• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, maybe I misinterpreted your point.

I just think we need to tone down the panic at every minor little development in GOP healthcare reform. Not every effort is the same, and not every little thing demands constant attention under a microscope.

Arizona governor likes the bill: "This is passing now, probably within a few days"
Rand Paul gives a list of demands: "Welp, there's his breaking point, this is passing now"
Trump makes a vague Murkowski tweet: "She's voting yes now"

None of that mattered and it was an hour or two of panic that didn't need to happen.

People need to calm down. I realize the stakes are high, but this isn't something people can keep up. Eventually, to cope with the stress, they just tune out. You don't need play by play up to the minute news to be informed about politics.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PublicPolicyPolling
PublicPolicyPolling‏ @ppppolls
Our new VA poll for @EqualityVA shows Democrat Ralph Northam leading Republican Ed Gillespie 43-40 in Gov race:

From their Twitter.

http://www.equalityvirginia.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/VirginiaResultsEV.pdf

Note the 3% difference in republican vote for their governor and their lieutenant governor. 40% vote for the GOP governor candidate, while 37% vote for the GOP lieutenant governor candidate.

The lieutenant governor candidate is a woman.

Loxley

NcxeSRJ.png

He's STILL going.

Jesus.

You have to remember, any time Trump can foster a divide between the right and left as well as white people and POC, he will. Seriously, I cannot remember a president in US history who so publicly tried to divide the country, it feels unprecedented.

Regarding this flag shit, it allows him to look like the most patriotic president ever to (idiotic) Republicans and add fuel to the fire regarding the right's views on black people protesting. Dude doesn't like it when black people speak out, so he'll be first in line to tell Republicans that they shouldn't either.

You have to remember, any time Trump can foster a divide between the right and left as well as white people and POC, he will. Seriously, I cannot remember a president in US history who so publicly tried to divide the country, it feels unprecedented.

Regarding this flag shit, it allows him to look like the most patriotic president ever to (idiotic) Republicans and add fuel to the fire regarding the right's views on black people protesting. Dude doesn't like it when black people speak out, so he'll be first in line to tell Republicans that they shouldn't either.

Yep, and it just "forces" people who are otherwise more or less neutral, or unaware, or ignorant about the divides between demographic groups, to pick sides. And I bet you a lot of white people will knowingly or unknowingly side with "their team" and that affects their voting behavior.

It's the easiest trick in the book of fascist douchebags. Villify a minority, force that minority to react, and that reaction is met with annoyance or opposition from the majority. And like that you just reel in the majority to your side, even the ones who are neutral or moderate on the surface.

Fear of others and group identity are strong political tools.

So it's just good practice for Trump to focus on this issue. It's doing shit like this that got him elected.

I just think we need to tone down the panic at every minor little development in GOP healthcare reform. Not every effort is the same, and not every little thing demands constant attention under a microscope.

Arizona governor likes the bill: "This is passing now, probably within a few days"
Rand Paul gives a list of demands: "Welp, there's his breaking point, this is passing now"
Trump makes a vague Murkowski tweet: "She's voting yes now"

None of that mattered and it was an hour or two of panic that didn't need to happen.

People need to calm down. I realize the stakes are high, but this isn't something people can keep up. Eventually, to cope with the stress, they just tune out. You don't need play by play up to the minute news to be informed about politics.
I totally agree. When I read your post at first I thought you were chiding liberals for not taking Graham-Cassidy seriously. I've been growing extremely tired with the constant anxiety attacks we've seen in this thread, like you said, over shit no one even remembers anymore because it wasn't that important. And it's usually been the same five or so people.

What does this mean?
It means Graham-Cassidy is passing.

Roanoke has Northam up 4, but I seem to recall them being somewhat shoddy? Monmouth suggested they'll have good news for him.

I hope Northam can match Clinton's what, 6-point win in 2016. And that we're not on the bum end of ticket splitting like usual.

The Associated Press‏Verified account
@AP
BREAKING: Trump says he'll visit Puerto Rico on Tuesday, says island was `hit as hard as you can hit'

John Harwood‏Verified account @JohnJHarwood 23m23 minutes ago
Trump on his administration's response to Puerto Rico crisis: "we're really getting good marks for the work we're doing"

Jennifer Bendery‏Verified account
@jbendery
Puerto Rico "is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It’s a big ocean. It’s a very big ocean." -- President Trump, 9/26/17

Depressing

So Nigel Farage is campaigning for Roy Moore? WTH is he so interesting in American politics suddenly at a local level? Also this is actually AGAINST Trump so even more fascinating...

Whose he getting paid by is my question?

chadskin

North Korean government officials have been quietly trying to arrange talks with Republican-linked analysts in Washington, in an apparent attempt to make sense of President Trump and his confusing messages to Kim Jong Un’s regime.

The outreach began before the current eruption of threats between the two leaders, but will likely become only more urgent as Trump and Kim have descended into name-calling that, many analysts worry, sharply increases the chances of potentially catastrophic misunderstandings.

“Their No. 1 concern is Trump. They can’t figure him out,” said one person with direct knowledge of North Korea’s approach to Asia experts with Republican connections.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...91909e-a278-11e7-8c37-e1d99ad6aa22_story.html

Trying to make sense of Trump? Good luck with that.

lush

Considering statements from NK and Kim Jong Un in response to his incoherent ramblings, they most definitely seem to have the dotard in chief figured out.

It means Graham-Cassidy is passing.

Roanoke has Northam up 4, but I seem to recall them being somewhat shoddy? Monmouth suggested they'll have good news for him.

I hope Northam can match Clinton's what, 6-point win in 2016. And that we're not on the bum end of ticket splitting like usual.
Completely anecdotal. However for the past month and a half, I've been bombarded with pro-Gillepsie, anti-Northam ads all over TV. It hasn't been until the past few weeks that the ads have been more 50-50 in terms of each campaign.

studyguy

She kind of backed down in a subsequent tweet but yeah. She’s a good reporter but her undying loyalty to the NYT as an institution is weird.

Followup said the issue was more nuanced than Silver's trolling attempt. Silver isn't laying the entire Trump issue at NYT's feet, but at this point no one is willing to come out and say they were complicit in throwing tinder on the non-issue email story.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Jennifer Bendery‏Verified account
@jbendery
Puerto Rico "is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It’s a big ocean. It’s a very big ocean." -- President Trump, 9/26/17
Thank you, Donny, for putting the bare minimum effort into your third grade geography project.

studyguy

Roger Stone is acting like a jackass in this closed door testimony. Hope he likes his house raided.

I always wonder what the value is in questioning Stone. The guy is an actual troll. Even as an advisor, I'd wonder what his value is since he basically makes his living now being shocking and weird.

Ernest

Banned
It's one thing for redneck rubes to believe the shit they see on Fox, but when actual lawmakers start believing that shit, that's when we have some fucking problems.

I always wonder what the value is in questioning Stone. The guy is an actual troll. Even as an advisor, I'd wonder what his value is since he basically makes his living now being shocking and weird.

He is a backdoor to guccifer and WikiLeaks. He's been in contact with them before and after the Hillary Clinton email dump. He's of no use but if they can get his electronics and files they might find something.

It's one thing for redneck rubes to believe the shit they see on Fox, but when actual lawmakers start believing that shit, that's when we have some fucking problems.

This is something that comes up a bit on a few podcasts I listen to - most Republican lawmakers at this point ARE Fox News rubes. It's what they have on in their office and their home, it's what their staff watches... They have access to real information because they're elected officials but they're just as influenced by Fox propaganda as their voters.

I mean, Dems surely can't screw up a governor race in VA. If they do, well, 2018 ain't nothing to be hopeful about.

2018 was lost when Ossoff didn't win, or maybe it was when Quist didn't win, or maybe it was when a focus group of Trump voters still supported Trump, or maybe it was that time McConnell smiled...

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Do you ever wonder if we are capable of great things anymore? The german elections reminded me of what the allies did in Germany post WW2. Could we even do that anymore?

Sibylus

Banned
Re-upping my call for a flag that just has a number instead of a field of stars so that we can easily update it when we add states.

Tbh I think an updated one of these would be ace (probably would have to have concentric circles of stars and a larger blue patch):

220px-US_flag_13_stars_%E2%80%93_Betsy_Ross.svg.png

I actually wanted at one time to update this with a waiter's wipe cloth but it was really hard to draw.

There really should be a symbol for service workers though! We don't get hammers.

A centered, upthrust spatula! Hammer sickle spats, compats.

Do you ever wonder if we are capable of great things anymore? The german elections reminded me of what the allies did in Germany post WW2. Could we even do that anymore?

Of course, many Americans are capable, it's just we're being held back by the slack jawed, greedy mud people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom