• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, this will be aired in HD?? Haven't even thought of that yet. :)
I know right, the first series never aired in HD and theirs no blue-ray release or anything.
So I'm really really stocked for this to air in HD, the animation in this leaked version already looks stunning.
So imagine that in HD :D:D:D:D

[edit] Also I guess I'm not allowed to post gifs yet I assume?

Wiseblade

I know right, the first series never aired in HD and theirs no blue-ray release or anything.
So I'm really really stocked for this to air in HD, the animation in this leaked version already looks stunning.
So imagine that in HD :D:D:D:D

[edit] Also I guess I'm not allowed to post gifs yet I assume?

Yeah, lets at least try to wait until the 24th before filling this thread with spoilers.

Thanks for everyone who directed me towards the leak. My girlfriend had lost her 3DS and was so down, so I surprised her with this. She's a major Avatar Fan just like me, and it really helped cheer her up.

I allready know I'll be going to buy the DVD or Bluray collection for this so, I don't even feel guilty about watching this leak.

The writers and the whole team behind this have my utmost respect. This is how you do a great TV show. This is how animation can enhance storytelling and create unique and timeless worlds and fiction. The quality of the animation, composition and special effects detail is outstanding. It stands up there with the best of TV animation and even makes some animated movies look extremely cheap.

I am extremely impressed that they managed to marry the more adult tone with the whimsical comedic stuff of the original series. There is just enough nostalgic nods in there for fans, but the series really stands on it's own two feet, and Korra seems to be one of the strongest lead characters I've seen in years. A young women who isn't a sexed up bimbo or any other kind of male stereotypical depiction of strong women.

Mr. Sam

Generator Rex is an amazing show.

I hate seeing people run down modern animated shows. Batman: Brave and the Bold, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Misadventures of Flapjack and others are just as good as, if not better than, the animated shows of any supposed "golden era." Keep your Dexter's Lab and keep your Thundercats.

I'm a big admirer of Generator Rex - and most of Man of Action's work - but Avatar's just on a whole other level. Great concept, great story (with continuity!), great characters, great animation, great humour; it's just the whole package. Jack of all trades, master of all.

CoolS

Thanks for everyone who directed me towards the leak. My girlfriend had lost her 3DS and was so down, so I surprised her with this. She's a major Avatar Fan just like me, and it really helped cheer her up.

I allready know I'll be going to buy the DVD or Bluray collection for this so, I don't even feel guilty about watching this leak.

The writers and the whole team behind this have my utmost respect. This is how you do a great TV show. This is how animation can enhance storytelling and create unique and timeless worlds and fiction. The quality of the animation, composition and special effects detail is outstanding. It stands up there with the best of TV animation and even makes some animated movies look extremely cheap.

I am extremely impressed that they managed to marry the more adult tone with the whimsical comedic stuff of the original series. There is just enough nostalgic nods in there for fans, but the series really stands on it's own two feet, and Korra seems to be one of the strongest lead characters I've seen in years. A young women who isn't a sexed up bimbo or any other kind of male stereotypical depiction of strong women.

Great post!

Btw did anyone else go "Yeah!" when Korra
used earthbending to stop the car the thugs were leaving in? I was like 'ok here comes a badass earthbending move' and I wasn't disappointed.

322-2-13.jpg

Firenation-Tundra-Tanks.png

20110107183828!Ozai's_Airship.png

Waterbending-powered_submarine_sideview.png

Qing dynasty must have been pretty badass. It's clear that in the Avatar world which was very tribal, focused on bending, and in the middle of a war that technology was not sweeping the world eventhough it was being steadily developed. When peace time came you had an explosion of development and innovation.

Thanks. I didn't want to have to post this. The development is pretty spot on. They already had tanks and all other sorts of machines. If you have a problem with Legend of Korras technological advances then you probably don't remember avatar that well.

Yeah, once the nations stopped warring, a free flow of information started, which allowed for a much faster development of technologies.
Pretty much exactly like the end WW2 when the Western world saw and explosion of new technologies at their disposal.

Tuck

I STILL have problems with the level of technological development that has taken place over only 100 years. I have to actively work my suspension of disbelief on that one.

It makes a lot of sense actually. The original series, as shown above, has a LOT of technology. It was all just used in the militarizes (The fire nation especially). Look how much has changed in our world in 100 years.

Tizoc

Ep. 1 was fatnastic!
Looking forward to the next eps.
So are there any GIFs and reaction images from this episode?

I STILL have problems with the level of technological development that has taken place over only 100 years. I have to actively work my suspension of disbelief on that one.

Lol what...are you serious? The first successful test of the lightbulb was in 1879...compare that to the 90s and look at the staggering amount of development that occurred in that time period. You should have no problems at all with this

CoolS

Thanks. I didn't want to have to post this. The development is pretty spot on. They already had tanks and all other sorts of machines. If you have a problem with Legend of Korras technological advances then you probably don't remember avatar that well.

Yeah, once the nations stopped warring, a free flow of information started, which allowed for a much faster development of technologies.
Pretty much exactly like the end WW2 when the Western world saw and explosion of new technologies at their disposal.
Pretty much.

Ep. 1 was fatnastic!
I think it was decided that we will wait untill at least the 24th before openly posting stuff from the first episode.

btw, 102.193 likes on the Facebook page right now:)

Wiseblade

Ep. 1 was fatnastic!

There are a bunch of gifs made from the announcement trailer that are from the first episode and one reaction GIF that was made yesterday, I believe.

Trailer GIFs

http://i.minus.com/inWhEp19VwjcY.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibzRyrM3SPckyl.gif

http://i.minus.com/ibymIE3YkcRSiJ.gif

http://i.minus.com/ix3BjrArJX6EC.gif

Reaction GIFs

http://i.imgur.com/JAO9M.gif

Please refrain from embedding stuff until the 24th.

Erasus

I loved the first Avatar: The Last Airbender series. Amazing 3 seasons of that, if only there was a blu-ray version D:

I watched it in like a week, I was sick and just got hoocked on it
3AQmK.gif

Piecake

Im trying to stay strong and not watch it cause if I do, i know the wait in between episodes 1 and 2 will be unbearable.

Plus, likely bad quality video

CoolS

Gifs of the elements from the intro.
http://i.imgur.com/CLUoC.gif
Can't get used to that beard :/

Im trying to stay strong and not watch it cause if I do, i know the wait in between episodes 1 and 2 will be unbearable.

Plus, likely bad quality video
The wait is unbearable, but after waiting such a long time for Korra it's worth it. Plus you'll rewatch anyway so you might as well see all the awesome as soon as possible ;)

Qwomo

Pretty good first episode, though I'd seen most of the good bits from leaks and trailers.

Steven Blum at the end as the villain guy, whatever his name is, made me chuckle. I love the guy, but he's no Mark Hammill.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I was going to wait until the whole season aired before watching, but my willpower's not so strong.

Air

Banned
great first episode. Loved the atmosphere, the city, Korra is a great character. Inspired me too. Look forward to seeing what else is in store.

Ok, I simply must watch this.

Especially since I'm in the OT. What what.

I do want to rewatch the original series again, if only because I watched it only once... through Nick's painfully stupid website. :/

Watched the first episode and it was great. The tone is definetly more adult/mature but it also has some of that humor from the original. The music and animation is amazing. Definetly a great blend of the Roaring 20's New York and Shanghai. I thought it also gave just the right amount of teases for the series. Implying that we will be able to find out more about what happened after the original series ended and what threat will be happening in Republic City. I also enjoyed how they paired Korra's reaction to the city to mirror the audience's reaction. I think both the audience and Korra was shocked and surprised to how developed the city was and how things worked there. I also like how they differentiate Aang and Korra's journey. While Aang struggled with the physical elements he could quite easily pick up on the spiritual side which seems to run the opposite of Korra who seems to pick up elements but not the spiritual side. As observed by the gang confrontation she definetly is a lot more agressive and reckless about handling the situation. I also wonder about Toph's daughter she seemed to imply some sort of bitterness towards Aang/Avatar or perhaps she was just trying to remain neutral towards the situation at hand. I hope the non-bender, evil threat, group gets picked up on soon as to what they will be doing. I suspect they will be in the background for longer since we still have to introduce the two brothers and I assume the martial arts games that Korra and the two brothers will participate in. That was one element that I enjoyed from the original is that the Fire bending nation was a persistent threat.

"I'm the Avatar Deal with it." was such a great line by young Korra, btw.

CoolS

Watched the first episode and it was great. The tone is definetly more adult/mature but it also has some of that humor from the original. The music and animation is amazing. Definetly a great blend of the Roaring 20's New York and Shanghai. I thought it also gave just the right amount of teases for the series. Implying that we will be able to find out more about what happened after the original series ended and what threat will be happening in Republic City. I also enjoyed how they paired Korra's reaction to the city to mirror the audience's reaction. I think both the audience and Korra was shocked and surprised to how developed the city was and how things worked there. I also like how they differentiate Aang and Korra's journey. While Aang struggled with the physical elements he could quite easily pick up on the spiritual side which seems to run the opposite of Korra who seems to pick up elements but not the spiritual side. As observed by the gang confrontation she definetly is a lot more agressive and reckless about handling the situation. I also wonder about Toph's daughter she seemed to imply some sort of bitterness towards Aang/Avatar or perhaps she was just trying to remain neutral towards the situation at hand. I hope the non-bender, evil threat, group gets picked up on soon as to what they will be doing. I suspect they will be in the background for longer since we still have to introduce the two brothers and I assume the martial arts games that Korra and the two brothers will participate in. That was one element that I enjoyed from the original is that the Fire bending nation was a persistent threat.

I think it has more to do with her taking her responsibility as Chief of the police very serious.

It's kind of interesting really, they have a police force which is made of highly specialized earthbenders, the metal benders, yet they still have to treat everyone the same, be it a bender or 'normal' criminals. Even Korra the Avatar didn't get any special treatment untill Tenzin, one of the city's leaders showed up. On the other side its questionable if non-benders could pose an effective police force against powerful bending criminals.
I hope they'll elaborate on the police force a lot more when the whole anti-bender story comes up.

Toph's daughter she seemed to imply some sort of bitterness towards Aang/Avatar or perhaps she was just trying to remain neutral towards the situation at hand..[/spoiler]

She was just subverting protagonist centered morality.

Being the protagonist doesn't give you a free pass to break the law.

This will probably the reason for her not killing people. Although I don't see why she would have to kill someone yet.

I just mean that they'll have to (or at least should) go about the issue differently than they did with Aang due to the apparant differences in beliefs and personality between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom