• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Twitch subscriptions are about to change, adding 2 new options

TheFatMan

I Am lost with the whole paying to watch people play video games even watching them for free is does not appeal also do they get ad revenue aswell like youtube what am i missing ?

Some of them get ad revenue or are partnered with companies.

And a lot (Almost all) of the streams are more like a hang out then actually watching someone play a game.

Falchion

I'm sure some people will use these options, the only way I will is if Twitch Prime jumps to the $10 level which it won't.

I'll keep watching for free although the only time I really see a stream is when they upload a recording to YouTube. Have yet to see a streamer I thought was worth paying for or even following closely.

Gotta get that money. I guess there is no doubt Twitch will continue getting half of the sub money? If that's the case I can see streamers just telling people to stick to basic sub and continue just donating.

Crazy to think just how donation/sub focused the majority of streams have become. It'd be an interesting study to do.

There's a streamer I know who already uses a propitiatory tiered subscription system, seems to work out well for him. I think this almost certainly will benefit streamers, since subscribers essentially represent a fairly consistent income stream for them. I wonder how (if?) they'll implement exclusive features that higher-tiered subs get over lower-tiered ones.

aeolist

Banned
Honestly, I'll admit, I don't understand why people even watch streamer's

I'm not trying to be nasty, I honestly don't see the appeal

i learn from the really good players in overwatch, and moonmoon's just straight up hilarious. he does a lot of different stuff and is always interacting with his chat room so it stays fresh.

i also watch some dota streamers if there's no pro games going on just for the hype plays.

Euphor!a

Banned
This seems really sketchy on Twitch's part quite honestly. A completely transparent way to siphon money from streamers.

Isn't this just a way to get more money out of popular streamers and their more devoted fans?

Although I guess the streamers do benefit from having higher tiers. I have always thought tips/donations fulfil the desire for higher levels of support.

lmimmfn

i learn from the really good players in overwatch, and moonmoon's just straight up hilarious. he does a lot of different stuff and is always interacting with his chat room so it stays fresh.

i also watch some dota streamers if there's no pro games going on just for the hype plays.
Thanks, I honestly didn't see the appeal, so honestly that's fair enough, in that context would you pay for the that entertainment though?

Anytime I see some streamers I just see random folk throwing $10-50 here and there, their name appearing in lights, forgotten about and the stream continues.

Heigic

Plenty of people donate more than $25 a month so this seems like a good option.

Isn't this just a way to get more money out of popular streamers and their more devoted fans?

Although I guess the streamers do benefit from having higher tiers. I have always thought tips/donations fulfil the desire for higher levels of support.

Sure but difference is Twitch doesn't get any of that extra money

Syf

Banned
I think people sub to show appreciation to the streamer. Emotes is a nice bonus.
Yeah. There's a couple streamers I'm considering doing this for and I don't care about the emotes at all. They give good, consistent entertainment and I think they deserve some $.

There are many different kinds of streamers. For instance, I don't watch online competitive games and I usually dislike flashy streams with loud people and insanely fast chats. I like quieter, smaller streams where you can watch entertaining games and interact with the streamer in a meaningful way.

For example, Dumb Game Monday by Easy Allies has been one of my favorite things to watch in the past few weeks. Sometimes I'm in the mood for speedruns, or unique events like TV show marathons or Twitch Plays Pokémon. There's a lot of quality stuff for everyone.

Platy

Watching movies is getting more and more expensive.

I spend more time watching streamers than watching movies at the theaters per month.

SO if I had more money I would easily donate to my favorite streamers =P

For $25/month, I need to outright get a t-shirt at minimum every month. Twitch provides the shirt and the streamer designs the pattern.

It's funny they're using emotes as incentives for higher sub prices

bc as Twitch gets bigger and becomes more mainstream I see Twitch chat dying or being set to automatically be off, it's legitimately a toxic thing about the site and everyone just puts it off as being toxic and refuses to address any of the problems it has

Twitch chat dying? Not a chance. A big reason why people use Twitch is to interact with streamers and other viewers. Being able to chat is kinda essential, toxic though it may be.

As long as Jesse Cox, Trihex and Bob Ross dont change their sub amounts im good.

It's not going to change the base subscription cost. Streamers can add the $9.99 and $24.99 tiers as further options. And Bob being a dead man probably means he's probably not involved in the decision. :p

border

That's my take-away from this. The lack of imagination is real.

Twitch chat is already a cacophony of emote spamming. Giving people exclusive emotes is only going to encourage more of that, resulting in a less pleasant experience for even the people that are paying $25/month.

With so much potential revenue being stolen by PayPal/Patreon donations, you'd think that Twitch might be trying a little harder to come up with ways to use them as an intermediary payment processor for donations. They control the entire stream and entire chatroom....the best incentive they can think up is emotes?

WaterAstro

People don't understand. It's emotes for the Streamer, not yourself.

I'm guessing this is because some loyal fans would make multiple accounts to sub to one streamer. Maybe this is to alleviate that stuff.

Beardy

Yeah. There's a couple streamers I'm considering doing this for and I don't care about the emotes at all. They give good, consistent entertainment and I think they deserve some $.

You're better off donating that money directly to them then. If the cuts are going to be anything like they are right now, Twitch will be taking half the money for themselves, so a streamer will only get half of the $9.99 or $24.99 subs.

People don't understand. It's emotes for the Streamer, not yourself.

I'm guessing this is because some loyal fans would make multiple accounts to sub to one streamer. Maybe this is to alleviate that stuff.

This is almost entirely because Twitch wants a cut of the money from Patreon that streamers have set up. They've already implemented Bits and Cheers which was a way to cut into the donation money.

Twookie

25 dollars a month??

what the hell. there's NO streamer that's worth that much.

oh well, I guess that option weren't really ment for people like me anyway - c'est la vie

EloKa

Is there a difference between subing plus donating now Compared to this?
$25 Donation: the streamer gets the full amount minus the transaction fees, lets say $23 for the streamer, $2 for the payment provider, $0 for Twitch

$25 Subscription: (if they handle it like the $5 subs): the streamer gets around $12, Twitch gets the other $13 (and pays the payment provider with few cents)

Gattsu25

Banned
If anyone used the Curse mod manager for games like WoW that has also now been officially rebranded to Twitch

Seems like Amazon/Twitch are making moves.

SJRB

Gold Member
Pricing aside, that's like zero incentive to upgrade to a higher sub tier.

Bizarre. If you want to support your favourite streamer with more money than your monthly subscription: donate.

Absolutely and totally ridiculous and theres going to be a lot of individuals that will pay 25$ a month to a streamer and those individuals to me are whats wrong with the system. I cant even imagine the mind that goes through said individual that will pay 25$ to watch someone play WoW for example when they could pay 15$ and play the game themselves.

EloKa

and those individuals to me are whats wrong with the system. I cant even imagine the mind that goes through said individual that will pay 25$ to watch someone play WoW for example when they could pay 15$ and play the game themselves.
Those damn individuals that attend sports events when they can play it on their own for free! Or those individuals that attend a concert when they can just buy the CD for much less. I can't even imagine why someone would enjoy something that I don't enjoy.

Goronmon

Neo Member
I cant even imagine the mind that goes through said individual that will pay 25$ to watch someone play WoW for example when they could pay 15$ and play the game themselves.

I mean, the though process isn't actually that difficult to follow.

1) This person creates content I enjoy.
2) If I give them money then I will be supporting their ability to create this content that I enjoy

Plus, if anything, it's less about the specific games being played and more about the personalities of the streamer and the people they play with.

For those a little confused about emotes, stream channels unlock more custom emote slots depending on their sub count, these bigger monthly tiers are worth more subs on the counter to unlock more emotes slots for that channel, the person paying gains no extra benefit apart from paying more per month right now.

$25 Donation: the streamer gets the full amount minus the transaction fees, lets say $23 for the streamer, $2 for the payment provider, $0 for Twitch

$25 Subscription: (if they handle it like the $5 subs): the streamer gets around $12, Twitch gets the other $13 (and pays the payment provider with few cents)

It's like bits, you can either donate £10 paypal to someone you like or you can give them 1000 bits (£10) but it cost you £13 to buy those bits, £3 goes to amazon payments.

Absolutely and totally ridiculous and theres going to be a lot of individuals that will pay 25$ a month to a streamer and those individuals to me are whats wrong with the system. I cant even imagine the mind that goes through said individual that will pay 25$ to watch someone play WoW for example when they could pay 15$ and play the game themselves.

To some $25 on per-month level is on about same level of significance as randomly deciding to buy an extra pack of chewing gum from the shop. An insignificant amount if you really like a certain streamer and feel like he/she gives a lot of entertainment in your life.

Luckily subscriptions are not something you need to have so nobody is forced to use the more expensive ones especially.

Those damn individuals that attend sports events when they can play it on their own for free! Or those individuals that attend a concert when they can just buy the CD for much less. I can't even imagine why someone would enjoy something that I don't enjoy.

Its not really the same now is it? I am biased regarding these subs I will admit that, donating from time to time is fine, but subbing to someone just to watch them play games for 25$ just to get trivial stuff for chat is ridiculous. I will never accept nor condone such a thing even if I were to become a full time streamer myself.

EloKa

Its not really the same now is it? I am biased regarding these subs I will admit that, donating from time to time is fine, but subbing to someone just to watch them play games for 25$ just to get trivial stuff for chat is ridiculous. I will never accept nor condone such a thing even if I were to become a full time streamer myself.
if you do not like the comparison to sport events or live music: have you heard of PayTV?

there are people that like to spend some amount of money to support to support their favorite content creators. In contrast to PayTV you aren't required to pay at all but still get the content for free as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the Streamers if you want to.

I see it as an educational tool for learning tricks and techniques to getting better at your favourite games (learnt some useful tips at improving at Battlefield from a streamer).

Also, I find it to be cathartic in a way. Listening to a streamer talk about a certain aspect of the game he/she is playing and getting to hear his/her opinion on it can be quite interesting, IMO.

Don't really have much to say about this. I just hope Twitch doesn't eventually move to something where they start mandating that some current features that are for everyone are now locked behind a paywall.

I'm cool if this is just Twitch saying they'll allow more subscription options because it helps streamers and has a side benefit that Twitch can get more money on new, pricier subscriptions. I won't be cool if this ends up being a tool Twitch can use to put features behind a paywall as a forceful hand to get increased subscriptions or tier upgrades.

Is there any streamer worth $25 a month?

I think the top tier is designed for super fans rather than normal viewers.

The "new subscriber" sound effects are going to be even more obnoxious now on some streams, aren't they?

$25 subscriber basically destroys your headphones immediately.

yeah, Twitch should ban the subscriber and donation auto soundeffects :E I get it that people want to be noticed but can't the streamer themselves just acknowledge it live instead of everyone having this obnoxious 30 second sound/animation splash on screen :E /rant

if you do not like the comparison to sport events or live music: have you heard of PayTV?

there are people that like to spend some amount of money to support to support their favorite content creators. In contrast to PayTV you aren't required to pay at all but still get the content for free as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with supporting the Streamers if you want to.

Perhaps, however my opinion still stands. There are things that I simply cant condone/like but I will however not dismiss or throw a tantrum at said person(s). Simple as that. Its not like I can do anything about it lol.

RedZaraki

Banned
I'm not surprised.

Every little stupid thing becomes a way for some people to "show off".

A fool and their money are soon separated, etc.

Top Bottom