• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

matmanx1

Audi RS5 vs Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe. And with a brand new host that I very much like: Jethro from Drivetribe and Evo fame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjz4Q0jBqXs

He isn't the crackpot that Cammisa was but he is a very good presenter in his own right that I like nearly as well as Chris Harris. In this episode there's very little chemistry between Jonny and Jethro but I still like Jethro as the new co-host and am excited to see him working with MotorTrend going forward.

burgerdog

Audi RS5 vs Mercedes C63 AMG Coupe. And with a brand new host that I very much like: Jethro from Drivetribe and Evo fame!

He isn't the crackpot that Cammisa was but he is a very good presenter in his own right that I like nearly as well as Chris Harris. In this episode there's very little chemistry between Jonny and Jethro but I still like Jethro as the new co-host and am excited to see him working with MotorTrend going forward.

Haven't watched the video but ditching the v8 was not the way to go. They should have used the 4.0 TT V8 and given the car at least 500hp.

Anyone here have Gran Turismo Sport and tried it out yet? What do you all think of it?

I'm thinking of it, but haven't purchased it yet. A part of me feels that it isn't a robust as previous entries with the hundreds of cars, but at the same time, I never played a large portion of the previous games because there was so much to do and I lost focus, despite the hours I put into the previous games, so a more focused game would be nice.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Audi are so boring I stopped watching midway through that video. I simply don't care about the brand, nor their S or RS5 variants.

I was in NYC over the weekend and was driving my dad's 2016 A6 3.0T...while the interior is nicer in quality and looks than my Jaguar XF, I forgot how lame the overall ride and experience was. The steering felt so disconnected and artificial. The lack of feedback or any kind of sensation really separated me from the road. Also, the body roll is immediately noticeable too, coming from a chassis as tight as the Jag's.

And of course, just like the first year 2012 did, this one still consumes oil. I drove it for 20 mins and the oil light went on. You'd imagine they'd fix that kind of issue 4 years in. Nope. Also, there is a noticeable lack of refinement from the motor - you can feel its vibration at idle, which is in stark contrast to Jaguar's supercharged 3.0 which is damn near vibration free in the cabin.

ascii42

Anyone here have Gran Turismo Sport and tried it out yet? What do you all think of it?

I'm thinking of it, but haven't purchased it yet. A part of me feels that it isn't a robust as previous entries with the hundreds of cars, but at the same time, I never played a large portion of the previous games because there was so much to do and I lost focus, despite the hours I put into the previous games, so a more focused game would be nice.
Don’t have it yet, but played the demo and will probably buy the game this weekend. I really want a wheel. Haven’t had one since the PS1 days.

v1lla21

GT: Sport is good. Really enjoyed the beta and I’ll probably will be buying it come Black Friday. Wanna Get a wheel first even though I found it played really well with the DualShock

matmanx1

Audi are so boring I stopped watching midway through that video. I simply don't care about the brand, nor their S or RS5 variants.

I was in NYC over the weekend and was driving my dad's 2016 A6 3.0T...while the interior is nicer in quality and looks than my Jaguar XF, I forgot how lame the overall ride and experience was. The steering felt so disconnected and artificial. The lack of feedback or any kind of sensation really separated me from the road. Also, the body roll is immediately noticeable too, coming from a chassis as tight as the Jag's.

And of course, just like the first year 2012 did, this one still consumes oil. I drove it for 20 mins and the oil light went on. You'd imagine they'd fix that kind of issue 4 years in. Nope. Also, there is a noticeable lack of refinement from the motor - you can feel its vibration at idle, which is in stark contrast to Jaguar's supercharged 3.0 which is damn near vibration free in the cabin.

I was interested in the Head 2 Head moreso to see how Jethro and Jonny got along and I have to say I am still excited to see him on MotorTrend.

Your opinion of the A3 echoes mine when I tried one a few years back. I liked the cabin and the overall look of the car but the car was numb and boring to drive. I am keeping my eye on the new RS3 and TT-RS though and will give them a hard look when the time comes as long as the reliability is decent on that 5 cylinder.

AlphaSnake

I was interested in the Head 2 Head moreso to see how Jethro and Jonny got along and I have to say I am still excited to see him on MotorTrend.

Your opinion of the A3 echoes mine when I tried one a few years back. I liked the cabin and the overall look of the car but the car was numb and boring to drive. I am keeping my eye on the new RS3 and TT-RS though and will give them a hard look when the time comes as long as the reliability is decent on that 5 cylinder.

A6. Not A3.

I liked Jethro, always have.

It's probably the best GT game since 3, that is if you ignore the lackluster single player content. Even then, it's not really lackluster imo... just not as much as a mainline GT game.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that the game feels like it was made for car enthusiasts who actually enjoy the act of driving, aka us, the people in this thread.

Intangibles aside, driving is really really fun. Like each car has a very distinct feel and it really does require you to use a different driving strategy(how you tackle a corner, throttle control, braking points, etc) in order to drive it.

I'm not naming any names, but compared to another console racer out there, GTS is leagues ahead in the overall satisfaction for the game. When I got the game last night, I spent 3 hours doing the beginner driving school and another hour playing with photo mode. Meanwhile on that other game, by hour 3 I was already trying to figure out if I could return the game to Amazon since I already opened the game up and all that.

So if you're somebody who really cares about the SP experience, it might be a good idea to wait a bit, but if you're into online racing, or you can find fun in the game through other means, then I say go for it. I don't even have PS+ to play online but I've been having a ton of fun playing the AI and just cruising around(on the DS4 too no less) because it just feels really good to drive in the game.

But more important is this lol:

outlook11

Neo Member
Hello, I have relatively no experience with cars. I am going to university to study mechanical with automotive engineering to learn more. I joined a small karting team which gave me a job of sourcing new lightweight spark coils. The email sent to me is as follows:

The spark coils should be able to work with our spark plugs which are: NGK CR5HSB

Our current coils are, https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/moto.../msd-ignition-blaster-2-ignition-coils​

If you could find coils that are half the weight it would be great (approx 500g).

I wanted to know if any of you have any experience with this and is willing to help me out. Thanks.

Don’t have it yet, but played the demo and will probably buy the game this weekend. I really want a wheel. Haven’t had one since the PS1 days.

I didn't get to try the demo due to work. The last GT I really got into was GT5, though I do have GT6 and only spent a few hours with it. Life got busy and I didn't pick up GT6 afterwards, unfortunately. I started GT at GT3 and I've loved all the entries since.

GT: Sport is good. Really enjoyed the beta and I’ll probably will be buying it come Black Friday. Wanna Get a wheel first even though I found it played really well with the DualShock

I actually don't have a wheel anymore either, just the Dualshock 4 controllers. I guess I'll consider a wheel afterwards if the game is really good.

It's probably the best GT game since 3, that is if you ignore the lackluster single player content. Even then, it's not really lackluster imo... just not as much as a mainline GT game.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that the game feels like it was made for car enthusiasts who actually enjoy the act of driving, aka us, the people in this thread.

Intangibles aside, driving is really really fun. Like each car has a very distinct feel and it really does require you to use a different driving strategy(how you tackle a corner, throttle control, braking points, etc) in order to drive it.

I'm not naming any names, but compared to another console racer out there, GTS is leagues ahead in the overall satisfaction for the game. When I got the game last night, I spent 3 hours doing the beginner driving school and another hour playing with photo mode. Meanwhile on that other game, by hour 3 I was already trying to figure out if I could return the game to Amazon since I already opened the game up and all that.

So if you're somebody who really cares about the SP experience, it might be a good idea to wait a bit, but if you're into online racing, or you can find fun in the game through other means, then I say go for it. I don't even have PS+ to play online but I've been having a ton of fun playing the AI and just cruising around(on the DS4 too no less) because it just feels really good to drive in the game.

Thanks for the huge descriptions. I normally wouldn't buy GT Sport due to the seemingly lackluster single player content. However, after thinking about it and watching replays, I realized that GT4-GT6 had so much content that I never played all the modes (e.g. B-spec, Kart racing, off-roading, etc.) and yet I still got like dozens and hundreds of hours for each installment. I think GT5 might've actually been my favorite, overall. Or GT4, depends on my nostalgia moment.

However, if GT Sport is more focused, I may actually play all it has to offer and focus more on the driving aspect. The online mechanics reminds me a bit of Destiny (e.g. always online connected, multiplayer focused, smart little things that make the online experience smooth and pleasant, etc.)

I think I'll give it a shot when I stop by a store next time. Only thing is internet is weak at my home, but I'll see what it's like.

Bandit1

Lol, you should replace the GT logo with your own!

I'm holding off on GT: Sport for now, kind of disappointed by the lack of a traditional GT campaign, hoping more events will get patched in later along with a few more cars and tracks as well.

The AI isn't good enough to make the SP worth it for racing. Taking it online is a hell of a lot of fun, though the sportsmanship needs some tweaking. I went from 1st to 3rd in a race because I was lapping people who had no idea what they were doing coming across the track or spinning. I was pretty frustrated.

Also, the dualshock motion control is surprisingly good. You can handle the controller like a free-floating wheel and it responds immediately making controlling slip angle a lot easier.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The AI isn't good enough to make the SP worth it for racing. Taking it online is a hell of a lot of fun, though the sportsmanship needs some tweaking. I went from 1st to 3rd in a race because I was lapping people who had no idea what they were doing coming across the track or spinning. I was pretty frustrated.

Also, the dualshock motion control is surprisingly good. You can handle the controller like a free-floating wheel and it responds immediately making controlling slip angle a lot easier.

One of the most realistic things about online driving games is how shitty other drivers can be.

OK, you guys are selling me more on the game than any review or the OT or Review topic have so far. I'll probably grab it this weekend.

I'll definitely miss all the commercial cars that aren't meant for the track though. There needs to be more Toyota Camry models in racing games. Or at least bring back the El Camino or the National.

v1lla21

Ohhh, nice. Gonna give that a try when I get the game. I don’t mind the lack of a bigger vehicle selection much since I mostly keep to a single car in each class anyways.

I can’t even keep my car clean for a day without having cats leave their prints all over my hood and roof :( didn’t use to have this problem before but I guess it’s time to buy a cover.

Thanks for the tip with the motion controls. I just checked online and saw a video showing this feature off. It looks surprisingly accurate. Maybe it'll tide me over from spending more on a wheel than I should.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
New A7

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/2019-audi-a7-sportback-is-lot-newer.html

That backlight sure is crazy, damn. Still a really cool looking car.

Gorgeous. Interior is a bit disappointing, esp compared to the RS7 with the diamond stitched seats, but they did need to do something to make it more distinguishable from the new a5 sedan.

This is back to being my dream car again. Especially after living in blissful happiness with my 2017 A4 for a year.

Also I think I preferred the old grill.

One of the most realistic things about online driving games is how shitty other drivers can be.

I equated the experience to my fiance as "the guy in last place trying to race Lewis Hamilton as he's getting lapped," to which she replied "you are not Lewis Hamilton." Surprisingly unempathetic!

Ohhh, nice. Gonna give that a try when I get the game. I don’t mind the lack of a bigger vehicle selection much since I mostly keep to a single car in each class anyways.

Thanks for the tip with the motion controls. I just checked online and saw a video showing this feature off. It looks surprisingly accurate. Maybe it'll tide me over from spending more on a wheel than I should.

Yeah the motion control surprised me with how easy it was to get comfortable with. I'm talking five minutes with it and I was smoothly trail braking and counter steering a GT3 RS. Trying that with the controller way an embarrassing mess--it might have taken 1-2 seconds to go 180 degrees at the wheel, so countersteering was effectively impossible.

KRaZyAmmo

please don't hate me
VCYuwn.png

burgerdog

Gorgeous. Interior is a bit disappointing, esp compared to the RS7 with the diamond stitched seats, but they did need to do something to make it more distinguishable from the new a5 sedan.

This is back to being my dream car again. Especially after living in blissful happiness with my 2017 A4 for a year.

Also I think I preferred the old grill.

Pretty sure you're still going to get those diamond stitched seats in the S and RS model of the car. The headlight/taillight animation when turning on the car is just sexy as fuck.

matmanx1

New A7

http://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/2019-audi-a7-sportback-is-lot-newer.html

That backlight sure is crazy, damn. Still a really cool looking car.

I like it. For all the hate they get from the "true" sports car enthusiasts I think Audi is doing a lot of good things and the amount that they have improved over the last decade is pretty incredible.

Audi Sport is only 20 years old and yet they are trying to compete with BMW's M division, AMG and Porsche who have been doing sports cars for far, far longer. In several key areas they haven't caught up yet but they are getting better with every iteration.

I'm not an Audi disciple yet but they certainly have my attention with the cars they have been putting out lately and I am absolutely in love with their interiors on the S and RS models.

I'm holding off on GT: Sport for now, kind of disappointed by the lack of a traditional GT campaign, hoping more events will get patched in later along with a few more cars and tracks as well.

I feel this edition is more sim and less campaign, and you get out of single player what you put into it. You can sweep the license, challenge and track field for bronze or better, buy a bunch of cars, take some pictures and declare it done.

Or you can get golds, then get golds repeatably, which is a MUCH longer experience and to me, its much more satisfying. I think the trophy for all golds will be rare. Like everyone who achieves it posts casually they just did it, but 95% of people who play won't put the time in and then they declare the SP game is too short.

If you want to lap the ring once in 8 minutes & can say you're done. Or you can learn each section, then learn the whole thing, then learn to do it reliably. That shit is what I bought the game for.

I feel this edition is more sim and less campaign, and you get out of single player what you put into it. You can sweep the license, challenge and track field for bronze or better, buy a bunch of cars, take some pictures and declare it done.

Or you can get golds, then get golds repeatably, which is a MUCH longer experience and to me, its much more satisfying. I think the trophy for all golds will be rare. Like everyone who achieves it posts casually they just did it, but 95% of people who play won't put the time in and then they declare the SP game is too short.

If you want to lap the ring once in 8 minutes & can say you're done. Or you can learn each section, then learn the whole thing, then learn to do it reliably. That shit is what I bought the game for.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when considering this game. I wasn't going to get it since I heard of the direction of the new Gran Turismo. However, looking back at my GT and Forza experience, I really just like to do my own thing, which is focus on a few cars, repeatedly race on a track either alone or against computer AI to get better times, and that's about it. I usually ignore other modes like kart racing, B-spec, off-roading, online multiplayer, etc. So a more focused game may still be very good if the one thing it does is superb.

But I think I'll get it today actually. The motion controls of the DS4 on PS4 is piquing my interest.

Also, my nostalgia for Gran Turismo 3, 4, and 5 are definitely on a high right now.

v1lla21

well said. I platinumed DriveClub but majority of my play time was just focused on Hot Laps / Drifting and doing my own thing. I really hate how they treated drifting in that game. I would post top 10 high scores with clean drifting and what not till people found out how to exploit it and they kept fucking with how it awarded points.

Lmao.

On a similar note, if you actually understand how to use a DSLR, photo mode can give you some fantastic results:

But I think I'll get it today actually. The motion controls of the DS4 on PS4 is piquing my interest.

Heh, I like how you went from maybe next time, to this weekend, to eventually today.

But yeah the motion controls are really interesting. In the interest of actually playing seriously I'm sticking with the analog stick but on fun runs, I switch it to the motion controls... though I might eventually switch to it fully lol.

For the little it's worth regarding GT:s single player:

I have logged 9 hours driving
23 hours in the game
Taken over 100 photos
Gold all licenses
Done more than half the 64 challenges (mixture of bronze silver or gold)
Gold three segments of the Ring
Played a few arcade races on intermediate.
Played some online races in the beta but not in the game
Have like 24 cars in the garage but only bought 3

Plan is to:
Gold all the track segment and time attack challenges, except maybe rally or Oval ones
Silver or gold all the challenges
Earn money to buy some cars I like
Try some gaf challenge track, time attacks
Play some online races
Try VR mode once anyway

By then it will be 50 hours in the game and 20 plus hours driving and i cannot complain in the slightest about value for money.

Lmao.

On a similar note, if you actually understand how to use a DSLR, photo mode can give you some fantastic results:

Heh, I like how you went from maybe next time, to this weekend, to eventually today.

But yeah the motion controls are really interesting. In the interest of actually playing seriously I'm sticking with the analog stick but on fun runs, I switch it to the motion controls... though I might eventually switch to it fully lol.

First of all, great photos. I've no idea how to use DSLR camera settings so...I'll get to it hopefully.

Secondly, I bought the game and just played an hour of it now. I put down the controller to say that I'm utterly impressed with the motion controls. I went from analog sticks to just fully motion controls, no driver assists for braking and acceleration, no driving lines, no notifications. Just motion controls. I'm so surprised no one has mentioned this except the users in this thread...It's crazy good. I'm not even going to get a wheel anymore because of this...

For the little it's worth regarding GT:s single player:

I have logged 9 hours driving
23 hours in the game
Taken over 100 photos
Gold all licenses
Done more than half the 64 challenges (mixture of bronze silver or gold)
Gold three segments of the Ring
Played a few arcade races on intermediate.
Played some online races in the beta but not in the game
Have like 24 cars in the garage but only bought 3

Plan is to:
Gold all the track segment and time attack challenges, except maybe rally or Oval ones
Silver or gold all the challenges
Earn money to buy some cars I like
Try some gaf challenge track, time attacks
Play some online races
Try VR mode once anyway

By then it will be 50 hours in the game and 20 plus hours driving and i cannot complain in the slightest about value for money.

I'm glad to hear it. I'm typically too busy to play games nowadays, which is unfortunately, but I recently beat Last Guardian and I'm on a gaming streak again. I'm hoping Gran Turismo Sport will be worthy. So far from the hour I've played, the game is really fun.

matmanx1

CR Manufacturer Reliability Rankings

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...ion/car-brands-reliability-how-they-stack-up/

Wtf is going on with Acura, seriously. Lol

Nooo VW why is the Golf your least reliable model.

Yeah, some surprising placements on that list although you have to take CR rankings with a grain of salt. I think all manufacturers are struggling these days with integrating new tech and making it both user friendly and reliable. Many of the trouble spots are still related to infotainment or electronics with major engine or transmission problems in the minority.

I think a good idea is to NOT buy a first year model of anything (unless you just like the idea of being a public car beta tester) and let the kinks get worked out first and a perfect example of that is the Jaguar F -Pace which is having some pretty terrible teething problems. That being said, I expect Jaguar will have those problems sorted out pretty quickly and future buyers will be getting a better, more reliable vehicle.

Pinewood

Yeah, some surprising placements on that list although you have to take CR rankings with a grain of salt. I think all manufacturers are struggling these days with integrating new tech and making it both user friendly and reliable. Many of the trouble spots are still related to infotainment or electronics with major engine or transmission problems in the minority.

I think a good idea is to NOT buy a first year model of anything (unless you just like the idea of being a public car beta tester) and let the kinks get worked out first and a perfect example of that is the Jaguar F -Pace which is having some pretty terrible teething problems. That being said, I expect Jaguar will have those problems sorted out pretty quickly and future buyers will be getting a better, more reliable vehicle.

First buyers get often some incentives with launch editions and most of these issues are covered by warranty.

AlphaSnake

First buyers get often some incentives with launch editions and most of these issues are covered by warranty.

The incentives are the worst for first model year car in the US. We get virtually no incentives.

If you look at XF incentives now, they're amazing, after 2 years. When I first got mine, I had to nickel and dime the dealer, and my car has a number of issues that's needed sorting (it's a first model year) and corporate has returned $3200 to me thus far (which has effectively lowered my lease payment considerably).

Bandit1

I'm sure I could get my money's worth out of it just hot lapping Nurburgring with different cars, and playing with photomode and the livery editor, just a little disappointed with the direction they took the single player content and I'm getting like four other games in the next four weeks lol.

First of all, great photos. I've no idea how to use DSLR camera settings so...I'll get to it hopefully.

Secondly, I bought the game and just played an hour of it now. I put down the controller to say that I'm utterly impressed with the motion controls. I went from analog sticks to just fully motion controls, no driver assists for braking and acceleration, no driving lines, no notifications. Just motion controls. I'm so surprised no one has mentioned this except the users in this thread...It's crazy good. I'm not even going to get a wheel anymore because of this...

I'm glad to hear it. I'm typically too busy to play games nowadays, which is unfortunately, but I recently beat Last Guardian and I'm on a gaming streak again. I'm hoping Gran Turismo Sport will be worthy. So far from the hour I've played, the game is really fun.

I hadn't even heard anything about the motion controls until now, sounds pretty cool.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Can you guys keep your eyes out for some tire sales? We got our first taste of snow last night and i'm in need for a new winter set

Do we have any Type R owners in here?

I’m wondering if any of y’all have experienced the gear grind from 1-2. I saw a couple of YouTube videos of it earlier this week and now it’s even in Jalopnik so the issue might be blowing up soon.

I hadn't even heard anything about the motion controls until now, sounds pretty cool.

David Incorporated Esq is the initial GAF member to mention it. I hadn't heard of it until now. I know other games on PS4 have used motion controls but they've never been really good. I end up just using an old wheel or the normal analog sticks on a DS4 controller.

It is (even if this guy isn't very good).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWDr-L7khuA

Thanks again. It's seriously so good that I am saving money not buying a new wheel, pedals, shifter, and chair. Plus, I always hated the clutter the wires and everything when playing a racing game. I just want to go home, relax, play in an environment where I don't need to clean up afterwards.

It's so much easier to counter steer with these motion controls. I set up the L2/R2 triggers as the shifters, X/Square as the gas/brake pedals to mirror my own cars' steering wheel. It takes a while getting to use pressing X and Square for gas and brake again though. But I got use to it in no time.

I absolutely loved my time with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe and Mazda MX-5. The controls and physics are still nuanced enough that these cars feel completely different and I need to use a different strategy on the same track to win again the AI. I'll try online tonight.

Do we have any Type R owners in here?

I'm wondering if any of y'all have experienced the gear grind from 1-2. I saw a couple of YouTube videos of it earlier this week and now it's even in Jalopnik so the issue might be blowing up soon.

Does owning it in GTS count? If so...then not yet.

Question for you though, who is the girl in your avatar picture? Looks familiar from maybe a Korean drama, but not sure.

-------------------------------

With all that said, it's really sad and disheartening to see this game being torn to shreds in the review thread, OT, Amazon, and everywhere else. It actually deterred me from buying the game, even knowing what to expect...that is until David Incorporated Esq mentioned motion controls and I looked at gameplay again. I love Forza and other racing games, but nothing ever gripped me as much as GT's gameplay.

Sorry for hiding out in this thread and talking about virtual cars when we should be talking about real cars. But it's scary in the GTS threads right now.

golem

With all that said, it's really sad and disheartening to see this game being torn to shreds in the review thread, OT, Amazon, and everywhere else. It actually deterred me from buying the game, even knowing what to expect...that is until David Incorporated Esq mentioned motion controls and I looked at gameplay again. I love Forza and other racing games, but nothing ever gripped me as much as GT's gameplay.

Sorry for hiding out in this thread and talking about virtual cars when we should be talking about real cars. But it's scary in the GTS threads right now.

The game sounds pretty fun and the photo mode looks to die for (I love photo modes) but the fact its so heavily based on online competition makes me think twice. Also I want to see what kind of updates Polyphony actually puts out for the game-- making content speedily isn't really their strong suit. Will probably wait a bit for it to hit the used bins.

Oh yeah and its super shitty the CSL Elite PS4 only comes in a bundle, apparently Sony demanded this. No easy way to upgrade my normal CSL Elite for the PS4 version.

v1lla21

Always love it when the completely auto-oblivious personalities on GAF call someone a moron for making shit up...and present me the opportunity to make them look like the arrogant twats they are.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=252657288&posted=1#post252657288
I’ve seen posts about gas before on gaf and you have people putting the lowest because “no difference” it’s not just about power but about how healthy/well your car will be running down the line.

Hesemonni

Banned
Top Bottom