• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Switch releases November 10

boiled goose

good with gravy
My bet is that Bethesda's line of thinking is somewhere along the lines of, "We're targeting a new audience that has not yet had the chance to play this game at all, so we should charge full price," despite it being a 1.5 year-old game.
People buying the game for cheaper on other platforms now haven't yet experienced the game either.

The reason is to Maximize revenue. They'll drop price eventually. Problem is then Early adopters feel burned and people learn to wait.

Cerium

AAA ports are almost always full price on a new platform, particularly Bethesda games.

Millions lined up to pay $60 for Skyrim on PS4 and Xbone not too long ago.

That's way earlier than I expected. I won't be in day 1, but I'm definitely in before the holidays. Ready to switch and tear while everyone else is eating fruitcake.

Bethesda is charging $60 because they believe the audience as a whole will accept this price point.

And they're going to be right.

Switch owners are engaged, passionate, and apparently have deep pockets. Both DOOM and Skyrim are going to be successful.

Blackie

Bought. Should have played at least 40 hours of Mario Odyssey by then so can start juggling both games in my playtime schedule. A week later will purchase Skyrim and juggle 3 games. Hmm, things will be tight for a while. Good thing I took the first week of December off to handle all this Switch gaming...

jorgejjvr

Bought. Should have played at least 40 hours of Mario Odyssey by then so can start juggling both games in my playtime schedule. A week later will purchase Skyrim and juggle 3 games. Hmm, things will be tight for a while. Good thing I took the first week of December off to handle all this Switch gaming...
Xenoblade 2 December 1st...

Si2k78

People buying the game for cheaper on other platforms now haven't yet experienced the game either.

The reason is to Maximize revenue. They'll drop price eventually. Problem is then Early adopters feel burned and people learn to wait.

I don't think early adopters are under any illusions, they know all games eventually drop in price. It's a matter of when, not if. They just want it day one, and are willing to pay the price for admission.

Late port being released at full retail continues to be annoying, but it's still very much par for the course. Look at every game that was a timed exclusive. They almost always come out at full retail price. Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't launch at $35 on PS4.

Astral Dog

The pricing is way too high, as is Skyrim's. These can be found on other consoles for less than half the price, so you are just being greedy. If they end up underperforming that price is to blame, not the "lack of interest" from Nintendo's audience.
And we start :p

Astral Dog

Like I said, I get the complaint, but it's daft to expect any different imho. Year old ports almost always launch at full retail. If you don't want to buy at that price, you won't have to wait long for it to come down. Shrug.
I hope thats the case for the Switch too

Dremorak

Banned
Doom ia only a year old, theres no way in hell they are releasing it at $40 or even $50. Skyrim.... could probably be cheaper, but wasnt the definitive version last year 60 as well?

Looks like I'll get as much of a Doom fix in as I can before Skyrim hits. Day 1 on both of these for me. Can't wait. My Switch has been sitting mostly idle for awhile now, so looking forward to playing some epic games soonish.

This is hard to justify when the PS4 version can be had for $15.

And Doom VFR is $29.99 at launch, less with various preorder deals, but its very expensive to port onto a cart and I'm sure the cost to scale down but have it look as well as it does wasn't nearly free either. If SF2 can sell boatloads for $40, DOOM definitely deserves $60.

conpfreak

I own the PS4 version and paid $20 for it months ago. I am seriously considering picking this up at full price during the holidays for portability. It's that good of a campaign.

Like I said, I get the complaint, but it's daft to expect any different imho. Year old ports almost always launch at full retail. If you don't want to buy at that price, you won't have to wait long for it to come down. Shrug.

I hope thats the case for the Switch too

If it’s being distributed by Nintendo it may not come down as quickly as you think. I mean if Dishaea 5 is still 60$ which was release before DOOM originally came out then expect to play the waiting game. Until at least a couple of months after the Switch loses its brand new smell.

I can justify it right now.

I'll play doom when I want, and I won't have 50 GB taking up space anywhere.

That said it amuses me that they were doing so much back and forth about Skyrim's release date and its status as being based on the Special edition for months while DOOM establishes its graphical standpoint from the get go and gets a release date a few weeks later.

EDarkness

Good that they finally announced the release date. It's coming pretty soon, too. I really enjoy playing DOOM, but I won't be picking this up because of no gyro aiming. I hope it performs well enough, though.

I can justify it right now.

I'll play doom when I want, and I won't have 50 GB taking up space anywhere.

That said it amuses me that they were doing so much back and forth about Skyrim's release date and its status as being based on the Special edition for months while DOOM establishes its graphical standpoint from the get go and gets a release date a few weeks later.
I'm assuming it has to do with Bethesda publishing this title versus Nintendo publishing Skyrim.

Mista

Banned
Not a single 1st party Nintendo game in November, all of them are 3rd party games. Well played Nintendo

javac

Nice of Nintendo to leave that usually occupied space for 3rd parties, a lot of people were wondering as to why Mario was octover.

MisterR

Bethesda is charging $60 because they believe the audience as a whole will accept this price point.

And they're going to be right.

Switch owners are engaged, passionate, and apparently have deep pockets. Both DOOM and Skyrim are going to be successful.

We'll see. It didn't work for FIFA, but maybe the Switch audience matches up better with Skyrim and Doom.

Pretty sure? I know the physical version it is, but I got the impression that digital you're stuck with having a multiplayer mode I'll never touch as large as the rest of my library combined. Bugs me on the Steam version too, constantly getting 25 gig updates for something I never launch.

I'm 99.9% sure that multiplayer is optional in digital

EDarkness

We'll see. It didn't work for FIFA, but maybe the Switch audience matches up better with Skyrim and Doom.

I think FIFA is a good case, because it's a version that is not like the others and had very little marketing compared to the ACTUAL FIFA 18. Let's just be clear, the NS version is NOT FIFA 18. It's something else, and I think that the NS audience has no need for offshoots of games when the original and full versions of other games are out there. Why settle for less when they could get the full game at the same price? EA thinking they were going to get away with a lesser version of FIFA isn't gonna work.

FIFA is an odd one. It's missing features, but I'm still kind of surprised at its lackluster performance. I didn't expect massive numbers, but I did expect a bit better than how it appears to be performing.

I do think DOOM and Skyrim will be much better matches for the system, but yeah, it'll be interesting to see. I honestly don't expect huge UK numbers for these games, but I think they'll do quite well in NA.

Neiteio

One of the most fun games on PS4/X1/PC comes to Switch. Definitely looking forward to playing through it again.

Currently I'm enjoying the hell out of The Evil Within 2. That's another Bethesda title I'd play again on Switch.

That box art though

image.png

I don’t think that helps since it’s also the same for the Switch version.
I think we can all clear out the air and blurt out the obvious. DOOM is not going to be a system seller. No one is going to buy a PS4 or a Switch for DOOM. Let's be real here. But if you have EITHER of these consoles. And you want DOOM? Well by gum both of them have it.

DMONKUMA

But keep in mind I own a Switch, whereas I do not own a Playstation 4.

To play Doom 4 on the PS4 would cost me $315 pre-tax, whereas its only $60 on the Switch.

Ah gotcha, thats why you said that. If you like fast base shooter you’ll definitely love this. Just don’t go for MP tho.

I was merely trying to point out how saying "Doom on Switch is a hard sell when it's $15 on PS4" doesn't really apply to everybody because everyone doesn't own a Playstation 4.

Sorry for the confusion.

Oh no no you’re fine. My mistake.

OCD Guy

I personally think they’re all going to flop. The only AAA game that would do serious numbers (i.e comparable to Nintendo games) is Grand Theft Auto, any other multi-platform AAA game is going to be a flop. But as always time will tell.....Doom at that price point is going to be a hard sell but we’ll see.

I think the future for the Switch is awesome Nintendo games, and more first party output as as handheld and console development merge, and it’ll be the go to platform for indies.

Haines

Banned
I...just...qould hate to play such an inferior version of such a spectacular game. Even my ps4 version seems so lacking to the pc version.

Top Bottom