• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best 3DS system to buy?

WonderzL

Banned
New 3DS XL is the king

but if you like the original screen size, New 3DS. it's a bit larger than the OG's screen, but it's perfect

edit: that's assuming you like the 3D, which I love and find absolutely a necessity in the games that support if

mrkgoo

New 3DS XL is probably the one to get.

I don't they sell the non XL any more.

New 2DS XL looks cool too, but no 3D.

dickroach

I thought the N3DS looked cooler than the N3DSXL so I got that. no complaints.

51327765_Alt04

+
=
smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes_1f60d.png

Zomba13

If you care about the 3D then the New 3DSXL, it has better 3D in that it is more stable and works more of the time from a wider angle because it tracks your eyes or face and adjusts the display for how you are looking at it.

2DSXL if you don't care about the 3D but still want a good system.

You might be like me and think "but the bigger screen doesn't have a resolution bump, so wouldn't things look worse on it?" and it's a bit weird at first but you get used to it and things still look really good on it.

Opa-Pa

Regular sized new 3DS if you can find one.

It has face plates, a bigger screen than the OG's yet not big enough to ruin pixel density and, well, 3D.

XL systems may be popular, but 240p + big screen = objectively worse image quality from an already bad resolution.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have a New 3DS, had an XL before. Vastly prefer the New 3DS, especially with a grip. Games look better on it too, didn't like how they looked on the bigger screen.

Regular sized new 3DS if you can find one.

It has face plates, a bigger screen than the OG's yet not big enough to ruin pixel density and, well, 3D.

XL systems may be popular, but 240p + big screen = objectively worse image quality from an already bad resolution.

Yeah I guess people don't notice or care but the difference is pretty big. Games look crisper on the regular model.

The "standard" N3DS also has a sharper picture than the XL because the XL does not run games an a higher resolution than the original 3DS (it just stretches the image across a larger screen).

Gaardus

The standard size New 3DS was recently discontinued but it was (and still is) the best system all around. It's aesthetically pleasing, easily customizable (faceplates, yo), it fits most pockets, and the screen is larger than the original's without the XL's exceptionally low pixel density. If you're in North America, you can still get a refurbished n3DS directly from Nintendo's website. In my experience, Nintendo's refurbs are indistinguishable from new systems.

Phatmac

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found playing with the old 3DS to be uncomfortable with my hands being too big for it. Is the new 3DS bigger? If not, I'll get the N3DS XL.

OmegaFax

Thanks for the replies everyone. I found playing with the old 3DS to be uncomfortable with my hands being too big for it. Is the new 3DS bigger? If not, I'll get the N3DS XL.

The New 3DS isn't much bigger than the original system in terms of raw dimensions. If you have large hands, the New 3DS XL is the way to go.

nickerous

I have every version except the 2DS and 2DS XL. My hands cramped on the original, but not on the smaller N3DS. The XLs are nice, but if I had to pick one over the other, I'd take the smaller N3DS. I play it just about everyday.

Plus, you can buy a refurb one from Nintendo's online store and save a few bucks.

Phatcorns

I have a New 3DS, had an XL before. Vastly prefer the New 3DS, especially with a grip. Games look better on it too, didn't like how they looked on the bigger screen.

Yeah I guess people don't notice or care but the difference is pretty big. Games look crisper on the regular model.

I was thinking of getting a grip, mind linking to the one you got?

Griss

51327765_Alt04

Wrong cover plate, but this is the right answer.

The screen is just big enough to feel like an upgrade over the OG 3DS, but small enough that it's still portable and the jaggies aren't as apparent as on the behemoth New 3DS XL.

The super-stable 3D is huge for those of us who love the 3D effect, and I put a sweet Mario cover plate on mine and it looks great (not my 3DS but it looks the exact same):

Noobcraft

Because it has such low resolution displays by modern standards, I greatly prefer the smaller screens on the n3DS (non-XL) for the increased pixel density. I have the Pokémon 20th anniversary 3DS.

Unicorn

Got the N3DS as a change from the 3DS XL and it feels a little small in my hands. Hurts for prolonged playtime trying to use the dpad, and stretching/curling to hit start or bottom right corner of touch screen.

But, it fits in most of my pockets so it is actually portable. Also cover plates and smaller dpi means a "better" image.

SirNinja

Yeah, the N3DS XL is quite a bit bigger. I had the same problems as you with the original model, the thing was too small for my hands. XL is just about perfect in that regard.

Phatmac

Yeah, the N3DS XL is quite a bit bigger. I had the same problems as you with the original model, the thing was too small for my hands. XL is just about perfect in that regard.
Thanks. I'll get the XL. I know the screen isn't great, but I prefer comfort above anything else. Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I found the original 3DS to be too small but the non-XL New 3DS to be the perfect size. They can be a little rare though depending on where you live.

New 3DS (non-XL). I got one in black and put on a black Zelda faceplate and it looks sick.

I did the same. Plus you can grab refurbished ones on Nintendo's website for $125, not as cheap as the $100 they went for on black friday but still a hell of a deal. If the OG 3DS was comfortable in your hands this is the way to go.

That said, the word "refurbished" is a misnomer, Nintendo refurb products are basically brand new and carry the same one year warranty. I bought my Wii U this way.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat771516

tesqui

Original 2DS baby! I'd honestly prefer a larger slab based 2DS XL as opposed to the 2DSXL we currently got.

batrush

N3DS regular size. Has the best build quality (minimal top half wobble too), customization (can avoid gloss only finish of the XL) and has the best balance between screen size and image quality. Better battery life than the 2DS XL models too.

BizzyBum

I gave my brother my New 3DS XL and just bought this a few days ago:

new3ds-black-open-bothscreenson-coverplates-blackmario-480x320.png

It's refurbished but it's from the Nintendo Store so it has a ridiculous high quality, feels like I bought a brand new 3DS. Matte black, the superior colored buttons, and it even shipped with that kick ass Mario collage faceplate.

For $125 you can't go wrong.

N3DS regular size. Has the best build quality (minimal top half wobble too), customization (can avoid gloss only finish of the XL) and has the best balance between screen size and image quality. Better battery life than the 2DS XL models too.
I'd agree with most of this since I own both systems.

I still think the N3DSXL's larger screen size is better (lower PPI, but I just like the larger screen better), and I got lucky and my N3DSXL has an IPS screen on the top (the regular N3DS screen isn't bad at all, but the IPS screen is still a little better).

But my N3DS does have less wobble on the hinge, the swappable faceplates are nice (the matte ones are nice compared to my glossy N3DSXL), and it is nice to have a slightly more portable system.

And I'll add that I really do like the 3D effect. Even if it's not used to its full potential in most games, I still think it's a really cool effect and adds at lot to the looks of games (personally, I also think it helps offset the low resolution of the system a bit).

molnizzle

I gave my brother my New 3DS XL and just bought this a few days ago:

new3ds-black-open-bothscreenson-coverplates-blackmario-480x320.png

It's refurbished but it's from the Nintendo Store so it has a ridiculous high quality, feels like I bought a brand new 3DS. Matte black, the superior colored buttons, and it even shipped with that kick ass Mario collage faceplate.

For $125 you can't go wrong.

Wow, thanks for this. Last I checked the Nintendo store didn't have these available.

Been hunting for this exact unit for a long time. Perfect.

etrain911

My Animal Crossing edition 3DS XL had a hinge problem and broke so I got a 2DS. I really love the clam shell design, it fits well in my pocket and backpack, and aside from more easily scratching since the screens are out in the open, I haven't noticed any major problems or flaws. I've spent a little bit of time in demo areas of stores with the new 3DS but I don't know that the difference is big enough to warrant the extra cash for one.

Noctilum

I usually find the n3DS XL is on sale for as much as the n2DS XL (got both my kids for that price) so might as well go for that one unless you really don't want 3D. I am not sure how the n2DS XL feels in your ha da though.

Top Bottom