• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Space Port Gameplay

Unknown?

For a side character the gameplay seems good. Much better than the alternative gameplay in the Adventure games.

Sami+

Sega: NO, THAT'S NOT GREEN HILL ZONE
Zp9pZlS.png

Wait is this level not called Green Hill Zone? I don't get the joke lol

If Sonia Mania was the best aspects of the 2D era brought to together in spectacular fashion, Forces looks like the worst aspects of the 3D era compiled into a giant pile of sludge. Just looks so rough.

LordKasual

Banned
This is a regression from Unleashed, Generations, and even Colors.

Nothing about that stage looks exciting, and I actually enjoy modern sonic.

There are unfinished modded Generations PC stages that look more interesting

Sonic Team is creatively bankrupt. Looks like chemical plant during a different time of day.
And a cutscene in the middle of a stage?

Camjo-Z

Damn, people really have it out for this game. Only questionable part was the mid-level cutscene, which will surely get annoying on replays. Other than that it looked good.

Sami+

A rerelease of the Unleashed daytime levels would be 100 times more exciting.

I'm sending the RPCS3 team my sprit bomb energy (and 2 bucks a month) to get Sonic Unleashed running full speed on emulator one day.

One day. 🙏🙏

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Dunkley

One thing that irritates me is the stop after swinging the rope. Why they would have a full stop happen in a game that wants you to keep momentum is beyond me.

I'm sending the RPCS3 team my sprit bomb energy (and 2 bucks a month) to get Sonic Unleashed running full speed on emulator one day.

One day. ����

Or you can just mod Sonic Generations and play the daytime levels of Unleashed right now.

NotLiquid

The visuals look neat. I like the idea of a tundra-esque space station.

The game play mechanics also don't look... terrible. I like the Drill Wisp in this. It seems like it offers way more of a satisfying "oomph" in situational circumstances in contrast to the Modern Sonic's boost which desensitizes you to blistering speed and makes enemy encounters pointless.

The problem I feel is the level design. Modern Sonic's "stop and go" mentality is more apparent than ever in the Avatar's stages because they don't have the boost as a crutch. Instead you get these lanes of enemies that are ripe for the homing attack which slows down the pace tremendously. The Homing Attack is a necessity for 3D Sonic but Sega really needs to go back to the drawing board on how it works, because halting the player's momentum is never a good idea. Instead of stopping you, the homing attack should instead carry momentum forward upon a successful hit.

Also this ought to be pointed out about the cutscene - this footage has no HUD elements what-so-ever, and because of the way the game slows down at every cut during that prolonged sequence, I'm preeeetty sure the cutscene is a QTE, which would explain why it looks so slow and awkward.

Sonic Team is creatively bankrupt. Looks like chemical plant during a different time of day.
And a cutscene in the middle of a stage?

Maybe Sonic Team needs to hang up their hat and call it a day. Maybe there's game programmers out there that, like the old school ones with Mania, love the Adventure games and want to make something MORE along those lines. Maybe Sega needs to hire those guys to make a new Adventure more up to the fans liking. Only fair and it might be for the best, cause Sonic Team... DAMN!

As an old school Sonic fan, what we got with Mania is top notch. No reason the 3D fans shouldn't have something like that, but for THEM.

Sami+

Maybe Sonic Team needs to hang up their hat and call it a day. Maybe there's game programmers out there that, like the old school ones with Mania, love the Adventure games and want to make something MORE along those lines. Maybe Sega needs to hire those guys to make a new Adventure more up to the fans liking. Only fair and it might be for the best, cause Sonic Team... DAMN!

As an old school Sonic fan, what we got with Mania is top notch. No reason the 3D fans shouldn't have something like that, but for THEM.

Can confirm us Adventure babies are big kids now with full time jobs Sega please take my money

ezodagrom

It looks... fine.

All of the levels they’ve shown so far have just been so uninspired thematically. What happened to creativity they had with games like Colors and even Lost World?

Still hoping for the best...
Not just thematically, the level design is looking pretty uninspired as well.
Boostpads/automation everywhere, the rows of enemies, the stages are looking far too linear, especially the 3D sections... It's kinda like they don't know what made Generations fun and just took the bad parts from Colors (3D sections) and Lost World.

Dunkley

I did that years ago lol, I just want all of Sonic Unleashed at a playable framerate because that PS3 version I've had for 10 years really doesn't cut it.

My apologies, I picked up the wrong context from you replying to a post that said a rerelease of the Daytime Stages would be more exciting.

This is the most interesting level they've actually show so far. Which is not saying much but at least is a step up lol.

And I'm certainly on the minority by the looks of it but I'm loving all these vocal tracks.

RomanceDawn

The youtube comments must be from another dimension. But I guess Sonic Team knows their audience because those folks are eating this video up.

killroy87

It's crazy to me that anyone can think the actual moment to moment gameplay in these 3D Sonic stages looks fun. You don't even do anything! You just run either forward to the right, and kind of lock on to enemies and hit them? Everything else is automated. I have endless runners on my phone that are more mechanics heavy.

This was excusable in the Dreamcast days, when there was a veneer of theatricality going on that made the levels at least fun to watch, but even that isn't true anymore. That was just boring.

I dunno, I just don't get it.

Zalman

It's crazy to me that anyone can think the actual moment to moment gameplay in these 3D Sonic stages looks fun. You don't even do anything! You just run either forward to the right, and kind of lock on to enemies and hit them? Everything else is automated. I have endless runners on my phone that are more mechanics heavy.

This was excusable in the Dreamcast days, when there was a veneer of theatricality going on that made the levels at least fun to watch, but even that isn't true anymore. That was just boring.

They were pretty fun in Unleashed (daytime), Colors and Generations. This doesn't look fun though.

The youtube comments must be from another dimension. But I guess Sonic Team knows their audience because those folks are eating this video up.

Anything remotely critical posted there is met with the same "the game isn't out yet" and "stop judging without playing it" comments all the time. A lot of Sonic fans have been waiting for a new game since Generations, as Lost World and Boom were Nintendo-exclusive.

I can't really see the appeal in that boss battle video at all. Mania's first boss was more interesting.

Sciz

...yeah, that's it. I'm out.

Iizuka was right! This really isn't Generations 2. It's something worse.

Sami+

Anything remotely critical posted there is met with the same "the game isn't out yet" and "stop judging without playing it" comments all the time. A lot of Sonic fans have been waiting for a new game since Generations, since Lost World and Boom were Nintendo-exclusive.

I can't really see the appeal in that boss battle video at all. Mania's first boss was more interesting.

I grew up posting actively on Sonic forums all the way back when I was like 10, those particular arguments have been around as far back as I remember. Even used to parrot them myself when I didn't know better, it's kinda funny looking back lol.

Guess Who

Banned
Genuine question. Was there’s just a mass exodus of artists and talent from Sonic Team after Generations and Lost World? This game seems filled with reused assets from Generations. Do they straight up not have the budget or talent to actually make wholly new level assets?

Lost World wasn’t a great game, but man, it looks like it compared to this.

Davey Cakes

I'm totally with you. I watched this video and I just couldn't get any feeling of "I want to control this character and do these things in this level."

There's nothing about it that makes me want to take the driver's seat. The "drive" looks boring and mostly automated. I mean, it's a game likely built for speedrunning and learning the most efficient way through a course, but it just doesn't look particularly enjoyable.

Toa Axis

This may genuinely be the worst level we’ve seen yet (and that’s saying something...). Awful, awful stuff. The boss isn’t looking a whole lot better.

I’m starting to think that Sonic Team just needs to hang up their coats after this game. They’re just not good enough.

Zomba13

I liked the music here (at least in the train stage) but pretty much everything else I don't care about. Even the deviant art OC do not steal shit with a create-a-character and Infinite being the "nothing personnel kid" guy isn't enough to save this for me. And I loooooooooooove Generations. LOVE it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Eh, could be worse I guess. I miss risk taking Sonic Team though. I mean they fell on their faces a lot, but at least they tried. Sonic Team is too afraid of themselves these days.

Guys this game is strictly for the Sonic fandom that have been creating their personal sonic universe characters but have never been able to play them in a 3D Sonic game. Now they get to live out their dream. Coldsteel will be a reality.

Wildo09

I wonder if anyone thinks while seeing this gameplay (and all the other gameplay videos) "yeah this is fun"? Cause it looks like absolute trash.

This looks looks like a total fucking mess. Jesus christ this is a shame. It's so jarring, in a game ostensibly about speed and momentum to have the gameplay start and stop on a dime. Previous 3D Sonics have suffered this to various degrees but it's never been worse than this.

I liked both Colors and Generations, despite their respective flaws. I wanted to like this game, I was really rooting for Sonic Team to finally make something better than "good". However, every time they showcase this title, it seems more and more apparent they learned all the wrong lessons. It seems even more automated than before; the level design is messy and dull; the idea of introducing a character designed by the player is off-putting and the fact that it plays so differently from Sonic helps to expose some of the more "hidden" flaws in the level design (run a little bit, suddenly stop, run a little bit more, grinding halt, run, stop, run, stop, with no transition whatsoever between any of those moments - at least Sonic's boost makes things seem more... lively); the camera seems to be a nuisance. Those final moments where rows of the same enemy just pop-up waiting to be wrecked by your character are the icing on this sour cake. Who thought that was an exciting sequence? And what about that mid-level cutscene? It doesn't look cool or exciting, it's just ridiculous.

By now, I just wish Sonic Team would stop trying. It's becoming increasingly frustrating to see this franchise in this state of constant underachievement and lack of proper direction. Let Sonic Mania's team do their thing, and kill this thing.

Berordn

This looks looks like a total fucking mess. Jesus christ this is a shame. It's so jarring, in a game ostensibly about speed and momentum to have the gameplay start and stop on a dime. Previous 3D Sonics have suffered this to various degrees but it's never been worse than this.

To play devil's advocate for a second, they're showing off the character who isn't so much about speed or momentum.

But they've already proven they have no idea what they're doing with the two Sonics either.

And what about that mid-level cutscene? It doesn't look cool or exciting, it's just ridiculous.

This is more likely to be a QTE, methinks. You can hear a button prompt at the end of the sequence.

I don't think this is an improvement at all.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I liked both Colors and Generations, despite their respective flaws. I wanted to like this game, I was really rooting for Sonic Team to finally make something better than "good". However, every time they showcase this title, it seems more and more apparent they learned all the wrong lessons. It seems even more automated than before; the level design is messy and dull; the idea of introducing a character designed by the player is off-putting and the fact that it plays so differently from Sonic helps to expose some of the more "hidden" flaws in the level design (run a little bit, suddenly stop, run a little bit more, grinding halt, run, stop, run, stop, with no transition whatsoever between any of those moments - at least Sonic's boost makes things seem more... lively); the camera seems to be a nuisance. Those final moments where rows of the same enemy just pop-up waiting to be wrecked by your character are the icing on this sour cake. Who thought that was an exciting sequence? And what about that mid-level cutscene? It doesn't look cool or exciting, it's just ridiculous.

By now, I just wish Sonic Team would stop trying. It's becoming increasingly frustrating to see this franchise in this state of constant underachievement and lack of proper direction. Let Sonic Mania's team do their thing, and kill this thing.
Sonic Team did stop trying. That's why we have this game. The reception to Lost World seems to have broken their spirit.

Top Bottom