• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Yeah there's a bug in which if you change anything on your profile your Rage Quit rating goes up.
There's a hotfix coming this month. More info

BTW i noticed that the VFX like fireballs and such also got upgraded, noice!

What's the deal with the video display of this game? The screen stretches too far out no matter what settings I use. Have never had this happen before in any other game. Help?
Yeah :(
I have the same issue with Overwatch.

stn

What's the deal with the video display of this game? The screen stretches too far out no matter what settings I use. Have never had this happen before in any other game. Help?

BadWolf

Even more themes have been added to PSN (available for download in NA, don't know about other regions):

Mai Shiranui theme
Mexican Fighters theme
Psychic Girl theme (Athena in the red swimsuit)

Huh, didn't know this was an issue. I've played it on a monitor and on a BenQ projector and had no problems.

BTW i noticed that the VFX like fireballs and such also got upgraded, noice!

Dang, played it without sound yesterday lol. Will get some headphone action going today.

vg260

I'm not sure what you mean, but my TV has a little bit of overscan, and this game has on-screen text that goes to the very edge of the image, so it gets cuts off. I wish they could add a screen scaling option like MKX has.

Your TV is probably overscanning. I had the same problem with his game when I first got it. You just gotta change your TV settings to 1:1 or "just scan" or whatever it's called on your TV

vg260

Your TV is probably overscanning. I had the same problem with his game when I first got it. You just gotta change your TV settings to 1:1 or "just scan" or whatever it's called on your TV

In my case I always have Just Scan on, and it still cuts off a little bit. It's annoying for this game and in Xrd, but it is an old DLP, and I'm not ready to ditch it yet.

Most games still leave a little bit of a safe zone on the edges, but I guess they're assuming most people have a LCD or fixed pixel display nowadays. The global scaling setting setting in the PS4 display options does nothing. I wish that actually worked.

stn

Shall try this tonight. Thank you! Not a big deal but would be great if it works out.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
stn, have you checked your PS4 scaling options? There's a video setting you can adjust.

Even more themes have been added to PSN (available for download in NA, don't know about other regions):

Mai Shiranui theme
Mexican Fighters theme
Psychic Girl theme (Athena in the red swimsuit)

Here's all the themes.

Athena in the red bikini is supposed to be the original (non psychic girl) Athena. But I guess it's a tribute. :)

Lyte Edge

I see more people reporting online connectivity issues. Hope they get this patched ASAP.

Apparently the game also has PS4 Pro support as of 1.10 (how did I not notice that they dropped the 1.10 patch on...1/10? LOL). I don't have a 4K monitor or TV, so it was hard for me to tell what was supposed to be enhanced, given that the models also got a visual upgrade, but the game did appear noticeably cleaner.

Seems they messed something up yeah, I saw Nerdjosh and nothingxs mentioning how matches themselves were smoother but getting into them in the first place returned more errors than before.

GrayFoxPL

I think SNK's offer on PS4 is pretty cool.

Do you guys think SNK will release KOF98UM and 2002UM with online play on PS4 anytime soon?

Or would that collide with KOFXIV?

Lyte Edge

Do you guys think SNK will release KOF98UM and 2002UM with online play on PS4 anytime soon?

Nope, but I'd love to see it happen. The ports on Steam are nice, but basically dead online. Although I suspect the same thing would happen with a console release. :| I swear these SNK games are active for like a week before they just die out. It sucks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Shall try this tonight. Thank you! Not a big deal but would be great if it works out.

I have a 720 P TV, and regardless of my TV or system settings, this game refuses to scale right. So there's always a bit off the character select screen, and this happens with a lot of games.

I wish the game offered the ability to scale the entire screen down, but it doesn't.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think SNK's offer on PS4 is pretty cool.

Or would that collide with KOFXIV?

Eff 98UM and 2002UM im all about dat KOFXI
I wonder if there's any right issues that prevent the GOAT KOF to be re released.

Dang, played it without sound yesterday lol. Will get some headphone action going today.
I mean VFX like in Visual Effects.

GrayFoxPL

Nope, but I'd love to see it happen. The ports on Steam are nice, but basically dead online. Although I suspect the same thing would happen with a console release. :| I swear these SNK games are active for like a week before they just die out. It sucks.

It's true but I never really play kof's online. I did, back in the kailera days, but those are ancient times now. Can't even play XIV online because it crashes like crazy.
I just want those games for myself. Gameplay is just honey.

Eff 98UM and 2002UM im all about dat KOFXI
I wonder if there's any right issues that prevent the GOAT KOF to be re released.

Eleven is very fun indeed, but I never played 2k2 UM, so I'd love to try it.

Lyte Edge

SNK even did some work on NeoGeo Battle Colosseum on XBLA, too- with "HD" visuals and some redone/uprezzed art and proper 16:9. Surprised it never made it onto other platforms.

It's true but I never really play kof's online. I did, back in the kailera days, but those are ancient times now. Can't even play XIV online because it crashes like crazy.
I just want those games for myself. Gameplay is just honey.

Well get 'em on PC. They run on just about everything.

I've got the PS2 versions of '98 UM and 2002 'UM Tougeki, too. Those have arranged soundtracks and optional 3D backgrounds. Wish at least the music made it into all the other ports.

Is anyone else having issues connecting to people online or even creating rooms? Basically all of the online functions for this game seem to be busted at the moment. It does look nice though.

Edit: Of course as soon as I post it works....Hope the netcode is better.

Hyun Sai

Is anyone else having issues connecting to people online or even creating rooms? Basically all of the online functions for this game seem to be busted at the moment. It does look nice though.

Edit: Of course as soon as I post it works....Hope the netcode is better.

Online is broken ATM, they're working on it.

Online is broken ATM, they're working on it.

Thanks for the update ^^

I just got out of an hour long set with a guy and the netcode was smoooth as silk. No slow down...no ....no nothing. This was a 5 bar connection though. But even in the past 5 bars was junk.

I still want to see how it is with other people but that was by far the most fun iv had online with this game since it came out.

In my case I always have Just Scan on, and it still cuts off a little bit. It's annoying for this game and in Xrd, but it is an old DLP, and I'm not ready to ditch it yet.

Most games still leave a little bit of a safe zone on the edges, but I guess they're assuming most people have a LCD or fixed pixel display nowadays. The global scaling setting setting in the PS4 display options does nothing. I wish that actually worked.
Idk if you have an older Samsung tv because I don't use just scan either. It gives me black bars when I use it. What I do instead is change the input name to "PC" and that gives me a pure 1:1 screen without black bars. So id try that if you have the option. Only downside on my TV with that is that some picture options (like color or sharpness) get grayed out and I can't change them anymore, but the default settings are good enough tho so its not too bad.

Apparently the game also has PS4 Pro support as of 1.10 (how did I not notice that they dropped the 1.10 patch on...1/10? LOL). I don't have a 4K monitor or TV, so it was hard for me to tell what was supposed to be enhanced, given that the models also got a visual upgrade, but the game did appear noticeably cleaner.
Using these 4K shots, I pixel counted and believe the 1.10 update is rendering at 1440p.

BadWolf

Man, Vice and Mature look so much better, Vice in particular looks excellent. Even their designs are done more justice with stuff like the leather parts of the costumes being all properly leathery and shiny. And Mature's fireballs and other slash effects also look way, way better.

On a side note, Chin's damage is friggin ridonculous. And this is without drinks.

My cat has better communication skills than Capcom, that's not the bar you want to compare things to.

That is true but SNK's communication has actually been surprisingly great overall.

If they say something comes out on a certain day then there is a 95% chance that it will either come out that day or earlier. If there are any issues then they are acknowledged immediately. Any issues and glitches are fixed quickly.

Hyun Sai

That is true, but I cannot stress enough how they hurt the game by not testing the online properly before submitting patches. The game already suffered at launch because of online bugs, and now people wanting to test it because of the graphical update cannot even play online properly. I don't even talk about the region lock problem.

Another missed opportunity...

BadWolf

Man, so many hype matches this weekend.

The Korean, Chinese and Peru qualifiers were stacked with great matches.

A lot of characters being used overall, the Peru qualifier had Kensou and Alice in the grand finals. The Kensou user is Toshi, who also had the best Kensou in XIII (and uses him in OG 2002 as well iirc).

The game's balance is in a good place right now I think, there are many strong and viable characters. Over 10 can be considered high tier and very strong and there is a whole bunch right under them that can easily give them a run for their money.

Only Iori now remains of Xiaohai's pre-patch team, the other two characters have been replaced with Robert and Leona. Madkof seems to have replaced K'/Nakoruru with Robert and Geese with Verse, Mature is still his anchor. Vash still has the best Kyo, his matches with Lacid were so hype. Lacid's Daimon and Kim are such beasts. ET representing that Andy and Beni.

The players who qualified for the championship so far are:

Cypher (Mexico)
Xiaohai (China)
Reynald (US)
Dakou (China)
Madkof (Korea)
ET (Tawian)
Bozai (China)
Naiwang (China)
Toshi (Peru)

It seems that the tenth spot will be decided at this weekend's Taiwanese qualifier. Two spots seem to be reserved for Japanese invites and 3 spots for international invites.

Top 16 (for the championship) will take place in Japan and Top 4 will take place in Beijing.

Oh and Oda attended the Chinese qualifier. According to Gato Ray, he said that two DLC costumes will be releasing this month (around the 26th maybe), they will be for Shun'ei and Nakoruru.

That is true, but I cannot stress enough how they hurt the game by not testing the online properly before submitting patches. The game already suffered at launch because of online bugs, and now people wanting to test it because of the graphical update cannot even play online properly. I don't even talk about the region lock problem.

Another missed opportunity...

Really unfortunate this happened with the upgrade patch but on the plus side it seems to have happened because they they were trying to improve the netcode, which they did do it looks like. What matches I do play are even smoother than before. Had 3 smooth sessions against people from Japan just this morning. But yeah, the timing for the online issues sucks for sure.

Sayad

That is true but SNK's communication has actually been surprisingly great overall.

If they say something comes out on a certain day then there is a 95% chance that it will either come out that day or earlier. If there are any issues then they are acknowledged immediately. Any issues and glitches are fixed quickly.
Oh, I know. Seeing a head dev resounding to problems quickly on twitter promising a patch is pretty nice. None of the bureaucracy cluster fuck of Capcom where Capcom US has to get confirmation from Capcom Japan, Capcom Japan has to talk to SFV devs at Capcom who have to confirm things with whatever outsourcing firm responsible for whatever they're planning to fix(there's probably a required green light from whoever responsible for SFV finances/budget somewhere) and then communicate things back through the hierarchy before Capcom USA could post a response!
It's why patches with widely requested fixes release and are discovered by the community before any official announcement from Capcom! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BadWolf

Looks like SNK has started sending out the invitations for the championship's special invite spots.

M' (Japan), Picnic (Japan), Kane Blue River (Chile) and Frionel (Morocco?) have received them so far I think.

According to Gato Ray, there are now 2 spots remaining to be filled.

Also, SNK is planning a major after party for the championship. MMCafe has written an article about it.

Nice, wonder if they will release the DLC costumes for the month along with it.

Fingers cross for a casual/modern wear Nakoruru costume.

With Shun'ei I have no idea what to expect. Though I guess they could troll with a Rock Howard costume, they already gave him a Rock color palette in the new patch.

Fersis

I watched a bit of the Peruvian tournament, it was pretty cool to see so many characters being played at high level.

Also mad props to the dude rocking the Yagami Team.

Hyun Sai

Well, downloaded the patch, online still dead for us in our region. Can't find a room, can't create a room (when 1 of 10 attempts shows me there are indeed rooms available).

I'm done. The saddest part is my friends and I played SFV just fine this week-end, so we'll stick to this.

Too bad.

Top Bottom