• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

dr guildo

Using free-roam camera in GTS.

b2put3x.gif

@benzy nice, which tools do you use to make your gif please ?

Stunning ! The lighting is unparalleled !

shandy706

I'm more impressed by the tracks/buildings/LOD in PGR than anything else in the last 2 pages...lol.

The environments in gameplay shots of GT:S are rough as usual on a full screen on my work PC. Look great on my phone though.

Nice, I need to play this in VR.

And just imagine pgr4 with 16xAF and taking advantage of Xbox One X :)

Although racing games really benefit lots of AF considering you're looking at fairly flat surface with a sharp tarmac texture, having it look sharp far into the distance, PGR4 will be locked in car and music license hell. Sadly.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I'm more impressed by the tracks/buildings/LOD in PGR than anything else in the last 2 pages...lol.

The environments in gameplay shots of GT:S are rough as usual on a full screen on my work PC. Look great on my phone though.

Nice, I need to play this in VR.

Every game looks better when is downsampled to tiny shots/gifs.

Mascot

Beautiful, but everyone needs to remember that this is NOT the IQ that you'll see through the headset.

I absolutely LOVE the immersion of racing in VR and simply cannot go back to a 2D screen for sims, but the resolution of current HMDs feels is a huge trade-off, especially if you normally game in 4k.

Synth

Not 100% wrong. With the wrong settings it looks worse. But I don't know what exactly he said and I don't want to start a new discussion.

Trust me, it wouldn't be a new discussion, and you probably don't want to know how it went.

Gestault

Project Cars 2. I really wish the reflections in puddles were higher resolution. Really destroys a lot of the shots. I think the particle effects are quite good though.

Which platform are these from? The blocking on reflections is pretty dramatic (but otherwise looking great).

Synth

By asking if the police station sink into the ground? that's pretty impressive if you ask me.

Well, I wasn't referring to that specifically... but once you gain a reputation for making nonsense arguments, it colours people's perceptions of other things you post. It's not something you should flatter yourself about.

Well, I wasn't referring to that specifically... but once you gain a reputation for making nonsense arguments, it colours people's perceptions of other things you post. It's not something you should flatter yourself about.

It's probably worth just ignoring him at this point. You're not going to get your point across and it just provokes more dumb "gotcha" responses.

onQ123

Nah it's been this way for awhile I got the same reaction for talking about 4K gaming in the coming generation (Which is this generation) at the end of 2012.

Gestault

When people keep quoting and responding to pointless posts, it cancels out the usefulness of the ignore feature. Please talk about racing games.

Not the greatest video quality wise but .....
BMW M4 GTS vs FM7 sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4ux8uNVlM

Neither video sounds right, I'm assuming it was recorded weirdly. The Forza clip's sound is too loud and slightly blown out so it clips a lot more than the real thing, while the GT audio is a weird mix that sounds like it's coming from behind me with a sort of phasing effect.

EDIT: The interior clip of GTS doesn't have the same effect in that video so maybe it's just the game's external audio. The Forza clips are definitely blown out, just tested it in my own game.

Neither video sounds right, I'm assuming it was recorded weirdly. The Forza clip's sound is too loud and slightly blown out so it clips a lot more than the real thing, while the GT audio is a weird mix that sounds like it's coming from behind me with a sort of phasing effect.

EDIT: The interior clip of GTS doesn't have the same effect in that video so maybe it's just the game's external audio. The Forza clips are definitely blown out, just tested it in my own game.

Not the greatest sound quality wise too so it's useless for comparison as (at least) Forza 7 isn't recorded properly.

Yeah the audio is messed up.

What a great accomplishment by PD, going from the lowest of the low sound quality to trading blows with some of the best.

Not really, sounds much too smooth to me compared to the real thing: https://youtu.be/0RFoYCG4_TE?t=73 (1:15 or so)

There's a distinct kind of "clatter" that BMW exhausts tend to make under hard acceleration (at 1:18 in the video) that neither game comes close to, but at least Forza's has a moderately rough sound to it.

Also, just watched that comparison video again, this time I'm sure I can hear dithering on the Forza interior clips. Somehow they managed to make it too loud on the exterior but with appropriate quality, then lower quality on the interior clips? Confusing.

Tripolygon

Banned
Not really, sounds much too smooth to me compared to the real thing: https://youtu.be/0RFoYCG4_TE?t=73 (1:15 or so)

There's a distinct kind of "clatter" that BMW exhausts tend to make under hard acceleration (at 1:18 in the video) that neither game comes close to, but at least Forza's has a moderately rough sound to it.

Also, just watched that comparison video again, this time I'm sure I can hear dithering on the Forza interior clips. Somehow they managed to make it too loud on the exterior but with appropriate quality, then lower quality on the interior clips? Confusing.
Listen to the MX5 sounding exactly like M4 in Forza and neither sounds like the real car.
https://youtu.be/hw4ux8uNVlM?t=37
https://youtu.be/bIDXBpG1uJY?t=12

Then compare to Driveclub which i still believe sounds better than both.
https://youtu.be/3oxuEWhago4?t=126

GTS sounds cleaner but it sounds closer than Forza. Driveclub though is still better than both. But still kudos to PD for improving their sound considerably and trading blows with some of the best.

Listen to the MX5 sounding exactly like M4 in Forza and neither sounds like the real car.

Wait, you're saying the MX5 and M4 in Forza sound the same? How?

The MX5 in Forza is pretty spot on: https://youtu.be/W69050AMO1c?t=288 (4:48)
The roof is up in that part of the clip so it's not as clear, but you can still easily hear the raspy exhaust note it has.

However accurate or inaccurate you may think it is, it definitely doesn't sound like the straight 6 in the M4.

Tripolygon

Banned
Wait, you're saying the MX5 and M4 in Forza sound the same? How?

The MX5 in Forza is pretty spot on: https://youtu.be/W69050AMO1c?t=288 (4:48)
The roof is up in that part of the clip so it's not as clear, but you can still easily hear the raspy exhaust note it has.

However accurate or inaccurate you may think it is, it definitely doesn't sound like the straight 6 in the M4.
Nope MX5 in forza does not sound close to the real thing, the real car sound muffled just like in that video compared to Forza screaming like a V8. MX5 in GTS sounds spot on.

I think I'm having deja vu because i remember us having this same argument over sound in Forza 5 or 6 Vs Driveclub.

Nope MX5 in forza does not sound close to the real thing, the real car sound muffled just like in that video compared to Forza screaming like a V8. MX5 in GTS sounds spot on.

I think I'm having deja vu because i remember us having this same argument over Forza 5 or 6 Vs Driveclub.

Screaming like a V8? Are we watching the same videos?

EDIT: Here's another MX5 clip. https://youtu.be/n6QgX1E33lM?t=32
It's a very throaty sound for an inline 4 but it sounds nothing like a V8 or the M4's I6 (or both apparently?). Again, the raspiness of the exhaust sound comes across well in the Forza video. The whole audio in that clip is too loud of course but that's what volume sliders are for. GT's sounds a lot more smooth and synthetic.

https://youtu.be/hw4ux8uNVlM?t=37
https://youtu.be/bIDXBpG1uJY?t=12

Then compare to Driveclub which i still believe sounds better than both.
https://youtu.be/3oxuEWhago4?t=126

GTS sounds cleaner but it sounds closer than Forza. Driveclub though is still better than both. But still kudos to PD for improving their sound considerably and trading blows with some of the best.

Driveclub sounds better than both like you said and I also agree that GTS sounds closer to Driveclub and even Asseto Corsa than Forza does.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So now that I'm comparing Forza 7 and GTS, I see that Forza still has baked shadows. Is that right? Shadows in GT appear fully real-time and relative to the sun position. They also flicker and break-up somewhat, unfortunately.

...but Forza's lighting is static, does not line up with sun position or properly cast on objects. Only car shadows appear dynamic. For some reason, I was thinking real time of day changes would mean real-time world shadows but I guess not. :\

So now that I'm comparing Forza 7 and GTS, I see that Forza still has baked shadows. Is that right? Shadows in GT appear fully real-time and relative to the sun position. They also flicker and break-up somewhat, unfortunately.

...but Forza's lighting is static, does not line up with sun position or properly cast on objects. Only car shadows appear dynamic. For some reason, I was thinking real time of day changes would mean real-time world shadows but I guess not. :\

Can you clarify on the not casting on objects part? I've noticed that shadows cast onto cars perfectly fine, the only unrealistic thing I've noticed is that the reflection of the sun on the car doesn't always disappear when you're in a shadow.

Also the shadow angle is different for different times of day, but that could just be multiple bakes.

...but Forza's lighting is static, does not line up with sun position or properly cast on objects. Only car shadows appear dynamic. For some reason, I was thinking real time of day changes would mean real-time world shadows but I guess not. :
This is dark10x, equivalent to opening the Pandora's box in this thread.

May God have mercy on us all.

Synth

Yea, FM7's shadows are still baked into the environment. We actually had a rather long back-and-forth in this thread regarding this.

Hojaho

Can you clarify on the not casting on objects part? I've noticed that shadows cast onto cars perfectly fine, the only unrealistic thing I've noticed is that the reflection of the sun on the car doesn't always disappear when you're in a shadow.

Also the shadow angle is different for different times of day, but that could just be multiple bakes.

My guess is multiple bakes, and one of the reason the game is so big. Also players don’t have the option to pick ToD by themselves, which should be an effortless option to implement if it wasn’t prebaked.
I think their solution is the only way to achieve their target performance on regular XBOX One.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I've noticed situations where a shadow is baked into an object coming from a larger object but then another object next to it will be lacking the appropriate shadow.

What's confusing me are the shadows in this shot. The sun is in roughly the same location and the car shadows are both elongated in the same direction. You'd expect shadows from the trees to be visible and similarly elongated. We see that on GT but not in Forza.

This whole race is like that - shadows are sparse and, when they do appear, the angle is often a little off.

For GT, what I think they're doing is rendering shadows real-time BUT the game does not have dynamic time of day switching due to the baked global illumination technique in use. AC Unity also used baked times of day. Horizon does as well, actually, but the developers found a way to smoothly transition between a handful of different pre-baked lighting conditions (which I guess could have worked in GT).

GT5 had real-time TOD changes but not any sort of GI system.

It's fascinating to see how the developers approached each problem.

8j7c.jpg

Top Bottom