• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

I'm curious as well. I'm not a fan of the genre but have been wanting a VR driving game for some time. Is it worth the price for the VR experience alone, or would picking up an older (cheaper) title make more sense?

Live for Speed, Assetto Corsa, PCars1, Dirt Rally, are all decent VR driving games (quality in the order I listed I think) so there are already a lot of options out there.

For me personally Live for Speed and Assetto are pretty much perfect implementations, even though last time I played the gui of the latter left a lot to desired. PCars1 is really well made, especially in regards to the gui, but performance is lacking. Dirt is mostly the same, but since it has only Oculus support and not SteamVR I rank it last.

jwc13ac

Just picked up Eve Valkyrie: Warzone.

I know I'm LTTP I was waiting for a price drop, but man very fun! Why aren't there many more flight/space games ? Such a good use of VR. I've got house of the dying sun, but this feels way more polished. Anyone else's pick this up due to update?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Seeking Dawn developers are opening closed beta at the beginning of October.

We are pleased to announce some great things today! To kick things off, let me tell you about our beta plans.
We will begin registration for closed beta at the beginning of October, you will be able to sign up through our website which we will share towards the bottom of this post.
Closed beta is set to begin around the end of October, and it will be player-only so that means you guys will be the only ones playing and sending us your feedback on the game! (Beta will be for HTC Vive, Oculus Rift / PC)
Our new website is live and will introduce new game information, story elements, an updated press kit and more! Visit the newly designed website here:
seekingdawnvr.com
If you visited the website before continuing to read this post then you surely noticed that we also released the long awaited... wait for it...
AMBASSADOR PROGRAM!!!!
That's right, the program is finally live and fully functional. You may create your new account and begin racking up points towards those awesome rewards immediately!!
To begin, visit user.multiverseinc.com/ambassador
PSVR Information:
PSVR is not confirmed. We have the devkits sent to us by Sony and will have a team dedicated to optimizing the game to be compatible with the hardware in the PSVR, this can take some time but we will try our best to get it ported for this hardware!
MEDIA OUTLETS:
If you are a media individual who would like to be one of the first to get this info out there email me for press kit information at the following email:
f.ferreira@multiverseinc.com
Our game has grown significantly since E3 and we've added more features to the game that will make you jump out of your chairs in excitement!
As it stands Seeking Dawn is one of the largest VR titles in development, rivaling Fallout 4 VR, Doom VR and others.
We would love to hear your feedback on all of this new info!

Grug

Okay - We recently created a two-minute drill football game - I'm linking to the website for the game, which has the trailer and some media.

http://2mdvr.com

I'm treading lightly here as I don't want to be shilling our own stuff. I posted a few updates and requests in the Indie thread while we were making this, but I'm going to post it once, here, since it's strictly PC VR, and the Indie thread was a non-starter in terms of feedback because most people don't actually have an Oculus or a VIVE.

So here's the deal:
This is a 2-minute drill arcade game (Get it? "2MD"...? yeah.) We didn't do early access - rather we waited until we had a complete, polished product before launching it.
On element that makes it unique is that you can customize 8 of your own offensive plays (there's a virtual whiteboard in the game.). You are actually up against an AI defense against the clock, so there is actual strategy involved. We included 8 unique stadiums, customizable teams, and reactive music. We had Xander Mobus do our announcer (Smash Bros), and we positioned it firmly as an arcade experience.
Since you're playing as (and against) tackle dummies, we were rather tongue-in-cheek with our humor.
Additionally, there are 3 pretty blatant NeoGAF references in there that sadly NO one has pointed out yet.

The other reason I mention this is, I'd really like some feedback. As I said, I posted this in the indie thread, got only a couple takers, and when I did hand out some beta keys . . . and got zero feedback from any of the recipients. Still, we're tweaking the hell out of it . . . so . . . I'm including 4 full retail keys hidden in this message for anyone interested.

All I ask is, if you take one, please voice your opinion?

Quote to reveal

Hey man, just gave it a try.

Human specs: 37 year old Australian male, NFL (Dallas) fan since I was about 10.

PC Specs: i5 7600k (3.8ghz), Radeon RX 480 8gb, 16gb DDR4 ram, 256gb SSD m2 HD, HTC Vive (room space approx 2m x 2m).

Overall, really impressed.

PROS:

- I was expecting a barebones tech demo type vibe but it's really very polished. Great cohesive feel throughout. UI is great.
- Love the design your own play whiteboard thing. Very cool. Immediately signals to the player that there is some meat to the game and it's not just a quick fling a ball around tech demo (embarrassingly, I have to admit that I sat there for two minutes trying to drag a player token around to set a route. I assumed by marker it meant the token. Then I eventually saw the Sharpie on the ground :p)
- The vibe of the actual on-field stuff is cool. Scale of the stadium feels really good and it really feels like you are lining up behind your O-Line.
- Throwing feels pretty good on the whole, especially in terms of direction.
- It legit feels intimidating when the defensive pass rushers are coming at you for the sack.
- I pulled off a 4th down hail mary for a touchdown and felt like a total boss. The mini game after a touch down was fun too.
- Runs smooth as silk. No reprojection or glitching in sight.

CONS

- A few seemed to glitch out and fall short but that might have been a case of me releasing the trigger at the wrong time. Will practice some more.
- I banged my hand up pretty bad in a ceiling fan, who at your company should I address my lawsuit to? ;)
- Seriously though, is there a way I can play seated? i.e. when I am sitting get it to think I am standing? I'm still only a week into this VR stuff!
- The ability to run as the quarterback would be cool but can understand that might be a technical challenge in VR.
- Feels like you have probably too much time in the pocket (but now that I think about it, I only played the first two teams, will no doubt get harder)

Overall man, it's really cool and I will definitely be playing some more. Will give you some updated impressions after I do. As a football fan I would be very content to pay in the $10US range for it as it is. Congrats on a great game.

Okay - We recently created a two-minute drill football game - I'm linking to the website for the game, which has the trailer and some media.

I'm treading lightly here as I don't want to be shilling our own stuff. I posted a few updates and requests in the Indie thread while we were making this, but I'm going to post it once, here, since it's strictly PC VR, and the Indie thread was a non-starter in terms of feedback because most people don't actually have an Oculus or a VIVE.

So here's the deal:
This is a 2-minute drill arcade game (Get it? "2MD"...? yeah.) We didn't do early access - rather we waited until we had a complete, polished product before launching it.
On element that makes it unique is that you can customize 8 of your own offensive plays (there's a virtual whiteboard in the game.). You are actually up against an AI defense against the clock, so there is actual strategy involved. We included 8 unique stadiums, customizable teams, and reactive music. We had Xander Mobus do our announcer (Smash Bros), and we positioned it firmly as an arcade experience.
Since you're playing as (and against) tackle dummies, we were rather tongue-in-cheek with our humor.
Additionally, there are 3 pretty blatant NeoGAF references in there that sadly NO one has pointed out yet.

The other reason I mention this is, I'd really like some feedback. As I said, I posted this in the indie thread, got only a couple takers, and when I did hand out some beta keys . . . and got zero feedback from any of the recipients. Still, we're tweaking the hell out of it . . . so . . . I'm including 4 full retail keys hidden in this message for anyone interested.

Quote to reveal

I grabbed a code, thank you and I will leave feedback.

Matthew23

Live for Speed, Assetto Corsa, PCars1, Dirt Rally, are all decent VR driving games (quality in the order I listed I think) so there are already a lot of options out there.

For me personally Live for Speed and Assetto are pretty much perfect implementations, even though last time I played the gui of the latter left a lot to desired. PCars1 is really well made, especially in regards to the gui, but performance is lacking. Dirt is mostly the same, but since it has only Oculus support and not SteamVR I rank it last.

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard of Live for Speed before but will definitely look into it. Assetto Corsa at half the price of PC2 might be the better entry game into VR racing for me. I'd hate to drop full retail price on something only to find out I don't have the stomach for it.

So here's the deal:

Quote to reveal

nice, i grabbed a code. I will leave feedback

So here's the deal:

Quote to reveal

Grabbed a code. Here are my impressions from someone not that familiar with American Football:

Pros:
-Voice Acting is great
-Physics feel good.
-It really feels polished. Standing on the field in the different stadiums (I was in the Unicorn, Truants and Shirts one) feels really good. The atmosphere is great.
-No performance problems.
-I like the music. Especially the Pixel one!

Cons:
-No explanation for people not familiar with American Football. I saw intercept, Down and stuff like that, that I didnt have a clue what it means.
-I also got a Hot Streak and I didnt know how I did that.
-Didnt find any NeoGAF references :(

Specs:
i5-7600k
Gigabyte GeForce 980TI G1
16GB DDR4 Ram
W10 Pro

Google Earth VR, for those interested, you can change the location and size of the cache, explained here.

It's not really new news but many people don't seem to be aware of that. If your internet connection is not strong enough to pull quickly enough data for the tours the first time you start them (or the 2nd,3rd etc) then "pre-caching" the data by running them a few times will make them more enjoyable. Also the 2 GB cache standard setting will quickly override previous data so having a large cache on a different HDD/SSD is preferable. I "allocated" 100gigs on a seperate HDD, stuff you have already visited loads in way quicker this way and the scenery looks more detailed from afar.

The only open question is if the cache will survive future updates, I'm not sure about that. So if you map out large chunks by visiting them you could be forced to do that again if the cache is discarded.
-
Edit:
To add something more than old news, here is a soundboxing challenge of one of my favorite songs... lel
-

My god, I had such a fucking great time playing Onward with my best friend that's currently working and living in another country, it felt great and gives a lot more presence to someone. Even if he was just a, sometimes silly, virtual character with his arms all twisted, it felt pretty cool to stand beside him.

It was the first game I tried with this style of movement, felt pretty weird the first minutes, but I had adjusted to it by the end. The guys I came across were all pretty cool as well, same thing in Rec Room. Maybe I'm being lucky.

Anyway, has anyone tried Pavlov? I was interested in both but ended up going with Onward, but Pavlov seems different enough that I might pick it up as well. Any thoughts/impressions?

Google Earth VR, for those interested, you can change the location and size of the cache, explained here.

It's not really new news but many people don't seem to be aware of that. If your internet connection is not strong enough to pull quickly enough data for the tours the first time you start them (or the 2nd,3rd etc) then "pre-caching" the data by running them a few times will make them more enjoyable. Also the 2 GB cache standard setting will quickly override previous data so having a large cache on a different HDD/SSD is preferable. I "allocated" 100gigs on a seperate HDD, stuff you have already visited loads in way quicker this way and the scenery looks more detailed from afar.

The only open question is if the cache will survive future updates, I'm not sure about that. So if you map out large chunks by visiting them you could be forced to do that again if the cache is discarded.
-
Edit:
To add something more than old news, here is a soundboxing challenge of one of my favorite songs... lel
-

I did not know that and I haven't tried Google Earth VR because of my crappy connection. Thanks!

My god, I had such a fucking great time playing Onward with my best friend that's currently working and living in another country, it felt great and gives a lot more presence to someone. Even if he was just a, sometimes silly, virtual character with his arms all twisted, it felt pretty cool to stand beside him.

It was the first game I tried with this style of movement, felt pretty weird the first minutes, but I had adjusted to it by the end. The guys I came across were all pretty cool as well, same thing in Rec Room. Maybe I'm being lucky.

Anyway, has anyone tried Pavlov? I was interested in both but ended up going with Onward, but Pavlov seems different enough that I might pick it up as well. Any thoughts/impressions?

Pavlov's awesome. A little bare bones feature wise but it has a pretty steady community and has lots of custom maps. Gameplay feels great. Guns feel great. It's the CS:Go to Onward's ARMA so it's sufficiently different.

Tain

Just released an update to the Horizon Vanguard demo, I'm pretty excited about the new stuff.

The basic TLDR is that there's now a more involved scoring system that rewards consecutive pistol shots (and aesthetic feedback to go along with it), a pause menu with some handy convenience options (like quick restart and hand swap), and a platform-independent online leaderboard!

giphy.gif

Details and more GIFs here: https://tain.itch.io/horizon-vanguard/devlog/11435/demo-update-16-released-new-features

ArtHands

Just released an update to the Horizon Vanguard demo, I'm pretty excited about the new stuff.

The basic TLDR is that there's now a more involved scoring system that rewards consecutive pistol shots (and aesthetic feedback to go along with it), a pause menu with some handy convenience options (like quick restart and hand swap), and a platform-independent online leaderboard!

giphy.gif

Details and more GIFs here: https://tain.itch.io/horizon-vanguard/devlog/11435/demo-update-16-released-new-features

I’ll have to give it another go. When is the official release?

Tain

The full game is still a ways off (2018). The demo's release was an early one for me to get feedback on some of the core mechanics before building too much around elements that would later need changing. I considered going Early Access, but I didn't want to reveal the game's stages bit-by-bit and I didn't want to charge up front.

There were some key features I wanted to make sure were in the demo, though, before letting it rest for a while (thus this update). I'll still be looking into bugfixes, but I don't plan on any further feature updates to the demo until maybe shortly before the final game's release.

I'll watch this space :)

Alright, spent some time with it.

things i liked.
-Its football. a game where I get to be QB
-I get to create my own plays/adjust the current plays that are there
-connecting on deep plays feels incredibly rewarding
-connecting on someone wide open who breaks for a run all the way to the end zone is incredibly rewarding
-game runs super smooth

things that can be worked on
-Need button indicators on what to do. for instance after the game ending, I didn't know how to get out, I just started pushing random buttons to get back to the start.
-more setting options, like being able to change the hike/throw button to the middle finger oculus button instead of the trigger.
-the bonus bin seems to be to far to the right. I always have to move over to it. It should be so that I don't have to move to it. it should spawn next to where I was standing as QB. It bothers me because of my room size.
-with that said, and in regards to a settings menu (with a button that would pause the game and open up a settings menu) allow us to reset our position so that things like the Bin with footballs during the bonus round is right next to where we are instead of having to move to it.
-More plays, let us do 8 plays. 2 left 2 right 2 up 2 down. you could color code the first set and second set differently so we know where we are at. first set being orange and second set being yellow.
-It's hard to determine whether I'm going to throw a bullet or a Lob, which I will to go into in the next section
-saw the notebook. good idea, but need a way to goto the next page...or I couldn't figure it out, it would just do it automatically slowly. need to be able to actually goto next page on notebook with a button or by motion control.
-I can add more to this the more I play, but I like whats there...

The more elaborate out of the box suggestions that might not be possible or might be to much work but just ideas to improve the game.
-Make 2 additional modes. Make the current mode as "Arcade mode." Add multiplayer mode of course where you go against someone else. (which means you have to have defensive plays and I guess the person on defense would just pick defensive plays to try to counter the offense?) this might be overwhelming to balance out.
and the third mode being Professional. Where it's like a real game with four 2 minute quarters. no "bonus round" after a TD. Instead you can choose for automatic field goal point, or can choose to run a play for 2 points.
-Allow us to run the ball (but not ourselves, I mean let us make and call run plays). If the defense gives us a certain look, allow us to make and choose a run play where we hand the ball off. this would include power, or sweeps, or even a pitch play
-So, as I said earlier, hard to tell if I'm throwing a bullet or a lob. Sometimes I wanna throw long deep lob ball. (hail mary-ish) but it would come out as a bullet that goes far, and sometimes vice versa. Instead. How about like, throwing it with Trigger/middle finger oculus button (if we can get that option as I said previously) will always make it float/lob.....and then if we Throw while holding down the B button, it will be a Bullet.

hope that was helpful. I'm sure theres more I can speak on, but that's all I got so far.

with that said, I really like whats there so far and love that you guys are working on this because there is a lack of football stuff for VR which I obviously would love more of.

<edit> specs
i5-2500k
gtx 1070
16gb ram
Oculus rift

Does anyone have any 360° VR footage from any game that they'd be happy with me using for a project? I've been really struggling to find any :/

ArtHands

Does anyone have any 360° VR footage from any game that they'd be happy with me using for a project? I've been really struggling to find any :/

Sorry cant be of much help. I have read that you can capture 360 pictures with Nvidia Ansel but I havent read if you can use it to create 360 vr footage from game

Sorry cant be of much help. I have read that you can capture 360 pictures with Nvidia Ansel but I havent read if you can use it to create 360 vr footage from game

You can't use it to capture footage, understandably. It's rare that a game can be filmed in 360°, but I know there's dev tools and scripts out there that make it work, but I can't find anyone who can let me use the footage they've taken :(

Lakuza

giphy.gif

nice, will definately try the new update out later tonight, was actually thinking of replaying this again over the weekend so this was timed perfectly :p

Look at the sidelines

Thank you for the feedback. Was the tutorial at the beginning helpful at all?

Also&#8212;did you notice the little notebook next to the helmet? We included some basic tips about football in it, but I wasn't entirely sure if we should approach it differently...

Yeah. The tutorial was helpful. The notebook changes the tips randomly though, right?

After a few more games I slowly understand the rules. I am still not that good, but I won 2 games now.

If you're interested in listening to your music in VR, check out Raybeem! I've been working on this fulltime since January and am excited to finally be releasing it.

Raybeem is out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/631120/RAYBEEM__Live_in_Your_Music/

Here's the Trailer:

Demo is available here: https://sokay.itch.io/raybeem-vr-music-visualizer

Peace!

Cool. Will try out the demo later~

If you're interested in listening to your music in VR, check out Raybeem! I've been working on this fulltime since January and am excited to finally be releasing it.

Raybeem is out on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/631120/RAYBEEM__Live_in_Your_Music/

Here's the Trailer:

Demo is available here: https://sokay.itch.io/raybeem-vr-music-visualizer

Peace!

With Soundboxing, Chroma Lab, TheWave VR, Senza Peso and Surge my experiences of listening to music in VR have never been anything short of incredible. Will definitely check this out.

Edit: Weird trailer 'music' choice though. Monotonous drone doesn't exactly sell the tone of a vibrant experience.

Paganmoon

With Soundboxing, Chroma Lab, TheWave VR, Senza Peso and Surge my experiences of listening to music in VR have never been anything short of incredible. Will definitely check this out.

Edit: Weird trailer 'music' choice though. Monotous drone doesn't exactly sell the tone of a vibrant experience.

Check out La Peri on Steam, think you'll like it if you liked Senza Peso.

Lakuza

Some new soundboxing challenges: (punches/song length)

Just finished trying out the new update. No complaints here, all the new additions are great (especially the restart option). Also adding the score/multiplier info to the bikes dashboard is a nice touch. :)
There really is nothing like this out for vr from what I've seen, really does remind me when I was like 10 years old or something and I used to enjoy going shopping just so I could play star fox on n64 kiosks in stores.

New DOOM VFR screenshots
Really looking forward to this, screens look great :D hoping there's no launch day issues for rift.

around 25 minutes per episode and with 5 episodes planned, the complete experience looks like it will be 2 and half hours at most. I really hate that most if not all vr horror games are super short and easily finished in one sitting/day.

edit:

You got a good shoutout on vr roundtables latest episode in case you werent aware of it already. time linked: https://youtu.be/QCPdahZJ5Is?t=28m31s

ArtHands

Light Tracer got announced for Vive and Rift! not sure how I missed this news.

Lakuza

nice, considering they were about to shut down a few weeks ago. Never used altspace, have it installed on my gear vr but never bothered to try it out.

From Other Suns is coming out on 14/11/2017 for £24.99.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1226573594029268/

It doesn't show it on the web store page but if you look at it on the Oculus client it has an "Offers in-app purchases" icon which makes me a tad apprehensive preordering it.

interesting. I'm assuming it will be cosmetics for your character or the ship apart from obvious dlc content. There's no real competition in this game for there to be pay 2 win, but I still don't want to see "elite" versions of existing weapons as micro-transactions otherwise I'm more likely to just play the game solo.

EDIT:

From other suns won't be offering any in game purchases. I asked about it on a reddit thread where the devs are active and a user replied saying they were forced to have that on the store page because they are given anyone that pre-orders a golden laser pistol.
reddit user said:
They clarified this already. No plans. They were just forced to do that in order to give their Golden Gun bonus to pre-orders.

Plasma

Banned
From other suns won't be offering any in game purchases. I asked about it on a reddit thread where the devs are active and a user replied saying they were forced to have that on the store page because they are given anyone that pre-orders a golden laser pistol.

Ah that's alright then, I was worried that the loot and customisation options would be buried under micro transactions.

SomTervo

Damn thats on the same date as The Gallery: Episode 2. And 2 days after the release of Taphouse VR, OVERTURN, Luna, The Talos Principle VR and Cliffstone Manor

Yep, we deliberated over the date a lot. It's not ideal but the beef is we can't afford to develop past October and we need to avoid Destiny + hit the Halloween sale... At least we're the only VR horror game in there.

The Gallery is the day before, FYI.

Top Bottom