• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Mueller Seeks White House Documents Related to Trump’s Actions as President

Mr Swine

Banned
Looking in from the outside (with only publicly available information), the obstruction case is a slam dunk. Trump tried to obstruct and openly admitted it to the Russians and, idiotically, on national TV.

Can’t Lardo in chief just say that he didn’t know what he said, or forget or just backtrack and call this fake news?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Can’t Lardo in chief just say that he didn’t know what he said, or forget or just backtrack and call this fake news?
There are multiple witnesses to a lot of this stuff, though. Not to mention his public comments, and that draft letter.

KoopaTheCasual

Looking in from the outside (with only publicly available information), the obstruction case is a slam dunk. Trump tried to obstruct and openly admitted it to the Russians and, idiotically, on national TV.
I think Gutek saying this deserves it's own thread.

If we can make the king of pessimism see hope, I may believe in magic.

CazTGG

Wray's not going to dick around with the investigation. The circumstances surrounding Comey's firing basically prevented any chance of Trump getting a patsy confirmed to lead the FBI. Also, Mueller's investigation isn't happening within the FBI anyway; it's under the broader DoJ umbrella.

If anyone's going to try to fuck this all up on Trump's behalf, it's Jefferson Beauregard Sessions. Nobody should trust Sessions to honor his recusal if Trump's pushing on him hard enough.

Doesn't Wray/his law firm have significant ties to Trump's businesses and Russia that present significant conflicts of interest given the objectives of his position? That seems like the kind of compromised person Trump would want in the FBI.

As for Sessions, i'm wary if he would want to push his luck with firing Mueller since even he knows how badly that went for Nixon.

Remember back when they tried to deny that that Trump was under investigation?

The President of the United States is under criminal investigation.

I'm a little amused every time I check news sites and a new Mueller update like this is on the sidebar in small font. Just knowing most people are scrolling past it to get to the celeb section or newest iPhone article. Or the Trump chumps getting aggravated/exasperated/worried by it.

Sent from my iPhone

shiba5

I wish I had hope that Congress will act if the obstruction of justice case is a "slam dunk", but I just don't. They will handwave it away, take their 400 million in Koch "legal bribery bux", and keep on fucking over the country to the benefit of the 1%.

I hope there's more - like actual collusion/money laundering. Something.

Zolo

I wish I had hope that Congress will act if the obstruction of justice case is a "slam dunk", but I just don't. They will handwave it away, take their 400 million in Koch "legal bribery bux", and keep on fucking over the country to the benefit of the 1%.

Could Trump still be charged even if Congress won't allow a charge while president?

Sephzilla

Thinking about it more, I kind of feel like Mueller probably has enough already for a slam dunk obstruction of justice case. But he's likely going further down the rabbit hole to find as much Trump/Russia stuff as he can to make a solid link on that front both to give him a second avenue that justifies impeachment plus to also help strengthen is obstruction case.

Basically Mueller is Ripley and Burke is Trump

a2script415.jpg

"Right against the wall!"

Ominym

Banned
Wow, who knew the pivot we were all waiting for was Gutek’s?

m3k

lol wellthereitis

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Could Trump still be charged even if Congress won't allow a charge while president?

There's no precedent for the situation we're in right now. Nixon left before it became an issue. We're in uncharted waters Constitutionally speaking, no one has a solid answer to that question because it's never come up before.

I don't believe so. I think he would have to be impeached to be charged, but I also don't know if there is a precedent for this. Is there?

There's no real precedent for any of this. The closest we come is Nixon and he made sure to get out before he could set a precedent so as not to do too much damage to the office.

Zolo

Thinking about it more, I kind of feel like Mueller probably has enough already for a slam dunk obstruction of justice case. But he's likely going further down the rabbit hole to find as much Trump/Russia stuff as he can to make a solid link on that front both to give him a second avenue that justifies impeachment plus to also help strengthen is obstruction case.

Basically Mueller is Ripley and Burke is Trump

a2script415.jpg

"Right against the wall!"

This case will also be important whether Trump gets away with it or not. He'll either be the new Nixon or the OJ Simpson of presidents who was obviously guilty, but still got away with it.

Gutek

Agree. I don’t see republicans acting on this. Not even if we have tape of Trump straight up asking Putin to swing the election for him. He’ll do his 4 years.

Mathieran

Banned
Remember back when they tried to deny that that Trump was under investigation?

The President of the United States is under criminal investigation.

Not only that, but remember when they claimed people shouldn't vote for Hillary because she would be the first president under investigation upon entering office? Masters of projection.

Ithil

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...e_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.0aa592216b66

WaPo says 11 of the 13 areas are:

1. Any email or document the White House holds which relates to Manafort,
2. All internal communications and documents related to the FBI interview of Flynn in January
3. Any document that discusses Flynn’s conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak in December
4. All records about meetings Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates held with White House Counsel Don McGahn in late January
5. All documents related to Flynn’s subsequent firing by the White House.
6. all documents related to meetings between Trump and Comey while Comey served at the FBI
7. Records of any discussions regarding Comey’s firing
8. Any documents related to a statement by then-press secretary Sean Spicer made on the night Comey was fired.
9. Any documents related to a meeting Trump held in the oval office with Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov the day after Comey was fired.
10. All records related to the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower with a Russian lawyer hosted by the president’s son
11. All documents related to the White House’s response to the publication of that meeting in July 2017.

Acorn

Isn't there a problem that technically the president is above the law? I'm sure I read an article that said the dumb "it's not illegal if the president does it" was correct.

“I am convinced that no matter where they end up, this investigation will run to completion even if they fire Mueller,” the official said. “There is a feeling of inevitability now that we didn’t have before — not of the outcome of the investigation, but that there will be an outcome. There is no escaping this thing, whatever the conclusions.”
Nothing stops this train.

rambis

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...e_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.0aa592216b66

2. All internal communications and documents related to the FBI interview of Flynn in January
3. Any document that discusses Flynn’s conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak in December
4. All records about meetings Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates held with White House Counsel Don McGahn in late January
6. all documents related to meetings between Trump and Comey while Comey served at the FBI
8. Any documents related to a statement by then-press secretary Sean Spicer made on the night Comey was fired.
9. Any documents related to a meeting Trump held in the oval office with Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov the day after Comey was fired.
10. All records related to the June 2016 meeting at Trump Tower with a Russian lawyer hosted by the president’s son
11. All documents related to the White House’s response to the publication of that meeting in July 2017

They really are lasering in on OOJ. Wow.

Allard

11. All documents related to the White House’s response to the publication of that meeting in July 2017

All these points are definitely showing a case being made for Obstruction of Justice but points 2 through 5 are actually really important. They can implicate a ton of people including Mike Pence who was head of the Trump Transition team.

Top Bottom