• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neilsen: iPad & Wii U most wanted gifts in NA, 3DS 1% point above Vita for ages 13+

braves01

Banned
Vita scraping the bottom of the 6-12 list, and winning with two other PlayStation products (Move and PSP) on the 13+ one. Too bad.

Though honestly, I'm kinda surprised that WiiU is so high, considering Nintendo's marketing efforts.

Maybe Nintendo just marketed the hell out of this on Disney and Nick on Saturday mornings and no one on GAF knows about it. Can any parents speak to Wii U's ad presence during kids' programming?

Btw, so kids want tablets 10 times more than they want 3D? Honestly, I blame lackluster newmajor releases. I think MH and AC are the only major releases on the plate

Seriously, though, maybe it's because I came from a family with five kids, but do parents actually buy kids Ipads, computers and laptops for their kids as Christmas presents?

As a twin, I was able to push the boat and we got a Playstation to share between us (this was also a present for my third brother, as we got a PS1 and so didn't have to play his N64); we later also got a Xbox 360 split between us.

One year I got a Gamecube.
Also gameboys for our birthday and DS's.

I would never ask for an iPad its too fucking expensive; and is a personal device.
My parents would never get us it to share (lololol) and we'd never want one to share.

Do remember though that iPad is under 50% so its not a norm, and a good few of those kids won't get what they want.
I consider most of the 'expensive'/'big' presents treats every few years and was really very fortunate to get treated as such.

Expectations are a big thing though. So many people buy these objects as the norm. It becomes the norm I suppose.
But the very young kids will have no idea about those prices.

Kaizer

Banned
It's crazy to think kids have and want smartphone and tablets. My mom teaches 3rd Grade and says her students are always showing her crazy games on their iPhones during school field trips or recess.

Advertising? Hype? Seeing adults and older kids with them?

Don't you remember being 6?

I do and all i wanted buckaroo, lego, monopoly, operation, water guns and shit like that.

Moustaches and Polaroid cameras were the in thing back in my early years but I didn't want one of those!

Ranger X

I am not surprised at all. Nintendo might simply know what they are doing. They hit with the WiiU right in the middle of the most popular time for tablets. And oh surprise! It's a console with a tablet-like controller!

No seriously, those stats are a given imo.

Maybe Nintendo just marketed the hell out of this on Disney and Nick on Saturday mornings and no one on GAF knows about it. Can any parents speak to Wii U's ad presence during kids' programming?

My daughter only watches Netflix Kids. So no ads. I did see multiple Batman Wii U ads during Monday Night Football last night, though.

Btw, so kids want tablets 10 times more than they want 3D? Honestly, I blame lackluster newmajor releases. I think MH and AC are the only major releases on the plate

Blame the idiotic pricing structure of games. My daughters know the difference between 1 single 40 dollar game, and the ability to buy numerous cheaper iOS titles that she'll have just as much fun with. That's one of the biggest factors in she and her friends not giving a crap about dedicated handhelds. Also all the other apps play a big part.

FinKL

Every year this is posted and every year Apple products top the list which boogles my mind. When I was a kid, I always wanted a gaming console then games.

Izick

It's crazy to think kids have and want smartphone and tablets. My mom teaches 3rd Grade and says her students are always showing her crazy games on their iPhones during school field trips or recess.

Forever known as the "Hunched" generation.

RM8

On one hand, you can say "lol, more kids want a 3DS than a Vita". On the other hand, you also can say "lol, more adults want a 3DS than a Vita too" even if marginally. And then, a metric ton of kids want an iPad. Maybe it's time for people to stop using the "it's for kids lol" thing as a negative trait.

Not surprised at all. And people back in the day probably said the same thing about you when you were kids wanting N64s and PS1s. Generations will continue to get more and more technologically savvy. Most people's grandparents probably can't even work a computer.

Darryl

Banned

need to get an audio feed straight from the playground

Kids today must be in heaven with all the shit they have at their disposal for entertainment

high-tech consoles
ipads
iphones
probably some insane remote control cars and action figures

On the other hand they're probably spending a lot less time outside and staying physically active

Forever known as the "Hunched" generation.
Yup

entremet

Every year this is posted and every year Apple products top the list which boogles my mind. When I was a kid, I always wanted a gaming console then games.

The Internet is a big competing factor with gaming. It's all an attention economy. I think games are gonna have it rough when this generation grows up.

Nintendo trolling dem kids hard. They don't know what they're getting themselves into.

Good games? Kids don't give a shit about consoles warz nonsense. They want the latest Mario and if they can get Call of Duty/whatever on said console than they want it. I've always thought the Wii U would do great this holiday, and continue to do well in a yonger demo.

That's what was said about 2D Mario. It changed nothing. Perhaps Pokemon will do the trick, though.

Pokemon has proven to be a consistent system seller for the last 16 years. 2d Mario games were (and still are honestly) big, but they probably won't sell 25 million copies again now that the "new" ness factor of them being back is over.

So this chart is telling me that Kids 6-12 are less interested in a Vita than they are a PSP.

I'm actually more interested in a head count of the 6-7 years olds who voted for a PSP considering it's older than they are.

Bumhead

Banned
Apple TV am cry.

Seriously, though, maybe it's because I came from a family with five kids, but do parents actually buy kids Ipads, computers and laptops for their kids as Christmas presents?

I think that sort of stuff sounds worse than it is.

Previously the Idea of asking for an iPad for Christmas as a child would have sounded mental to me. But then I remember that every once in a while, I did get a larger Christmas gift, including £300+ games consoles. Not every year, but it did happen.

An iPad can be bought for £269 nowadays. I really don't think the idea of getting an iPad for Christmas is as ridiculous as some on here seem to be suggesting. You can get an iPad for less than the Wii U and the long term cost of the games is probably far, far more cost effective for kids and parents than buying Wii U games is.

I dont see why that dempgraphic would even want a ipad at all...

I seriously dont get it. Is it a status thing?

No, it's a reading ebooks, watching netflix, browsing the web, video chatting with friend, playing games, etc thing.

Asking for a Wii U for Xmas is far more expensive than asking for an iPad Mini.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's what was said about 2D Mario. It changed nothing. Perhaps Pokemon will do the trick, though.

TBF though, Pokemon is the only consistent handhld game I know that made an impact in the school yard. Sure you may on the odd occasionally see someone play mario, but when people were playing pokemon shit was an event. (of course anecedotal from the red and blue days, and more recently black and white).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No, it's a reading ebooks, watching netflix, browsing the web, video chatting with friend, playing games, etc thing.

Asking for a Wii U for Xmas is far more expensive than asking for an iPad Mini.

Not really if your talking about Basic. especially consider a new version may not come out around the corner.

Who knows it just launched.. Nsmb sold for the entire lifetime of ds

Yeah, Nintendo games do that. In other threads though people claimed that just by releasing NSMB2 the 3DS would take off into the stratosphere. Didn't happen. I'm not remotely surprised that it didn't happen, nor will I be surprised when all is said and done that NSMB2 is one of the best sellers on the 3DS.

Not really if your talking about Basic. especially consider a new version may not come out around the corner.

329 for iPad. Games and apps are mostly free or 99 cents. 300 minimum for Wii U. Then you need games. And extra controllers if you want friends to play. iPad is a much cheaper option for me as the parent. And my daughter knows that asking for a 60 dollar games means she's not getting much else. Value is a factor that weighs on a kid's decision.

jmls1121

Banned
Vita scraping the bottom of the 6-12 list, and winning with two other PlayStation products (Move and PSP) on the 13+ one. Too bad.

Though honestly, I'm kinda surprised that WiiU is so high, considering Nintendo's marketing efforts.

Nintendo is an institution amongst the kiddies.

Izick

An iOS or Android device is actually a great learning tool that's also used widely in the accessibility arena.

That's why they're buying them. To make them smarter!

Yeah, but in all seriousness -7% of children on that list want an iPad because it's a "great learning tool."

iPads are status symbols for kids? I haven't met kids like that. They want them for all the cool shit that they can do, not because they can show them off.

Bumhead

Banned

Not sure what the prices are like in the US, but in the UK the iPad mini only costs £19 more than the basic Wii U. Factor in the cost of 1 Wii U game and the Wii U is a more expensive proposition.

VanWinkle

Neither my daughter nor any of her friends give a d*** about Mario and Nintendo (6-8 year olds). They want two things - a 360 to play Minecraft on (just Minecraft, nothing else), and an iPad Mini. My how things change.

Okay, this is insane. I thought it was just my experience. In the past week, both my nephew and my friend's daughter said they wanted a 360 for Christmas to play Minecraft. What on earth? When did this Minecraft for kids on 360 craze happen? I must be completely oblivious to this stuff because it threw me completely off guard.

Izick

iPads are status symbols for kids? I haven't met kids like that. They want them for all the cool shit that they can do, not because they can show them off.

I'm not saying it's the major reason why, I'm just saying it's a big reason. Also, how many kids do you really talk to on a regular basis, and do you honestly think they'd tell you they want one as a status symbol, if asked?

Okay, this is insane. I thought it was just my experience. In the past week, both my nephew and my friend's daughter said they wanted a 360 for Christmas to play Minecraft. What on earth? When did this Minecraft for kids on 360 craze happen? I must be completely oblivious to this stuff because it threw me completely off guard.

A.) All their friends are playing it
B.) Everyone they know has an Xbox/easier to have the Xbox/hooked up to the big screen/etc.

All damn summer. Alllllll damn summer all I heard in my house was that stupid Minecraft music along with my daughter and her friends laughing and building stuff. Then those kids wanted 360s of their own so they could play together but have their own screens. So they're getting them for Xmas. Microsoft are a bunch of idiots for not putting together a cool Minecraft 360 Holiday Bundle this year.

I'm not saying it's the major reason why, I'm just saying it's a big reason. Also, how many kids do you really talk to on a regular basis, and do you honestly think they'd tell you they want one as a status symbol, if asked?

About 10-15 kids. They're not wearing them around their necks on chains, no. As far as I can tell, they want them for what they can do. An iPad in bed for reading and watching Netflix is a big deal to my daughter. She's not using it to compete with her friends...unless its in Draw Something.

braves01

Banned

It's been a while since I've been a "kid," but there were definitely kids that loved to show off and brag about their new stuff.

All damn summer. Alllllll damn summer all I heard in my house was that stupid Minecraft music along with my daughter and her friends laughing and building stuff. Then those kids wanted 360s of their own so they could play together but have their own screens. So they're getting them for Xmas. Microsoft are a bunch of idiots for not putting together a cool Minecraft 360 Holiday Bundle this year.

Why isn't this out for PS3? Exclusivity or something? I bet it would be really fun on Wii U at some point...

It's been a while since I've been a "kid," but there were definitely kids that loved to show off and brag about their new stuff.

Why isn't this out for PS3? Exclusivity or something? I bet it would be really fun on Wii U at some point...

My guess is that would be an iPhone if anything. My daughters not allowed to take her electronics out of the house/yard. I do see her friends comparing phones, and that is very status-y. None of that walk around with tablets though.

Microsoft moneyhatted it. And yes, it would be a perfect Wii U title. 6 million sold already on XBLA. Just incredible. Not sure how long MS has it exclusively, but Nintendo should do all it can to get it.

Top Bottom