• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Racers on PC

Tizoc

I'm not much of a Racing Sim fan (though I would play one, they just aren't my main preference far as the genre goes), and much prefer the simplicity of the Arcade Racing style of games. I've found that most of the Kart style racing games I've enjoyed fall into Arcade racer category.

ATM I've got these racing games among my Steam collection along with others I got from discs, and was wondering if there are any that I missed that I should pick up, so do recommend any good ones from the past 5 years or more-
Cars 2
FlatOut 2
NFS Hot Pursuit 2010
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
Blur (I got this from a Disc copy)
Test Drive Unlimited 1 (Disc copy as well)
Driver San Francisco

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Split/Second is worth a look for sure, despite the 30FPS-ness of the PC port.

Burnout Paradise is still an excellent game, and works on a toaster nowadays.

The Trackmania games are also decent Arcade racers, but are require a specfic taste.

I would say a few more, but games like Outrun C2C, Sega Rally etc aren't available any longer on Steam.

Edit: Beaten like an old horse.

Outrun 2006, doesn't get much better than that. You'll have to buy a disc copy now though.

SEGA Rally
Split/Second

The frame pacing in the PC version is completely broken so I can't recommend it unfortunately. It's a stuttery mess. Every time I get a new GPU I install my disc copy in the hope that it somehow went away but every time I'm left with disappointment.

PantsuJo

BallisticNG (best Wipeout clone here)
Sonic Racing Transformed (masterpiece)
Burnout Paradise
GRIP (fucking awesome)
Redout
Formula Fusion
Drift Stage is coming too.

Edit: oh, the classics you must have.

Outrun 2006 is the BEST ARCADE GAME ever made, imo. You need to buy a disc (15€ for PC ver.)
Screamer is really good too (on GOG)

Tizoc

Dirt Showdown
Wreckfest
Carmageddon: Max Damage
Grip
Distance
Redout
Blazerush

I have all of those except Carmageddon which doesn't interest me :X
I will grab Redout in due time

Split/Second is worth a look for sure, despite the 30FPS-ness of the PC port.

Burnout Paradise is still an excellent game, and works on a toaster nowadays.

The Trackmania games are also decent Arcade racers, but are require a specfic taste.

I would say a few more, but games like Outrun C2C, Sega Rally etc aren't available any longer on Steam.

Edit: Beaten like an old horse.

Oh yeah I have the Trackmania games except Turbo and I do have split/second know that I checked.

LPG

Neo Member
FlatOut 4 is basically a bigger and better version of FlatOut 2, so it's a nice option if you don't want a dated experience.

I've found The Crew to be really fun, especially if you play it with friends.

Forza Horizon 3 gameplay stands between arcade and sim, but the game is loads of fun, and also really beautiful. Only downside is you can only get it through the Windows Store.

Not really a racing game, but Crazy Taxi is on Steam too.

Mechazawa

It really burns my ass that it's not possible to buy Blur on Steam anymore.

Especially since a good steam sales would've periodically revived it every once in a while.

Fucking Activision.

Tizoc

FlatOut 4 is basically a bigger and better version of FlatOut 2, so it's a nice option if you don't want a dated experience.

I've found The Crew to be really fun, especially if you play it with friends.

Forza Horizon 3 gameplay stands between arcade and sim, but the game is loads of fun, and also really beautiful. Only downside is you can only get it through the Windows Store.

Not really a racing game, but Crazy Taxi is on Steam too.

Cool beans about fallout 4. I played The Crew and beat the main game last year, was a blast but it took up a lot of space on my HDD so I had to delete it XP

I got Crazy Taxi too on Steam.

Anteater

Need for Speed Most Wanted is pretty good, it's the only "open world" racing game I enjoyed, it was free on Origin at some point.

I also enjoyed the 2 Grid games, never finished 2 though

Hux1ey

Banned
The classic Need for Speed games are still some of my favourite arcade racers to go back to

NFS 2, 3 Hot Pursuit, 4, Road Challenge and Hot Pursuit 2 (specifically the PS2 version developed by Blackbox which I emulate but the PC version is decent too) are all brilliant arcade racing games. I'm actually playing through Porsche Unleashed right now but that's a bit more of a simulation believe it or not.

Durante

Radial-G : Racing Revolved is a really cool sci-fi arcade racer that hasn't been mentioned yet with excellent VR support.

Something similar to Rollcage but with fancy graphics would be really nice.
As PantsuJo said, that's exactly what GRIP is.
Very fancy graphics too.

u havn't missed out on anything, i see u have the 2 goat racers in your library (NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 & Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed).

nfs rivals is also pretty good, the car handling isn't as good as nfs 2010 but the online world is well done. its on ea access so its worth checking out.

horizon 3 is between a sim & arcade racer so u may actually enjoy it, i didn't because it wasn't arcadey enough, i like racers where i can tap brake to drift around corners.

petran79

Banned
Lotus was one of the best computer racing games. There are a lot of racers on computers if you count 80s and 90s

Screenshot-5.png

KHlover

Banned
I really liked Re-Volt back in the day. Racing through neighborhoods, supermarkets etc. in RC cars was dope

a2.png

Also had (has?) a great modding scene on PC. I still have a controller that works almost like a typical RC car controller, but it uses some kind of serial port (not even USB 1.0, it's THAT old) and I have no idea how to connect it to my PC. Was insanely fun to play with that thing, waaay better than with a standard controller.

EDIT: Couldn't find a pic, so here's a sketch.

8lFseBd.png

Ugly abomination of a sketch, but it should be good enough to see how the thing looked like. A few buttons on the front, a trigger on the back and a wheel-like part on top. Don't think it would work all that well for many other games, but it was fucking perfect for Re-Volt.

Adding to the chorus that Forza Horizon 3 is excellent.

You might also want to give the original Sonic Racing a look. Transformed is an awesome racer, but the original had a lot of superb courses too.

great arcade racing games died with the sanfrancisco rush series. RIP

edit - i consider kart racers like mario kart a different sub genre

billsmugs

LEGO Racers is a very solid kart racer with customizable karts

It's a bit easy as an adult (it is aimed at kids after all), but I wish more kart races had a similar approach to drifting, boost and powerups. A lot of kart races seem to require you to constantly drift, even on straight sections of track to get the best time and don't have a lot of strategy to powerup usage. Even the sequel switched to random powerups (and bizarrely limited you to designing one vehicle per area, which you couldn't change), but Lego Racers 1 is still (in my opinion) the best kart racer available.

I only tried the demo but it looks fun.

It's really good and has a tonne of content. the zombie DLC is also good (although completely devoid of any racing!)

Top Bottom