• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions |OT| Wanna dodge this nut's attacks?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, I don't recall the final boss being this....annoying & tedious. I was level 35 & my attack was in the 150 range. Even worse, I died during the halfway point my first attempt, meaning I had to start the form all over again. Want to say it took a good 45 minutes. UUUUGGGGHHHH.

Even worse, the strongest attacks are the ones where you gotta mash A, meaning my thumb was getting really sore. The only other final battle that I recall being so damn tedious was the Partners in Time one. Not to mention, the camera angle made it hard to judge when to jump/use your hammer for certain counter attacks.

Oh well, it's the only real "bad" part of this remake & I'm glad I got to revisit a childhood favorite with a new coat of paint.

Color Splash was my personal favourite game of last year. That game had a whole load of love poured into it - while it's no doubt a product of idiosyncratic design (which, in my eyes, gives it character), the dialogue, world design, and presentation were all top notch.

One of Intelligent Systems' best games this gen - up there with Fallblox/Crashmo.

Agreed. It's astounding to see people calling Sticker Star and Colour Splash soulless, or lacking love. They are excellent, intricate and extremely characterful games.

Wow, I don't recall the final boss being this....annoying & tedious. I was level 35 & my attack was in the 150 range. Even worse, I died during the halfway point my first attempt, meaning I had to start the form all over again. Want to say it took a good 45 minutes. UUUUGGGGHHHH.

Even worse, the strongest attacks are the ones where you gotta mash A, meaning my thumb was getting really sore. The only other final battle that I recall being so damn tedious was the Partners in Time one. Not to mention, the camera angle made it hard to judge when to jump/use your hammer for certain counter attacks.

Oh well, it's the only real "bad" part of this remake & I'm glad I got to revisit a childhood favorite with a new coat of paint.

One of my distinct memories of that game was how long and infuriating that last boss was, and I had steamroll through the competition up till then which made it even more frustrating

I remember having a miserable time with it as a kid. Especially, since the first time I fought it my speed stats weren't high enough to mitigate the handicap you get coming into the second phase.

The arm swinging attack is harder to dodge due to the 3D rendering and increased colour depth.

I got quickly eliminated on my first go but beat the final boss on my second try. But that's highly likely due to the RNG making my second attempt swinging arm-attack free

Velcro Fly

That moment in a M&L game where you get the move to extract beans from the ground so you abandon the main quest in order to search around for beans.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The arm swinging attack is harder to dodge due to the 3D rendering and increased colour depth.
Exactly. I had the same problem with that flame attack, I felt like I was jumping right as the flames were touching me, but it was the right time to jump, I guess.

This was the only battle where the 3D graphics were messing with my timing.

Exactly. I had the same problem with that flame attack, I felt like I was jumping right as the flames were touching me, but it was the right time to jump, I guess.

This was the only battle where the 3D graphics were messing with my timing.

Yup. On Superstar Saga GBA it was a firm-but-fair challenge, but here it just felt unfair since I was really being tested on my ability to interpret where things were on the screen, something that was always immediately obvious before.

The move to 3D for the boss feels like one of the few missteps the remake took - ironically dodging attacks would be fine with the 3D slider activated.

Agreed. It's astounding to see people calling Sticker Star and Colour Splash soulless, or lacking love. They are excellent, intricate and extremely characterful games.

I cant say anything about colour spalsh becuase i dont know if they made that game better, but sticker star is one of the most mediocre RPGs I have ever played with, and, as much as it seems to surprise you, has ZERO character and charm, and thats sometimes worse than being outright bad.

TripOpt55

I never really got into RPGs until the past few years. So as much as I love Mario's platformers and Kart racers, I have never played any of his RPGs. I recently played through the Rabbids game and had a good time, so decided to try this and I'm having a blast. The story is really funny. The characters and world are very charming. I enjoy the exploration/puzzles. The combat was what I was unsure on because turn-based combat was one of the reasons I guess I never really got into RPGs as a youngster. I've since mostly done action-based stuff recently. And M+R was a different kind of turn-based. Anyway, I have enjoyed the combat more than expected. I like that it has some active elements like timed hits and dodges (not sure if that is the norm, I guess I thought it was mostly picking options in menus for these sorts of combat systems). It does a good job of introducing elements at a rate where a newbie like me isn't overwhelmed either. I am headed to the airport next. I think I've played about nine hours. Really cool game so far. I haven't played a ton of RPGs since I just got into the genre in recent years, but this is one of my favorites so far.

blakdeth

I just started this game last night. I have never played a Mario & Luigi game, or a Paper Mario game for that matter. Any advice on leveling for someone that is completely new to the series?

R0ckman

Beat this fairly quickly, something about it makes me want to immediately replay it, VERY few games have given me this desire. I guess I should add this to my top 5 games. Bowser's Inside Story I don't mind replaying but its usually after a year or two.

R0ckman

I personally felt like those two games were overall mediocre and restrained with a few instances of IS crying out for the good ol days.

I'm trying to be confident that CS bombing gives us a PM remake on switch. The sales PLUS interviewers complaining about the new direction should hopefully help. Going back to Super Star Saga while a final cash in before the series moves to Switch, shows that there is no sinister plan to keep spinoff original characters in the Mario universe dead and burried.

TripOpt55

I finished this tonight. I loved it. My first M&L game. The story was quite funny. I really liked exploring the new kingdom and how there were still plenty of classic Mario stuff in it (Yoshis, Toads, enemies, etc.). The structure and gameplay outside of combat reminded me a bit of a 2D Zelda game. I really liked the active elements to the combat. Learning stuff like how to counter different attacks and which attacks to use for different enemies was cool too. I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the Mario & Luigi games now!

Javaman

Where's the best place to level up in the end game? I tore through about everything till the final boss, but I think I need some more levels.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Where's the best place to level up in the end game? I tore through about everything till the final boss, but I think I need some more levels.
In the same location where the final boss is, just exit & re-enter to make the enemies respawn. That's what I did.

To be honest, this game is just an uglier less charmless version of the original for me. But then again I have an extreme soft spot for GBA graphics that even I can't explain.

yuoke

Banned
They are excellent, intricate and extremely characterful games.
Not when compared to PM64 or TTYD they aren't.

And for people that want to try the other games now...I'll just say be prepared for them all to have different feels to them. Bowser's inside story is the one that by far comes the closest to superstar saga in just the tone, gameplay, etc.

To be honest, this game is just an uglier less charmless version of the original for me. But then again I have an extreme soft spot for GBA graphics that even I can't explain.
Because they looked great and expressed charm in the most minute ways. The art style here is noticeably worse than even if they tried and failed to emulate the original's punchy colors and outlines. This feels like they did less than that by a longshot.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just finished up Joke's End and just need to reunite with Luigi and head off to the final area.

My adventure in the Bean Kingdom is soon coming to an end.

The final bosses of ML games are always bad.

I never beat BiS because of how tedious the final boss was.

I find that funny as Bowser Inside story is the only final boss that I defeated whereas in two game I abandoned and the other 2 I used easy mode to defeat them.

But yeah the final bosses in the series have always been tedious to defeat.

yuoke

Banned
The remade joke's end music is 100x better and more fitting. It has a creepy feel, and the atmosphere was really cool. It sort of reminded me of the crystal palace.

Andyliini

I just began playing this yesterday, and I really like it so far. When I played the GBA-version, I never learned to do the bros attacks, and therefore played the whole game without them. The visual cues in the remake make them much more pleasant to do, so I think I'll thrive this time.

Music sounds good too, no complaints from here.

Top Bottom