• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

Fredrik

Finally got the V2 V3 Atlas passes! I just had to visit Polo enough times, I already had the achievements but didn't know I had to go there and claim the rewards. :p

GekNip is far too difficult to find so I'm currently farming Spadonium and Temerium for Insulating Gel and Albumen Pearls with some Mordite on the side for Lubricant. I'm far too lazy to hunt down the +100% sellers so I set up a galactic trading terminal in the base instead. And a landing pad to get Thamium9 and Zink etc easily.
Wish I would've started farming sooner, this is so much fun! :)

Fredrik

There is a limit to how many objects your base consists of???
I thought there just was an area limit. This is super-disappointing. My three floor green house idea ain't working anymore. :(

NotSelf

I thought there just was an area limit. This is super-disappointing. My three floor green house idea ain't working anymore. :(

Yep I also thought the same thing when I was building my base. My hope for the new update is that they let you claim as many planets as you want or at least just let you claim the three bases on the planet.

If you're on PC you can disable limits. But things start going wonky if you add too many objects regardless. I built a giant multi-tiered glass greenhouse farm which worked well until I tried to add anything anywhere and stuff just randomly broke; I'd fall through floors, panels would disappear, doors stopped working, etc. The engine really doesn't deal well with complex bases at this point.

Fredrik

Yep I also thought the same thing when I was building my base. My hope for the new update is that they let you claim as many planets as you want or at least just let you claim the three bases on the planet.
Yeah they need to do something about this, it's not like I have a huge base, I just have glass windows everywhere and lots of farming boxes, I probably use 1/4 of the base land mass.

If you're on PC you can disable limits. But things start going wonky if you add too many objects regardless. I built a giant multi-tiered glass greenhouse farm which worked well until I tried to add anything anywhere and stuff just randomly broke; I'd fall through floors, panels would disappear, doors stopped working, etc. The engine really doesn't deal well with complex bases at this point.
That's too bad :( It's strange though, the trading hubs, space stations, Atlas bases are all big and complex with lots of decorations and stuff.
And this is my tiny green house base
H01uzuw.jpg
I guess I could get rid of the vehicles, I rarely use them anyway, and go on with my plan, but it's still so disappointing to know you can't build stuff as you can't to.
To do farming well you're pretty much forced to do a flat mass of cubic rooms with only farming boxes, maybe a trading terminal and a landing pad too but no windows, no stairs, no decorations, nothing that isn't absolutely neccessary. And then base building ain't as fun anymore.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It's now £9.99 on PSN. Always on sale before an update :D

yep, i finally bought it yesterday.

i'm quite enjoying it so far but feel completely overwhelmed. i have no idea what i'm doing or how to make money. i've sold a couple items so far that i found at the very beginning near my wrecked ship. i think i probably shouldn't have sold them. sold a bit of gold i mined. made a bit from uploading animal discoveries.

somme

yep, i finally bought it yesterday.

i'm quite enjoying it so far but feel completely overwhelmed. i have no idea what i'm doing or how to make money. i've sold a couple items so far that i found at the very beginning near my wrecked ship. i think i probably shouldn't have sold them. sold a bit of gold i mined. made a bit from uploading animal discoveries.

Just don't sell the Atlas balls or whatever they were called. (It's been so long since I did the Atlas path!)

Dries

So I have a G-sync monitor, but my game seems to run better with the G-sync setting in TKGRAPHICSSETTING.MXML turned to "false" than it being turned to "true". Seems weird, right? Even when I have a G-sync monitor. But apparently everyone on the internet is advising to turn this option to "false".

What do other people with G-sync monitors do?

Fredrik

So I have a G-sync monitor, but my game seems to run better with the G-sync setting in TKGRAPHICSSETTING.MXML turned to "false" than it being turned to "true". Seems weird, right? Even when I have a G-sync monitor. But apparently everyone on the internet is advising to turn this option to "false".

What do other people with G-sync monitors do?
I don't even know where that mxml file is, I just run everything with v-sync off no matter which game it is.

My farming goes well, I only have 9 blocks left to repair on my 47 slot ship now. I make about 2 million units every sale now :) I've changed my 3 floor green house I posted above now, it's 2 floors high now and I added a bunch of bio-domes instead. Saved a lot of base complexity that way, no plant boxes were needed and no extra glass. I bet this is old news to many of you though.

This is such a nice sale! :D I'll have about two batches like this for each harvest/sale when my latest bio-dome is done.

Dineren

Banned
I recently bought this on PS4 after playing on PC for about 50 hours at launch and I'm trying to decide which difficulty to play. Is survival significantly more difficult than normal? I kind of like the idea of survival, but I'm worried it will eventually become tedious the further in I get.

It's probably less tedious the further you get in because your safety net slowly improves. First 5-10 hours you gotta be pretty strict with your spare resources to keep your shields up. Slowly as you get better shields and bigger storage you begin to rarely run out of resources and can better absorb close calls.

That said, you can probably play loose with that on Survival. On Permadeath even after 150 hours I still usually do do daily resource stocking and a sort of 'check list' each and every time I go out, but I rarely get close calls anymore unless I'm just being careless. Every once and awhile I still land in the middle of some aggressive monsters and realize I don't have any plutonium or get caught too far away from my ship running low on zinc or thamium9 -_- or if I'm not paying attention, accidently land to close to a huge hole in the ground I didn't see -- i've given myself a couple barely-hit-the-jetpack-in-time heart attacks hhhhh

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
This is not a shit post.

Is this game content rich enough at this point to buy on PC? I initially skipped it because all the reviews from players were basically, "There is little to no point, it's a grind fest, etc etc etc"

I am interested in joining in the discovery of new and exciting things, but I just want to make sure there's enough meat to this game now.

Also, is there any place to get it on Steam for less than $60?

Unicorn

This is not a shit post.

Is this game content rich enough at this point to buy on PC? I initially skipped it because all the reviews from players were basically, "There is little to no point, it's a grind fest, etc etc etc"

I am interested in joining in the discovery of new and exciting things, but I just want to make sure there's enough meat to this game now.

Will probably go on sale soon. Usually goes on discount when new content is added. I'd say wait a month and just follow the ARG. Nothing in game is really tied to it yet. At least not in a meaningful way you would see unless you dumped hundreds of hours in...but by then the big update would land.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Will probably go on sale soon. Usually goes on discount when new content is added. I'd say wait a month and just follow the ARG. Nothing in game is really tied to it yet. At least not in a meaningful way you would see unless you dumped hundreds of hours in...but by then the big update would land.

the game has a habit of going on sale around big updates. we shall see if that trend continues

Thanks - I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Is Steam the place to watch for sales on it or do I need to watch sites with keys?

Fredrik

This is not a shit post.

It IS a grind fest, but it's the most fun grind fest I've played ;) Personally I think it's awesome on PC, it's a perfect fit for mouse and keyboard with all the inventory actions, and you can scale the graphics to fit your hardware so the framerate isn't ruining your experience. They've changed a lot since the start so old complaints aren't really vaild today. At this point, if you can't find something to do in this game, which was a common complaint, then you're truly a strange person. I'm at 210 hours played now and I'm still excited whenever I enter a new solar system. Farming has brought in a lot on new gameplay to me too. I love it! :)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I'm at an abandoned factory looking for blueprints but I need a boltcaster to break the door. To craft the boltcaster I need more Plutonium but can't find it. It means I'm having to be careful about how often I land which is kinda disappointing.

Also I really wish I could upgrade my ship. I keep getting killed by hostiles. I only have about 2,000 credits so can't buy much.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It IS a grind fest, but it's the most fun grind fest I've played ;) Personally I think it's awesome on PC, it's a perfect fit for mouse and keyboard with all the inventory actions, and you can scale the graphics to fit your hardware so the framerate isn't ruining your experience. They've changed a lot since the start so old complaints aren't really vaild today. At this point, if you can't find something to do in this game, which was a common complaint, then you're truly a strange person. I'm at 210 hours played now and I'm still excited whenever I enter a new solar system. Farming has brought in a lot on new gameplay to me too. I love it! :)

Thanks!

Are there still a lot of secrets or "undiscovered" goodies that people are finding? Like how there were the giant sand worms and stuff in the original promotional material?

Fredrik

Thanks!

Are there still a lot of secrets or "undiscovered" goodies that people are finding? Like how there were the giant sand worms and stuff in the original promotional material?
Not giant sandworms and stuff like that but everytime you discover a new solar system it's being generated in realtime and saved on the servers for the future. You never know what you might find, and you know nobody else has seen that particular combo of planets and animals before. I'm definitely still going "- oh wow..." when I see new big animals or beautiful planets. I think my home planet I posted pics of is among the prettiest ones I've seen. Unfortunately it has no animals. The only backside. It's really relaxing to discover because of that though, no cranky animals attacking you etc.

Dries

Are there any hidden .ini tweaks or other secrets PC users can apply to improve the streaming of the world? Particulary when visiting new planets and flying around. I would love to eliminate the hitches I get as much as possible...

Minamu

Thanks!

Apart from the mentioned generated planets, this was barely ever a thing at all. Which could explain the backlash somewhat.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Apart from the mentioned generated planets, this was barely ever a thing at all. Which could explain the backlash somewhat.

Huh...That's somewhat disappointing. I wonder if they ever intend to add it? Because that would sell me in a heartbeat.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
how do i deal with creatures that try to attack me? apart from running away from them which is my current strategy.

i've tried melee hitting them and shooting them with my mining laser beam. maybe once i get the boltcaster?

NotSelf

how do i deal with creatures that try to attack me? apart from running away from them which is my current strategy.

i've tried melee hitting them and shooting them with my mining laser beam. maybe once i get the boltcaster?

I just run away from them but you can kill them. I use the mining laser which ever you upgrade first should work.

Minamu

Huh...That's somewhat disappointing. I wonder if they ever intend to add it? Because that would sell me in a heartbeat.
They seem to have no intention of stopping with the updates so far. The game was a lot of fun back in vanilla, if you reign in expectations and enjoy it for what it is and not fr what it could've been, and it's only gotten better since then.

Thought I might try and get to the Galactic Hub before the big update but I put my coordinates into the Pilgrim Star Path and I'm on the opposite side of the galaxy... I'm literally 160k to the centre and the hub is about the same distance out on the other side. One thing I did notice after jumping through some black holes is that it has actually moved me closer to the hub. Seems like black holes move you around the centre like on an "orbit" for lack of a better description, meaning if I get lucky I could potentially land right next to the hub right?

Fredrik

Thought I might try and get to the Galactic Hub before the big update but I put my coordinates into the Pilgrim Star Path and I'm on the opposite side of the galaxy... I'm literally 160k to the centre and the hub is about the same distance out on the other side. One thing I did notice after jumping through some black holes is that it has actually moved me closer to the hub. Seems like black holes move you around the centre like on an "orbit" for lack of a better description, meaning if I get lucky I could potentially land right next to the hub right?
Cool, I'm 167k from the center. It was a long time since I used a black hole though, does your ship still get damaged when you come out on the other side?
I never liked that so I've mostly been traveling with warp drive.

Cool, I'm 167k from the center. It was a long time since I used a black hole though, does your ship still get damaged when you come out on the other side?
I never liked that so I've mostly been traveling with warp drive.

Yes it does. One thing will get damaged when you exit. I was mostly using warp drive as well but something is off with the distance you travel. My warp drive tops out a little over 1600 LY yet whenever I used it the distance to centre would only decrease by around 400 LY. Using a black hole seems to take me further, somewhere around 1400 LY closer to the centre, but seemingly on an orbit like I mentioned earlier. At least that's what putting my coordinates into the Pilgram Star Path seemed to hint at. Will need to do more testing. I'm hoping so as I'll never make it to the Galactic Hub.

Yes it does. One thing will get damaged when you exit. I was mostly using warp drive as well but something is off with the distance you travel. My warp drive tops out a little over 1600 LY yet whenever I used it the distance to centre would only decrease by around 400 LY. Using a black hole seems to take me further, somewhere around 1400 LY closer to the centre, but seemingly on an orbit like I mentioned earlier. At least that's what putting my coordinates into the Pilgram Star Path seemed to hint at. Will need to do more testing. I'm hoping so as I'll never make it to the Galactic Hub.

Yeah, it's like that from the start. The max warp distance is much shorter than the number of ly your warp drive suggests.
Despite that I think it's still better to use regular warp instead of black holes. I've had up to three things break the last couple of times I warped through a black hole, including my warp drive theta, which took forever to fix.

Not giant sandworms and stuff like that but everytime you discover a new solar system it's being generated in realtime and saved on the servers for the future. You never know what you might find, and you know nobody else has seen that particular combo of planets and animals before. I'm definitely still going "- oh wow..." when I see new big animals or beautiful planets. I think my home planet I posted pics of is among the prettiest ones I've seen. Unfortunately it has no animals. The only backside. It's really relaxing to discover because of that though, no cranky animals attacking you etc.

Can I just clarify that only the fact you've discovered it and/or named it are saved. What you discover is set from the start.

drh1691

Neo Member

Once you have a freighter and can buy a couple of ships you can get around this.

I have one all purpose ship I use normally.

My black hole taxi only has the basics. It looks like if you have no upgraded components nothing will get damaged traveling through a black hole. So get a very basic ship(no crafted upgradeS at all). Use this ship to go through black holes then switch back to your everyday ship for everything else.

Fredrik

Can I just clarify that only the fact you've discovered it and/or named it are saved. What you discover is set from the start.
Ah, I always thought everything was generated on the fly whenever someone first visit a solar system. The procedural generation thing that happens when you visit a solar system or planet is basically putting in a premade data seed into the equation that tells the program how the planets and animals should look and behave? And that seed is created when the servers were started? Really cool tech anyhow!

Fredrik

Once you have a freighter and can buy a couple of ships you can get around this.

I have one all purpose ship I use normally.

My black hole taxi only has the basics. It looks like if you have no upgraded components nothing will get damaged traveling through a black hole. So get a very basic ship(no crafted upgradeS at all). Use this ship to go through black holes then switch back to your everyday ship for everything else.
That's really clever!
How do you get to own more ships btw? Can you just buy a ship or pick up a crashed ship and send the old one to the freighter?

That's really clever!
How do you get to own more ships btw? Can you just buy a ship or pick up a crashed ship and send the old one to the freighter?
Can't send a ship anywhere. You can either buy one outright while it's visiting your freighter, or do a trade-in with your current ship. I usually keep a cheap C class Explorer on hand too for Crashed Ships. If I'm I find one in my main Hauler, I'll land, drop a Waypoint Beacon, and come back for it in my throwaway. (Just make sure not to 'take ownership' of it once to salvage upgrades because if you take ownership of it and then take back ownership of your main ship, the Crashed Ship will despawn. It'll only stay there (when you leave) if you've never 'owned' it before.)

Fredrik

Can't send a ship anywhere. You can either buy one outright while it's visiting your freighter, or do a trade-in with your current ship. I usually keep a cheap C class Explorer on hand too for Crashed Ships. If I'm I find one in my main Hauler, I'll land, drop a Waypoint Beacon, and come back for it in my throwaway. (Just make sure not to 'take ownership' of it once to salvage upgrades because if you take ownership of it and then take back ownership of your main ship, the Crashed Ship will despawn. It'll only stay there (when you leave) if you've never 'owned' it before.)
Great tip! Wish I would've known about this before I threw away my cool 40 slot ship for the broken 47 slot monster I'm still trying to get repaired 40 hours later.
4 slots left to repair now, 3.9 million to repair one slot. It only take me about half an hour to make that much money now though so it's very close to being fixed now. But I'm a bad farmer, I don't stick around for longer times, there is always some new places to explore that's pulling me away from my farming duties :p

Minamu

Great tip! Wish I would've known about this before I threw away my cool 40 slot ship for the broken 47 slot monster I'm still trying to get repaired 40 hours later.
4 slots left to repair now, 3.9 million to repair one slot. It only take me about half an hour to make that much money now though so it's very close to being fixed now. But I'm a bad farmer, I don't stick around for longer times, there is always some new places to explore that's pulling me away from my farming duties :p
And then you find a ship with 48 slots :lol

Fredrik

And then you find a ship with 48 slots :lol
*cries*
I think I'll keep my 47 slot forever :p

Side note: I just found a green lush planet, plenty of water, lots of plants and trees, mild weather, pretty much perfect. But no animals... What's up with that? My home planet is the same, super pretty but zero animals. Are the earth-like green lush water planets with animals super rare or what? I don't think I've ever seen one.

NotSelf

*cries*
I think I'll keep my 47 slot forever :p

Side note: I just found a green lush planet, plenty of water, lots of plants and trees, mild weather, pretty much perfect. But no animals... What's up with that? My home planet is the same, super pretty but zero animals. Are the earth-like green lush water planets with animals super rare or what? I don't think I've ever seen one.

Funny I always find lush planets with creatures the opposite is rare for me. I actually prefer a lush planet with no animals the constant screeching sound and attacking can be a bit annoying but more then that is the frame rate dropping when you have a cluster of creatures spawning all in the same place.

PS4 by the way i'm sure PC is a much better performance.

Speaking of lush planets, I really hate it that EVERY lush green planet is an extreme sentinel planet when playing on survival.
Really hope that they dial that back a bit in the update.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Speaking of lush planets, I really hate it that EVERY lush green planet is an extreme sentinel planet when playing on survival.
Really hope that they dial that back a bit in the update.

Yes, I agree. I think there should be a chance, a very slim chance, of finding a paradise planet that hasn't got aggressive sentinels in Survival mode. It doesn't matter if I personally never find one, just knowing they're out there is enough to keep me searching, and stop me from ignoring paradise planets altogether. It was a mistake on Hello Game's part, just as floating rocks and other symetrical monstosities litter whole planets and ruin the aesthetics. We only need one or two on a planet and much less frequest. They should have been things that inspired posts on reddit, not things that make me about turn and go somewhere else.

Fredrik

Funny I always find lush planets with creatures the opposite is rare for me. I actually prefer a lush planet with no animals the constant screeching sound and attacking can be a bit annoying but more then that is the frame rate dropping when you have a cluster of creatures spawning all in the same place.

PS4 by the way i'm sure PC is a much better performance.
Framerate is fine on PC but I get what you're saying, having those aggressive tiny crabs chirping about, which infest so many planets, can really make an otherwise great planet completely awful.

But there are planets with only calm animals, I'd love to have my home base on a green lush planet with those animals.

Anyhow, since those planets are rare you'll keep on exploring more so in the end I guess it might be a good thing. The first thing I do when I enter a new solar system is to scan and directly check out the planet base locations.

Fredrik

I forgot how maddening it can be to find the last species on a planet. Did they add a way to find them more easily?
Check the water, sky and caves, if that doesn't work I usually just move on. I used to spend several hours trying to find the last species on some planets at the beginning, and still never found them. I honestly think the system can be broken sometimes, some animals simply aren't there or they're deep inside the geometry of the planet or something like that. Just move on whenever you're getting frustrated, the zoology milestone will come anyway if you just keep on scanning what you see, the easier planets can have all animals at your first landing spot.

Top Bottom