• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

Mask

Can I get that mirror too?

I'm really excited about this film, everything I've seen in the trailers seems pretty spot on so far, and as much as I liked the original series, it was mostly Curry's performance that made it. Seems like Skaarsgard's performance is going to do the same, except I have high hopes for the rest of the film to be really good as well!

I'll be honest, there's still a part of me that wishes this was getting the Stranger Things, 8-10 part miniseries treatment. There's just so much meat to the novel, especially in regards to the history of It and Derry, and both the adult and child storylines, that I would love to see explored in the depth that a full season of television could provide. I couldn't be happier than what I've seem from this film so far, though.

I love that
the eyes appear first like that, especially when you go back to the book and the first thing that startles George are the yellow eyes in the darkness of the sewers

Voror

A bunch of PMs were already sent, but quote to reveal link.

I quite liked that.
I like that he despite putting on the whole act there's still something offputting that even Georgie seems to pick up on even when he gets into it with the popcorn bit, especially when Pennywise just stops and stares.

I like the little cold glitches in the nice clown persona.

Definitely gonna check this out.
Yeah. Those were weird (in a good way). This Pennywise seems more beastial and less composed than Curry's old, wise demon. I'm not against it. Just different. My only fear is that Pennywise doesn't have enough screentime. Helps that the kids look really good though.

There were yellow eyes in there: the sort of eyes he had always imagined but never actually seen down in the basement....

...He saw himself getting up and backing away, and that was when a voice—a perfectly reasonable and rather pleasant voice—spoke to him from inside the stormdrain.

“Hi, Georgie,” it said.
Yeah, they nailed it, especially that voice

Jarmel

Banned
It's not bad but the Curry version is better. Curry feels a bit more natural while Skaarsgard at points does seem to be trying too hard such as when he shakes his body when he formally introduces himself.

Hungry animals tend to salivate at the sight of food...

It's a clever detail that I don't recall being in the book but makes a lot of sense
That supposedly has to do with the mouth prosthetic as it makes Skaarsgard to drool a lot and they just reworked it into the character.

It's not bad but the Curry version is better. Curry feels a bit more natural while Skaarsgard at points does seem to be trying too hard such as when he shakes his body when he formally introduces himself.
Curry sounded like a guy smoking a pack a day trying to lure a kid into his creepy van.

And the make-up + that hungry stare made me think of this

af090aeb24d5ef75f5cf4f90c0cce986--female-photos-lions-den.jpg

Curry looks like a serial killer with make-up, this looked like something unnatural and weird and animalistic

Yeah. Those were weird (in a good way). This Pennywise seems more beastial and less composed than Curry's old, wise demon. I'm not against it. Just different. My only fear is that Pennywise doesn't have enough screentime. Helps that the kids look really good though.

I would say it's more true to the book. In the book, he always had a bestial slant to him. It was always fucked.

Jarmel

Banned
Curry sounded like a guy smoking a pack a day trying to lure a kid into his creepy van.

And the make-up + that hungry stare made me think of this

af090aeb24d5ef75f5cf4f90c0cce986--female-photos-lions-den.jpg

The kid actor is vastly better in the 2017 version. Skaarsgard's voice is a bit more growly and lower pitched which obviously fits the tone they're going for. I do agree that Curry sounds like a smoker (which he is) but he pretty much nails the friendlier tone.

I've been going through the audiobook and it's sort of weird to describe but I feel Curry's version is closer to the tone in the book as that scene in particular has Pennywise being somewhat charming and happy while Skaarsgard is closer visually such as the orange eyes appearing from the darkness.

Pennywise is laughing when he rips Georgie's arm off. It's just a different take on the material. I don't mind Skaarsgard being predatory as that's Pennywise is a nutshell but rather him shaking his body just comes across as too much.

I like how you get the sense that
there's some huge nightmarish predator behind those eyes and guttural growl and then it assumes the clown form before appearing to George to keep him from running away.

Krowley

I don't feel the performance is better than Curry's, but it's still a great approach to the character, and everything else in the scene (style, cinematography, pacing, script) was miles better.

The whole thing worked really well. And it was legit scary, too.

Top Bottom