• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Famitsu news [Sept 26, 2007] (Kingdom Hearts and more?)

neo2046

ASH Review
・チーム編成を起点に本作独自の戦略性を演出
・利便性に欠けるいくつかの仕様は惜しまれる
・マップ上のキャラクターが小さく、スムーズにタッチしづらい
・仲間の死を生につなげていく物語も興味津々
・編成画面の画面変更など、やや不便な点も
・インターフェースはよく非常に遊びやすい作り
・1回の戦闘時間は長め。1ステージのクリアにかなりの時間がかかるときも

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Re:CoM is the full 3D remake of CoM on the PS2 that was packed with KH2 FM+. :p
Which Musashi did that team make before re:CoM? Both?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yoboman said:
Nothing wrong with complaining about the games leaving behind their Disney heritage more and moreso, which is what made them more interesting and popular than it should've been as just a decent Action RPG.

What are you talking about? Seriously, you're boggling my mind here.

"The games leaving behind their Disney heritage".

There were TWO games on the PS2, one on the GBA. The GBA one was a retelling of the original game pretty much, which leaves one other game, which was obviously still about the Disney stuff.

So you're basically making stupid judgments based on the first ever screens released of a game.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Which Musashi did that team make before re:CoM? Both?

The shitty PS2 one. But with Nomura at the helm of these projects, I don't think fans will be remotely disappointed. Seriously.

Edit: The ASH review basically says that the game is founded on team formation tactics, the characters are tiny on the map, but touch controls are rather smooth. The interface is fine for actually playing and controlling but they seem to have issues with certain issues like like you're forming your party and stuff. They also mention that the battles take really long and hence finishing each map takes ages.

ZeoVGM

Banned
duckroll said:
The shitty PS2 one. But with Nomura at the helm of these projects, I don't think fans will be remotely disappointed. Seriously.

Yeah, I think all 3 of these will be quality. The PSP game looks like typical KH gameplay, so I'd be shocked if they fucked that up, and the DS game looks REALLY nice.

Defuser

duckroll said:
No wonder XIII is being a hush hush.
Nomura is handling too many projects at once....

neo2046

seems this week's famitsu only has Kingdom Hearts scoop and nothing more
71457361320070926090812.gif

B.K.

neo2046 said:
seems this week's famitsu only has Kingdom Hearts scoop and nothing more
71457361320070926090812.gif

I wonder if it costs Square Enix more money to buy review scores or buy the entire magazine for a week.

Yoboman

omg rite said:
What are you talking about? Seriously, you're boggling my mind here.

"The games leaving behind their Disney heritage".

There were TWO games on the PS2, one on the GBA. The GBA one was a retelling of the original game pretty much, which leaves one other game, which was obviously still about the Disney stuff.

So you're basically making stupid judgments based on the first ever screens released of a game.
Originally it was all Disney, now they're spanning to their own lame ass story and the Disney stuff is shrinking with every installment. I'm not saying it'll be gone entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - especially with the PSP one.

Defuser

Mefisutoferesu said:
Why's everyone so down hearted? Were you guys expecting anything specific in this weeks famitsu?
After weeks of awesome news and scans before TGS,it kinda raise our expectation of the mag:lol

duckroll

Yoboman said:
Originally it was all Disney, now they're spanning to their own lame ass story and the Disney stuff is shrinking with every installment. I'm not saying it'll be gone entirely, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case - especially with the PSP one.

Is that why Mickey is in all 3 games? And why Olympus and Sleeping Beauty are worlds in the PSP game? It must be because they're doing away with Disney forever! Amirite. :p

jj984jj

duckroll said:
Yeah, at least he's directing the DS/PSP games.

duckroll said:
The ASH review basically says that the game is founded on team formation tactics, the characters are tiny on the map, but touch controls are rather smooth. The interface is fine for actually playing and controlling but they seem to have issues with certain issues like like you're forming your party and stuff. They also mention that the battles take really long and hence finishing each map takes ages.
Aww, I thought that might happen when when you described the battle system to us the first time. Taking turn-based strategy and mixing it with turn-based combat would make it really slow, I'm not surprised but I'm hoping it isn't boring which for me will all pretty much depend on the depth of that battle/class system.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Yeah, at least he's directing the DS/PSP games.

He's directing all 3.

Aww, I thought that might happen when when you described the battle system to us the first time. Taking turn-based strategy and mixing it with turn-based combat would make it really slow, I'm not surprised but I'm hoping it isn't boring which for me will all pretty much depend on the depth of that battle/class system.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Famitsu has to say about a RPG or Strategy game. Game comes out next week, wait for real impressions. :p

ethelred

duckroll said:
I wouldn't put too much stock in anything Famitsu has to say about a RPG or Strategy game. Game comes out next week, wait for real impressions. :p

That's what I'm doing. I'll wait for people to play it. "Battles take too long" is a retarded complaint for an SRPG -- if the game has flaws, I'm sure the actual gamers will be able to point them out. :lol

jj984jj

duckroll said:
He's directing all 3.
Oh I thought Tabata was directing the mobile game, sorry. :lol

Will do! :D

speedpop said:
:lol Where's Izzy at!? IZZY!
Izzy is gone, he might be watching though.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Oh I thought Tabata was directing the mobile game, sorry. :lol

Nomura is directing all 3. The different teams have their own co-directors on-board. Tabata's team is doing Coded. ;_;

Defuser

duckroll said:
Nomura is directing all 3. The different teams have their own co-directors on-board. Tabata's team is doing Coded. ;_;
Which sinks my heart abit,looks like KH PSP won't be as awesome as Crisis Core....

ethelred

Defuser said:
Which sinks my heart abit,looks like KH PSP won't be as awesome as Crisis Core....

Why? There's no reason to think that at all. It's not like Hajime Tabata had done anything particularly notable prior to Crisis Core -- he'd just made an FF7 cell phone spinoff. So who's to say Tai Yasue can't design just as good a game?

Yasue's actually done game planning work before, so that's a pretty good sign, and he's got an internal Square Enix team on the game. Really, the title people should be concerned about here is the DS one, given that it's A) being outsourced to a not-outstanding developer; B) the co-director has no prior direction/game design/game planning experience, but has only worked in art; and C) is going to be another non-online multiplayer game.

duckroll

Defuser said:

I dunno, Crisis Core's Creative Producer is Nomura.... :p

For those wondering, KHBbS PSP's battle system is said by Nomura to be "closer to Re:CoM" in terms of mechanics. The controls are typical KH, but the actual commands that are available act like a sort of "deck". While they're not using cards this time, it seems that between CoM, IAWW and Crisis Core, Nomura really has a thing about fast paced action style systems that also have random elements that change battles on the fly outside of your control but keep the action going. He did mention that the gameplay of KHBbS is a progress of CoM and IAWW. There are also many timing elements in the gameplay in terms of pulling off combos and so on.

jj984jj

duckroll said:
I dunno, Crisis Core's Creative Producer is Nomura.... :p
He's a Creative Producer on It's a Wonderful World as well, I doubt these games had much of his involvement, I wish Tabata wasn't put on another mobile game. :(

duckroll

jj984jj said:
He's a Creative Producer on It's a Wonderful World as well, I doubt these games had much of his involvement, I wish Tabata wasn't put on another mobile game. :(

I would say his interviews on these games indicate the opposite. He's very much involved with the games and work with the directors and teams in a very close manner.

duckroll said:
For those wondering, KHBbS PSP's battle system is said by Nomura to be "closer to Re:CoM" in terms of mechanics. The controls are typical KH, but the actual commands that are available act like a sort of "deck". While they're not using cards this time, it seems that between CoM, IAWW and Crisis Core, Nomura really has a thing about fast paced action style systems that also have random elements that change battles on the fly outside of your control but keep the action going. He did mention that the gameplay of KHBbS is a progress of CoM and IAWW. There are also many timing elements in the gameplay in terms of pulling off combos and so on.

Well, this is a good news IMO. The one (and only?) thing I liked of KH:CoM was its battle system.
I don't want another uber-dark RPG though... KH2 and FF13VS are enough...

neo2046 said:
NDS ASH - 9 / 8 / 8 / 8
PSP Gundam Battle Chronicle - 8 / 8 / 8 / 8

PS2 Pawafuru Major League - 8 / 8 / 7 / 7
Wii Pawafuru Major League - 8 / 8 / 7 / 7
PS2 DBZ Sparking Meteor - 8 / 8 / 8 / 8
Wii DBZ Sparking Meteor - 9 / 8 / 8 / 8

!!!!

why have I just heard of this? I am replaying the previous one right now.

Defuser

duckroll said:
Thanks,got my hopes up greatly.
Looks like thetrin would uber happy for KH PSP.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, Nomura took Jupiter and made them great. Nomura took Tabata and made him great. There's no reason to think he won't do the same with these KH games.

He's basically the guy driving the quality at Square these days. He has great game design ideas and approaches to both gameplay and story, as well as visuals/music. He seems to bring out the best in those around him.

Yoboman

duckroll said:
Is that why Mickey is in all 3 games? And why Olympus and Sleeping Beauty are worlds in the PSP game? It must be because they're doing away with Disney forever! Amirite. :p
That sounds good.

I hope they expand to Disney's "branches" in the next real KH. Imagine if they put in some Miyazaki worlds... Though from what I've heard of the guy I don't think he'd ever allow such a thing. And Pixar makes too much sense, of course

ethelred

Bebpo said:
He's basically the guy driving the quality at Square these days. He has great game design ideas and approaches to both gameplay and story, as well as visuals/music. He seems to bring out the best in those around him.

Wow, I don't think I could possibly disagree with this post more.

I'm not saying that Crisis Core isn't a great game, but you seem to be going quite a bit overboard there in the praise of Nomura.

ethelred said:
Wow, I don't think I could possibly disagree with this post more.

I'm not saying that Crisis Core isn't a great game, but you seem to be going quite a bit overboard there in the praise of Nomura.

Can you prove him wrong though?

Also, KH: BbS looks great... I really hope it doesn't slow down too much though compared to the previous KH console games.

ethelred

DarknessTear said:
Can you prove him wrong though?

In that Nomura doesn't have truly great approaches to story, visuals, and music, and in that he's made quite a few bad games which casts the whole "he's driving thw quality at Square" bit into a dubious light, I think the wrongness of the remarks is evident.

I also don't have any idea why he's being given credit for the Crisis Core story (done by Kazushige Nojima) or by music done by Takeharu Ishimoto, whose tenure at Square predates Nomura's rise, and whose compositional style was displayed before Nomura made his first game (when Ishimoto did the bonus track for Vagrant Story).

Steroyd

Kyoufu said:
Birth By Sleep looks great. Its going to be another huge PSP seller in Japan.

I'd be surprised KH is a 'weaker' franchise then FF.

Probably fair better than most PSP titles mind you.

Top Bottom