• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

TBH, I was looking for a shrine and I accidentally fell in a river. I swam to the nearest shore and I ended up finding an underground way into Hyrule castle, using stasis to ride a mine cart into the underside of Hyrule castle. I then explored the castle from the bottom up.

13ruce

Banned
No, he says:
But seriously. That line about twilight is so non-specific that it shouldn't be taken as such a strong indicator, especially since the more specific evidence contradicts it. It's not like Zelda mentions Zant and Midna.

Well the Embers of Twilight are the Sol.... So a Link must have gone to the Twilight Realm to have the Master Sword bathed in that Twilight of those artifacts.

The most possible thing imo is a merged timeline, one unknown event caused the merge of all timelines.

Honestly what surprises me the most is that the Master Sword still is imbued with the power of the Twili's/Twilight Realm artifacts. I thought when Midna broke that mirror that the power of the Sol's in the Master Sword would faint away. Since the connection to that world is gone after that.

Dartastic

I think the problem with the castle are those annoying guardians,most players will try to avoid them and climb to the top because they are so dangerous.

When you first arrive at the front gate,that was a missed opportunity because instead of being closed and force you to the side it should have been open so you can explore inside the castle after avoiding those fucking guardians,and arrive at the top floor eventually.

The outside area would still have been there for people that want to see even more.but they won't feel forced to use their climb abilities.
I dunno, I loved the castle. Whatever. What's the placement in the timeline? What are the guesses, at least?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I dunno, I loved the castle. Whatever. What's the placement in the timeline? What are the guesses, at least?
These were my thoughts, and the discovery of the Zora tablet mentioning Ruto fighting alongside Link has only made my initial conclusion stronger.

(I think it's Downfall, with the possibility of a convergence)

The castle was great. I understand people being upset you can basically skip a lot of it, but why would you? It had the best atmosphere out of any dungeon in the game and tons of nice loot everywhere.

watershed

Banned
I was surprised by how little the triforce figures into the game though it seemed like the real Triforce was present in the final boss room at Hyrule Castle. I think I caught a glimpse of the 3 spinning triforce pieces during Calamity Ganon's fall from the ceiling cut scene. Did anybody else catch this or any other mentions of the Triforce? It's kind of interesting how little it figured into the story.

RagnarokX

Well the Embers of Twilight are the Sol.... So a Link must have gone to the Twilight Realm to have the Master Sword bathed in that Twilight of those artifacts.

The most possible thing imo is a merged timeline, one unknown event caused the merge of all timelines.

Honestly what surprises me the most is that the Master Sword still is imbued with the power of the Twili's/Twilight Realm artifacts. I thought when Midna broke that mirror that the power of the Sol's in the Master Sword would faint away. Since the connection to that world is gone after that.
Or, since embers of twilight is not capitalized and are words that could have vague meaning, the references in that speech are tongue in cheek wink-nods that hold no actual story significance. The lore about Ruto becoming a sage and fighting Ganondorf on the other hand isn't vague at all. Even if it's meant to be taken seriously, the Twilight Realm isn't exclusive to Child Timeline and nothing about the reference specifically calls out Twilight Princess.

Are you assuming the master sword has sol power because it glows when around Ganon? Cuz it's glowed in other games without sol power (Wind Waker and Skyward Sword), and it only had sol power in TP when in the Twilight Realm.

Hydrus

Just beat the game. I give it a 9.5/10. Almost a perfect game, but still some flaws.

The Negatives:

Ok story, but not really fleshed out all that well. Seemed kind of rushed, especially if you didn't get all the memories.

Voice acting was iffy. I love that they added it and thought the voices were great, but the acting was bad.

Not enough voice acting. The characters say like three lines, then that's it. Gotta read the rest of the dialogue. Felt awkward.

Some technical issues.

Bad controls. Why do you have to put the bow away just to pull out a melee weapon? So frustrating. Certain things like dodging felt really clunky compared to past games.

Too many shrines. Should of had like 80 instead of 120.

Dungeons were OK, but felt small. I miss themed dungeons.

More dungeons and bosses.

Not enough music. The game was way too quite. I also noticed the music was way to low.

Weapons break way too easily.

Very little variety of enemies for such a huge game.

Weak ending.

None of that stuff I listed kills the game or anything. Just felt fixing those things would of made this game even better. Wont bother listing the positives since everything good has been said a million times already. With all that said I rank this as 1B on my Zelda list with Ocarina as 1A. Maybe with the future DLC, it will move up. It was an incredible experience and I definitely rank this as one of the best Nintendo games ever.

BTW what is with Zelda games having such brief/ bad endings? Like fuck, couldn't we have an ending with all the characters that helped, celebrating and maybe even a little Zelda romance lol.

BTW what is with Zelda games having such brief/ bad endings? Like fuck, couldn't we have an ending with all the characters that helped, celebrating and maybe even a little Zelda romance lol.

Eh? I'd say that beyond this game, most people would agree that modern Zelda games have had outstanding endings.

Twilight Princess with the mirror scene
Skyward Sword with Impa's death and the Link/Zelda romance
ALBW with the Triforce wish
Wind Waker has Hyrule flooding
Ocarina of Time is easily one of the most beloved endings in a video game

I think this game really just fucked up in the end.

Edzi

Eh? I'd say that beyond this game, most people would agree that modern Zelda games have had outstanding endings.

How can you not mention MM? Everything from the skull kid "fight" to the credits is amazing. All the NPC side quests you did finding closure is incredibly satisfying, and it contrasts with Link sadly riding off unfulfilled and unable to really find his own closure.

and maybe even a little Zelda romance lol.
Zelda romance would have felt wrong, because Link's true love was Ruto, his childhood friend. She even made him the Zora equivalent of an engagement ring.

Nothing will ever beat Skyward Sword's ending, showing Zelda's own adventures during the credits.

Ms.Galaxy

Yeah, the ending of Breath of the Wild felt rather open-ended. Like, it felt like the ending of some open world games where the ending is open ended for the sake of the epilogue, never ending chapter after the credits role. In fact, I was expecting that after the ending and was actually surprised when it didn't happen. Literally made me say, "that's it?"

Zelda romance would have felt wrong, because Link's true love was Ruto, his childhood friend. She even made him the Zora equivalent of an engagement ring.

Her name is Mipha.

On the topic of Zelda romance, Link doesn't look like he harbors any romantic feelings towards Zelda, and I don't blame him. She was a bitch to him for the majority of the time while he was still in her service, Zelda saw him as a living embodiment of her failures, and then instead of letting him die a warriors death, she threw him into a cryostasis healing chamber for 100 years with nothing for him but a tablet, shirt and an old pair of pants (Can't even give him a small note telling him anything. Seriously, if the King wasn't there to help him, how would Link have managed to know where to go, or what to do? Because neither Zelda nor her Sheikah ninjas could have known the that the spirit of the King would be there waiting for him), forcing him to loss all of his memories and possibly his original personality, and he lost his friends he grew up with (unless they were zoras).

Seriously, she might love Link, but if I was him I would stay 10,000 feet away from her and quit serving her after the Ganon thing.

Tagg9

I don't think it was ever implied that these feelings were mutual? It seemed to be very one-sided to me, but this might be down to the fact that Link never says anything.

Jonnax

I don't think they ever said that these feelings were mutual? I got the feeling that it was very one-sided, but this might be down to the fact that Link never says anything.

I don't think it was implied that it was one sided because it looks like a lot of the Zoras knew Link and were friends with him during his childhood.

Rather than in OOT where Link is just a confused kid.

I think someone who worked on the game said that they wanted the players to identify with Link so the ambiguity might be deliberate.

RagnarokX

I don't think it was implied that it was one sided because it looks like a lot of the Zoras knew Link and were friends with him during his childhood.

Rather than in OOT where Link is just a confused kid.

I think someone who worked on the game said that they wanted the players to identify with Link so the ambiguity might be deliberate.

Yeah, Link was childhood friends with Mipha and the other Zoras. But we don't know if Link thought of Mipha as more than a childhood friend. Mipha has that whole Hinata thing going for her, and Link is her Naruto.

Zekes!

Yeah, Link was childhood friends with Mipha and the other Zoras. But we don't know if Link thought of Mipha as more than a childhood friend. Mipha has that whole Hinata thing going for her, and Link is her Naruto.

Who is Sasuke

Who is Kakashi

Who is Rock Lee

Kanhir

To add to the debate about That Zelda Line, here's how it's done in the Japanese:

&#12300;&#36864;&#39764;&#12398;&#21091;&#12395;&#36984;&#12400;&#12428;&#12375;&#12288;&#12495;&#12452;&#12521;&#12523;&#12398;&#21191;&#32773;&#12424;
&#12288;&#12381;&#12398;&#12288;&#12383;&#12422;&#12414;&#12396;&#21162;&#21147;&#12392;&#12288;&#32080;&#23455;&#12379;&#12375;&#21091;&#25216;&#12434;&#35469;&#12417;
&#12288;&#22899;&#31070;&#12495;&#12452;&#12522;&#12450;&#12398;&#21517;&#12395;&#12362;&#12356;&#12390;&#12288;&#31069;&#31119;&#12434;&#25480;&#12369;&#12435;
&#12288;&#31354;&#12434;&#33310;&#12356;&#12289;&#26178;&#12434;&#12417;&#12368;&#12426;&#12289;&#40644;&#26127;&#12395;&#26579;&#12414;&#12429;&#12358;&#12392;&#12418;
&#12288;&#32080;&#12400;&#12428;&#12375;&#21091;&#12399;&#12288;&#21191;&#32773;&#12398;&#39746;&#12392;&#20849;&#12395;
&#12288;&#12373;&#12425;&#12394;&#12427;&#21147;&#12364;&#12288;&#12381;&#12394;&#12383;&#12392;&#12288;&#12381;&#12375;&#12390;&#36864;&#39764;&#12398;&#21091;&#12395;&#23487;&#12425;&#12435;&#12371;&#12392;&#12434;&#12301;

This is fairly vague, mainly thanks to faux-medieval Japanese grammar. I read it as a recounting of the events of Skyward Sword (which does include flying, time travel and fighting darkness), but it could easily be a reference to SS/OoT/TP.

(Japanese speakers, feel free to give a translation here; it could go a number of ways, so I don't want to translate it one way and be locked into that.)

In any case, the notable part is the part I underlined. &#40644;&#26127; is the Japanese word for dusk or twilight, but it's not the capital-T Twilight from Twilight Princess (which used the loanword &#12488;&#12527;&#12452;&#12521;&#12452;&#12488;). Again, it's vague and ambiguous, so it's unclear whether this is a direct reference to the events of TP, or just a playful callback on the part of the scriptwriters.

ortauq

Neo Member
According to many Zelda fans this is the strongest evidence we've got concerning the timeline:
https://youtu.be/PMP_M39rpkw?t=32s

It clearly mentions the hero of Twilight princess. That is true.
But when the champions start to talk noone listened to Zelda anymore.
While the champions are talking Zelda also makes a reference to Wind Waker and A Link to The Past.

In the German version of BOTW you can hear it more clearly.
https://youtu.be/-8EDbXxm0JA?t=1m13s
Zelda says something like
"Whether the hero crosses the oceans or recombines with the past..." in the German Version.

So everything Zelda said were just easter eggs. Nice little references, but no real evidence for any timeline.

takriel

According to many Zelda fans this is the strongest evidence we've got concerning the timeline:
https://youtu.be/PMP_M39rpkw?t=32s

It clearly mentions the hero of Twilight princess. That is true.
But when the champions start to talk noone listened to Zelda anymore.
While the champions are talking Zelda also makes a reference to Wind Waker and A Link to The Past.

In the German version of BOTW you can hear it more clearly.
https://youtu.be/-8EDbXxm0JA?t=1m13s
Zelda says something like
"Whether the hero crosses the oceans or recombines with the past..." in the German Version.

So everything Zelda said were just easter eggs. Nice little references, but no real evidence for any timeline.

I'm personally not a fan of Nintendo throwing easter eggs in the game despite them ruining the consistency of the timeline placement.

ortauq

Neo Member
I'm personally not a fan of Nintendo throwing easter eggs in the game despite them ruining the consistency of the timeline placement.

I am also not a fan of this kind of easter eggs, but now we know that the strongest Child-Timeline-evidence never was an evidence.

TheMink

The story of this game:

Everybody but Link is a bunk.

Oh at half my original power I'm going to single handedly kill every single Ganon iteration that you punks basically died immediately to.

Hell I'll take all four on in a row right off the bat without taking any damage.

Really what even happened to Link the first time.

Edit:

This is especially hilarious when you are given the initial impression that Link let everyone down one hundred years ago but that can't possibly be.

The only thing that I think happened was once all those losers died the divine beasts all shot their lasers at Link unexpectedly.

Opa-Pa

I genuinely always saw those lines as nothing more than little easter eggs and was very confused when I went online and read people talk about TP connections lol. Made me think I had missed something vital somewhere.

This is amusing because the latin american dub literally has her voiced by the actress that plays Hinata. Revali is Kiba as well haha.

BY2K

Membero Americo
All you Mipha fans...doesn't Kass straight up confirm that there was something between Zelda and Link during the last sidequest for him?

And? The Zora Armor was made by Mipha for Link meant as a engagement gift. It's a Zora tradition for the princess to make the armor for her future husband.

Mipha was planning to propose to Link after destroying Ganon.

Since Link doesn't really talk, there's no idea to know to whom he had feelings for.

takriel

And? The Zora Armor was made by Mipha for Link meant as a engagement gift. It's a Zora tradition for the princess to make the armor for her future husband.

Since Link doesn't really talk, there's no idea to know to whom he had feelings for.

Goddamn Mipha is best waifu confirmed.

On the topic of Zelda romance, Link doesn't look like he harbors any romantic feelings towards Zelda, and I don't blame him. She was a bitch to him for the majority of the time while he was still in her service, Zelda saw him as a living embodiment of her failures, and then instead of letting him die a warriors death, she threw him into a cryostasis healing chamber for 100 years with nothing for him but a tablet, shirt and an old pair of pants (Can't even give him a small note telling him anything. Seriously, if the King wasn't there to help him, how would Link have managed to know where to go, or what to do? Because neither Zelda nor her Sheikah ninjas could have known the that the spirit of the King would be there waiting for him), forcing him to loss all of his memories and possibly his original personality, and he lost his friends he grew up with (unless they were zoras).
Completely ignoring any romance angle, I really disagree with your assessment on link and zelda's relationship. Yes she was a total bitch to him at the start, but that lasts for less than half the memories. Once link saves her in the desert she changes her tune and they get along in the rest of the memories, culminating in her stepping up and returning the life saving favor
All you Mipha fans...doesn't Kass straight up confirm that there was something between Zelda and Link during the last sidequest for him?
this is a zelda game, its pretty safe to assume Link has a harem hes completely oblivious to, but yea, most of Mipha's story was about how in love with Link she was. Even as a spirit she is just glad to see him one more time.

Haganeren

These were my thoughts, and the discovery of the Zora tablet mentioning Ruto fighting alongside Link has only made my initial conclusion stronger.

(I think it's Downfall, with the possibility of a convergence.

... But all those divine beasts are named after the sages right ?
They even told you in a cinematic i think.

And since one of those beast are named after Medli, it can only takes place after Wind Waker.... That's what i thought at least...

...lol, okay.

klier

I have yet to catch him, but I had an idea: would it be possible to tame the Lord of the Mountain, and them give him Kilton's saddle and gear so I'll be able to take him to the stables and keep him?

emb

The story of this game:

Oh at half my original power I'm going to single handedly kill every single Ganon iteration that you punks basically died immediately to.

Hell I'll take all four on in a row right off the bat without taking any damage.

Edit:

This is especially hilarious when you are given the initial impression that Link let everyone down one hundred years ago but that can't possibly be.

The only thing that I think happened was once all those losers died the divine beasts all shot their lasers at Link unexpectedly.
In that last memory, it looks like Link got overwhelmed by all the guardians. And this makes sense with the basic layout of events that Impa and (I think) the king tell you about. And it makes sense in terms of gameplay; fighting any of the bosses with 2+ guardians in the area would be tough.

It doesn't really make sense why the guardians aren't put to better use in the final battle though. Few of the ones in the castle are mobile, and Ganon hasn't even put any in his room to help. Obviously it's done for the purpose of gameplay, but for narrative it doesn't make much sense. Possible that Zelda was able to weaken or hold back a lot of them.

TheMink

In that last memory, it looks like Link got overwhelmed by all the guardians. And this makes sense with the basic layout of events that Impa and (I think) the king tell you about. And it makes sense in terms of gameplay; fighting any of the bosses with 2+ guardians in the area would be tough.

It doesn't really make sense why the guardians aren't put to better use in the final battle though. Few of the ones in the castle are mobile, and Ganon hasn't even put any in his room to help. Obviously it's done for the purpose of gameplay, but for narrative it doesn't make much sense. Possible that Zelda was able to weaken or hold back a lot of them.

Yeah I don't have any real issues with it and "narrative dissonance" is to be expected. I just find it funny that all of the champions go out like punks and you make then look so inept hahaha.

It would have been cool if the freed Divine Beasts were just shooting down guardians left and right during the final act. But it was still cool.

It would make speedrunning the game harder, but having a swarm of guardians outside during pig mode I don't think would be unreasonable especially with the light bow. And obviously if you freed the beast they just wreck them as previously mentioned.

Caelus

A lot of people have been complaining about the game's lack of 'real' dungeons, which I suppose is understandable since those have been the real 'meat' of past Zeldas.

So far I've gotten the Master Sword and only completed Vah Ruta, I have yet to enter the other ones but have already visited Rito Village and Gerudo Town. But I have seen gameplay of all of them since I'm not particularly spoiler-averse.

Even if the Divine Beasts aren't "dungeons", per se, the lead up to each and the process of freeing them have incredible atmosphere and are cool set pieces in of themselves. The music within each is creepy but fits the tone, the ability to enter outside areas in each of them establishes the elemental tone while still being grounded in the Shiekah tech aesthetic.

I'm fond of the whole mechanical beast design in general, I also think it's a light callback to the 2D Zelda 1 dungeon maps:

240px-TLoZ_Eagle_Dungeon_Map.png

(Eagle)

180px-Legend_of_zelda_dungeon_04.png

(Snake)

180px-Legend_of_zelda_dungeon_05.png

(Lizard)

225px-Legend_of_zelda_dungeon_08.png

(Lion)

I also appreciated how each settlement seemed to be genuinely screwed by the danger of the Divine Beasts - seeing that gigantic camel walk the desert as it targeted me with gigantic lightning bolts feels really oppressive, as well as witnessing a gigantic mechanical bird hover right above the natural harmony that is the very pretty Rito village.

Ultimately, I don't think these will be the standard 'dungeons' for future Zelda games, as they seem very tied to the specific story and aesthetic of this game. My favorite dungeon was Hyrule Castle, which had such incredible atmosphere and felt really seamless with the rest of the world.

I think the streamlined 'large shrines' that these beasts are could serve as valuable mini dungeon structures in future entries, while they focus their efforts on more dungeons like Hyrule Castle. I don't miss the "get map, get key, get compass" structure of past dungeons as much as I do their sense of mythology and architecture and oppressive feel. Rushing through the Castle, the Akkala Citadel, ruins and labyrinths sort of gave me that feel, but I have a feeling they can outdo themselves.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I was surprised by how little the triforce figures into the game though it seemed like the real Triforce was present in the final boss room at Hyrule Castle. I think I caught a glimpse of the 3 spinning triforce pieces during Calamity Ganon's fall from the ceiling cut scene. Did anybody else catch this or any other mentions of the Triforce? It's kind of interesting how little it figured into the story.

Zelda mentions she has a power passed down in her bloodline that can defeat Ganondorf, and the Triforce features in the closing cutscene accordingly. It's one of the reasons that this game is probably not in the Adult Timeline, since the Triforce is in the Sacred Realm by the end of tWW and can't be accessed without major hand-waving.

gardfish

... But all those divine beasts are named after the sages right ?
They even told you in a cinematic i think.

And since one of those beast are named after Medli, it can only takes place after Wind Waker.... That's what i thought at least...

As I recall, the only beasts mentioned in-game to be named after the sages are Ruta (Ruto) and Naboris (Nabooru). Rudania is pretty obvious (Darunia with the first two syllables switched), but Medoh's name is pretty conspicuously not addressed by anyone. It's clearly supposed to be an allusion to Medli out-of-universe, but given that the game taking place post-Wind Waker makes virtually no sense, I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

Haganeren

As I recall, the only beasts mentioned in-game to be named after the sages are Ruta (Ruto) and Naboris (Nabooru). Rudania is pretty obvious (Darunia with the first two syllables switched), but Medoh's name is pretty conspicuously not addressed by anyone. It's clearly supposed to be an allusion to Medli out-of-universe, but given that the game taking place post-Wind Waker makes virtually no sense, I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

I don't know, the only thing that make sense in those game chronologically are the Sages. Since Ocarina of Time the whole concept of "sage" is what put the chronology in the first place... The three others sages makes sense as you pointed yourself, so the fourth one (Medli) should too, there is no reason for this to be "out of the universe" suddenly.... And even less reason to not take that seriously, it's not like map's name which are from the whole franchise and is obviously not relevant. Here, we know from a fact several divine beast name come from the sage and there is no reason to think it's not the case for the others ones, especially as Darunia is so easy to guess.

Also in the book, there is a whole page about Zora and the fact they become uncivilized civilization in the downfall chronology and only there, it makes no sense for them to still have an history in Breath of the Wild.

Even the whole idea of having an advanced technologically Zelda can be a better follow up to Spirit Track than... Any other episode really. The only argument against BOTW not being in the Adult era that i see is that Ganondorf only appeared "once" at the end of Wind Waker and then other villain took the crown... But i don't see that as convincing, maybe Link really killed Ganondorf at the end of Wind Waker and his ressurection totally wiped out his human consciousness at this point since it's been so long... It works for me at least, there is far stranger stretch in the chronology...

I think people want to put it in the Downfall chronology because it's somewhat "elegent" since BOTW is kind of a follow up of Zelda 1... But there is really no reason for this to be the case, every serious lead point to be the follow up to Wind Waker the more i think about it. (Oh, and of course that "Hyrule" isn't flooded since we are on a new continent)

Edit : And even in the Sacred Realm, the power of the Goddess can still be used, i think that's what the triforce stuff at the end mean. It's not as if we have access to the triforce in order to make a wish... Or anyone trying to get it for that reason, the Triforce is really a power "out of this world".... Defenitly my most stretchy argument, but i still think it makes more sense than the Downfall one.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's not the Adult Timeline. Adult Timeline Hyrule was erased/washed away. It no longer exists. The sheer weight of coincidence for New Hyrule to end up looking completely like Old Hyrule over time is enough to naysay against it. There's also questions like: how did Zelda get the Triforce, which had left for the Sacred Realm in tWW, how did the Master Sword resurface, when it was buried in Ganondorf's head under the sea, why is there no evidence of the Spirit Tracks, and so on.

Ultimately, it's one of Downfall or Child.

Moff

The story of this game:

Edit:

don't forget that there were no shrines 100 years ago.
past link only had 3 hearts

Ms.Galaxy

It's not the Adult Timeline. Adult Timeline Hyrule was erased/washed away. It no longer exists. The sheer weight of coincidence for New Hyrule to end up looking completely like Old Hyrule over time is enough to naysay against it. There's also questions like: how did Zelda get the Triforce, which had left for the Sacred Realm in tWW, how did the Master Sword resurface, when it was buried in Ganondorf's head under the sea, why is there no evidence of the Spirit Tracks, and so on.

Ultimately, it's one of Downfall or Child.

Hell, we also have to question how Ganon even came back because without the Triforce of Power. he's but a mortal man who got stabbed in the head, killed, and turned to stone. Man is dead, he's not coming back. All remnants of Hyrule, its culture, its religions, its ancient relics, and its history are completely gone and buried, just as the King wished for in the end.

Top Bottom