• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!

Yuterald

this is amazing, right here

Haha, for whatever reason, I sent the request for the inscription with an "s" at the end of "studio". I'm pretty sure their development team is just "Yakuza Studio". Sort of been bothering me after all these years too, lol!

That chalice was a testament to the peak of my gaming fandom. I don't think I've felt as passionate about games as I did since the release of Binary Domain and Yakuza 4/Dead Souls.

cj_iwakura

I think I really screwed up the second hostess business in Y2. :( They're already in the red. Is it possible to fix it?

That was really fun to do, by the way. A lot more fun than Y4's management.

My JP copy of Yakuza 0 just arrived. Going to give it a go later. :D

r1024405_by_lightningtremlett-d8u1rvi.jpg

r1024406_by_lightningtremlett-d8u1rwe.jpg

Been playing for a while, stumbling through the story due to th language barrier.

The graphics and combat system are amazing, but menu navigation is a pain in the ass, as X cancels and O confirms choices, in basically every other game it's the opposite.

Ok now I shall attempt to load my saved game.

Is there any interest for a stream of this? Screenshots are not permitted but I can broadcast on twitch.

t26

Funny my copy of Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin showed up today. Really hate to play it out of order but no release date for Yakuza 5...

Btw which are the best 2 fighting style to use in Ishin out of the 4?

Sgblues

Funny my copy of Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin showed up today. Really hate to play it out of order but no release date for Yakuza 5...

Btw which are the best 2 fighting style to use in Ishin out of the 4?

Well they are all good but I would say gun and either hand to hand or two handed sword style.

I got Yakuza 1 from a friend of mine at work. He didn't like it and sold it to me for cheap. Anyway, it was dope as shiatsu. I bought three copies of Yakuza 2 because I thought there was something wrong with the disk when it was actually my ps2 laser that was dying.

In the short time I owned a ps3 I didn't buy Yakuza 3. I saw part of a lets play and for some reason it didn't strike my fancy. Not sure why. I was nuts for the ps2 titles.

May16

So here's a podcast about the Yakuza series. A lot of it is about Zero, but it's spoiler-free.

There's direct download (MP3) and streaming options. The table of contents is:
0:00:00 – Intro
0:02:01 – The Yakuza series in 1 minute
0:03:33 – Our experience with the series so far
0:05:50 – Yakuza is NOT like GTA
0:08:53 – Which game should you start with?
0:16:01 – Should you import the games? Which ones?
0:18:45 – Importing Yakuza Ishin and Yakuza Zero
0:24:33 – Yakuza’s hurdles to localization
0:30:20 – Sega’s marketing (or lack thereof)
0:34:15 – Tropes vs. Yakuza
0:40:41 – In-depth discussion of Yakuza Zero
0:44:05 – Why make a prequel with these characters?
0:47:40 – Japan’s 1988 economic bubble
0:53:12 – Bubble-era pop culture: beepers, disco and more
0:59:30 – 1988 Kamurocho and Soutenbori
1:03:25 – Creeping out random NPCs
1:08:08 – Combat in Yakuza Zero, Differences between 0 and 5
1:18:20 – Making it rain: money in Zero
1:20:54 – Sexual content and objectification
1:29:50 – The future of the Yakuza series

Might be good for the OP?

Either way, informative for anyone on the fence or wondering what the series is all about. Thought I'd share.

Razlo

This is really one of my favorite game series of all time. Eventually I'll own every game on the series, just waiting to see which titles I'll have to import (already imported PSP and Kenzan).

IrishNinja

So here's a podcast about the Yakuza series. A lot of it is about Zero, but it's spoiler-free.

Yakuza is NOT like GTA sounds like a leftover impression from the marketing behind part 1 over here years ago (or cj_iwakura's fantastic ad for 4 that i never saw, haha). me, i'dve added a segment called "As a Shenmue fan: it's not Shenmue, it's not better or worse (it's quite different), also shut up"

i'm not married to that name though

How import friendly is Zero? What I mean by this is are there any missions where the indicator where to go next disappears?

If there's always an indicator on where to go next that would be great. I'd only be missing the sidequests.

SephLuis

How import friendly is Zero? What I mean by this is are there any missions where the indicator where to go next disappears?

If there's always an indicator on where to go next that would be great. I'd only be missing the sidequests.

Most of the times it has the indicator, but when it does not you will get lost. Badly.

Also, since the evolution of your character is tied to money, you would have issues to level up since sidequests and minigames give a lot of it

May16

Also, since the evolution of your character is tied to money, you would have issues to level up since sidequests and minigames give a lot of it

Yeah. The parts about real estate and cabaret can be tough without a working knowledge (listening helps, but especially reading!) of Japanese.

Look around the internet for a good functional guide to these games, I'd say. If you find one, and other importers are claiming to get through it and enjoy it without knowing Japanese...then the seas look clear for importing.

Past

The release date will get announce during Gio/Adam Boyes segment at E3 along with an announcement for a physical release, I can feel it.

ninanuam

Banned
My small haul from my trip last week.

Is primarily 0 Yakuza related so I thought id share.

img_0039.jpg

Now I play the waiting game for a English walk through for 0.

ninanuam

Banned
At a guess, maybe a limited edition Yakuza PS Vita. At least, it looks exactly like the box of my LE Yakuza Vita.

Exactly.

I was looking for one on the last day of my trip fucking went to Ginza (sony store) and Akihabara. Got Disappointed and couldn't find one so I bought the Toukiden instead because I liked the look of the graphic. Then when I was looking for a power adapter in the Traders close to my hotel I came across the Yakuza Vita. So I bought it but, as I already opened the Toukiden Vita I have no need to open it.

I was pretty stupid though, I forgot Ishin came out on PS4 and bought the PS3 version without thinking.

so the stage show of Yakuza 1 is floating around the web, watching a bit of it earlier and seems rather fun. Plus the usage of the game's music gets me feeling nostalgic.

Okay I have hit a roadblock , I just defeated the first boss and spent the night in Kiryu's apartment, now I am back in Kamorocho and I have received no indication of where to go next.

Gacha-pin

Okay I have hit a roadblock , I just defeated the first boss and spent the night in Kiryu's apartment, now I am back in Kamorocho and I have received no indication of where to go next.
I guess you have a capture device? Post a pause menu screen. There is always a description for the main story object in the bottom of the screen.

Lucumo

Been playing for a while, stumbling through the story due to th language barrier.

The graphics and combat system are amazing, but menu navigation is a pain in the ass, as X cancels and O confirms choices, in basically every other game it's the opposite.

Considering that O confirms something/success while X means failing, it's not that surprising. I've played more games in my life where those buttons actually mean the correct thing, unlike what you are describing (never got why they messed that up).

Gacha-pin

The game itself doesn't allow screenshots, best I can do is take a photo of my TV screen with the game paused.

As long as the texts is clear enough to legible, it is ok.

By the way,you mean you twitched zero using share? The only thing the viewers saw must be 〇△□× in the blue screen.

Here, hopefully you can translate it.

untitled_by_lightningtremlett-d8ujx5u.jpg

Just found it that all streaming is blocked on the game, so basically I just recorded a blue screen for almost 2 hours earlier. v_v

SephLuis

It was saying to go to the back of maha bowling. Your next roadblock will probably be when Oda asks you for a cake. You can buy in the convenience store that is in the north of kamurocho, near the hotel district

Sgblues

Oh sorry you had to find out that they made it so you couldn't stream straight from the PS4 for this, Ishin is the same way and can only stream from the PS4 in premium adventure mode but can stream your footage with a capture card.

Remember the homeless guys want alcohol from different places like the Poppo's, the M-store and Don Quixote.

Every so often I run into this giant, he has also insanely high HP and damage resistance, I can get his health down by two thirds then he goes beast mode and knocks me down for a kerb stomp finish.

Sgblues

Oh those are カツアゲ, basically giant extortionists, they might seem tough to beat but they have rather simple attack patterns, its best to not get greedy with attacks early till you get strong later on, its a good idea to carry around different weapon types for heat actions on them to take them out faster(knives, bats, clubs) or fight where they are a lot of items to pick up(bikes, traffic cones, neon signs) but remember repeating the same heat moves on them reduces the amount of money you get, so vary it up if you can(also never try to grab them).

For Kiryu his thug style early on is great for them, can use square and then triangle for a one-two combo or can do more hits in after their windup backhand move, for Majima his street fighter style is also great early on for a one-two combo, plus you can get a free heat action once you unlock slugger(bat) style with him. Their jumping grab move would be impossible to survive at lower levels so avoid if possible, they also gain more life and money as you beat them also they get enraged faster.

In the 2nd section of the CP list, you can unlock the ability to gain more money from them(and enemies in general), plus if you do get beaten up there's a chance you'll find them sleeping somewhere and can drain them of their money(kinda slow) or wake them up and usually they would have reduced health. You can also get an enemy finder item that would show enemies on the map, allowing you to hunt them down way easier.

Ok, this training mini game is pissing me off I am against a guy in a leather jacket and combat trousers, I figured out the first two moves but don't know the last one, I am considering just losing on purpose to get this over with.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
got Y3 cib from GameStop for $5 (had a coupon)

grand total:
Y1 $13
Y2 $63
Y3 $5
Y4 (digital) $20
Y: DS (digital) $10

total ~ $120

Ok, this training mini game is pissing me off I am against a guy in a leather jacket and combat trousers, I figured out the first two moves but don't know the last one, I am considering just losing on purpose to get this over with.

If you're struggling with the Japanese, try using the Google Translate app on your phone. It let's you take a photo of the screen (and text), then gives you a VERY rough translation.

It's not ideal, but I used it on a couple of the training objectives to work out what I had to do. One of them involved getting hit and countering right at the last second. Couldn't work it out for the life of me, but the translate app helped.

Top Bottom