• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer: Thief (Eidos Montreal, PC/PS4/"Next-Gen", 2014) [Up: Mag Info In OP]

justjim89

Honest question:

If GI reveals this stuff online, including the cover, artwork, and tons of core information about their cover story, why in the world will anyone be compelled to go check out the issue in a bookstore/newsstand, much less buy it?

Why buy a car when you can just borrow your neighbor's?

Why buy a movie when you can watch it online?

Why have kids when you can just kidnap a midget?

Kidding, obviously. But from what I recall, most people who get GI basically get it because they bought an edge card from Gamestop.

Jac_Solar

Claw: grapple attaches to certain points

Arrghh. This sounds like it'll be a regular tool that you can only use on "glowing points". Why would they even include such a thing?

Did it work in the previous games? I think I played either 1 or 2 briefly, but I can't remember.

justjim89

Arrghh. This sounds like it'll be a regular tool that you can only use on "glowing points". Why would they even include such a thing?

Did it work in the previous games? I think I played either 1 or 2 briefly, but I can't remember.

Probably not a whole lot different from rope and vine arrows only working in certain situations.

Muzzy

thief2mjvr.png

There's also this one that appears in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HpRsOQ4MS_8#t=39s
untitled-1giju3.jpg

Honest question:

If GI reveals this stuff online, including the cover, artwork, and tons of core information about their cover story, why in the world will anyone be compelled to go check out the issue in a bookstore/newsstand, much less buy it?

vast majority of gameinformer purchase is through subscription. People who buy newstand either are fans of the game on the cover and/or don't follow gaming online

Anastasia

I only played Thief II, but I have fond memories of playing it when I was growing up. It was a unique experience that kept pulling me back in; I think it may have been the first stealth game I ever played. I was also really attracted to the dark world and atmosphere of the game.

Sorry, this thread made me get all nostalgic. For this, I just want the sound effect that plays whenever you steal an item to come back. :p

justjim89

This news makes me want to go back and actually beat the other games. Which should finish first?

10 hours into Thief Gold
14 hours into Thief 2
3 hours into Deadly Shadows

Thoughts?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds good to me. Focus is worrying, but we'll see. Human Revolution went the extra mile to make sure all hand holding options were kept optional in menus. Would be surprised to see Thief get similar treatment.

I started this series on xbox with deadly shadows which I never completed because my xbox would dirty disc randomly. But I did beat the first last year which I enjoyed

Alex

For how iffy Square Japan can be lately, it's sort of amazing watching Eidos completely flourish under them.

Jenga

Banned
- Garrett crouches behind crates, which results in a dark tint covering the screen to show that you’re hiding safely
- Bottle thrown to distract the guards, and then Garrett climbs up a pipe up the side of a building
- Garrett moves across roofs, bounds over merchant tables and under wagons, and dives through a nearby building window

- Another guard pins Garrett against a wall
- To buy time, Garrett enters Focus mode
- Garrett grabs the guard’s arm, jerks it back behind his soldier, eventually falls against the stone floor
right when he starts climbing the pipe it sounds more like assassin's creed rather than thief

JDSN

Banned
I have faith that focus mode will be there to help people go through the "set" part while the more curious gamers will be able to discover alternate rewarding routes.

Jenga

Banned
>Using a chain attack, Garrett grabs the guard's arm, jerks it back behind his shoulder, and then plants a heel against the guard's knee. Bones snap with a sickening crack, and the man collapses against the stone floor in agony. Eidos-Montreal has modeled these stylish Focus maneuvers after the boxing scenes from Guy Ritchie's recent Sherlock Holmes films

fuck yeah bros can't wait to be garret and doing 360 stealth takedowns on those taffer guards mang

Jenga

Banned
That stuff sounds like a logical extension of the melee attacks from HR. I don't see what the issue is.
A logical extension of the HR melee system would be great for the sequel to Human Revolution. Not Thief. Not Garret.

Melee takedowns are not exactly aimed at...well just about anyone who ever played and enjoyed a Thief game before.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
A logical extension of the HR melee system would be great for the sequel to Human Revolution. Not Thief. Not Garret.

Melee takedowns are not exactly aimed at...well just about anyone who ever played and enjoyed a Thief game before.

The team did a good job of keeping some of the mass market appeal stuff unobtrusive or entirely optional in HR so they'll likely do the same here. Stuff like that is kind of necessary to throw in so that they can get a bigger crowd than just the people that enjoy Thief, especially since it's been in development for so long, but they seem like a team who knows how to balance those things with the core fundamentals of the game. Besides, Eidos Montreal obviously like those kind of things so it's not surprising they put it in. It's not like they made him a sword based killing machine. Nonlethal melee, even if stylized, fits a thief character well.

justjim89

fuck yeah bros can't wait to be garret and doing 360 stealth takedowns on those taffer guards mang

Because the idea of a master thief who is adept in sword and bow combat being able to handle himself enough to get away in a hand to hand situation is absurd. News has been out on this game less than a day. Calm yourself and stop looking for things to bitch about.

Jenga

Banned
Because the idea of a master thief who is adept in sword and bow combat being able to handle himself enough to get away in a hand to hand situation is absurd. News has been out on this game less than a day. Calm yourself and stop looking for things to bitch about.
the keepers never taught the basics of CQC

info has been out less than an day and it already sounds predictable and bland

justjim89

the keepers never taught the basics of CQC

info has been out less than an day and it already sounds predictable and bland

I wholeheartedly disagree. It sounds like a breath of fresh air and a good way to modernize the franchise without betraying it's core ideas. But to each their own.

And I'd like to think, in his years as a Thief, Garrett has picked up a few things. It still makes sense. As does enhanced vision to the man with a mechanical eye.

golem

As long as Garrett doesnt turn into an assassin I'm ok with more combat options (not like id utilize them unless forced to)

justjim89

It seems like a measure to prevent just quickloading when things go bad, which I appreciate. I'll still probably instinctively quickload when they do, but having a better way out besides the admittedly clunky swordplay of the old games sounds good to me.

Jenga

Banned
I wholeheartedly disagree. It sounds like a breath of fresh air and a good way to modernize the franchise without betraying it's core ideas.

you stay in the shadows

you don't fight

any close encounter with a sword-wielding heavily armored guard can mean you die horribly

a stealth game going back to these ideals thief once upheld would have been a breathe of fresh air in a long, long, long drought of good stealth games

or hell, good games for that matter

golem

you stay in the shadows

you don't fight

any close encounter with a sword-wielding heavily armored guard can mean you die horribly

a stealth game going back to these ideals thief once upheld would have been a breathe of fresh air in a long, long, long drought of good stealth games

or hell, good games for that matter

There has always been combat in Thief, you can defeat guards pretty easily if you choose to.

justjim89

you stay in the shadows

you don't fight

We've no way of knowing this won't be the case. Staying in the shadows, Garrett not being an indestructible warrior, and intelligent enemies are all emphasized in the GI article. Having combat options doesn't mean you're suddenly Kratos. Besides, it seems as though the standard focus-oriented combat options seem to be more about temporary disabling to create a chance for escape.

And I'll again go back to how easy it is to swordfight your way out of a tight jam in the original games.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone know if gamestop will allow you to switch back from digital to normal? Fuckin hell I hate reading magazines and books on a screen.

Magnus

Why buy a car when you can just borrow your neighbor's?

Why buy a movie when you can watch it online?

Why have kids when you can just kidnap a midget?

Kidding, obviously. But from what I recall, most people who get GI basically get it because they bought an edge card from Gamestop.

vast majority of gameinformer purchase is through subscription. People who buy newstand either are fans of the game on the cover and/or don't follow gaming online

I guess what I'm wondering is, why is GI putting out the goods like this themselves? Is all their revenue from people who don't realize it's all going up here, before it actually even hits mailboxes/newsstands?

I mean...is this a solid business model?

justjim89

you sneak up behind them and blackjack them, combat is something you do when you fuck up

But it's there. Just as it seems to be in this game. Did you read that the combat takedown only arose when a guard got the jump on Garrett and he did fuck things up?

Aww man, I'm gonna go beat Thief 1-3 before this comes out for sure. Been wanting to get into this series, and I finally feel compelled enough to do it. I love the art style and gameplay mechanics. Definitely gonna get this on PS4.

Top Bottom