• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare |OT| My battle cry brings all the boys to the yard

dh1y2.png

Fw91w.png
tKxAP.png

GENERAL
Developer: Torn Banner Studios
Publisher: Torn Banner Studios
Rating: M
Platform: PC/Steam
Release Date: October 16, 2012

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI Raedon 3870 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher, 512MB VRAM
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 3-7 GB HD space
Other: Broadband Internet connection

PRICE
$24.99 Single Copy
$74.99 4-Pack ($18.75 each)

GAF SERVER HOSTED BY VERTOPCI

72.5.195.123:7777

Maplist
AOCTD-HillsidePyre_P.udk
AOCTD-Ruins_P.udk
AOCLTS-ThroneRoom_P.udk
AOCTD-Darkforest_Valley_p
AOCTD-Battlegrounds_p
AOCTD-StoneshillVillage_P.udk
AOCLTS-ArgonsWall_p
AOCTD-Hillside_P.udk
AOCFFA-Arena3_p.udk

UdD3L.png

NeoGAF Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Official Steam Group - Join this group to meet and play with other NeoGAF members. The group is currently invite only, so leave a post in this thread or ask another member for an invite.

FCWAM.png

WHAT IS CHIVALRY: MEDIEVAL WARFARE?
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a successfully funded Kickstarter project by Torn Banner Studios, created by Steve Piggott, the former lead of Team Chivalry. Team Chivalry is the team responsible for Age of Chivalry, a Half Life 2, Source Engine Mod. The games are similar but Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a new standalone product, fleshed out and completely built from the ground up for modern PCs. This is more of a successor than a remake.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is a multi-player centric, first person melee combat game. The game controls like an FPS but relies heavily on player skill with a simplistic and deep combat system that is easy to learn and difficult to master. Chivalry is set in a fictional world during medieval times with dark and gritty environments and a wide assortment of lethal medieval weaponry. Siege based gameplay is the focus of Chivalry while combat is visceral and brutal with sprays of blood, severed limbs, decapitations, death screams, and blood curdling cries of battle.

FEATURES
  • Deep melee combat system provides players with a huge range of responsive combat options
  • Adjust your attacks and blocks in real time with the mouse for precise and full control of the action
  • Wield an arsenal of up to 60 brutal weapons ranging from broad swords and battle axes to longbows and javelins
  • Dynamic objective system brings team tactics and strategy to the forefront as players batter down gates, raid villages and assassinate enemy royalty to achieve victory
  • Use a variety of siege weapons ranging from catapults, boiling oil, ballista, battering rams and more
  • Vast, lush environments that transport the player to a gritty and immersive medieval world
  • Offline play options that allow players to gain familiarity with the controls and gameplay before being thrust into the action
  • Experience the brutal combat in either first person or third person viewpoints
  • Unique projectile camera that follows every arrow and bolt at your command
  • Interactive tutorial that teaches you about each class and the basic and advanced concepts of combat
  • Duel Mode
  • Steam Achievements
  • Valve Anti-Cheat enabled
  • Dedicated servers
  • Controller enabled

LIera.png

Mod Support
We come from a modding background and would love to be able to support modding of Chivalry. This will not be fully available on launch but we are hoping to be able to launch an SDK to allow users to create their own maps, modes and models.

Several mods, custom maps, models, and more are already being worked on by the community.

90p0W.png

FACTIONS
y4Lc0.png
mC719.png

CLASSES

5RiDA.png
6RkwE.png
BrveJ.png
GKF0g.png

• Archer: The Archer uses ranged weapons to subdue enemies at medium and long distances. They are lightly armored and therefore vulnerable in melee encounters.
  • Man-at-Arms: The Man-at-arms is the lightest armored melee class but extremely mobile and capable in melee combat. They rely on speed and evasion to avoid damage and create opportunities for attack.
  • Knight: Knights are one of the most powerful melee classes on the battlefield. Their ability to absorb and deal damage in close encounters is nearly unmatched. Knights lack agility and their weapons are generally slower than other classes.
  • Vanguard: Vanguards are offensive powerhouses that specialize in wielding 2-handed weapons. Their weapons have long reach and deal large amounts of damage.

Special Abilities
  • Rogue: Archers receive +50% additional backstab damage with daggers.
  • Dodge: Man-at-Arms can perform quick dodges in multiple directions to avoid enemy attacks.
  • Tank: Knights can absorb additional damage and takes less stamina to block incoming blows.
  • Charge: Vanguards can activate an attack while sprinting that will unleash a devastating vertical lunging attack.

mjV6F.png

COMBAT
There are three primary attacks: slash, overhand, and stab. By default, you execute your primary attack with the left mouse button and use the mouse wheel up and mouse wheel down to execute the overhand and stab attacks. The right mouse button is reserved for a secondary action which is usually block if you are wielding a shield, parry if you are using a two-handed weapon, or aim if you are using a ranged weapon.

Advanced Tactics
  • Feint: Lure enemies into creating an opening by cancelling and feigning attacks.
  • Parry: Parry and deflect your opponent's attacks. You must parry in the direction of the attack.
  • Block: Knights and Man-at-Arms can block and absorb their opponent's attacks with their shields.
  • Shield Bash: Bash your opponent with your shield, stunning them for a brief period of time.
  • Shield Cover: Archers can plant large shields into the ground to create cover.
  • Kick: Kick down an opponent's shield and leave them vulnerable to an attack.
  • Dodge: The Man-at-Arms class can dodge quickly in multiple directions to sidestep an opponent's attacks.
  • Crouch: You can duck behind cover to avoid ranged volleys or dodge horizontal overhead attacks. Crouching also increases ranged accuracy.
  • Sprint: Sprinting allows you to quickly cover large distances by increasing your movement speed. Vanguards can activate a special lunging attack while sprinting.

Weapons
Over 60 authentic medieval weapons including swords, axes, bows, polearms, hammers, maces, and siege weapons. There is a degree of strategy in choosing which weapon to use as each weapon has its own individual ratings. Melee weapons are rated on damage, speed, and range. Ranged weapons are rated on damage, rate, and range. Lastly, shields are rated based on size, stamina cost, and recover time.

• 1H Swords: Long Sword (1H/2H), Broadsword, Norse Sword, Falchion, Saber
  • 2H Swords: Long Sword (1H/2H), Zweihänder, Claymore, Greatsword, Messer, Sword of War
  • Daggers: Broad Dagger, Thrusting Dagger, Shortsword, Hunting Knife
  • Blunt: Cudgel, Warhammer, Morning Star, Flanged Mace, Maul, Holy Water Sprinkler, Grand Mace, Fisticuffs
  • Axes: Dane Axe, Bearded Axe, Double Axe, War Axe
  • Polearms: Halberd, Pole Axe, Fork, Brandistock, Billhook, Bardiche, Thrusting Spear
  • Ranged: Shortbow, Longbow, Warbow, Light Crossbow, Crossbow, Heavy Crossbow
  • Ammo: Crossbow Bolt, Fire Arrow, Broadhead Arrow, Bodkin Arrow
  • Throwing Weapons: Shortspear, Javelin, Heavy Javelin, Hatchet, Knife
  • Special Items: Torch, Oil Pot, Smoke Pot
  • Shields: Pavise Shield, Kite Shield, Heater Shield, Buckler Shield, Tower Shield
  • Siege Weapons: Catapult, Burning Oil, Ballista, Battering Ram

iFJMohYlQncL9.gif

Animated GIF courtesy of Messofanego

MULTIPLAYER

Game Modes
  • Free for All: A standard free-for-all deathmatch with respawns.
  • Team Deathmatch: Team based deathmatch with respawns.
  • Last Team Standing: Team elimination gameplay without respawns in which teams face each other until there is no one left standing on the opposing team.
  • King of the Hill: Teams fight to capture and hold a single objective.
  • Capture the Flag: Capture the opponents flag, bring it back to your base, and burn it.
  • Team Objectives: Team based gameplay with dynamic objectives and a heavy emphasis on sieges. Burn down villages, slaughter nobles, assassinate kings, protect castles, light signal fires, etc.
  • Duel Mode: For intense 1v1 combat across 10 unique arena maps.

Maps/Objectives
dUD6F.png

Stoneshill

Mason
  • Slaughter the peasants and burn the village.
  • Breach the keep with the battering ram.
  • Kill the king.

Agatha
  • Protect the village and the peasants.
  • Defend the keep.
  • Protect the king.

onbUK.png

Arena

Kill all enemies on the opposing team. First team to win 7 rounds is victorious.

kVC50.png

Battlegrounds

Mason
  • Defend the farm, fields, windmill and fair.
  • Stop the petard from reaching the gates.

Agatha
  • Burn down the farm, fields, windmill and the fair.
  • Move the petard to gates and blow it open.

UdDRk.png

Hillside

Mason
  • Prevent a signal fire.
  • Defend the trebuchets.
  • Stop the Agathians from firing at the ships.

Agatha
  • Light a signal fire.
  • Tear down the trebuchets.
  • Shoot down the ships.

PFxzo.png

Ruins

Take the flag and burn it!

v3uA3.png

Dark Forest

Mason
  • Push the corpse wagon into the pass.
  • Open the flood gates.
  • Kill the nobles.

Agatha
  • Stop the wagon from reaching the pass
  • Defend the flood gates.
  • Keep the nobles alive.

More Maps...
Citadel
Frigid
Argon's Wall

CO9AM.png

SCREENSHOTS
Sethos said:

Moaradin said:

QLK6j.png

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Official Launch Trailer
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Developers Q & A
Chivalry: Combat Tutorial #1 - Basics
Chivalry: Combat Tutorial #2 - Advanced Combat
Total Biscuit - Deadliest War: Chivalry VS War of the Roses
Chivalry wins!
Giant Bomb - Quick Look
VintageBeef - First Look - Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Multiplayer Gameplay
Chivalry: Criken's Cowardly Crusade - Must watch!
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Training / Multiplayer Gameplay

UGy0J.png

REVIEWS

Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Although the tone is more Monty Python than Geoffrey of Monmouth, with the training voiced by a merry gang of light-hearted dialects, the animations and gurgling chokes of the dying are suitably grim. Heads have a tendency to roll, with a wonderfully macabre touch whereby the first-person view remains within the severed neck-cork. Often have I seen my own body falling to its knees, the hands instinctively attempting to stem the flow of life’s own liquor. The thrusts, parries, chops and feints that lead to death or victory are the qualities by which Chivalry shall live or die, and, happily, Torn Banner have crafted a hugely convincing first-person melee combat system.

AusGamers: 9.0/10
It’s fresh and fun, and like the very best games is easy to get into yet incredibly hard to master. I’ve honestly not had this much competitive online joy since Battlefield 3, and to think a $25 indie title can provide a level of enjoyment up there with a $100 million game like Battlefield is testimony to the skill of the developer.

EGMNOW (EGM Digital): 9.0/10
This is the breath of fresh air I’ve been waiting for. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare is friggin’ awesome. I love it and am horrified that I love it so much.

Game Trailers: 8.6/10
The yet untapped shield-and-wield genre may still lack a face, but Chivalry: Medieval Warfare could very well be the champion to carry the battle standard. Straightforward in approach yet exceedingly effective in delivery, it elevates the notion of melee combat past a last ditch combat maneuver and into a realm of medieval, multiplayer bliss.

Forbes: 8/10
The bloody but still light-hearted multiplayer game is first and foremost a whole lot of fun – perhaps the most important thing any video game can hope to be. There’s not as much depth to the mechanics as the recently released War of the Roses, but where it lacks in depth it makes up in both accessibility and entertainment value.

ZTGD: 8.7/10
I really enjoyed my time with Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. It was a difficult game to begin with, but after some practice and finding a good team to play with, I couldn’t help but have a good time. Even when I was dying a good amount, getting those dismemberment kills was satisfying. For only 25 bucks, you get a good amount of game. If you’re looking for some good, difficult fun, you should really check this game out.

GAF impressions can be found here:
Any GAF interest in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Chivalry Medieval Warfare or War of the Roses?

TIPS AND PERFORMANCE

General
  • Mouse sensitivity is low by default (around 30). Crank it up to about 50-100.
  • Holding SHIFT to sprint will cramp your hand quickly due to the amount of running around the larger maps in the objective based games. Go to the key configuration and enable the sprint toggle.
  • Try rebinding the stab and overhand attacks. This may improve the feel of the combat and a single key stroke is much more reliable and efficient than frantically scrolling the mouse wheel.

No Servers?
If you can't find any servers, you need to download the master server file. It's an issue on Valve's end and Torn Banner is working with them to resolve the issue. You can view the support topic and download the file here:

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2075

First Person/Third Person View
  • L toggles between first person and third person view.
  • P cycles between first person, third person left, third person right, and overhead view.

Emotes
  • X activates a battle cry which can be executed while moving.
  • C activates a stationary battle cry. While executing, you will be unable to move for the duration of the animation.
  • Z brings up a tiered menu of various tactical and personal messages. The gestures include a selection of voice clips for things like team messages and taunts.

Unlock 60 FPS Cap
  • Navigate to \Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config
  • Open UDKEngine.ini in Notepad
  • Change bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE to bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

Glad this game has an OT finally! Awesome job.

Let the Chivalry vs War of the Roses vs Mount and Blade arguments commence...

ShaneB

Great OT for a great game that seems like a completely hidden gem, glad I got into the beta and tried it out. Glad I bought it, so much fun as well. Kinda sad I don't have a quote in the OP, I'm sure I've said good things about this! lol

Great OT for a great game that seems like a completely hidden gem, glad I got into the beta and tried it out. Glad I bought it, so much fun as well. Kinda sad I don't have a quote in the OP, I'm sure I've said good things about this! lol

There were so many people commenting on how fun and awesome the game is that I did have a lot more quotes, including one of yours, but they were taking up a lot of space and I had to get rid of a bunch. To be fair, I'll probably be getting rid of most of them once there are more published reviews. Everyone can just check the various GAF threads for our feedback, after all.

Well I think my quote does an excellent job of dissecting and analyzing the game's mechanics and systems. The others are really unnecessary.

It is controller enabled I guess, but you can't customise buttons. Hell it's worse than that, it doesn't even mention the gamepad controls anywhere. Also I couldn't find a way to change the h/v sensitivity for the analogue stick, and picking sides/classes/loadouts are mouse only. So it's not exactly home theatre / comfy couch friendly yet.

Having said that I've been playing this for hours tonight, game's pretty amazing and I'm sure it will get even better.

It's definetely got the best medieval battlefield sound effects I've ever heard. So much shouting, gurgling, whimpering and screaming. It's pretty horrific at times.

Forkball

I'm having a blast with this game. I don't think the sensitivity needs cranking up though, considering timing is super important so I don't want to be mashing buttons and swinging wildly considering one bad move could spell the end for me. Anyone else having trouble with low FPS though? In some maps I can only push 30. I think the game may not be that well-optomized, hopefully some fixes come in the future.

Also best weapon = war hammer.

I'm having a blast with this game. I don't think the sensitivity needs cranking up though, considering timing is super important so I don't want to be mashing buttons and swinging wildly considering one bad move could spell the end for me.
My main problem with the default sensitivity is you can't turn around fast enough. Someone playing with a mouse can pretty much instantly face any direction, while a gamepad would probably take the best part of a second to spin 360 degrees. Bastards love blind-siding you in this game. I'd love a 180 degree spin button for example, there's definetely spare buttons.

ShaneB

There were so many people commenting on how fun and awesome the game is that I did have a lot more quotes, including one of yours, but they were taking up a lot of space and I had to get rid of a bunch. To be fair, I'll probably be getting rid of most of them once there are more published reviews. Everyone can just check the various GAF threads for our feedback, after all.

I know I know :p I'm just being silly, it's no worries at all man, appreciate the OT regardless! :)

I'm looking at the TH video and GB quick-look, and it looks really fun, but I don't know if I can bring down my "don't buy MP-only games" barrier down. I think I'll be cautious and wait for a sale... hopefully there will still be an active community when I do get it.

ShaneB

Good time tonight, slowly picking up what the game wants from me. Good games ShaneB! Business started picking up with the maul!

Good games to you as well bud, was good times! Keep practicing!

Balance is still my major concern moving forward, want each of the classes to feel important.

Also, I generally switch to third person view, that definitely helps me a lot with spacing and knowing my surroundings and range a lot better.

I think I would like the combat more if they removed the feint and sped up the swings to AoC levels.

Regardless, it's still fun and I find the over-head third person camera a lot better than the first person camera.

Also, I generally switch to third person view, that definitely helps me a lot with spacing and knowing my surroundings and range a lot better.

I think I may give that a shot. I know the biggest thing Im struggling with is the range of my attacks. There are times Im just baffled that I didnt land a hit, blocked or unblocked. I also have no idea how people are having success with the bows. Its actually pretty impressive how bad I am at the bows (which while I know it doesn't directly translate, Im pretty solid at FPS - Im trying to lead, compensate for the drop, put it on the money, etc., EVERYTHING).

That said, Im having a blast. The rush of winning a 1 vs. 2, making the right blocks and playing it correctly is an amazing feeling. Hell, Ive had some long 1 on 1's that Ive won and loss, but the battles were great. Definitely look forward to some GAF filled games here soon!

Spat_triate

I just played for 6 hours straight. I haven't done that sort of thing since my teenage years. I can't believe this is a kickstarter game.

Edit: We need to get a GAF group going, I can only imagine how much better this is with an actual team.

I'm going to marathon this at some point on Saturday. I didn't get much sleep the night before and just didn't have much energy after work. Didn't feel like playing much of anything.

Reposting this for the new thread:

Tibberius said:
LAST UPDATED Monday, October 15th.

This is what we are working on:

1. Making Voice chat not suck
2. Keybind Issues/Tweaks
3. Unlock/rank System reliability and indication
4. Team Balancer improvements
5. More console commands and support for server admins
6. Class and Weapon screen updates
7. Chat colours/Font issues
8. Catapult and Ballista replication issues and player shrinkage
9. Slider for allowing corpses to last longer
10. Blood decals painted to the ground
11. Gore Option
12. Balance tweaks
13. FIXING OTHER BUGS YOU HAVE REPORTED!
14. Adding Steam Achievements
15. Working on future content updates...

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've played a few hours so far, and am merely horrible now instead of atrocious. =) Mostly going vanguard as I find it an easy class to learn with (knights aren't bad either). I find I mostly need to pick my battles, and hightail it out when it looks like I may get swarmed. Really need to be mindful of accidentally hitting teammates though.

Beepos

Buy this game people. Storming a frantic archer as he loads his bow, with you charging forward with a two handed axe will never get old. The look on his face as you cleave his head right off his shoulders is too good for words.

Forkball

So are kills with a particular weapon the indicator of unlocking new weapons in that class?

You unlock weapons by getting kills with same "type" of weapon. For example, on the knight the "hammer" type starts with a war hammer, and then you unlock the maul next. To get the third hammer weapon, you just need to rack up 75 more kills with either the war hammer or the maul. You can mix and match, so you can get say 30 kills with the maul and 45 with the war hammer to get the next one.

How is the online? Smooth?

It can be quite laggy if you don't have a good ping, a lot of people are complaining about it. The game isn't very well optimized, so expect sub-60 fps in certain maps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, as long as you have a decent ping I guess.

Blocking on overheads and side swings at point blank are wonky though.
I think you have to turn your camera farther to perform those blocks at close range. Which is why jumping overheads are so effective.

It seems like 64 player server support is in but I didn't find many servers running them last night. I don't think it's completely optimized yet but I would like to give it a shot.

1. How does it control with a controller?

2. Any word on single player expansions/content?

1. Really well from what I have heard but you can't seem to remap the buttons. I haven't tried it myself.

2. I wouldn't count on much single player content being added. This is a really small development team, something around 6 people, with a majority of them working together virtually. For a team of their size, it's preferable that they spend their resources on polishing and balancing the current content and developing more content for the core game (multiplayer).

On the bright side, Torn Banner is very supportive of modding, so the community could possibly step up and implement the single player content you are looking for.

Clott

I just played for 6 hours straight. I haven't done that sort of thing since my teenage years. I can't believe this is a kickstarter game.

Edit: We need to get a GAF group going, I can only imagine how much better this is with an actual team.

This is what I said to my cousin when I played this morning, it's such a fresh gaming experience, I truly love gaming again. I have been playing so many shooters last few years, this is like learning to love games again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't really been heavy into online deathmatch stuff since the old Counter-Strike days, but I love me some medieval combat, so I think I will give this a try.

Nabs

Playing with a group is a lot of fun. Get together in Mumble or a similar program and come up with shit. There was one game where we would hide and use our archer as bait. It failed, but it was too funny. I just made a room in that server if anyone wants to use it.

You guys can use the GAF Chivalry group as a buddy list. Just click on the groups tab in the Steam friends list. You can see when people are playing and join in on 'em.

Really nice OP, it does the game justice.

Just some random thoughts about it to add to impressions:

If you get your head chopped off, the camera stays inside and you get to roll down the hill ala head cam, fun :).

Once you get good enough you can survive the zerg fests a tad better, but I do feel those are the worst part of the game. I wouldn't want them removed though, chaos is a good thing. Nothing like surviving a massive battle while gaining ground across the battlefield map as your vision blurs from damage and you come out victorious.

That said I will be a duel mode junkie as soon as that launches. Played a server where the admin is usually there banning random attackers in FFA mode, meaning it is a duel server with 32 people actually cooperating, which was amazing.

Really really love this game.

LuchaShaq

Banned
2. I wouldn't count on much single player content being added. This is a really small development team, something around 6 people, with a majority of them working together virtually. For a team of their size, it's preferable that they spend their resources on polishing and balancing the current content and developing more content for the core game (multiplayer).

On the bright side, Torn Banner is very supportive of modding, so the community could possibly step up and implement the single player content you are looking for.

Bummer I hated multiplayer in mount and blade but single player might me my most played PC game in the last 5 years.

Top Bottom