• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

jzbluz

No one thinks Hidari will stay on for the new FE? I like their art, but I wouldn't mind a new artist.

I still maintain that Kazuya Nuri would be a good fit for the series, but unfortunately he's attached to Capcom.

Not the same person but one of the Ace Attorney artist did an Otomate game, so maybe that person would be a good alternative.

Rutger

Banned
No one thinks Hidari will stay on for the new FE? I like their art, but I wouldn't mind a new artist.

I'd love to see Hidari stay around for a while, but I thought there were some scheduling conflicts until things worked out for Echoes.

Hidari could be a fun choice for future remakes or something if there's still problems with schedules.

CazTGG

I'd like to see Hidari around for at least one more entry...as long as whoever keeps telling them and Koazki to keep in fan service art like this has their direction disregarded entirely:

latest

Rutger

Banned
I don't mind Kozaki. His work is not anywhere near my favorite in the series, but its also far from my least favorite.

I like how the series changes up artists every now and then, and he probably needs a break. FE Switch would be a good time to try a new artist.

Nohar

Fire Emblem: Echoes finished.

Well, my impression didn't change much. Great presentation, serviceable gameplay. I certainly won't bother with the post-game content. I'm unsure if I'm going to sell it or not. Anyhow, it was an interesting experience, but not something I would like to repeat. Still, over 27 hours for the main compaign, with all battle animations turned off... So much grinding, so many uninteresting maps... This was a slog.
Characters' artworks definitely were an improvement. Awakening and Fates' style grew old. I like the more refined touch the ones from Echoes have.
Surprisingly very good OST! What Lies at the End, Unity (best recruitment/reunion theme I've heard in a while - gosh, those violins at 0:41! Simply amazing) and Twilight of the Gods are all fantastic.

Started playing Sacred Stones.

My first impression is that I'm really glad you get to start on hard mode this time. I guess this makes it the first Fire Emblem with selectable difficulty (outside of the easy modes in Gaiden and Thracia, I guess). It's nice to see that this game starts off.... normally, unlike Blazing Sword, too. It still seems to have an easier opening than most prior FE games (still very early on though - just finished the first chapter where monsters appear - so I'm not casting judgement yet), but up to this point the level design seems solid enough and even these early stages are making decent use of reinforcements.

The open map feels almost entirely superfluous up to this point. I guess later on you can fight monsters in old maps and go to a dungeon or something, but since this game has a reputation for being easy I'm probably just going to go straight through the story to try and mitigate that. I'll also say that it's a neat novelty to see monsters back, even if they aren't functionally significantly different from regular enemies in many cases.

My first impression is that I'm really glad you get to start on hard mode this time. I guess this makes it the first Fire Emblem with selectable difficulty (outside of the easy modes in Gaiden and Thracia, I guess). It's nice to see that this game starts off.... normally, unlike Blazing Sword, too. It still seems to have an easier opening than most prior FE games (still very early on though - just finished the first chapter where monsters appear - so I'm not casting judgement yet), but up to this point the level design seems solid enough and even these early stages are making decent use of reinforcements.

The open map feels almost entirely superfluous up to this point. I guess later on you can fight monsters in old maps and go to a dungeon or something, but since this game has a reputation for being easy I'm probably just going to go straight through the story to try and mitigate that. I'll also say that it's a neat novelty to see monsters back, even if they aren't functionally significantly different from regular enemies in many cases.
Binding Blade and Blazing Sword both have different difficulties? Unless you just mean you can select it from the start.

jnWake

Sacred Stones has some really fun maps. Main downside IMO is that it's kinda short for one playthrough. Story's good and the lords are the best though so it's still a great game.

NeonZ

You can recruit new characters by finishing the dungeons post-game (and, IIRC, the final floor of the 2nd one only opens during the post-game creature campaign anyway). So leave them for that point if you're even still playing it after getting to the ending.

Binding Blade and Blazing Sword both have different difficulties? Unless you just mean you can select it from the start.

Yeah. Binding Blade's normal mode is totally acceptable (hardest in the series up through its release aside from Thracia) so I'm not bothered by that game, but Blazing Sword's normal mode is far too lax for hard mode not to have been an option from the start.

I'm okay with needing to unlock hard modes in something like Bayonetta or other similarly short games, but Fire Emblem games are like 30 hours lol. No real desire to do two full playthroughs of FE7 to unlock what seems to be its best mode.

Gradivus

Because he has been showing interest in the series recently, I'm getting my friend a 3DS Fire Emblem game for his birthday, thou but I'm not sure what to pick...

Which one would you reckon is better to showcase to a beginner?
I was going to go with Echoes first, but I was a bit worry about the outdated map design might annoy him, then I started thinking maybe Fates might be more suitable, until remembering about the terrible story, and so on.

Birthright has probably the least-bad story of the 3DS games imo, and I doubt a beginner would have much of a problem with the kinda boring map design, especially since Awakening's is pretty bad unless you're on Lunatic. Awakening would probably be also fine though, at least the story isn't nearly as bad as Conquest or Revelation.

Rutger

Banned
but awakening has a terrible story

Story has never really been FE's strongest point, and Awakening at its worst is just unremarkable.

Fates can only be appreciated for its gameplay and the story would be a big turn off to most newcomers, and Echoes has amazing production values but can be too much of a slog. Awakening has its flaws but it's a decent starting point, and easily the best choice of the 3DS games for someone new to the series imo.

jnWake

Finished my first playthrough of Birthright.

Really enjoyed it! The gameplay is awesome, the modifications to pair-up make it a much fairer system (altho its use as transport is still broken) and it's cool that enemies also benefit from it this time. I also loved the much deeper skills, the removal of weapon breaking and the new classes. I hope the weapon triangle is more similar to Heroes on the next entry though, I like the different types of magic and having some classes as colorless is also neat.

My expectations for the story were really low thanks to all the internet impressions so I ended up kinda enjoying it. At worst it was a bit bland because of the lack of any major twist or revelation (which I assume are saved for 'Revelations' lol). My main gripes with the story are the constant worshipping of Corrin and the unnecessary amount of deaths. Lilith in particular was like "wut?", although having her temple empty afterwards and seeing a ghost sprite level up kinda makes up for it.

I'm excited to try Conquest now!

Lynx_7

Lilith in particular was like "wut?", although having her temple empty afterwards and seeing a ghost sprite level up kinda makes up for it.

Wait, she dies on Birthright? Man, I must've really dozed off because I can't remember that at all. Also, if you thought BR had gratuitous deaths, oh boy, do I have a Revelation for you! ;)

Anyway, I think I'm finally ready for another FE. Finishing the Fates trilogy burnt me off, but I'm getting that itch again. Currently leaning towards going back to the GBA games, but New Mystery would make more sense while I still have SD and Echoes fresh in my mind. I guess Sacred Stones is short enough that I could play it first and still have enough fuel to tackle New Mystery afterwards.

jnWake

Wait, she dies on Birthright? Man, I must've really dozed off because I can't remember that at all. Also, if you thought BR had gratuitous deaths, oh boy, do I have a Revelation for you! ;)

Well I'm going through Conquest first!

She dies when you battle Hans. There's a cutscene where Hans beats Corrin in a battle and Lilith jumps in the middle of an attack to save Corrin. Killed by fucking Hans of all people.

Gradivus

Well I'm going through Conquest first!

She dies when you battle Hans. There's a cutscene where Hans beats Corrin in a battle and Lilith jumps in the middle of an attack to save Corrin. Killed by fucking Hans of all people.

On the topic with Hans, I seriously hope they improve the villains for FE switch. Fates and Awakening ones were lacklusters.

The biggest problem with 3DS villains imo is that there isn't the set 3/4/6 lieutenants with imposing names and titles like I feel most post-Kaga FE had before Awakening. The Four Fangs, the Four Riders, the Three Wyvern Generals, etc. I've always thought that was a pretty successful formula for generating good bosses.

jnWake

Problem with 3DS villains IMO is that they are too stupidly evil, be it with an obviously evil design or with ridiculous evil personalities. They lack subtlety. I'll say that I enjoyed Gangrel though.

Shengar

I think Masayuki Doi is also a good choice,imagine him designing characters for a darker fire emblem game

Masayuki Doi is an employee of Atlus, so I guess that's impossible as much as I want it.

As long as his art is closer to the original SMTIV than the Apocalypse of course.

one question:do you guys want to see Takeuchi Takashi doing the character designs for the next fire emblem game?

Oh god no

Draxal

The biggest problem with 3DS villains imo is that there isn't the set 3/4/6 lieutenants with imposing names and titles like I feel most post-Kaga FE had before Awakening. The Four Fangs, the Four Riders, the Three Wyvern Generals, etc. I've always thought that was a pretty successful formula for generating good bosses.

Well, they kinda tried but they were incredibly weak.

Walhard had the Cervantes and Excellus duo, while Garon had Hans and Iago.

They just really failed to build them up especially in Awakening. Awakenings problem was the second arc was so rushed.

Kinsei

Banned
Finished my first playthrough of Birthright.

Really enjoyed it! The gameplay is awesome, the modifications to pair-up make it a much fairer system (altho its use as transport is still broken) and it's cool that enemies also benefit from it this time. I also loved the much deeper skills, the removal of weapon breaking and the new classes. I hope the weapon triangle is more similar to Heroes on the next entry though, I like the different types of magic and having some classes as colorless is also neat.

My expectations for the story were really low thanks to all the internet impressions so I ended up kinda enjoying it. At worst it was a bit bland because of the lack of any major twist or revelation (which I assume are saved for 'Revelations' lol). My main gripes with the story are the constant worshipping of Corrin and the unnecessary amount of deaths. Lilith in particular was like "wut?", although having her temple empty afterwards and seeing a ghost sprite level up kinda makes up for it.

I'm excited to try Conquest now!

I don't think the amount of deaths was that excessive. I can only remember Lilith and Elise dying.

PK Gaming

I really miss this.

Antagonists on the whole, are just way worse in the 3DS games.

jnWake

I don't think the amount of deaths was that excessive. I can only remember Lilith and Elise dying.

More than the number of deaths I didn't like the execution. Mikoto dies literally one chapter after being introduced, Gunter's fake death is also 1 or 2 chapters after you meet him. You meet Flora early in the game but then see her 1 or 2 times before she dies. Lilith is lulz, she has 2 scenes on the first 5 chapters and disappears from the story until her death. Elise's death is better executed in terms of emotional response but is still kinda silly. Xander's is more necessary to the plot and was a little bit better executed.

CSX

Want to get in on the discord but the link on the OT is expired. Can someone PM me a new invite?

Now that i'm done playing Echoes, i hope to talk about FE with yall as we wait for FE switch.

EDit: Got an invite thx!

Titania

Hey, I never ventured into community threads out of being shy, but FE is cool
and NeoGAF is in flames not unlike the Arvis GHB in Heroes
I was wondering if I could get a discord invite.

Top Bottom