• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I hate every game i'm currently playing because of achievements/trophies

Alex

Achivements are something I'd like a lot if it was the 90s, I was a kid and games were more rare to own/play

Giga Man

The only trophies I cared about were the ones that require I do something I already intended to do in the first place, and the things I intended to do were almost always things that unlocked more things within the game itself. Trophies do absolutely nothing for the game. Sometimes, a trophy can entice me to do something in a game I never considered, but only if that task is easy not time-consuming. Otherwise, trophies are completely irrelevant to me.

They've gotten them with each character update, as the characters have released. I don't know where you got this idea that they suddenly just now got them.

On topic, the only thing ruining games for you is yourself. You're the one making the decision to pursue the trophies/achievements, no one is forcing you to do it. I don't know what else to tell you.

I'm 99% sure those trophies got added when the characters did.

And yes, PS4 does have the Doomfist trophies.

they didnt get them at character launch, because they put a pack of trophies up for sombra and ana at the same time

https://www.playstationtrophies.org...n-dlc-trophy-pack-1-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

Edit: nevermind, i think im mistaken. They just showed at the same time on trophy sites, because I think sombra was just added to the same dlc pack

I want off this ride.

I prescribe 1 week of OG Game Boy Tetris, followed by 2-4 weeks of classic NES/SNES games depending on how long conditions persist. After this, stop going for achievements.

Play a game through until you complete the experience (and that could be before the 'end' depending on whether you're still having fun with the game). If you have an itch to play the game at some later point in time, either start over or use this opportunity to try for an achievement.

every Switch game I play feels empty without them. I hit a hole-in-one in Golf Story and expected a cool achievement to pop, and then remembered I was playing on a Nintendo console.

Do you not get self-satisfaction from these moments? So many cool moments that I’ve done in that game, and others like Mario Kart, Zelda, etc., and it’s an awesome feeling because no one was expecting me to do it. I did it on my own and get that feeling of doing something insane and out of the ordinary for that particular game. I’m not following a set path a developer expected me to.

Edit: spelling

MrNelson

Banned
they didnt get them at character launch, because they put a pack of trophies up for sombra and ana at the same time

https://www.playstationtrophies.org...n-dlc-trophy-pack-1-trophy-guide-roadmap.html
No, the additional trophy pack went up when Ana released, and they've just updated it with each character release.

Here's a discussion from the forums specifically about Ana's trophies just after release.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747784769

Opa-Pa

I'm fairly sure OP realizes how silly their situation is and telling them "just stop caring so much lol" won't help.

I remember seeing you in the Yakuza community OT and thinking you were making a mistake in pursuing that Yakuza 5 platinum, haha :( I'm sorry OP.

As someone who enjoys trophies as nice little bonuses that I don't often feel compelled to get, yes, trophies/achievements were a mistake. Their cons are far greater than their pros.

Also, do you have a similar attitude toward anything else in your life? If so then a therapist could help, I'm 100% serious.

Try playing some games on a platform that doesn't have these for a little while. You'll realize it was still enjoyable and when you return to your other consoles, you won't care anymore. Yay.

Anyway, I recommended this too.

Pepboy

lol ok

We have achievements/trophy websites dedicated to sites, actual leaderboards on consoles, reward system dedicated to them, features in OS that provide help for them, etc.

but no one gives a shit about them

I think it's more like "no one (but you) gives a shit about (the achievements you've earned)

I never understood the need to get achievements and trophies and I think it's weird.

Like, who cares how many platinum trophies someone has?

The meta game can be fun. Like coin or stamp collections, you're not really doing it to impress, it's personal fulfillment. To each their own.

I used to be pretty into achievements/trophies. Now I don't give a fuck. I don't have time for that shit. PC and Nintendo consoles changed my view.

No, the additional trophy pack went up when Ana released, and they've just updated it with each character release.

Here's a discussion from the forums specifically about Ana's trophies just after release.
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20747784769

yeah, my bad i realized. I always just assumed they got packs, because on sites like playstationtrophies they would show up in the recently released, so I assumed that they just put them up in one bundle.

PedroRVD

I have never been an achievement obsessed gamer ... the only 100%s I have are Rare Replay (which I’m ultra proud of), Yooka Laylee, Kazooie, Tooie, Resident Evil 4 And Super Meat Boy ... only did because these games are ultra special for me and because the achievements looked doable. I usually check the achievement list first ...if I see something that is stupid/impossible i just set myself to not care.

On the other hand ... the moment I collected 900 korok seeds and got 100% in Breath of the Wild ... and nothing happened ... and i had nothing to share or put in my profile I realized that I miss this in nintendo consoles ... :(

Dorygrant

I don't actively seek out a platinum unless its basically beating the game (like Banjo Kazoie XBLA). I do like looking at them afterwards for the time keeping/stats or to see how far I got in the game if I look back. But 99% of time I'm like the other's where it surprises me when it pops up but I like having it as a passive checklist.

leng jai

The thing is a well thought out trophy list can actually add a lot to a game. Resogun always comes to mind, most of them are skill based but still realistically achievable. It's one of my few platinums. The problem I that most games have incredibly tedious or contrived achievements which are simply not fun.

I love collecting platinums, but if it's too much of a chore I just don't bother.

I usually just open a trophy guide before I start a game and if it says like 100+ hours and 3 playthroughs I decide then and there I won't bother with trophies. I'll just play through to the credits then shelve it.

muteki

I'm pretty oblivious to them.

If doing a task in game doesn't get me some practical benefit, then I am generally not interested.

Phu

Banned
I have never been an achievement obsessed gamer ... the only 100%s I have are Rare Replay (which I’m ultra proud of), Yooka Laylee, Kazooie, Tooie, Resident Evil 4 And Super Meat Boy ... only did because these games are ultra special for me and because the achievements looked doable. I usually check the achievement list first ...if I see something that is stupid/impossible i just set myself to not care.

On the other hand ... the moment I collected 900 korok seeds and got 100% in Breath of the Wild ... and nothing happened ... and i had nothing to share or put in my profile I realized that I miss this in nintendo consoles ... :(

I feel like even if Nintendo did achievements they wouldn't make one for getting all 900 Korok seeds since that doesn't seem like their point.

AlexBasch

Was gonna make a similar thread like this.

I loved getting achievements and one day the magic was gone. Now I'm asking myself why I buy games with season passes or complete editions with DLC that I never touch, but I didn't want to miss up on the trophies or whatever.

Never played the Deus Ex Mankind Divided missions, nor Evil Within or Watch Dogs 2. It's weird. I even got all my info locked out and have no people in my friend's lists, so who am I bragging that shit now to?

I'm gonna disable the notifications I guess. Played the shit out of Watch Dogs 1 story and online modes and got like 10% of the achievements, what the hell.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Trophies are fun ways to extend the length of a game that you particularly enjoy. There's just something so satisfying hearing the trophy's sound popping out.

"A game that you particularly enjoy" is an important distinction however.

alpha69

I don't understand people who obsess over trophies. They're nice to have and I definitely aim for them if I can and I have fun trying to get them. But if they're too tedious I just don't care.

I play games for the game not for the trophies.

Madao

i only have a few platinum trophies since the only games i've gotten on PS3/PS4 are easy to get platinum (in fact, at one point i did a speedrun of one of those since you could platinum it in under 3 hours)

in a way i'm glad Nintendo doesn't have this because i'd have definitely found a game that would have annoyed me there (if the Smash Bros. and Xenoblade X in-game achievement lists are anything to go by...)

Jolkien

Not sure how but you need some self control op. I like getting platinum trophy (I'm at 41 I think) but as soon as I'm bored or tired of the grind I move on to something else. I'd be so miserable otherwise

CEJames

Truly sad to see this OP. I'm a trophy hunter myself but haven't become this bad. I have done some pretty grindy trophies but I also have quite a few games that aren't 100% due to knowing the headache I'd get trying to 100% all of them. It's a case by case basis.

Overall, I can't quite say trophies have ruined the "fun" of games for me. Sometimes, there is fun just getting the trophies in general and other times, I recognize the agonizing grind needed to get a few specific ones and just have fun playing the game for the game itself instead.

Not sure how but you need some self control op. I like getting platinum trophy (I'm at 41 I think) but as soon as I'm bored or tired of the grind I move on to something else. I'd be so miserable otherwise
Completely agree. Same here. (I'm about to get my 40th :p)

Freddo

I stopped playing Yakuza Kiwami. Partly because I already know the story, but also partly because I just can't get bothered getting all the CP stuff again, it's such a chore.

Korezo

Same for me op, thats why I disabled that shit notification and made viewing my profile trophies hidden to everyone because I hate having that shit linked to my account. I just wish we had an option to opt out of it completely, so i never have to see it.

killatopak

I love trophies.

I do understand why you don't. It's not the trophy themselves I enjoy but the journey to get it.

Just do it on games you absolutely love.

Edit: Personally, I've finished SRW V 4 times already for example, I can't muster the strength to play it anymore despite loving it cause I already platinumed it despite wanting to play it more.

Video games tend to instill and reinforce obsessive tendencies and achievements as they currently exist are a horrible extension of that. I used to be a completionist before achievements existed, and during the newness of achievements I had strong compulsions to go after them even when they were monotonous BS outside of what the in-game progression considers 100%. The very fact that they're set up as this checklist to complete, instead of being, y'know, actual achievements, is a big part of that. They show you a percentage, they're a system level thing that you can't scrub off once you've stained yourself with one, I get it.

I managed to stop caring about it, the whole system of it eventually wore me down and now I just go for the interesting ones if I especially enjoy a game or something and want a means of extending playtime.

Trophies are a waste of time and energy. I just play games for fun, never tried to platinum a game, even the ones I have hundreds of hours I don't care about 100% completion, most I've got is like 78%

No they were not. It’s unfortunate when some people have obsessive/compulsive issues with them but there’s plenty of people who enjoy them without any problems.

Yea, I mean to me it is just a sign of a game I loved. Bloodborne, Rocket League, Fallout 4, Horizon Zero Dawn. I also have Walking Dead S1 but thats easy.

I enjoy Trophies / Achievements but I don't let them consume me like this. If going for the Platinum looks like it will be fun and obtainable without a ton of work I do it. I've got about 30 Platinum's currently.

But i don't care, if a trophy is annoying as shit and its going to force me to do things I wouldn't find fun in the game anyways I don't go for them. Even if I'm at like 98% completion its just not worth it to stress over. So my advice would be to still enjoy getting them, but you've got to let go of being obsessive over it. There are way too many other good games out there wanting your attention than to just slave away at some ridiculous achievement.

Also yeah, I'm playing Mario Kart 8 DX and Zelda Breath of the Wild right now and, I've got to be honest. I'm loving not having achievements there bothering me. Its nice to just play and not even think about them. Its kind of making me want to play more games on the Switch instead of my PS4 just because I seem to be enjoying myself more not caring about them.

Daouzin

I thought of a close friend of mine the moment I read the total. He has to play every game on hard to unlock the most amount of achievements as possible in his first and likely only run, however, as a result of this he has quit many games after 5-10 hours.

Try playing some games on a platform that doesn't have these for a little while. You'll realize it was still enjoyable and when you return to your other consoles, you won't care anymore. Yay.

This definitely did the trick for me. Went from 360 to PS3 and then to Steam, by the time the One came out I couldn’t care about achievements anymore.

Crayon

Are there any genres you have never tried? Maybe trying something new would be a good way to try something without the achievements on. Or something that doesn't catually have any achievements like an old game.

Freeman76

^^^

Personally, knowing that I have multiple accounts across different platforms and that my cheevos are split up anyway kinda makes them feel relatively worthless.

They are worthless even on a single account. They just appeal to people who need something to show off about.

OP if you arent having fun stop gaming. Or buy a switch.

BTA

This is the reason why, barring a few exceptions, I only go for trophies if I can reasonably achieve them.

TraBuch

Banned
I think it helps with replayability. I'm not gonna go out of my way to platinum a bad game for some weird bragging rights, but if I really enjoy a game and want to play it again, I'll check out the trophy list and keep my eye on things. I also get some satisfaction out of doing something really difficult and seeing that little icon pop up.

/shrug

RCSI

When you don't have fun with a game and find it boring and repetitive, stop playing. No need to force yourself. Save trophies/achievements for a game you have fun with.

Was trophy hungry for a time myself.

Still try to get as many trophies as i can but if theres trophies that are really hard and time consuming im not doing them anymore.

Im happy if i have a good percentage. Dont need Platinum or 100% in every game i play.

If the Platinum is easy to obtain and i really like the game i go for it but im not forcing myself anymore.

It's been said already, but you should turn off notifications for trophies/achievements.

I like trophies, but not at the expense of fun. I never play games just to earn then. If one seems to hard to get, I don't even bother.

Top Bottom