• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers S3 |OT| The End Is Near - Premieres Sunday 4/16, 9pm on HBO

Finally caught up with the series finale. Damn, what an episode. What a show! The feels were intense! I am gobsmacked that the show, Theroux and above all, Carrie Coon, didn't get Emmy nominations!

SickBoy

I'm gobsmacked at the lack of Emmy nominations for the series, for Justin, and for Carrie. It's ridiculous.

I thought she was fine in Fargo, but amazing in this show (in general, but fantastic this season, too). So to see her nominated for that season and not this one... bleh.

EDIT: Then again, given what most of the people I know have had to say about the most recent season of House of Cards, I think there are more surprising nominations.

BFIB

I watched this last month.

I was already forewarned not to expect any big dive into the departed, or what causes the event in the first place, and to expect more of a character study. So knowing that, I curbed my expectations back a bit from "sci fi" to more drama focused.

Overall, I thought the show was excellent. As long as you come in with expectations from Lost (not getting answers for everything), it makes this show a lot more enjoyable.

Kadayi

Banned
I thought she was fine in Fargo, but amazing in this show (in general, but fantastic this season, too). So to see her nominated for that season and not this one... bleh.

EDIT: Then again, given what most of the people I know have had to say about the most recent season of House of Cards, I think there are more surprising nominations.

I think the reality is the Emmy's caters towards the more popular end of the market. HBO got their nods in for Westworld, which tbh I enjoyed but felt a tad uneven in places, but it was much more popular than The Leftovers in the ratings department.

I think the reality is the Emmy's caters towards the more popular end of the market. HBO got their nods in for Westworld, which tbh I enjoyed but felt a tad uneven in places, but it was much more popular than The Leftovers in the ratings department.

I grudgingly admit that with Thrones ending HBO needed to throw its weight behind its show of the future, and that's Westworld. They could have gotten Leftovers nominations if they tried, but they need to have Westworld seen as their newest prestige showcase show. I agree with your criticism btw, probably more strongly (it was a mystery box with a show built around it vs. a show about characters with a mystery as part of it.)

Kadayi

Banned
I grudgingly admit that with Thrones ending HBO needed to throw its weight behind its show of the future, and that's Westworld. They could have gotten Leftovers nominations if they tried, but they need to have Westworld seen as their newest prestige showcase show. I agree with your criticism btw, probably more strongly (it was a mystery box with a show built around it vs. a show about characters with a mystery as part of it.)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm fucking pissed that the actors, writers and directors are missing out. I think it reflects poorly on the Emmy's really more than anything else. I mean Jez they dropped the ball on The Wire, and they dropped the ball on this as well. however, it's, unfortunately, the nature of these things that some shows don't ever get the recognition they deserve. I thought both Rectify and Southland were top shows, in their day, but neither of them achieved any awards recognition.

I finished it during the week and im just blown away by it, I was really worried about how they were going to end it and I was expecting some sort of soul crushing closure but it was the complete opposite. It was this beautiful love story between two broken people who after years of searching both physically and emotionally found happiness with each other.

I couldn't have wished for a better ending. The twin brother episode is up there with Ozymandias and International Assassin as some of my favourite TV ever.

And to echo others its borderline criminal that this show, its writers, cast and directors didn't get an Emmy nod, well apart from Patty, again another incredible performance by Ann Dowd.

As a whole I think the show is in my top three of all time, nothing really else affected me the way The Leftovers did. Just incredibly powerful, thought provoking television.

Jules

Neo Member
Just finished the show. Damn what a ride! I must say I truly enjoyed the music so much in all seasons! The Iris Dement song couldn't have been more perfect.

HotHamBoy

I just finished the show. Watched it over a week.

It is now in my top 3 dramas of all time

1) The Wire
2) Mad Men
3) The Leftovers

RIP Breaking Bad. The Handmaid's Tale was gunning for your spot, anyway.

Seriously, I loved this show! I really fell in love with the cast and the stories they told. Even season 1, which people said was the weakest, was great and had me hooked early on. Wonderful performances, strong dialogue, good use of foreshadowing, interweaving themes, beautiful cinematography, sharply edited, great score.

But that ending, man. One of the best series finales ever.

Personally, the ambiguity and open-endedness felt perfectly in-line with the themes of the show. You really couldn't ask for a better ending. It's funny, all through season 3 I was like "i don't know how they're going to end this." And even up til the last 10 minutes of the final episode I wasn't sure if I would be satisfied. But holy shit, the final scene is perfection on multiple levels.

Honestly, I got the closure I was looking for. What a beautiful show.

One of the best things about the show is how consistently it subverted my expectations. I never knew what was going to happen and when things finally played out it always seemed so well constructed.

My girlfriend and I started watching this a month or so ago. I recommended it because people were saying it was great. A quick summary.

Season 1: my girlfriend wanted to slap me for going through that. Really rough confusing (as far as choices) all over the place season.

Season 2: much improved and some really great stuff in there. I'd say we generally enjoyed it a lot.

Season 3: felt more like season 1 than 2. Seemed like they weren't exactly sure where to go with the show in some episodes with a lot of filler too. For instance, that boat episode didn't have to be an entire episode ON THE BOAT (imo)

Overall, we're both left feeling pretty disappointed by it. It was nice seeing Kevin and Nora at the end there but aside from that I don't understand the mass amount of praise it got. We get it.. People deal with an unexplainable crisis like that differently. How they go on in life. How they try to explain things or fix them.

I feel like we're missing some deeper meaning but I fear there isn't one (just like the characters in the show). I've seen people see this show redeemed lindelof but I just don't feel that way at all. Seems like the same stuff from him. I guess I'm just not a fan of his style. Oh well, gave it a shot!

Dr.Parity

Banned
https://youtu.be/e3qTfWZJa5E?t=84

When Noah says, "OK", it's simply one of the best scenes I've ever seen in my life. The perfect of the intimate nature of such basic things is something I've almost never experiences.

Coon was robbed, this entire show was robbed. It makes me sad that this isn't a show I can talk to people about like TWD or GoT, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen, one of the most impactful, and it will never get the recognition it deserves.

Klocker

When Noah says, "OK", it's simply one of the best scenes I've ever seen in my life. The perfect of the intimate nature of such basic things is something I've almost never experiences.

Coon was robbed, this entire show was robbed. It makes me sad that this isn't a show I can talk to people about like TWD or GoT, it's one of the best shows I've ever seen, one of the most impactful, and it will never get the recognition it deserves.

agreed

show was way better than appreciated by some for some reason

Kadayi

Banned

I agree that it's annoying that it didn't get the official recognition it deserved (I suspect Twin Peaks will be snubbed at next years Emmys as well) but the Emmys never gave any nods to The Wire either. Much like the Wire I think it's wider recognition with come through positive word of mouth and Blu-Ray/DVD sales.

Sambrez_

Wholeheartly agree, and it doesn't meen I can't talk about this show to everyone.
The ending left me broken and melancholy, it was just perfect. Lindelof deserves much praises and I can't wait for HBO Watchmen.

Dammit I forgot how good the music is in this scene too.

I cannot tell you how angry it makes me that this wasn't nominated. But whatever. It still exists, and it's still "ours".

Dany

Banned
Dammit I forgot how good the music is in this scene too.

I cannot tell you how angry it makes me that this wasn't nominated. But whatever. It still exists, and it's still "ours".

This is a place that we all made together. The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people was in this thread. That's why all of you are here. Nobody does it alone, bodyofanamerican. You needed all of them, and they needed you.

This is a place that we all made together. The most important part of your life was the time that you spent with these people was in this thread. That's why all of you are here. Nobody does it alone, bodyofanamerican. You needed all of them, and they needed you.

This is where I admit that I've never seen LOST, but I suspect that you're LOST-ing me.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
On the Emmy snub. This is literally the only show on TV that hit me as hard this past couple of years. It truly is an injustice.

dcll

Banned
I don't keep up with award shows or care about them but I only know one other person besides my wife that watches this show, this kind of show isn't for most people imo.

Solo

S3 Blu-ray hits October 10:

THE LEFTOVERS: THE THIRD AND FINAL SEASON (2017) (audio specs updated)

475:00

DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1 - English; English SDH

16 X 9 WIDESCREEN, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.78:1 COLOR BD 50

In an instant, 140 million people vanished from the face of the earth. The cause of that incredible event remains unknown, and there is no indication that those who are gone will ever be seen or heard from again. THE LEFTOVERS follows the lives that were forever changed by the event that shook the world on October 14. In the third season, the Garvey and Murphy families come together as they desperately grasp for a system of belief to better explain what defies explanation. The world is crackling with the energy of something big about to happen, a corresponding bookend to the Sudden Departure that sent them all spinning years earlier, bringing their journey Down Under.

No word on a complete series boxset though, which I'm holding out for.......

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
S3 Blu-ray hits October 10:

No word on a complete series boxset though, which I'm holding out for.......

Sweet. I'm going to wait to see till the holidays to see if there is a complete set. If not I'm just going to jump in. I would really like to do a rewatch.

If there is a complete set I hope they have more extras. Apparently season 2 is pretty bare bones.

Sober

Will be grabbing season 3 then. If a full series boxset with more extras come out they can take my money. But I get the feeling we won't.

Kadayi

Banned
I RARELY buy physical media anymore but would absolutely pick up a nice box set of the complete series with good BTS features.

Indeed. I generally only buy DVDs without BTS features. Season 1 had some commentary tracks etc, but Season 2 had nothing which was pretty disappointing I'm hoping Season 3 at least has some commentaries.

I watched one of the “Leftovers music makes saddest scenes even sadder” videos this morning (the Lion King one) and god damn. I miss this show so much.

S3 is out on Blu-ray today

Any word on a collected box set? I don’t own any on bluray yet and I kinda want to hold off on buying it in case they release all 3 as a set.

Justin

See this thread bumped reminded me of the story the lady tells in season three about her husband and kids disappearing and now im really sad. That whole story was a real gut shot and such an amazing performance by the actress. It must be really hard to give such a long monologue that is basically just a super tight shot on your face for 4 or 5 minutes.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I need to pick up all the seasons on Blu Ray. Itching to watch the series again. Don't think there will be a series box set.

Top Bottom