• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 09•15-17•17 - Assassin and mother! clowned, lack "IT" factor

Slayven

Slayven Hyped for Thor now? wtf

First a 180 on Captain Marvel now this???
ALways been hyped for Thor, Always rolled my eyes at the Thor 2 memes
I'm actually mad he did a 180 on Captain Marvel. One of the reasons I was looking forward to it was because I knew, once it inevitably turned out good, people would be lining up to shove crow down his throat after years of him shitting on the character at every opportunity.
But Slayven saw it fit to take such simple pleasures away from us.

Also, I'm pretty sure he was always hyped for Thor.

I love me some skrulls(they are the poor man's dire wraiths), if Carol is the vehicle they need to be delievered on, then by god Marvel do your thing.

I would never eat crow on MCU Carol, because she would be Carol in name only if she was any good

The box office numbers... 💀

Whatever stanbase JLAW had is completely gone now. This is why you need to have social media as a celebrity these days.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Maybe the Mother tv show will finish the story and save the franchise

tumblr_mngd96aie91s3gl74o1_500.gif

Replicant

Congrats to the filmmakers of IT, may the blessing of a thousand kings be bestow on to you.

The director used to do another film about a mother. It was called "Mama". He's a competent director with good eyes for great scenes/scenarios. Just don't let him write anything other than short films.

Wow, IT is doing way better than any of the Conjuring movies, I wonder how its success is going to influence future horror movies from WB/New Line.

IT doesn't lend itself to a franchise past two movies so more King adaptions are a safe bet.

Wow, IT is doing way better than any of the Conjuring movies, I wonder how its success is going to influence future horror movies from WB/New Line.

IT doesn't lend itself to a franchise past two movie so more King adaptions are a safe bet.
Think King has talked about doing movies with New Line/WB using the rights he got back a few months ago.

BR2049 posters.

Hero

Damn Spidey had a huge drop-off in China.

Needs 12 more million to surpass BvS' WW total of which I had a bet on. Hopefully should have it by next weekend.

Holtz

IT doesn't lend itself to a franchise past two movies so more King adaptions are a safe bet.
The Stand is sure to be next. From one huge SK book to another.

Really doubt anything is gonna match IT.

Pennywise is a horror icon, he/it gives the movie a huge push that any other King adaptation is gonna be lacking. Creepy clowns are popular and Pennywise is a draw that wont be matched.

Really doubt anything is gonna match IT.

Pennywise is a horror icon, he/it gives the movie a huge push that any other King adaptation is gonna be lacking. Creepy clowns are popular and Pennywise is a draw that wont be matched.

I think WB/New Line could do well with other properties provided the movies are well-made. Nothing will be the Lightning in a bottle of IT though. IT had 80s nostalgia, a good movie, Pennywise being iconic, and released at a time when both R rated films and horror films are trending upward.

I'd say much more chance of a 1980s Stand By Me remake being green lit.
That would be incredibly redundant after IT shifted the time period up to the 1980s/2010s. Plus, Stand By Me is already a great movie that stands alongside the Shawshank Redemption as some of the best Stephen King movies.

Future King adaptions should look to his works that haven't gone a proper film adaption like the Stand.

They really bungled the marketing on Mother! All that trickery and it still couldn't get to $10 M. What a mess.

There was no real marketing that was going to get Mother to an opening that would justify its budget.

The WOM backlash is because marketing offered one version of the film and it's something completely different, but there's no way to get across what it is and still put butts in seats.

It's simply not that kind of film. It's another The Fountain: budget too high for a film that's pure arthouse and will probably have a cult following for years to come. It'll make slightly more it seem, for slightly less of a budget. Neon Demon was the same way.

I'll make sure to always link to Mother's BO performance whenever someone comes into a Thor thread or whatever the fuck to complain about why Hollywood doesn't make new movies anymore.

Like folks are talking about "new", but Mother! is more "different". Hollywood makes new films all the time. Moonlight did $65 million. Arrival, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Hail, Caesar!, 10 Cloverfield Lane, It Comes at Night, Ex Machina, and Room all made money off the top of my head. All were films with some original ideas or presentation.

Films like Mother (and Neon Demon) probably should go the route of something like Okja, running on Netflix or Amazon Instant, where folks are more open to experimental projects.

But no, Mother's poor box office performance doesn't really mean anything for audiences, anymore than it's uneven critical reception does. Not everyone wants to see an allegory for either Christian myth or the process of creation, no matter how well acted it is.

Slayven

This is Paramount's punishment for approving of the "Sabotage" scene

You know they highfived each other in the writing room after that scene

There was no real marketing that was going to get Mother to an opening that would justify its budget.

The WOM backlash is because marketing offered one version of the film and it's something completely different, but there's no way to get across what it is and still put butts in seats.

It's simply not that kind of film. It's another The Fountain: budget too high for a film that's pure arthouse and will probably have a cult following for years to come. It'll make slightly more it seem, for slightly less of a budget. Neon Demon was the same way.

Like folks are talking about "new", but Mother! is more "different". Hollywood makes new films all the time. Moonlight did $65 million. Arrival, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Hail, Caesar!, 10 Cloverfield Lane, It Comes at Night, Ex Machina, and Room all made money off the top of my head. All were films with some original ideas or presentation.

Films like Mother (and Neon Demon) probably should go the route of something like Okja, running on Netflix or Amazon Instant, where folks are more open to experimental projects.

But no, Mother's poor box office performance doesn't really mean anything for audiences, anymore than it's uneven critical reception does. Not everyone wants to see an allegory for either Christian myth or the process of creation, no matter how well acted it is.

Somebody should do a study on disappointment at the theater vs tv/streaming. 20 bucks on something you think is some old bullshit is going to sting and made you talk more about it me thinks

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Mother pretty much seems like the last Lawrence flop, Passengers, in that it should've been a smaller movie with less star power, a smaller budget, and yeah maybe even a different distribution model. When people complain about the death of the mid-budget Hollywood film, this feels like why those are hard to make.

Majmun

I'm glad Mother! is tanking. Its allegory isn't sublime.

Watching the movie is metaphor for experiencing hell. That's the only thing it did well, I guess.

Miles X

what do we think is going to round out the top 5 for the year worldwide and dom?

dom will be
Star Wars
BatB
Wonder Woman
GotG 2
IT?

worldwide
Star Wars
BatB
FatF
Dispicable 3
Homecoming?

i guess Thor and Justice League are both outside shots for either dom or WW?

1. Star Wars
2. Beauty & The Beast
3. Justice League ($430m)
4. Wonder Woman
5. Guardians Of the Galaxy
6. Thor ($350m)
7. Spiderman ($340m)
8. IT ($320m)
9. Despicable Me
10. Logan.

Busty

Banned
MILF.

Mother I'd like to
see flop

I'm actually eager to see the film and while Paramount should deserve some kudos for making mother they equally deserve scorn for the price that they paid for what was a always going to be a niche title.

Does anyone remember if there was a fight over who would buy the IT movie rights?

I believe that Warners had the rights to It dating all the way back to the TV movie/mini-series so there was never a 'fight' for them, they were always in the studio's possession.

Top Bottom