• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch Series 1&2 |OT| Better, Wetter

Red

Honestly I love this feature. I listen to podcasts on AirPods all the time and I really hate tapping the earpiece or removing them to pause (it really feels like a douche move - especially since I usually need to pause because someone's talking to me). Previously it was a wrist raise, tap the side button, scroll to Now Playing if it wasn't already selected, then tap pause. Now it's raise wrist, tap pause. This new behavior is fantastic for me.
Yes. I didn’t know this change was made in OS4, but when I realized what was happening I couldn’t stop myself from smiling. Wonderful change. It’s what I’ve been wishing for since day one.

Can you reorder the items in control center on the watch? I really dislike that mute is now off the screen and requires a small scroll. I will never have a use for the flashlight and I've used the pinging function once.

Shearie

I like the idea of the new Music app for the watch but I guess because of limited storage, it only automatically stores certain songs from playlists/albums which makes playing an album/playlist useless. Also, the app is slow as shit on my OG watch. It’ll probably be great for cellular Series 3 owners since the app will probably be fast enough on it and you can just stream anything you want without caring about syncing/storing to the watch. Once I get my non-cellular Series 3, I’m going to try just shuffling all the songs auto-synced to the watch and see how good of a selection it is because it would be nice to save some iPhone battery life and not be constantly streaming music from it.

Shearie

Can you reorder the items in control center on the watch? I really dislike that mute is now off the screen and requires a small scroll. I will never have a use for the flashlight and I've used the pinging function once.

I’m not sure but the change is actually nice for me since my watch is never not silent and that moves up things that I would more likely toggle.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Had some Siri issues on the watch today. Taking a lot to get used to, it’s actually very strange to go to the watch and have it be quite a bit different. Feelin a little clumsy until I get used to it.

jts

...hate me...
watchOS 4 increases the exercise detection threshold tragically for me. Whereas before my daily walks from an to home would grant me 10-14 minutes of exercise, on watchOS 4 it gave me 7. Plus the 5-a-side I play twice a week would blow me way past the 30 minutes of exercise, on watchOS 4 I ended the day on about 15 minutes.

It's still early on, but a tad disappointing at any rate.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bloody hell I hate updating Apple Watch. My charger is in another room with crappy wifi connection. So I tried installing it using a portable charger because it seems to insist on being >50% and being on a charger. But the charger ran out of battery before it could finish so it cancelled the install. The watch was 100% battery though. Stupid bloody thing.

How does it even install - does it transfer over Bluetooth?

edit: It had transferred but not installed. Now have it set up at work while charging my portable charger from my laptop. They need to improve how this works. Removing the requirement for being on a charger would help - if its above 75% batter y when you kick it off it should be fine.

watchOS 4 increases the exercise detection threshold tragically for me. Whereas before my daily walks from an to home would grant me 10-14 minutes of exercise, on watchOS 4 it gave me 7. Plus the 5-a-side I play twice a week would blow me way past the 30 minutes of exercise, on watchOS 4 I ended the day on about 15 minutes.

It's still early on, but a tad disappointing at any rate.

This sounds worrying - I normally check off a 30 minute brisk walk to and from the office each day. If they're raised thresholds I might only scrape 30 minutes total.

Also worrying that all this time maybe I was being given falsely positive information, assuming this recalibration is more accurate.

Red

Could the new exercise threshold have to do with the changes to heart rate monitoring? Do you get more minutes if you disable the new tracking? (and if this is the case, would you want to? it might be more accurate the new way.)

Could also be a fluke—watchOS 4 is new, maybe you’ll see your numbers average out over a week or so.

mrkgoo

Bloody hell I hate updating Apple Watch. My charger is in another room with crappy wifi connection. So I tried installing it using a portable charger because it seems to insist on being >50% and being on a charger. But the charger ran out of battery before it could finish so it cancelled the install. The watch was 100% battery though. Stupid bloody thing.

How does it even install - does it transfer over Bluetooth?

edit: It had transferred but not installed. Now have it set up at work while charging my portable charger from my laptop. They need to improve how this works. Removing the requirement for being on a charger would help - if its above 75% batter y when you kick it off it should be fine.

This sounds worrying - I normally check off a 30 minute brisk walk to and from the office each day. If they're raised thresholds I might only scrape 30 minutes total.

Also worrying that all this time maybe I was being given falsely positive information, assuming this recalibration is more accurate.

Yeah updating really sucks.

I figure ts because it's Bluetooth and a tiny processor. They don't want any chance of an upgrade going wrong because I don't think you can do a restore yourself?

Yeah updating really sucks.

I figure ts because it's Bluetooth and a tiny processor. They don't want any chance of an upgrade going wrong because I don't think you can do a restore yourself?

Correct. If anything bricks you have to send it to an apple repair center, even the stores can’t do it

jiiikoo

Banned
I just noticed that my Series 3 watch has shipped and will arrive on monday. This is my first Apple Watch and I was wondering, how do you make custom watch faces? I know you can make them from your own pictures, but is there a way to make a watch face like this for example:

50622d3280091076bec37971f79ca01a.jpg

I couldn't find any info on that particular one, so I'm assuming it's a mock up, but would be cool if that was possible.

And lastly, is there a way to make animated watch faces?

No

No

Welcome. Which watch+band did you buy?

Aww. Hopefully they let people come up with cool custom faces with WatchOS 10 or something.. And I got the Space Grey aluminium with grey sports band, non-lte version. The only ones that were on pre-order in Finland.

Blackhead

Redarse
I just noticed that my Series 3 watch has shipped and will arrive on monday. This is my first Apple Watch and I was wondering, how do you make custom watch faces? I know you can make them from your own pictures, but is there a way to make a watch face like this for example:
No

And lastly, is there a way to make animated watch faces?
No

Welcome. Which watch+band did you buy?

Majine

Banned

No, you can't. You can tweak the built-in watch faces with a set of complications (including ones from third-party apps), but that's it. There's no watch face store either.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ooh I love how the default face when you’re listening to music is the now playing controls. I’d still prefer the option of a decent face with now playing complications but this will do just fine for now

Ooh I love how the default face when you’re listening to music is the now playing controls. I’d still prefer the option of a decent face with now playing complications but this will do just fine for now
Yup. Would love a complication to just be able to control direct from face without switching to the app. But this is a big help already.

Red

The only change I would make to the now playing functionality is to increase the size of the time. This is still a watch, after all. I love that it switches to player controls automatically (this feature makes me seriously happy), but I still sometimes just want to quickly know what time it is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The only change I would make to the now playing functionality is to increase the size of the time. This is still a watch, after all. I love that it switches to player controls automatically (this feature makes me seriously happy), but I still sometimes just want to quickly know what time it is.

Which is why I’d much prefer a complication with controls small and more space for the time (ideally the simple face which is my fave)

And it should go away more intelligently. My headphones ran out of battery at lunchtime and therefore paused playback. But the face still stayed on the now playing screen all afternoon

Just noticed when listening to pocketcasts it has a speed control too

Red

I don’t think I’d prefer a complication. I keep the modular watchface and use all the complications which are already displayed. I don’t have room for another one. But to have the option, sure.

jts

...hate me...

Could the new exercise threshold have to do with the changes to heart rate monitoring? Do you get more minutes if you disable the new tracking? (and if this is the case, would you want to? it might be more accurate the new way.)

Could also be a fluke—watchOS 4 is new, maybe you’ll see your numbers average out over a week or so.

I’m not noticing any difference in gained exercise minutes.
Yeah definitely could be just me or just a fluke, don't take it as generalised behaviour for watchOS 4. After comparing my last 2 Wednesdays it was actually 29 minutes vs 18 minutes, so not as egregious difference as I first stated. Maybe I was just lazier in my pace.

And you know what? Calories were actually up from 465 to 617 🤷

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wondering whether to sell my s0 SS while it’s still worth something. If I wait a year it will literally be worthless to sell on

mackaveli

I have the 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar and the Apple Watch 3. I cannot enable unlock my Mac with my Apple Watch. When I go to system prefs on the Mac it says

Unlocking your Mac Not supported with your Apple Watch.

Update your Mac's software to allow your apple Watch to unlock your Mac.

I am on the most recent OS for Mac. What am I doing wrong?

I have the 2016 MacBook Pro with touch bar and the Apple Watch 3. I cannot enable unlock my Mac with my Apple Watch. When I go to system prefs on the Mac it says

Unlocking your Mac Not supported with your Apple Watch.

Update your Mac's software to allow your apple Watch to unlock your Mac.

I am on the most recent OS for Mac. What am I doing wrong?

From what I can tell it seems like the S3 Watch requires High Sierra where the previous models only need Sierra. So things are in a weird state of limbo right now

mackaveli

From what I can tell it seems like the S3 Watch requires High Sierra where the previous models only need Sierra. So things are in a weird state of limbo right now

Oh okay. So I guess I'll just wait till Tuesday when High Sierra is out and test it. I thought something wrong with my Watch.

Thanks for the info.

So, nightstand mode does work, but the angle to activate it is greater than before. I have a stand for my watch and charger and was used to dropped the watch on it and the mode activating. Now I have to tilt the stand forward to trigger it. Odd.

vladbkp

Neo Member
Picked up my series 3 (gps only) this morning. And I can’t get the damn Mickey Mouse face to talk when I tap it. I’ve tried pairing it twice, checked all the settings, but nothing is working. Why can’t I get Minnie or Mickey to talk?! Help!!

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. Operator error. But it only worked AFTER a re-pairing.

border

The OS4 update is not showing up for me at all -- it says 3.2.3 is the most recent version. I'm using a Series 0.......I tried restarting the phone and restarting the watch. Any suggestions?

The OS4 update is not showing up for me at all -- it says 3.2.3 is the most recent version. I'm using a Series 0.......I tried restarting the phone and restarting the watch. Any suggestions?

Only way to fix this is Unpair the watch, then re-pair and restore backup. I had the same issue and it was annoying me.

mackaveli

Now that I got the watch, what are a couple of things I should know about the watch, like tips and tricks for it?

I'm pretty pumped that I have one and want to get the most out of it.

it's 38mm non cellular. It's so nice though.

Is there a quick way to tell if the watch is connected through wifi instead of cellular? I tried leaving my phone in my room and going downstairs but it seems that it's not connected as I can't iMessage?

tsumineko

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem with the stopwatch and timer like in this screen cap? I'm using WatchOS4 on a series 3 with LTE.

Qp87vny.jpg

Red

Now that I got the watch, what are a couple of things I should know about the watch, like tips and tricks for it?

I'm pretty pumped that I have one and want to get the most out of it.

it's 38mm non cellular. It's so nice though.

Is there a quick way to tell if the watch is connected through wifi instead of cellular? I tried leaving my phone in my room and going downstairs but it seems that it's not connected as I can't iMessage?
You’ve connected it to your phone, correct?

Sanic

Will the watch only use its built in GPS when it has to (I.E. away from the phone)? It looks like location services settings need to be mirrored between the watch and the phone for apps, and i'm unclear on what that really means.

Will the watch only use its built in GPS when it has to (I.E. away from the phone)? It looks like location services settings need to be mirrored between the watch and the phone for apps, and i'm unclear on what that really means.

I use my Series 2 as a golf gps pretty frequently. If I want it to use the built in Watch gps instead of the phone I have to shut Bluetooth off on my phone. It will always default to trying to using the iPhone gps if it is connected. I know at least a few devs have asked Apple for a way to allow them to use the Watch gps even when connected to the Watch, but it seems Apple hasn't given them any tools or APIs to do so as of yet.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought a 42mm space grey sport almost on a whim. If I want my activity history to carry over from my previous watch should I restore from a backup?

Sanic

I use my Series 2 as a golf gps pretty frequently. If I want it to use the built in Watch gps instead of the phone I have to shut Bluetooth off on my phone. It will always default to trying to using the iPhone gps if it is connected. I know at least a few devs have asked Apple for a way to allow them to use the Watch gps even when connected to the Watch, but it seems Apple hasn't given them any tools or APIs to do so as of yet.

Ah, interesting, thanks for letting me know.

I think i'd appreciate greater granularity in controlling what device does what. I understand that Apple's primary goal is to maximize battery life of the watch, but my goal is to maximize battery life of my phone (a far more important device). Tinkering with the settings, it looks like the watch passes along pretty much anything and everything to the phone if it can.

Ah, interesting, thanks for letting me know.

I think i'd appreciate greater granularity in controlling what device does what. I understand that Apple's primary goal is to maximize battery life of the watch, but my goal is to maximize battery life of my phone (a far more important device). Tinkering with the settings, it looks like the watch passes along pretty much anything and everything to the phone if it can.

Trust me, I get it. My reasoning for getting a Series 2 when it launched was that with the built in gps, I figured that I'd be able to do something like keep my phone in my golf bag and get all of the golf features on the Watch. It will work that way with the workaround of disabling Bluetooth, but I wish there was just a way to tell the app on my Watch to use the built in gps instead of using the phone gps.

I've been tempted to get a Series 3 as I could leave my phone at home. My worry with that is that if it is using LTE to pull data and the built in gps that I wouldn't have enough battery life to get through a round of golf.

Noticing a drop in battery life since updating too. First day I chalked it up to the Now Playing complication being on most of the day even if I barely interacted with it. Second day was a bit better, but definitely worse than before.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Bit of a rough ride with os4 on my series 0.

Sunrise/sunset complication has been dead since I updated. Yesterday SOS triggered by accident o_O which was definitely a glitch. I was driving and did not accidentally press any buttons.

Future

So the Siri complication is awesome. Mostly because it actually updates. All the Apple ones do

3rd party complications don’t seem to update well. I’ve had a dark sky face for the longest time. It will show me weather from yesterday while the Siri one accurately shows today. If I open dark sky app on watch or phone.... then it will update the complication. But that workflow sucks

Are all 3rd party apps like this? I feel like removing them all from my faces besides launch shortcuts and going only with Apple complications

Vuze

Bit of a rough ride with os4 on my series 0.

Sunrise/sunset complication has been dead since I updated. Yesterday SOS triggered by accident o_O which was definitely a glitch. I was driving and did not accidentally press any buttons.
I noticed my brothers (S1) Siri watch face shosw sunrise / sunset but my S0 doesn't. We share the same settings. So that might be the reason why. Reported it to Apple

mackaveli

You’ve connected it to your phone, correct?

Yeah i've connected it to my phone. But i thought you can turn use Wifi from home so i can leave my phone in a different room and still receive notifications from the watch?

Also, anyone recommend some good cheap wristbands to order?

Top Bottom