• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

RubberJohnny
(05-23-2017, 11:18 AM)

Originally Posted by Vigilant Walrus

Right, but it's the scale of this. I never imagined that all the worlds within the same system would rotate their planets and use the same main light source as the largest key light.

I expected it would be like Horizon with just a lightsource in the skybox and that would be it.

Originally Posted by Vigilant Walrus

But.. how the hell can this light source travel all the way to the planet. I guess that's what I don't understand. If they turn the sun off in a solar system, all planet would be darkened like they would if our sun evaporated in the real world?

I assumed that you'd go to a planet and each planet would have its own unique skybox with its own unique sun.

I don't know why this is hard to believe, other space games already do it.

https://youtu.be/7CBVqqRAwXs
Bo Knows GAF
(05-23-2017, 01:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Dictator93

Yeah this one is curious as to how they will handle it. There was one part of the most recent AtV where they showed this situation off, I think it was done primarily by probe capture and not a large area light like the sun (check out the moonlight glow from Crusader here on the planetoid surface).

The thing about moonlight glow though is it is stark enough at times to cause visible shadowing... I am curious how they could manage that... if at all. The picture above iwth the bounced light glow from Crusader (unless I am mistaking it for some other bounce light in the atmsophere) does not have any at all.

It already looks super fantastic.
https://fat.gfycat.com/ContentExcell...butterfly.webm
That makes me wonder a bit if the PlanetEd TOD settings change the planets orbit and tilt when you adjust sun settings - the inverse of what normal level editors do.

That picture of Crusader is beautiful. Dumb question, is rotation and orbiting confirmed for 3.0?
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(05-23-2017, 06:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Bo Knows GAF

That picture of Crusader is beautiful. Dumb question, is rotation and orbiting confirmed for 3.0?

I seem to remember one of the Twitch / YT Star Citizen in-the-know lads saying rotation is unlikely to be in 3.0, but I might be remembering wrong. Or plans might've changed.
KKRT00
(05-23-2017, 08:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Zabojnik

I seem to remember one of the Twitch / YT Star Citizen in-the-know lads saying rotation is unlikely to be in 3.0, but I might be remembering wrong. Or plans might've changed.

Its orbiting more unlikely, because they need rotation for day night cycle.
Bo Knows GAF
(05-23-2017, 09:51 PM)

Originally Posted by KKRT00

Its orbiting more unlikely, because they need rotation for day night cycle.

So then rotation IS in 3.0?
KKRT00
(05-23-2017, 10:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Bo Knows GAF

So then rotation IS in 3.0?

Yes.
iHaunter
(05-24-2017, 12:13 AM)

Originally Posted by KKRT00

Yes.

If you check the schedule, planet rotation is most likely not going to be in 3.0.

Unless I'm wrong, it's one of the things holding back planets.
Zalusithix
(05-24-2017, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by iHaunter

If you check the schedule, planet rotation is most likely not going to be in 3.0.

Unless I'm wrong, it's one of the things holding back planets.

Not sure what you're referencing?

ALREADY COMPLETE IN THE 3.0.0 BRANCH:
Set random rotation and offset caps on planet editor

Unless they've only completed a way to set a planet's rotation without any way to actually get visual feedback in game, I assume the support for the rotation itself is there.
staticneuron
(05-24-2017, 07:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Zalusithix

Not sure what you're referencing?

Unless they've only completed a way to set a planet's rotation without any way to actually get visual feedback in game, I assume the support for the rotation itself is there.

Not only that

Already complete in the 3.0.0 branch:
Planetary Physics Grid to support orbiting and rotating planets
Solar System Editor

A tool that will layout entire solar system with their astral objects (sun, planets moons) as well as space stations, etc.

UpDownLeftRight
(05-24-2017, 10:24 PM)
I'm so ready for 3.0. I've not jumped back on in a long time and despite being occasionally tempted to just to see the new ships, I feel like the payoff is going to be bigger to wait it out and run into the new ships myself.

Are they planning anything for around E3 or is Gamescom the more likely candidate?
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
(05-24-2017, 10:30 PM)

Originally Posted by UpDownLeftRight

I'm so ready for 3.0. I've not jumped back on in a long time and despite being occasionally tempted to just to see the new ships, I feel like the payoff is going to be bigger to wait it out and run into the new ships myself.

Are they planning anything for around E3 or is Gamescom the more likely candidate?

Gamescom is more likely. They've announced nothing for E3, and they typically don't do anything for E3, but they always do something big for Gamescom.

3.0 should be out before Gamescom, though.
UpDownLeftRight
(05-24-2017, 10:37 PM)

Originally Posted by Danthrax

Gamescom is more likely. They've announced nothing for E3, and they typically don't do anything for E3, but they always do something big for Gamescom.

3.0 should be out before Gamescom, though.

Really? Hopefully get a summer release or something then. That would be really cool actually since it means the stream will either be the next steps for the PU or S42.

Hopefully both.
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
(05-25-2017, 08:18 PM)

Originally Posted by UpDownLeftRight

Really? Hopefully get a summer release or something then. That would be really cool actually since it means the stream will either be the next steps for the PU or S42.

Hopefully both.

Yep, they're aiming for mid-July right now.

Bo Knows GAF
(Yesterday, 03:17 AM)
Man, I get so sad after the Frankfurt updates because we have to wait another month to hear from them again. Brian Chambers is one of the few people on the project that keeps me believing
Danthrax
Batteries the CRISIS!
(Yesterday, 04:37 AM)
That video broadcasting system is a cool sounding thing. The stuff they're doing to shed a little light while on the dark side of a planet or moon is really interesting, too; I wouldn't have thought of that being a problem.

The Frankfurt team really is making this game special.