• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

F#A#Oo said:
I only need 400 points to reach rank 8 in Festival...

I have alot of bronze and silvers...

It's currently very difficult to race rank 7...

The A.I is ridiculous...I'll be on the home stretch and out of no where the A.I will get past me like he has a rocket or nitros.
As weird as it sounds, try to race using boost the least you can. You might be surprised even in the higher difficulty ranks.

ChryZ

Philanthropist said:
As weird as it sounds, try to race using boost the least you can. You might be surprised even in the higher difficulty ranks.
This never helped me.

I was usually able to win the last races by pushing really really hard, to be under the first three positions by the end of the first lap. It was almost like the AI would honor my presence there while lurking to penalize the smallest mistakes. The key it perfect execution: no crashes, cutting corners while maintaining momentum and maximizing the boost to its limit.

Goldrusher

If you're struggling at rank 5, you're doing it wrong.

The difficulty level very, very slowly increases through rank 6, then it quadruples at rank 7.
Compared to rank 7 and 8, every other race is piss easy.

Not crashing is obviously required to win at the highest ranks, even though one or two crashes shouldn't prevent you from being in the top three.

As for not boosting or abusing from it, I did manage to get silver medals in rank 8 races by doing so. I guess it requires some technique and balance.

Danielsan

crispyben said:
DLC trophies appeared 3 to 4 weeks ahead of time for Burnout Paradise...
Alright good to know. Gives me some time to finish up on some of the current ones.
Yesterday I managed to get all gold medals in Festival so now I'm finally done with that excruciating part of the game/ Hopefully I can get some online games going later tonight.

Goldrusher

BeeDog said:
Goldrusher, please take more pics. <3

Installed that enormous patch today, the one from a few weeks ago. Raced a few rank 7 tickets and made these...

rm3cba.jpg

2i6yqhl.jpg

ncgqz6.jpg

34obkhz.jpg

30urfvl.jpg

28jyy4k.jpg

vyldlk.jpg

2ahdxme.jpg

Had this one in the gallery, which I don't think I've shared. And if I have, oh well, it's a nice shot...

2d9zm13.jpg

Ploid 3.0

In motion it's more better. The sound of the plants wrapping around the vehicle as you ride through it adds to the rush as well.

motorstorm2-1.gif

Cesar

Banned
I wish Evolution Studios would give the other first party devs some lighting tips because the lighting is simply incredible. A track can look totaly different depending on the time of day. I can't wait for the new map packs and take some screens again. :)

Ploid 3.0

F#A#Oo said:
I only need 400 points to reach rank 8 in Festival...

I have alot of bronze and silvers...

It's currently very difficult to race rank 7...

The A.I is ridiculous...I'll be on the home stretch and out of no where the A.I will get past me like he has a rocket or nitros.

I deem this weekend my weekend of getting rank 8. I'm almost there, I got all but 1 gold, and this one silver race just won't allow me to get gold. I don't know why I can't settle for silver, especially in motorstorm. This weekend though, I'm going to finally try to complete all of the tickets.

I never finished motorstorm 1 because of my gold habit.

wouwie

I've gone back to playing Motorstorm 2 this weekend. Still need 600 points to finish the single player campaign. It's damn hard though.

Still, great game. One of the best looking racers around. The sense of speed in bonnet view is awesome.

Looking forward to the DLC.

SaitoH

Finally got the bug to go back to Motorstorm after completing the Burnout DLC and got my rank 8. I loved the game but have one complaint ... man are they stingy with the trophies. For completing rank 8 I got to see the credits; no unlocks, no trophy and ended up with 25% of the total trophies.

wouwie

Finally completed the single player campaign. Phew... never thought i would make it until the end. According to the stats, total playtime of 40 hours, mostly single player.

They could at least have made a cutscene or something to reward the players. When you finally finish the game, it's the credits and back to the menu. The blood, sweat and tears was't even worth a trophy, it seems.

I'm ready for the DLC :)

Dibbz

Awesome pics everyone.

So I just bought the speed expansion pack which was 500+MB and installed it. Booted up MS: PR only to find I had to update to 1.03 which is 608MB. WTF! This is going to take me over 2 hours to download and install.

Do I need the patch to play the expansion pack or can I just skip it?

Why the hell have such a big update on the day of the release of the expansion pack?! BTW I played the game the other day and was fully up to date on patches then so it's not my fault or anything.

Erebus

Dibbz said:
Awesome pics everyone.

So I just bought the speed expansion pack which was 500+MB and installed it. Booted up MS: PR only to find I had to update to 1.03 which is 608MB. WTF! This is going to take me over 2 hours to download and install.

Do I need the patch to play the expansion pack or can I just skip it?

Why the hell have such a big update on the day of the release of the expansion pack?! BTW I played the game the other day and was fully up to date on patches then so it's not my fault or anything.

Are you sure the 1.03 update was released today? There was a 600+ MB update the other day I booted up Motorstorm.

Dibbz

I played it just the other day and nothing popped up. Didn't see anything on the blog about the patch either. Unless I missed it. :|

Only 108 minutes to go now :||

EDIT: Quick search and I foudn a changelog for 1.03

*Microbadges &#8211; Secret Microbadges unlocked.
The hidden Microbadges are no longer a mystery: check them out from the Microbadges screen in your Garage.
*PlayStation Home &#8211; &#8216;Game Launching&#8217; now available.
Online races can be launched from PlayStation Home.

*Audio Settings &#8211; Preference order is now DTS followed by AC3.
DTS audio settings are automatically configured if available.
*Audio Settings &#8211; Vehicle horn volume control added.
Volume of vehicle horns can now*be adjusted using a dedicated*sliding scale.

*Garage &#8211; Competition Winners Gallery added.
A Gallery for photo competition winners can be viewed from your Garage.
*Speed Events &#8211; Gate visibility improved.
Not only are the next two gates now visible (instead of only the next one), the colour of the flares at each gate have changed to make the Speed Events a little easier: orange smoke on the left and yellow smoke on the right.
*Speed Events &#8211; Gate &#8216;passed&#8217; issue fixed.
When playing in standard definition, the issue with some gates not registering as &#8216;passed&#8217; has been fixed.
*Split-screen &#8211; 4-player Split-screen lock-up fixed.
A potential lock-up situation, occasionally caused by leaving a 4-player split-screen race, has been fixed.
*Online Racing &#8211; &#8220;Never-ending (zero lap) races&#8221; fixed.
Races will no longer begin with (and remain infinitely at) zero laps; a problem which affected various online races since Update 1.02.
*Online Racing &#8211; All 12 positions displayed in race results.
Since Update 1.02, only the top 8 positions were displayed at the end of a race. This is fixed and all 12 results are displayed at the end of the race.
*Online Rankings &#8211; Rank cap increased.
In order to alleviate the congestion at the top of the Leaderboard the rank cap has been increased.
*Online Leaderboards &#8211; Player&#8217;s stats added.
You can now view any player&#8217;s stats from any of the Leaderboards in the game, and compare them with your own.
*Online Matchmaking &#8211; &#8220;Searching for Matchmaking&#8221; screen fixed.
The &#8220;Searching for Matchmaking&#8221; message no longer overlaps, as it did in certain languages.
*Soundtrack &#8211; Track previews added.
Highlighting a track on the playlist (from the Soundtrack screen in the Options menu) will play the track.
*Soundtrack &#8211; Track details*added to Pause Screen.
The artist and song title of the track being played are displayed on the Pause Screen.

Source: http://news.absolute-playstation.com/sony/news/ps3-motorstorm-pacific-rift-1-03-patch-now-available

Game Luanching in HOME and a couple of other cool features have been added. Good patch, just wish it wasn't so damn big.

edgefusion

+1 for wanting info on the speed pack.

Can anybody give me tips for the rank 6 races? I'm finding them really hard, I seem to race a perfect race only to be totally blitzed by the AI rushing past me at unrealistic speeds on the last straight.

Erebus

edgefusion said:
+1 for wanting info on the speed pack.

Can anybody give me tips for the rank 6 races? I'm finding them really hard, I seem to race a perfect race only to be totally blitzed by the AI rushing past me at unrealistic speeds on the last straight.

And you haven't played the higher ranks yet. Motorstorm's AI is a pain in the ass.

Thrakier

DangerStepp said:
Beautiful pictures.

I can't help but feel that this game should've gotten more attention than it did.

You are correct. A big thanks to the reviewers too. MS2 has a lower average score than MS1 which is a complete fucking joke.

Dibbz

Speed pack is cool. 3 new tracks and the new single player content is good even if it just consists of time trails. Tracks are available to use online and in free race mode.

The 3 tracks are really well made and feel we polished. Looks like it's going to take a bit to learn all the shortcuts again for them. I'll take some pics tonight if I get time.

BeeDog

I'll quote myself from the PSN store with minor modifications:

BeeDog said:
Liking the Motorstorm DLC here. One of the levels is pretty boring and straightforward (Quick Sands), but the other two are good (albeit confusing as fuck at first :lol ). My favorite is "Regorged" (or whatever the fuck it's called), huge open spaces and tricky paths. One objection though is that I feel the lighting for the levels aren't up to the original standards, which is a shame. Nice integration with the game too, and the new vehicles (at least, the ones I think I can identify) are sweet as well.

SaitoH

Definitely liking the DLC tracks, especially Dark Fire Swamp.

Couple pics from the new Volcanic versions of Wildfire and Rift:

9iz0cm.jpg

2gwgljd.jpg

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
MS2 has a lower average score than MS1 which is a complete fucking joke.

this is due to two problems though - the first one was massively over-rated and the second one has been under rated.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
uh

MotorStorm online >>>>> ( million years of >>>) >>>>>>>>> MotorStorm PR online .

Motorstorm was so balanced , every type of car can win the race , here in this shit hole only Monster Truck or big rig can win , all the tracks are designed for stupid Monster Truck or big rigs , all other cars have disadvantage with them, ranked races with Monster Truck or big rig are so fucking boring and shitty since everyone know where to go ..fuck this shit .

Qwell

Been really getting back into the Motorstorm PR mood lately, and thought I would throw a few pics up. Probably my favorite arcade racer out right now, so much fun.

2a95kr7.jpg

2con7yb.jpg

2wf2u54.jpg

2mfdr29.jpg

satriales

I really like the new tracks. I took loads of photos of them but I'll just post a few from each track:

Darkfire Swamps:
MSPR_satriales_38.jpg

MSPR_satriales_33.jpg

MSPR_satriales_30.jpg

Engorged:
MSPR_satriales_11.jpg

MSPR_satriales_12.jpg

MSPR_satriales_15.jpg

Quicksands:
MSPR_satriales_24.jpg

MSPR_satriales_25.jpg

MSPR_satriales_20.jpg

Cesar

Banned
Is anyone having problems with the trophies for the speed pack? I qualified for all 6 motor speed events (they al have an helmet icon) but didn't get a trophy, the same with the 6 atv events. Am I doing something wrong?

satriales

Cesar said:
Is anyone having problems with the trophies for the speed pack? I qualified for all 6 motor speed events (they al have an helmet icon) but didn't get a trophy, the same with the 6 atv events. Am I doing something wrong?
Yes, you need to qualify and race each event. So once you've qualified you need to play the track again.

thuway

Would it be a sin to ask Sony to release this title on the PSN? :D This game + LBP + SFIV get so much rotation in my console, it isn't even funny. I might as well have them on the XMB.

No45

thuway said:
Would it be a sin to ask Sony to release this title on the PSN? :D This game + LBP + SFIV get so much rotation in my console, it isn't even funny. I might as well have them on the XMB.
I never thought I'd say this, but I'd buy most of my games from the PSN (Price shenanigans notwithstanding) given the choice. Love having Burnout Paradise always there, regardless of what's in the drive, and I think I'd play a wider variety of games if I could just pick them from the XMB.

I'm holding off getting the DLC, but I'm going to get back into this when I get my new TV (KRP-500a, seem to be like gold dust in the UK at the moment). Hopefully I'll finally get through the single player campaign, I got stuck somewhere that I just couldn't get gold and haven't played it since.

thuway

No45 said:
I never thought I'd say this, but I'd buy most of my games from the PSN (Price shenanigans notwithstanding) given the choice. Love having Burnout Paradise always there, regardless of what's in the drive, and I think I'd play a wider variety of games if I could just pick them from the XMB.

I'm holding off getting the DLC, but I'm going to get back into this when I get my new TV (KRP-500a, seem to be like gold dust in the UK at the moment). Hopefully I'll finally get through the single player campaign, I got stuck somewhere that I just couldn't get gold and haven't played it since.

Totally true. Hopefully when Sony gets smart and realizes bundles help make franchises, we could see this and LBP on every PS3 XMB sold.

Decado

OK, it seems like at the higher ranks you need eyes in the back of your head...or, you know, a rear view mirror. Is there no option to have a RV mirror (the display options in this game are pitiful)? The camera thing is useless (WAY too slow). Damned cheap vehicles we're driving if they don't have have mirrors.

This game is one of the best looking games this gen but oddly it isn't reflected in the pictures in this thread. Why is that? I went back to MS1 the other day and that still looks amazing.

Top Bottom