• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

MaDKaT

Also coincides with the HTC stock freeze...

Luckey is a turd and I'd rather he stay out of the industry, but I'd definitely have the popcorn out reading the reactions this would evoke on GAF.

Could the stock freeze be about Googles possible acquisition of HTC unrelated to Vive?

The Google acquisition is likely the phone division of the company. HTC will retain Vive and have it be the new focus going forward. Possibly headed by Luckey?

Yuck, do not like the idea of Palmer Luckey making money off a product I enjoy at all. Honestly don't even want him involved the VR industry period. He should just stick to posting on r/the_donald.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Palmer Luckey is just one of the several guests invited for the panels. He will be talking with GOROman
They had their birthday (and Oculus Rift DK1) celebration today i believe
2evcIsc.jpg
7MG5h1u.jpg

Lakuza

A few more soundboxing challenges:
Also re-quoting these I posted the other day since a new page started just after I posted them:
A new round of soundboxing challenges, made a ton yesterday:

Beatmaps for Anime:
Beatmaps for Final Fantasy:

-

Not sure what to make of it yet, the first half looked more interesting than the 2nd half of the trailer for me. It looks like another stationary wave shooter during the 2nd half which kills a lot of interest for me.

Lakuza

Those Soundboxing challanges look way to elaborate for me :D
My brain can't deal with fast mixups/cross arms ones.

Yeah I was definately like that too during my first week. My early challenges show this progress too where the beatmaps are simple, I'm able to go back to those early ones I made and 100% them with ease. I'm normally playing it for about 2 hours everyday after I get back from work so its a great workout too. :)

I still have some easy ones in there like Zanarkand, soldier ants(HxH) and the slow chocobo theme from ffxv. I'll work on some more slower ones too as I tend to pick really quick songs lately without even thinking.

I do think people pull off some serious dance moves sometimes, I can't explain it otherwise :D

Yeah I always find it hard not to laugh when people manage to incorporate the official dance into the challenges, its so fun :)
I got the gangnam dance and bachkoi dances into mine (although bachkoi hasn't had anywhere near as many plays as gangnam :p )

Does Serious Sam: The Last Hope have an option to disable blood/gore? Would like to pick it up, but I can't deal with gore, especially in VR. :/

Was running like crazy through both Serious Sam VR games, no prob. One of the fastest VR experiences I've had, even with dev cheat turbo mode, not a hint of motionsickness.

Doom3 BFG in VR makes me feel queasy after a while, I chalk that up to a non consistant performance, it's not hitting 90fps consistantly and I feel that after a while (maybe it's the 980ti or the CPU, I have no idea).
This is one of the few games where playing it seated feels a bit better to me because of that or where teleportation is the way to go as it cicumvents these problems while moving (I'll be using more teleport in this game from here on out)

I'm still going to play it to the end, halfway through anyways but it's not as good an experience as it could be with these performance issues.

Darkdeus

What about the graphical options in Project Cars 2. I felt when I played 1 the options were turned down compared to Non-VR and stuff that looked great on my monitor kinda looked lackluster in VR.

I was very disappointed as well in VR for Project Cars 1. It was unplayable to me due to the aliasing, shimmering, and shadow pop up, and poor performance. They added MSAA to Project Cars 2 which helped a ton with the aliasing issues that the first game had in VR. They also greatly improved the performance. The boost in performance allows to up the pixel density too which really helps.

Overall it's a huge step up from the first game in the graphics and physics department. Plays great with gamepads now too.

ArtHands

I have high hope for Project Cars 2 in VR because there isnt any other major VR racing this year, so I am rather glad it turns out well

Hi guys, I'm making some 360° intro vids for my Makerspace, and I want to include some 360° footage of VR games. Something like this, but perhaps from a higher budget commercial game like Robo Recall, Superhot VR etc.

I know it's typically very difficult to render these videos due to the way games are typically rendered (not in every direction at once), but I found this Unity script called 360 Panorama Capture that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm not a dev and so can't really make use of it :(

Don't particularly want to just download existing YouTube due to compression and any possible licensing hiccups, so would anyone know where I could find 360 footage that I could use for my video? Have tried reaching out to some devs with no real results. Even just some screenshots would be great! i.e.
8400154e-983a-4958-9a61-76c17717b4e8_scaled.jpg

ArtHands

Hi guys, I'm making some 360° intro vids for my Makerspace, and I want to include some 360° footage of VR games. Something like this, but perhaps from a higher budget commercial game like Robo Recall, Superhot VR etc.

I know it's typically very difficult to render these videos due to the way computers render games (not in every direction at once), but I found this Unity script called 360 Panorama Capture that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm not a dev :(

Does anyone know where I could find 360 footage that I could use for my video? Have tried reaching out to some devs with no real results. Even just some screenshots would be great!

8400154e-983a-4958-9a61-76c17717b4e8_scaled.jpg

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/ansel-revolutionizing-game-screenshots
Maybe you can try capturing 360 game screenshots yourself? I havent try it yet myself though

Does Serious Sam: The Last Hope have an option to disable blood/gore? Would like to pick it up, but I can't deal with gore, especially in VR. :/

I'm pretty sure it has the same blood settings as the other serious sam games which allow you to disable blood or replace it with flowers/gears or other random stuff.

Lakuza

Wands is up for pre-order on the oculus store (with usual pre-order discount):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1833318536683635/

I have this on gear vr and the online was pretty much dead so I spent most of my time on it fighting AI bots. It used node teleportation with the teleport ability tied to a spell so you had to equip it to move to another node if I remember right. Whilst they are still sticking to the node teleportation I'm hoping they've made it easier to move between points for the pc version.

Also i'm not sure how well this will do with Unspoken doing similar stuff (pvp mages + node teleport arena).

----

Here's another round of soundboxing challenges I made today:

Anyone have any impressions on Manifest 99?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/664450/Manifest_99/

Not a game per say, more of an interactive story, but the art style and premise have me interested and its not expensive at all.

The few reviews I have found only seem really positive!

Manifest 99 is very mediocre. There are better, free experiences out there. I wouldn't spend money on it. It's insanely short and the story is kind of garbage.

Lakuza

http://www.vrdconf.com/news/raw-data-devs-share-missteps-wont-make/

Raw Data talks on vr lessons learnt

They said 80% of players are from Vive...

that was a good read. Suprised at some of the stats like how only 20% of players played with full locomotion though. I've tried to join co-op missions and never found one and only ever managed to get into one pvp match against a single player who left mid match after dieing too many times.

EDIT:
Saw this post on vive reddit from someone who played fallout 4 vr (hlvr dev/modder also chimes in agreeing with the impressions too): https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/71tec1/my_fallout_4_vr_experience_at_gamescom/
Better late than never.

First of all I would like to tell you about the Demo Place they had. They had Multiple Vives set up. There was a Screen behind that setup which did not show the Gameplay. Only a Pre-Recorded Loop. Wich was a bit suspicious at first.

After around 5 Hours of waiting I got to play the Demo. I got to play a bit longer than everyone else because the Boothgirls where busy otherwise cough

I was just thrown into the Game. No Instructions. Graphics were bad. Everything looked blurry. As if the whole Game was running on 0.7 Supersampling.

The Next thing wich confused me is that there was no hand on the Right arm where the Pipboy is. You cant grab with this Arm. Had to hold the Minigun with one hand wich was just sad.

Problem Number two. The Teleporting. It had no limit. You could zap around the World like a Madman. You also could skip parts of Quests with it. I even Managed to teleport on an Enemys Head, Wich made the game go haywire. It made me spinn.

Problem 3: The Meele was useless with teleporting. I never hit someone. NPC kept running away. It was very sad because meele is the best thing about Fallout 4.

Problem 4: Performance. Oh my god the perfomance was horrible. Stutter and Lags. It never felt smooth.

Problem 5: The Interaction with the Gameworld was done very Poorly. If you Opened a Drawer to loot it you just got the same old Inventory Screen for looting.

I really have nothing good to say about it. Sorry.

HLVR dev/modder in the same thread:
I also tried it at Gamescom and I have to agree with you.

Yes they launched the game via a bat file opening windows movie viewer above the actual game window to hide it. (They didnt do that with anything else they were demoing.) I was able to see the mirror for a few seconds, it was both eyes with warping.

Also about the 0.7 super sampling, it seemed to me like only close up objects were rendered at full res, further away objects (still just a couple meter away) were very low res and beyond that it looked like just 2d bill-boarding.

I also got stuck underneath the map after teleporting and that broke the game and inverted tracking. They had to reset the demo for me to continue.

Top Bottom