• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parking outside of other peoples house.

jm89

Are you parking in the same space all the time? Even though parking on the road outside my house is a free for all residents, I'd get a bit pissed if the same person kept parking outside my house.

Don't park over people's driveways. Don't take up 2 spaces. That's what I've learned from 18 years of being a passenger. If you're not doing either of those things you're probably fine (unless you stole a disabled parking spot).

Syriel

Street parking is fair game and legally available to everyone.

This.

parking anywhere is fine, taking up more than 1 spot is not cool.

The problem is you took two spaces!

Don't take two spaces!

If you suck at parking, go practice. Street parking is open to everyone, sure, but don't be a dick about it and take up 2 spots.

And this.

These posts on the first page pretty much cover it.

Why are you living somewhere with no parking if you have a car?

I honestly understand both sides - I get it, you need somewhere to park your car and it's super annoying when there's nowhere to park.

But I've also lived somewhere where people kept leaving their car parked in front, and it was really annoying. It wasn't their space to park in.

Honestly, I would honour the sign. You don't live on that street so you shouldn't park there.

Um, no, it actually isn't. Especially in the UK where every square inch is compact and accounted for.

Yeah but it's still a dick move to park in front of a house that isn't yours all the time.

Be a good citizen and neighbour, don't be that guy who starts wheeling out the legal technicalities.

Why should OP have a more difficult time parking because of some entitled homeowner who thinks they own the street?

The bolded could be asked of the homeowner who bought a house w/o a driveway or garage, and now thinks that they "own" the street parking.

OP, if its a public road they can fuck off. You're fine.

Speaking of which, why do people get so mad about cars in front of their house? My girlfriend's neighbors have told her parents that they don't want me parking in front kf their house. Why do you care? Its a public street. Also nobody is looking at your damn house.

Entitlement combined with a lack of thought for others. They don't care how difficult things are for others. They just feel that they "deserve" rights to a public space because it's near their house.

In most places you can apply to your city to have a space in front of a house designated as disabled. Not sure how you expect anybody to know your personal situation otherwise. They are public spots. Should people just never park anywhere because someone else might need it?

Sadly this doesn't work in San Francisco due to placard fraud. There are more disabled placards registered in SF than there are legal parking spaces.

Also, why do you own a car if your home/apartment doesn't provide parking? There is nothing available on your street? Where was your car stored before you got your licience or did you just buy it? Is there not public transportation? Can you not car pool? Or get scooter? Is there a lot near by you can rent parking form? If you need a car, should you not move to where you can have parking?

Yes, public parking is open for everyone, but if there is no space, there simple is no space. You are not helping by denying another resident a parking spot by taking two spaces. They can't claim the spot, but they have every right to call you out for taking up more space than you need.

The bolded should be asked of the passive-aggressive note writer, not the OP.

glad you don't live in my neighborhood.

ever heard of "residential parking only"?

[guess not]

OP, don't consistently park in front of another person's house when they're already consistently having issues parking in front of THEIR OWN DAMN HOUSE.

at least in my municipality, it's very illegal for most people to just roll up and park in front of my house.

but this is partly due to the way taxes work here, us homeowners fork over pretty much 100% of the municipal taxes through property tax [we pay over $5,000 a year just to own a house].

whereas in the UK everyone pays council tax, regardless of whether you own a house or not, so i would presume everyone has equal rates to all municipal services [and probably no such thing as residential parking?].

still, this note was NOT unfriendly - i think you could talk to this person and just explain what you explained in the OP and they should be receptive to it.

i dunno, you seem nice, they seem nice [for a NIMBY] i think this has potential.

edit: aaand, it seems like we finally have some more homeowners chiming in, glad to see i'm not the only one kind of siding with the homeowners here.

Residential parking just means commercial parking is not allowed.

And congrats on the cheap taxes. $5k/year Canadian isn't bad for a house.

Meh, strong disagree.

In BC, residential parking is the norm - if you don't live on the street, you can't park there.

Then, even if you do, you might not be able to.

In my municipality, you only have the right to use residential street parking if you live in a home zoned as a single family dwelling.

Meaning, any tenants living in a suite, or anybody renting a room in a house split into multiple units, can fuck right off [those have to have off-street parking / garages / multiple driveway parking for those people to park in].

What happens here quite often, is those renters in those multiple unit homes use their legal garage / driveway parking for setting up mini carpentry / car-fixing shops - and park their six redneck vehicles on the street [which is fully fucking illegal].

Then us homeowners, who are the sole fucking financiers of the muncipality's entire fucking funding stream, can't even park in front of our own fucking houses.

edit: but this is the UK we're talking about, where it sounds like no such parking rules exist.

seems like manners and decorum should prevail, in which case a simple conversation would fix this entire issue.

Depends on the municipality.

For example, in Victoria, the restriction on single-family dwellings only applies if one side of the street is marked residential. It doesn't apply if both sides are marked.

Residential parking zone

53 (1) The driver of a vehicle may park it or permit it to remain parked on the street in a Residential Parking Zone if, in relation to a dwelling located on a City block abutting that Zone, the driver:

(a) resides there;
(b) is visiting an occupant there; or
(c) is transacting business, performing work, or rendering services there.

(2) Despite subsection (1), if only one side of a street is designated a Residential Parking Zone for a City block or part of a City block, a driver of a vehicle may park the vehicle or permit it to remain parked on that side of the street for any one or more of the purposes described in subsection (1) in relation to a dwelling if the dwelling is located on a lot that

(a) abuts a No Stopping Zone or a No Parking Zone that is on the other side of the street,
(b) is located on that City block,
(c) is located on the other side of the street directly across from the Residential Parking Zone, and
(d) is zoned, under the Zoning Regulation Bylaw, for single family dwelling or duplex use.

Catdaddy

We were one of the first houses in our sub-division (never do that – three years of construction) and picked the largest lot and it was next to model home. For three years I had to put up with people parking in front of my house, in front of my mailbox, in front of my driveway and actually in my driveway, along with the occasional stranger peeking into the window to look at the inside of the house. We complained to the real estate agent and they did what they could but was annoying as fuck coming home to find a car in the driveway blocking my garage.

Now to your situation, just be mindful of residences, the one off parking is one thing, but all the time, not so much…

Madame M

Banned
This is parallel parking right?

Try to be more cautious about where you're parking in relation to the available "spots" (i.e. where the parking sign begins and how other cars are aligned to that) to make sure you aren't squeezing someone out.

In your defense though it's entirely possible that when you parked and supposedly took up two spaces that you weren't the reason for that, it could have been someone else parked in an awkward way that was there when you got there that had already left before the person who wrote that note noticed your car and thought you were the reason for screwing up the parking on the street.

It's really not that uncommon to lack space to park at home? I live on a one way street with no off road parking, I can sometimes end up 2 streets away from my house. It's all fair game.

The only thing I'd say is stop taking up more than one space.

I guess I got lucky but my driveway at home can fit 8 cars and then another two In the street outside my house. I can understand parking issues living at an apartment complex but they at least give you a single parking spot so I have no idea how a place you live doesn't at least provide you a parking spot.

norm9

We were one of the first houses in our sub-division (never do that – three years of construction) and picked the largest lot and it was next to model home. For three years I had to put up with people parking in front of my house, in front of my mailbox, in front of my driveway and actually in my driveway, along with the occasional stranger peeking into the window to look at the inside of the house. We complained to the real estate agent and they did what they could but was annoying as fuck coming home to find a car in the driveway blocking my garage.

Now to your situation, just be mindful of residences, the one off parking is one thing, but all the time, not so much…

I imagine you parked behind them and blocked them into your driveway right? And when they asked you to move your car, you took your sweet time, right?

Okada

I guess I got lucky but my driveway at home can fit 8 cars and then another two In the street outside my house. I can understand parking issues living at an apartment complex but they at least give you a single parking spot so I have no idea how a place you live doesn't at least provide you a parking spot.

There's literally no room to provide a parking spot.

Greedings

I lived on a street without designated parking. I was never out a space, but I found it super annoying when someone parked in front of my house, especially when I had just come back with a bunch of shopping bags.

I never made a fuss about it, I just grumbled under my breath...it's not reserved, but it's generally accepted that you park in front of your own house.

Taking up two spaces makes you a douche though. Can't get past that one.

I lived on a street without designated parking. I was never out a space, but I found it super annoying when someone parked in front of my house, especially when I had just come back with a bunch of shopping bags.

I never made a fuss about it, I just grumbled under my breath...it's not reserved, but it's generally accepted that you park in front of your own house.

I'm sure everyone does park in front of their own house when they can.

Learn to park ASAP. In area with very little public parking, it is a dick move to take up 2 spots, period. You're lucky they left a note instead of doing something drastic.

Also, why do you own a car if your home/apartment doesn't provide parking? There is nothing available on your street? Where was your car stored before you got your licience or did you just buy it? Is there not public transportation? Can you not car pool? Or get scooter? Is there a lot near by you can rent parking form? If you need a car, should you not move to where you can have parking?

Yes, public parking is open for everyone, but if there is no space, there simple is no space. You are not helping by denying another resident a parking spot by taking two spaces. They can't claim the spot, but they have every right to call you out for taking up more space than you need.

I've lived at my current flat for the past 3 years and only past my test a couple of weeks ago. ive also only had a car for 8 days and Am in the process of buying my own house.

Tenck

It's not about legality, it's about consideration for your neighbors. I live on a street that is frequently parked on by a multitude of cars visiting a nearby district for restaurants and shopping. No big deal, I can park farther away. But when people park like imbeciles (taking up multiple spots through bad spacing, parking facing the wrong way, hastily pulling in so your car is two feet from the curb, etc.) now you're violating the social code. And, frankly, repeatedly parking on a residential street you don't live on violates the social code as well. It may be legal, but not having any consideration for the residents of that block is absolutely a moral failing. I realize in America caring about other people is viewed as Godless Commie talk, but this is something people should make more of an effort to be aware of so that we can all live together peacefully.

Why'd you even bring up America specifically when the OP and multiple people from the U.K. are the ones agreeing it's perfectly legal and fine to park in a public street?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OP, does the road have little boxes to park in? Slightly confused by the two spaces comments as most streets in the UK will just be kerb with no specific parking boxes.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That post is referring to streets containing terraced houses with no individual driveways, just a very small front garden. Parking in these areas is a bit of a free-for-all. The OP's neighbourhood is, I assume, fairly similar in terms of parking.

faulkland-road-oldfield-park-bath-000022003_100998001337_IMG_10.jpg

This looks like an old friend’s mum’s street in bath.

1) It is not a driveway, it looks like a driveway, but it is half my neighbor's property and half mine. Also, for clarification the screaming guy is not the neighbor who shares the property line. My dad had no legit right to ask the guy not to park there.

2) the note my dad left was in chinese and I didn't know he left it so I just got woken up in the morning by a guy screaming at me while holding up a note in chinese. ( I am the son of immigrants and cannot read chinese)

Haha, gotcha! Thanks!

Of course, but OP said he parks on another street because he can't drive properly.

No he said he parked on another street because he doesn't have parking space outside his house. He parked in that street in particular because of some lame reason but the fact is that he's parking outside some cunts hoose no matter what he does.

OP, does the road have little boxes to park in? Slightly confused by the two spaces comments as most streets in the UK will just be kerb with no specific parking boxes.

Probably just parking too far from the car in front/behind so he's essentially occupying space that could potentially hold more cars.

z1ggy

I'm ok with people parking in front of my home but...i dont like it when they park in front of my garage. I'm about to start smashing or burning them cars down.

slit

By who? The public street fairy godmother. You can feel how you want but it makes you just a big a douche as the person you are grumbling about.

Not OP but it sounds like there aren't any lines, it is just something like parking halfway between two driveways that could otherwise have two cars parked between them.

People from an apartment complex would park in front of my house everyday. I got fed up with it and bought a cheap car that I park in the middle to reserve the space and just move it when I get home from work.

DBT85

Having grown up in a terraced streets surrounded by other terraced streets, you park where there is a space. You park outside your house when there is a space to do so, more often than not there isn't. Most of those houses have families with 2 or 3 cars do unless we start stacking, it ain't happening.

Don't block driveways, don't park in a disabled space unless you are eligible, don't park more than a meter from another car if the space is too large. Fuck, I'd say half a meter.

ty_hot

Learn how to drive in hilly areas, its not that hard. Some practice and you are good to go. Use the handbrake to avoid rolling backwards.

Coolluck

People from an apartment complex would park in front of my house everyday. I got fed up with it and bought a cheap car that I park in the middle to reserve the space and just move it when I get home from work.

How does that work? You still need to find a spot later for the garbage car.

Samus4145

Are you parking in the same space all the time? Even though parking on the road outside my house is a free for all residents, I'd get a bit pissed if the same person kept parking outside my house.

The house diagonal to mine does this daily, even when there is no car in front of their house. Pisses me off so much.

I should also mention the cars are left in front of my house for days without being moved.

Forearms

If you don't live on the street, and aren't visiting anyone nearby, then it's better etiquette to find another place to park overnight. I understand it's a public street, so OP isn't doing anything wrong, but how would the OP feel if this same thing was happening to them? OP would probably be posting a pic of the other person's car and the note he had to write to them to inform them of their shitty etiquette.

I got a note very similar to this on the windshield of my car. "Since you're not from this neighborhood, we believe in a thing called courtesy. etc." I lived two or three houses from them on the same block, and houses only had one driveway parking spot in the alley or nothing. They went on about parking in the same spot for four days, which is valid, but at the time I commuted by bus weekdays and didn't need to drive much. I confronted the immediate neighbor who denied it, but my heart was racing and I was so shaking from anger I didn't keep going.

How does that work? You still need to find a spot later for the garbage car.

I have two cars, one to reserve the spot in front of my house by parking in the middle and the other that I drive to work. When I get home i move the middle car to the end and park both cars in front.

Raiden

Banned
I live in a pretty crowded part of the city and parking sucks most of the time. So i would not care if i happen to park in front of the same building two weeks straight. Two spaces however is just not done, you keep practicing that parking son.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Special fun note for HOA hating Gaf, this is one of the major reasons I love HOA’s that ban on street parking for more than a short period. You park in front of my house, you’ll get towed :)

No yellow lines, no dropped kerb? Fuck you, "your" space is mine.

If you want your own parking area, buy a house with a drive or residents parking.

That said, don't park like a cunt.

Alucrid

Banned
if it's in the city, not much you can do. i would never expect to get a space in front of where i lived and parked whenever i could. the only time i got pissed was when we had to leave cones and shit outside our house because the gas company needed to park in front of our house to do something and people kept throwing them out of the way and parking there. if it's suburban i also wouldn't care as long as it's not an everyday thing.

DrSlek

My brother-in-law got a note like this when he would park his car on the street and then walk to the nearby train station. Apparently the person didn't like anybody parking outside of their house because they had no driveway.

His response was that they chose to buy a house near a train station with no driveway. Tough shit.

FooTemps

Here is what I've learned has worked on double parkers...

1. Put a rock under their tire stem cap. 8 hours later, 4 flats and an unhappy parker. 24 hours later, no more double parking.

2. NOTHING ELSE.

I admit to doing this maybe a half dozen times while I was in college and was tired of shitheads double parking at my apartment complex. Don't be that shithead OP, you'll eventually run into someone like my younger self.

Jezbollah

Op, you've probably read enough similar replies to care about mine (there's been a lot!) but here are my thoughts:

Legality: if you have paid your road tax, have no restrictions of parking (lines, dropped kerbs etc) then you are by law entitled to park wherever you want.

Morally: you should park in one parking spot. You should take consideration for other drivers who also want to park. You should also take consideration for pedestrians and other road users about how laterally you park your car.

Now, your parking away from your house is at your own risk. Should anything happen to your car, you won't be nearby. Also others in the street may object and perhaps resort to tampering with your car. That is the risk you run. However if the residents don't have allocated parking they are in no position to object to you using their road. You are not doing anything criminal. If they do something to your car they will be.

Your driving experience is frankly irrelevant here, yes parking on a hill is difficult but it's not the point here. You will get better with experience but you have no excuse to take up two parking bays, that is inconsiderate and can inflame any potential situation.

HeySeuss

What did they say when you explained the situation and how you're still learning a manual transmission and don't want to hit anybody's car?

Anybody wanna guess how many words I typed of that sentence before I started laughing out loud? Why can't you fuckers just be normal.

Top Bottom