• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

andycapps

I really am surprised that Solomon committed.. from Fuck Michigan to joining.. weird.. but that's a good pick up for them and can help build up that defense immediately for them because they need it after that turnover..

So far.. I'm guessing Marvin Wilson is going to go to FSU. That is supposedly the word right now.
Will be interesting to see if Solomon finishes his career there.

Reminds me of what happened with EJ Price last year with USC and he has now left.

Reminds me of what happened with EJ Price last year with USC and he has now left.
They have solid coaching (especially defensively) the depth chart is in his favor, Solomon and Gary help to form a nice one-two punch.

I would think he would stay there since he committed there.. but.. who knows.

jfkgoblue

The power of the mom.
Didn't work on Najee Harris.

He's coming into a great situation. Will get plenty of playing time as the entire starting Dline is getting drafted with 2 of them expected to go in the first round. Has the most overqualified Dline coach in CFB in Greg Mattison and arguably the best DC in CFB with Dr. Blitz Don Brown. The talent is there on the Dline, it's just young. Gary looked fantastic at times last year, but at other times, he looked like a freshman.

It would be dumb for him to leave.

andycapps

They have solid coaching (especially defensively) the depth chart is in his favor, Solomon and Gary help to form a nice one-two punch.

That's a long way from his mom. Time will tell on whether that will wear on them.

That's a long way from his mom. Time will tell on whether that will wear on them.
Jim and Company just need to work him and make him feel at home.

Or he can do what Malik Hooker's mom did and tell everyone not to answer his calls and make him finish it out. Something like that..

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Didn't work on Najee Harris.

He's coming into a great situation. Will get plenty of playing time as the entire starting Dline is getting drafted with 2 of them expected to go in the first round. Has the most overqualified Dline coach in CFB in Greg Mattison and arguably the best DC in CFB with Dr. Blitz Don Brown. The talent is there on the Dline, it's just young. Gary looked fantastic at times last year, but at other times, he looked like a freshman.

It would be dumb for him to leave.

I had to google these names. A "too old" DC who got demoted for a yale/UCONN/Boston College guy.

jfkgoblue

I had to google these names. A "too old" DC who got demoted for a yale/UCONN/Boston College guy.
What? Mattison won a Super Bowl as the Ravens DC, he could have taken any DC job he wanted, but he asked to be demoted and wants to retire at Michigan. Don Brown has had dominant defenses everywhere he has been.

EDIT:Mattison left the year before the SB team.
I knew that it was gonna be Sparty, lol.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Did think I heard on the radio, that a kid decided to go to South Alabama over Michigan State. Kid is from Mobile, so I could understand staying near home.

What? Mattison won a Super Bowl as the Ravens DC, he could have taken any DC job he wanted, but he asked to be demoted and wants to retire at Michigan. Don Brown has had dominant defenses everywhere he has been.

I knew that it was gonna be Sparty, lol.

Shocking, win a super bowl with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Ngata.

Did think I heard on the radio, that a kid decided to go to South Alabama over Michigan State. Kid is from Mobile, so I could understand staying near home.

Shocking, win a super bowl with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs and Ngata.

Yep, if he was worth a damn they would have won 4 or 5...

cashman

Banned
Texas only got 1 recruit out of the top 20... of Texas. Transition class or not that is fucking terrible. Maybe if Herman hires a few more graphic design guys to make cool looking posters it will make up for not make a harder push for Tim Brewster.

Xavier McKinney, Mac Jones, Daniel Wright and Brian Robinson will enroll at Alabama on Feb 13.

Apparently, there's a second enrollment period for the spring. I've never before heard of something like that, but it looks like they'll all be able to participate in spring drills too. Honestly, I don't know how the QB situation is gonna work itself out in the future with 3 QBs who have a combined one year on campus, but I'm glad Jones is getting on sooner rather than later. We desperately need the depth from him and Tua.

cdyhybrid

Disappointing to lose some good players at the end of the class, but still a pretty good class. Ty Jones and some of the other WRs might get early PT but hopefully the rest of them can redshirt.

Texas only got 1 recruit out of the top 20... of Texas. Transition class or not that is fucking terrible. Maybe if Herman hires a few more graphic design guys to make cool looking posters it will make up for not make a harder push for Tim Brewster.

I think Texas only got 1 of the top 10 players out of Texas too

ag-my001

I was actually a bit concerned that hiring such a "hot commodity" coach would cause a big swing to you guys.

A&M has a decent looking class from the little I've seen. Nice to see two highly rated LBs.

Anyone know if this QB Mond is a Pro-style or Dual Threat guy? A&M's offense never goes right without a credible QB-run game.

Quake1028

I was actually a bit concerned that hiring such a "hot commodity" coach would cause a big swing to you guys.

A&M has a decent looking class from the little I've seen. Nice to see two highly rated LBs.

Anyone know if this QB Mond is a Pro-style or Dual Threat guy? A&M's offense never goes right without a credible QB-run game.

In his senior year at IMG, Mond has thrown for 1,946 yards with 20 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He added 775 yards rushing, averaging a little over five yards every attempt, along with 18 touchdowns on the ground.

Jarnet87

Looks like FSU's day is pretty much done, just waiting to see where this kid Marvin Wilson picks. It's nice to see Jimbo get good classes on paper not that we can put much stock into these things a year or two down the road. I think the last time I followed recruiting classes was in the mid 2000s when Bowden got Xavier Lee lol.

Andodalf

Banned
With Ray bama has the #1 class locked up.

How do y'all follow smaller schools recruiting? It's almost impossible for me to find out what's happening with troy.

Edit: Bama now has the first class above 320 on 247 since Florida in 2010.

Broank

The always fun all name team.
c3mqo-mvcaa1hmajqk8v.jpg

Kobe Buffalomeat cannot be a real. lol

And Mo Hurst, probably my favorite player since Brandon Graham. An absolute terror for the opposition.

We don't deserve success as long as we have a guy like Briles appologist Casey Horney on staff

The always fun all name team.
c3mqo-mvcaa1hmajqk8v.jpg

Kobe Buffalomeat cannot be a real. lol

And Mo Hurst, probably my favorite player since Brandon Graham. An absolute terror for the opposition.

How did they leave off Max Cummins- Texas?

jfkgoblue

Nico Collins to Michigan and I think we are done. Our WR class is ridiculous this year, hell this recruiting class is as a whole is ridiculous, stealing two top recruits from the South on NSD is something that I'd never have thought possible. I am convinced that Harbaugh went hard after Nico Collins to spite Malzohn.

El_Chino

Gonna call McElwain a closer now because he just went from ranked into the top 20 yesterday to a top 10 class today.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Nico Collins to Michigan and I think we are done. Our WR class is ridiculous this year, hell this recruiting class is as a whole is ridiculous, stealing two top recruits from the South on NSD is something that I'd never have thought possible. I am convinced that Harbaugh went hard after Nico Collins to spite Malzohn.
Is Gos Malzohn friends will Woll Smoth?

Herman better fix this. OSU feasted in Texas
Go back to the days that Texas got all the best players in the state

We were still getting most of the top recruits in the state in the early 2010's, but we never managed a 10 win season. Now we've put together 3 consecutive losing seasons so I'm just happy we still managed a top 30 class this year

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bama only picked up two DTs, and one is a JUCO? And only one DE? Well, Saban knows what he's doing more than I do, I guess.

Top Bottom