• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu #914

Emotions

Heian-kyo said:
It eases my faith a little amongst Japanese gamers

:lol
Because Sony is dominating it, am i right?

And these lists have little to no effect in Japanese sales, as seeing Blue Dragon higher than any other Wii game or other high profile DS games.

Beowvlf

Banned
Emotions said:
Christ, you guys pick apart everything. The 360 has no chance of doing well there, and I want a well-supported-in-Japan next gen console with next gen visuals and tech. So I really don't have any other option, now do I?

Emotions

Heian-kyo said:
Christ, you guys pick apart everything. The 360 has no chance of doing well there, and I want a well-supported-in-Japan next gen console with next gen visuals and tech. So I really don't have any other option, now do I?

I see where you're going, i'll stop right here.

Terrell

Sad_Panda said:
No WFC support ? Then, why is "Wi-Fi" written under the game's logo on the scan ?
He apparently didn't get the memo. Square Enix confirmed that they plan to implement WFC into the game.

fresquito

Pangya looks better than expected. In fact in some shots I´m doubting it´s in game. Too bad it doesn´t have online :(

Rocked

Paper Mario looks amazing! Now why couldn't Nintendo have made this game when GameCube was still alive. :p

SuomiDude

Wii said:
What the hell happened to StarFox Command?
Ugly art... Not on rails... At least Slippy has a girlfriend... does that mean she's a lesbian?

The art in SFDS is about the same as in the original, so it simply went to its roots.
Also who's lesbian? That Slippy's girlfriend? Where did you get that from? Or did you think Slippy is a girl?

SuomiDude said:
The art in SFDS is about the same as in the original, so it simply went to its roots.

I'm sorry, that artwork is derivative of the AWFUL SFAventures and SFAssault "style". The original SF artwork is more in line with SSBM rendition of Fox. Terrible.

But at least Super Paper Mario is hawt.

SantaC

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm sorry, that artwork is derivative of the AWFUL SFAventures and SFAssault "style". The original SF artwork is more in line with SSBM rendition of Fox. Terrible.

seems like Nintendo wont give up the crappy artwork.

SantaC

Dragona Akehi said:
Fox looks more like a goddamned chipmunk than a member of the vulpes family.

yeah I have to agree. I hope atleast this game plays as the original snes one.

BDGAME

Paper Mario looks really good! GOT!!

And look at Mario basket... OH MY GOD... how can a DS run this game?

How is possible? SE can put good 3D models from all Mario characters + a good and detailed scenario + a good 3D backgrounds!

In one of this screens they find rest polygons to create a 3D floating island… and its become very well done!

I really don't believe in Nintendo aspects anymore. It's a big fu...ing lie that DS only put 120 MPS! This game has many more detail than any party game from 32/64 bits era!

If the controls turn to be good, I’m sold!

ZeoVGM

Banned
drohne said:
that bongo crap can die, but my failure to play gc fire emblem is probably the low point of my career as a graphics whore. fire emblem rocks, but...so ugly!

that "bongo crap" is actually one of the most unique and fun games to come out since RE4, on any system. also:

220584b.jpg

Terrell

Dragona Akehi said:
Fox looks more like a goddamned chipmunk than a member of the vulpes family.
Yeah, they should ask Sakurai to do the 3D design of the whole Star Fox troop and be done with it. The only thing I appreciated about the Assault character design was that they finally gave Fox a sharp set of teeth.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Emotions said:

And these lists have little to no effect in Japanese sales, as seeing Blue Dragon higher than any other Wii game or other high profile DS games.
I see where you're going, i'll stop right here.
Why's that? He's right.

I too want to see next-gen Japanese titles. The 360 has very little chance of recovering at this point in Japan (though I'd be happy to see more JP games on board). If the PS3 also tanks, what's left? Wii? I'm sure it will be a fun machine, but there are a lot of things it does NOT do and won't do that interest me greatly. I don't want it to become the primary machine.

Surely you can understand that.

Shiggy

Terrell said:
He apparently didn't get the memo. Square Enix confirmed that they plan to implement WFC into the game.

Give me a link, please. Or just the news where they confirmed it.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
SF = crappy artwork.

SPM looks awsome. So that's a new character in Persona 3? Looks ok.

dark10x said:
Why's that? He's right.

I too want to see next-gen Japanese titles. The 360 has very little chance of recovering at this point in Japan (though I'd be happy to see more JP games on board). If the PS3 also tanks, what's left? Wii? I'm sure it will be a fun machine, but there are a lot of things it does NOT do and won't do that interest me greatly. I don't want it to become the primary machine.

You act like the Wii isn't a next gen system.

I think you mean next gen graphics.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
dark10x said:
Why's that? He's right.

I know I can't. Graphics have been more than fine for years now.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Magicpaint said:
You act like the Wii isn't a next gen system.

wii is a next-gen system, in the strictly chronological sense. but that distinction won't do anything for its games. the notion that a new controller would do as much for games as vastly better hardware was always silly, but after e3 it's become untenable.

Deku

Banned
drohne said:
wii is a next-gen system, in the strictly chronological sense. but that distinction won't do anything for its games. the notion that a new controller would do as much for games as vastly better hardware was always silly, but after e3 it's become untenable.

Which E3 did you go to?

drohne

the one where practically all the wii games on display fell into existing genre ruts. and looked like gamecube games to boot.

Deku

Banned
drohne said:
the one where practically all the wii games on display fell into existing genre ruts. and looked like gamecube games to boot.

So what's wrong with having games in 'genre ruts' when they are interesting to control. Under other circumstances, Wii Sports would be a very basic sports game to a fault, but with the controller, the concept of a simple sports game works very well. So does Mario, so does Sonic. Even Red Steel had some merits.

Your entire argument is based on a strawman. The whole concept of a 'genre rut' is pretty hilarious considering no one ever made a claim Wii will have completely new genres as its raison d'etre.

That Tecmo Golf game looks surprisingly ... awesome.

If that's what we can expect from the Wii visually ... I've got no problems with that.

And Wii isn't a "next generation" console in the strict sense of the definition. Even Mr. Iwata has said that.

It's an alternative console, a direction that I think is going to prove very fruitful for Nintendo.

I think looking at XBox 360 sales in North America ... we're seeing that Sony/MS are starting to get out of touch with regular joe folkes IMO. Some people are going to like that "high-end" approach, but at the same time I think we're dangerously getting away from the NES-idea of a console, which is still the foundation this business is built on.

drohne

Deku said:
Your entire argument is based on a strawman. The whole concept of a 'genre rut' is pretty hilarious considering no one ever made a claim Wii will have completely new genres, and everyone was more interested in how existing genres are going to play to the new controller.

come on. i wouldn't have to look very hard for gaf posts claiming that wii games would bust genres. i bet some of them are yours.

the better wii control scemes relegated the waggle wand to some secondary role -- look at mario. often the waggle wand did a poor job of impersonating a mouse. monkey ball simply didn't work. how will existing genres play on the new controller? like they play now, more or less.

drohne said:
come on. i wouldn't have to look very hard for gaf posts claiming that wii games would bust genres. i bet some of them are yours.

the better wii control scemes relegated the waggle wand to some secondary role -- look at mario. often the waggle wand did a poor job of impersonating a mouse. monkey ball simply didn't work. how will existing genres play on the new controller? a lot like they play now.

People said the same thing about the touchscreen early on though ... "oh the touchscreen is pointless" etc. etc. based on the first batch of games.

Nintendogs and Brain Training wouldn't have sold even close to what they have without the touchscreen and without Nintendogs/Brain Training, I doubt the DS is putting up the sales it is now.

If we're going to put the Wii controller to such silly expectations, we might as well also write off the graphics approach of the PS3/360 too ... after all .... I'm seeing games with better graphics, but how are they changing the gameplay experience? So I guess graphics are also pointless.

Of course as time goes on, you're going to see software for all systems that shows what that hardware can really do.

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
Why's that? He's right.

I understand. You're 100% right.

dark10x said:
Why's that? He's right.

I understand what you're saying, but part of this is Sony's fault.

It's not Nintendo's fault that Sony is making a $700 machine for the Japanese and trying to shoe-horn Blu-Ray (in a country where HDTV penetration is very small to begin with) down their throats.

It's not Nintendo's fault that there's been a big-time decline in the gaming population in Japan under Sony's reign.

The DS and Wii are just a counter-current to what's happening ... and it was inevitable.

The Famicom certainly wasn't the most powerful game system either, that didn't stop Japanese developers from making some incredible games for it.

Deku

Banned
soundwave05 said:
People said the same thing about the touchscreen early on though ... "oh the touchscreen is pointless" etc. etc. based on the first batch of games.

Nintendogs and Brain Training wouldn't have sold even close to what they have without the touchscreen and without Nintendogs/Brain Training, I doubt the DS is putting up the sales it is now.

Well the dS touchscreen has no real evangelical software to prove its worth at launch and idnd't have one until kirby came out, and it was just one game.

The Wii controller has several pieces of very good software that shows what exactly it is about. I'm not sure what drohne's problem is. He's entitled to his opinion of course, and his report on the front page seems fair enough.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
What the... Kasumi's in the golf game?

And yet another week goes by with no new Jump Superstars 2 info... :(

drohne

i agree that the touchscreen has been instrumental in the ds's market success -- and from an accessibility perspective, maybe the wand will do the same for wii. but i remain skeptical that it'll do anything to change how we play games. a lot of graphics ascetics are springing up on message boards lately, but better hardware will go on doing what it's always done -- it'll make games bigger and prettier and more reactive to player actions. and along the way it'll facilitate some games that weren't imaginable on older hardware. how will a controller keep up?

what have developers learned about the touchscreen now that they've had some time with it? that it's often useless, and shouldn't be forced into every game. that its best applications are largely conventional.

drohne said:
i agree that the touchscreen has been instrumental in the ds's market success -- and from an accessibility perspective, maybe the wand will do the same for wii. but i remain skeptical that it'll do anything to change how we play games. a lot of graphics ascetics are springing up on message boards lately, but better hardware will go on doing what it's always done -- it'll make games bigger and prettier and more reactive to player actions. and along the way it'll facilitate some games that weren't imaginable on older hardware. how will a controller keep up?

what have developers learned about the touchscreen now that they've had some time with it? that it's often useless, and shouldn't be forced into every game. that its best applications are largely conventional.

I think Nintendo's been pretty upfront in saying the direction they're taking for Wii may not be the ideal scenario for the some hardcore players.

They haven't exactly ever tried to say they were going to make a game machine that was directly an answer to what Sony/MS are doing. There's been no mystery that they feel that for their own personal place in the market, it would be better to pursue another direction rather than have 3 consoles trying to do the same thing.

Y'know there's lots of people out there who wouldn't mind an affordable game machine that can pump out nice graphics and offers a new way to control/interface.

Your needs aren't somehow more important than anyone elses, hardcore gamers sometimes get too carried away and think everything should revolve around them, when in reality they're the minority of the market.

soundwave05 said:
I think Nintendo's been pretty upfront in saying the direction they're taking for Wii may not be the ideal scenario for the some hardcore players.

They haven't exactly ever tried to say they were going to make a game machine that was directly an answer to what Sony/MS are doing. There's been no mystery that they feel that for their own personal place in the market, it would be better to pursue another direction rather than have 3 consoles trying to do the same thing.

Y'know there's lots of people out there who wouldn't mind an affordable game machine that can pump out nice graphics and offers a new way to control/interface.

Your needs aren't somehow more important than anyone elses, hardcore gamers sometimes get too carried away and think everything should revolve around them, when in reality they're the minority of the market.

Not only that, but there are two alternative consoles out there, so there isn't anything wrong with more choices. If you're against the idea of the wiimote, then you have something else that should cater to your needs. But I really don't see what exactly is *wrong* with Nintendo's philosophy this time around; not from a business perspective or even as a hardcore gamer. I'm not araid to try new things or experience new ways to play games.

drohne

soundwave05 said:

i'm under no such illusions. nintendo owes me nothing, and wii can revolve around whomever it likes. but i'm going to go ahead and judge games and controllers from my perspective -- silliness usually results when forum posters decide to invent some hypothetical "mainstream" consumer and tell us what he thinks.

SuomiDude

Dragona Akehi said:

Ok, just checked, the art in SF Command is actually indeed pretty close to Star Fox (StarWing), but only to its boxart... :lol

The in-game actual art is different, you're right. The box art has those real? puppets shown, and Falco and Slippy look pretty damn close to those puppets. Fox is little cartoonized in SFC, and there's no Peppy to compare. Now that I think about it, Fox looks pretty much the same as in Lylat Wars as well (at least I have a poster with those blocky character models, not the actual in-game art again).

Anyway, I think that art looks nice and refreshing. But yeah, Super Paper Mario looks awesome!

Jiggy

Skilotonn said:
What the... Kasumi's in the golf game?
You know, I figured it was just an outfit and hair style as opposed to the real character, but I hope you're the one who's right.

If for no other reason than that Sakurai's been saying only third-party characters who have appeared on Nintendo systems can appear in SSBB, and if SSGP was a launch game, then technically Kasumi would have been on a Nintendo system before SSBB's release... But for now I'll just hope she shows up by the time SSB4 rolls around.

Top Bottom