I don't remember how VO controls. For movement it's left analog movement, right analog rotate, weapons are left/right/center with buttons for melee, lock on/off, jump, and dash.

muteki

I don't think I have played a console VO with twin analog sticks before now that I think about it just Saturn/DC without the extra peripherals. Did the games on PS2/3, 360 follow the above scheme only or did they allow you to use both analog sticks like you would in an arcade?

TreIII

Koshiro is doing the music?

As if I needed more reasons to be on board.

I have no idea what Index and their visual novel series is about, and honestly, I don't care. This is just another Virtual On game with some more anime attached, to me.

Tain

Controls don't seem that bad/dumbed down, but it's been a long time so I don't remember how VO controls. For movement it's left analog movement, right analog rotate, weapons are left/right/center with buttons for melee, lock on/off, jump, and dash.

Melee as a separate button would be a significant change. So would lock-on being a toggle. Unless you just mean that lock-on is like Gundam Vs and VO Force where it just cycles through opponents and isn't something you turn off.

VOOT's best home port gamepad controls are dpad/stick for movement, a jump button, a jump cancel/guard button, two dash buttons (these modified attacks in different ways), two weapon triggers (center is both), and right stick for rotation (though I always used RB/LB). VO Force had a slightly simpler control scheme, though, with effectively one dash button IIRC.

No split, yeah, which is a bummer. There's LAN, though! And I think you can even cheese it to work with one copy of the game as long as you have two machines, lol.

Okay that's awesome! I never was able to do system link in the DC version despite owning enough copies of the game, twinsticks, and dreamcasts since the link cable is so rare.

Happy to hear about Koshiro too

tumblr_oli6d3a6fH1qzmppgo1_400.gif

Blue-kun

hope you're right. I need something as good as She's Lost Control.

Don't worry, I'm sure Koshiro will deliver. I was also pretty worried about the music for this game, mainly because I didn't know if they were going for the VO feel or something more Index-like, but having Koshiro and hearing that tidbit of Rising Blue made me sure that we're in for a treat.

Examples of Koshiro's stuff.

PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR. Damn, that part of High-speed Monster always gets me, haha.

To Make the End of Battle is an arrangement, as his original is from 87, but still, track is totally Koshiro to this very day, lol. Tried to add three different tracks too, because he's great at a bunch of things. The more trance/techno stuff could surely work out well in VO too, I feel~

emiliano

Preview of the demo booth

Controller layout, for those who can read it
I've tried to read the commands helping me with google translate, and the commands seem rather similar to the old titles, but there are noticeable differences.
There are now two set of weapons on the dorsal/triggers, the usual left-right-central in two flavors, normal and turbo;
on the face keys there is the dash on square, a new "lock" on circle, jump on X, while on triangle there is a new "proximity attack" or something (couldn't read the last kanji sorry)
On the touch pad there is a "boost weapon" this is also new to me. Movements and rotations are on the analogue sticks, like the old titles.
I can't see a guard button, used also for the jump cancels, like mentioned on the developer's quote above. This has me worried a little, since the importance of the command, but let's have some faith.

On the touch pad there is a "boost weapon" this is also new to me. Movements and rotations are on the analogue sticks, like the old titles.
I can't see a guard button, used also for the jump cancels, like mentioned on the developer's quote above. This has me worried a little, since the importance of the command, but let's have some faith.

"Boost Weapon" are basically the 'pilot' characters abilities.

The characters from the Index series have varies special abilities and they want to bring that into the gameplay.

TreIII

Ikki is way too old, the new trend is Virtua Fighter Love Live. Battle it out with your favourite high school idols!

Either this, or Sega tries it one more time with "Sonic the Fighters".

At this point, I'm not particular about which.

emiliano

I can imagine that the other new commands on circle and triangle will ease the automatic aiming, simplifying a little the controls and compensating for the lack of the guard button. Thinking about it, the proximity attack thing has probably something to do with melee attacks

Damn, I'm afraid for Virtua Fighter now.

Well if this is real VO, the gameplay should be tight.

Afraid about an anime collaboration? I don't think a new VF would have anything to fear in that regard, I like to imagine its presence in arcades alone would be enough for it.

Buying this game. Only way VO will ever be relevant and it's not like the gameplay is ruined by the interjection of anime..Sometimes in life you gotta cut your losses, especially when the fanbase of one of your beloved games numbers in the dozens.

Sai

:/ Gonna stay waitin' for that true sequel to Oratorio Tangram. I wasn't feeling 4/Force, and it seems it'll be the same for this.

Still, got the fantastic 360 port of OT with the Twinsticks, and it's backwards-compatible on the Xbox One now, so I can't really complain.

Controller layout, for those who can read it

L2 - Left Weapon
L1 - Turbo Left Weapon
L2+R2 - Center Weapon
L1+R1 - Turbo Center Weapon
R2 - Right Weapon
R1 - Turbo Right Weapon

Left Stick - Movement
Right Stick - Rotation
Touch Pad - Boost Weapon

Triangle - Close range attack
Circle - Lock (while dashing - Transition)
X - Jump (while jumping - cancel)
Square - Dash (while dashing - cancel)

Top Bottom