• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OTXXX| Fondle it

Status
Not open for further replies.

patapuf

Overwatch is great, but it took a lot from it's contemporaries. Splatoon doesn't reinvent the wheel either but it's spin on territory control, movement and even control is arguably more fresh (i'm sorry) than what overwatch did.

You could argue for PUBG too imo, but those concepts aren't brand new either.

Overall, we have a really nice variety with MP shooters right now. Tone and mechanics wise there's a lot of good games in the genre.

Harpuia

Remember when giantbomb tried to play Overwatch together as a crew, completely BEEFED it in like 3 games straight and proceeded to never do that again.

oti

Banned
Because nothing Wacky happens when you are bad at overwatch.

You just...lose

PUBG has a near infinite number of ways for them to fuck up

True. Watching bad PUBG is also entertaining. Bad Overwatch has zero entertainment value.

Just like Dota.

Harpuia

Because nothing Wacky happens when you are bad at overwatch.

You just...lose

PUBG has a near infinite number of ways for them to fuck up

To PUBG's credit, the game is designed in such a way that games are quick and snappy. In Overwatch it's the whole teams fault for not being at 100%. PUBG is also...simpler? That's debatable though.

Zocano

With the wealth of creative shooters available today, I have no idea why anyone would gravitate towards a left-trigger, right-trigger type of game.

Creative =/= Better?

I see that a lot and I get that people want the more interesting thing to be pushed rather than the old stuff.

But sometimes I just want a McChicken from mcdonald's.

Joeku

To PUBG's credit, the game is designed in such a way that games are quick and snappy. In Overwatch it's the whole teams fault for not being at 100%. PUBG is also...simpler? That's debatable though.

PUBG's cleverness (which comes from PlayerUnknown's old mods) is entirely in scenario design. Short-form gearing up and escalation of conflict over half an hour. It's doing to open-world shooters what Dota did to RPGS (inside of a strategy game, weirdly).

Ashby

Look who I found

DFXa-77VYAQbNra.jpg

Harpuia

PUBG's cleverness (which comes from PlayerUnknown's old mods) is entirely in scenario design. Short-form gearing up and escalation of conflict over half an hour. It's doing to open-world shooters what Dota did to RPGS (inside of a strategy game, weirdly).

PUBG is Dota with guns.

Oh shit.

kiguel182

An old point and shoot game is good when you want a more relaxed experience. There's room for everything.

Splatoon 2 is great. Who cares if is more of the first game? The first game was on a flop of a console. This is like a rebirth for the series.

Edit: Apparently I'm 4 missions away from finishing Horizon. Kinda feeling done with it and wanting to move on to Zelda. I'm enjoying the game and fighting the beasts is fun but everything that's not fighting a monster is derivative as hell. They have a cool universe but the game itself is just okay.

Splatoon sold like five million copies, so I have no idea why Alex and others keep saying no one played the first game. Whatever.

Creative =/= Better?

I see that a lot and I get that people want the more interesting thing to be pushed rather than the old stuff.

But sometimes I just want a McChicken from mcdonald's.

There's a lot of value in masterful execution of a familiar concept, and, to be honest, that does seem significantly undervalued by game critics. But that's not the McChicken. The McChicken is comfort food that's always almost exactly the same, and it's only noteworthy if they really fuck it up. Kind of like Call of Duty.

While everyone is saying what they hate and what GB should do instead...

Please play any of the following games as a series :

WWE 20XX
Trackmania
Fire Pro
LEGO Worlds
Breath Of The Wild
Crash Bandicoot

Zocano

Not to tell you how to live your life, but I'm gonna tell you how to live your life: not like that.

I'm pretty bad about eating small meals across the day but I don't do the 4 mcchicken snack down often at all. Maybe 3-4 times a year.

It's the traversal options that separates Zelda

I climb a mountain for 20 minutes just to get to the top for another korok seed.

Awesome.

Oh sweet a really cool dragon quest what do I get?! A spirit orb and a weapon that'll break in 20 hits.

Cool.

There's like 15 pieces of super unique gear that you get from actually exploring (all armor) that doesn't *reeaallyyy* change up how you play at all. All the unique and interesting things that you can do in the game are available in the first few hours. That's fine when it's not a massive open world 60+ hour game. But it is and after 15-20 hours, I was just going through the motions.

There's something to be said for having all the options up front but when it's stretched out so much, it just gets rote by the end. I get "making your own fun", but that's not really what I want out of a lot of my games and not with Zelda when it had bespoke and unique experiences before. The temples (including the castle) were all super cool areas to explore but the temples were like a total of 2 hours long all together.

Yeah I agree with all of that. I probably hit my point of diminishing returns a little bit later than you did, maybe 30-40 hours in, and I still enjoyed it afterwards, but once you realize that at the end of every journey is either a korok seed or a spirit orb, the joy kind of wears off a bit. The thing that keeps Zelda from being just another open world game is really the world design and traversal. Any given point in BOTW you can look at the skyline and make out where you are and see cool things off in the distance. I look at the skyline in Horizon and it's just a busy mess. And traversal sucks in it.

If BOTW had better loot and reward distribution I think it would fix a lot of the issues. That and more areas like Hyrule Castle dotted throughout the game.

Zocano

Yah, BotW's macro-level world design is very very good. The sightlines are exceptional from almost every point on the map and gives you good sense of direction. But the moment to moment gameplay is just wasted when the mystique of the world is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom