• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XSEED cancels Grand Knights History (PSP)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This is really unfortunate. Grand Knights History is damn good. It would have had an amazing online community in the states. It's really a waste.

It's kind of weird that an online heavy RPG would never get released in the states.

Truth101

Banned
Damn, I didn't think XSEED would be the type of publisher to cancel a game such as this.

It is most likely on Vanillaware.

Yeah....I'm going to go with no on that one :

1806452-dragons_crown_dwarf_01_super.jpg

1806454-dragons_crown_fighter_01.jpg

but hey, art is subjective...

Would you feel better if I said the women in the game look disproportionately hideous?

Eusis

Yes, Atlus picked it up. But it's now a 2013 title.
Yeah, that makes its release MORE solid than it was just a few months ago if anything.

It's a bit of a shame, but it seemed likely (or at least a cancellation of the UMD release) given how busy Vanillaware was, and it sounded like a thing I, and likely many others that follow Xseed's releases, wouldn't have really enjoyed that much anyway.

1. Xseed was the original company contracted to bring Muramasa to the Wii in the US. Cancelled and subsequently brought over by Ignition in a poorly received localization.

I've only played about an hour-and-a-half of Muramasa so obviously I haven't seen everything the game has to offer, but what's wrong with the localization? Seems fine to me.

Siren 2 was announced for localization by SCEA. Never happened.

This kind of cancellation is the worst of all. Like GKH, all the work was already done!

I fully support the mysterious leaking of the translation files in situations like this.

Blondie

Neo Member
Goddammit, I was so looking forward to this! Another awesome looking game placed into the "I hope this gets translated some day" pile... ;_;

I don't think it's even a question. The localization was done. They were waiting on Vanillaware, and they haven't responded, so XSeed moved on.

Unfortunate, but totally understandable.

Undestandable on XSeed's side, anyway; pretty embarrassing on Vanillaware's.

Bummer that this went down, despite my active disinterest in the title; every lost localization sucks, and every developer who can't be bothered to work effectively with their overseas partners is one more nail in the coffin of future English releases for Japanese niche titles. :/

Aw man, this stinks. I was really looking forward to this. :(

Can Atlus swoop in and save the day?

At least Dragon's Crown is coming although it's a long wait for it.

I've only played about an hour-and-a-half of Muramasa so obviously I haven't seen everything the game has to offer, but what's wrong with the localization? Seems fine to me.
I'm not an expert, but my understanding was that the localization was bland, overly literal, and lacking in context. Someone can correct me if wrong. Ignition did not have good reputation around here for their localizations.

cj_iwakura

I'm not an expert, but my understanding was that the localization was bland, overly literal, and lacking in context. Someone can correct me if wrong. Ignition did not have good reputation around here for their localizations.

Pretty much. From my cursory knowledge of Japanese, it was a cliff's notes translation, if that. Muramasa deserved better.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If Vanillaware wasn't able to devote the resources to doing it for XSeeD, I don't think they would suddenly be able to dig up the resources to do it for us.

Maybe if you spread around a bit of DAT ATLUS money...

Can't say I'm too broken up about this one. Maybe it'll find new life on a different platform in the future, who is to say?

hongcha

I know a lot of people were looking forward to this, but take consolation in this: the Japanese version is a pretty mediocre game. It looks gorgeous, but there's little substance or appealing storyline to go along with the great graphics. I couldn't finish the game, it was just too blah. It fills the bargain bins here in Japan.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but repeatingly betraying fans' expectations (no tits sc tc........) and even going back on an announcement after hyping it.... Well those are The things that alienates your fanbase...

If Vanillaware wasn't able to devote the resources to doing it for XSeeD, I don't think they would suddenly be able to dig up the resources to do it for us.
Remember when there was talk of Vanillaware doing versions of Muramasa and Odin Sphere for the PS3 and 360? That would have gone well!

I don't want to sound too harsh, but repeatingly betraying fans' expectations (no tits sc tc........) and even going back on an announcement after hyping it.... Well those are The things that alienates your fanbase...
What would you suggest Xseed do? Sue Vanilliaware to force them to work on the game? Go bankrupt to bring over a 2 UMD game for a dead system? You can't lose track of the business aspects, or you die like many a company has done this generation.

Sorry for the double post.

Foffy

Banned
I know it's unrelated, but how likely is it we're going to see Type-0 localized? ):

It's a damn shame the state of the PSP, to be honest. There isn't even enough of a fan community for translating these kinds of games, either...

M-PG71C

X-SEED is still good in my book. Shit happens, its a shame we won't see this game in English but I'll move on. It seems a bit too online focused for my tastes anyway.

Gungnir and Growlanser will be my last PSP games and I have both on pre-order. Of course, its very likely that they may be the last PSP games period.

This kind of cancellation is the worst of all. Like GKH, all the work was already done!

I fully support the mysterious leaking of the translation files in situations like this.

Very true. But given that the first game pretty much sat on shelves, it's possible that retailers refused to buy it from Sony

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Unfortunate, though I'm not surprised. Plus weren't there impressions that this was a mediocre game?

Anyway, XSeeD is still good to me. The ones that sucked now are Ignition and Nicalis.

Excuse me for being uninformed, what's tits?

Trails in the Sky.

I know a lot of people were looking forward to this, but take consolation in this: the Japanese version is a pretty mediocre game. It looks gorgeous, but there's little substance or appealing storyline to go along with the great graphics. I couldn't finish the game, it was just too blah. It fills the bargain bins here in Japan.

I disagree. Yes, the single player is just kind of there, but the whole game is based around the online play which is ridiculously cool.

Single player exists only as a training ground for your squads.

Eusis

Unfortunate, but I think most people saw this coming, especially after the Dragon's Crown delay.
Well, it was this or that the delay and change of hands actually freed up programmers while new deals were ironed out. Obviously this time it ended up being the former.

To be honest, this sounds like a game that should've been held back to be a Vita game, or possibly even made into an iOS game. Asynchronous online play, and a game devoted primarily to that? Seems like it would've been a perfect fit on those devices, and on the Vita's screen or the Retina display the visuals (assuming higher quality assets existed) would look that much nicer.

Bukana

We're not. :) But yeah, given how incessantly delayed the game was, this was becoming more and more inevitable with each passing day. It really is a shame, too, as the game is quite good -- it would've been very nice to see it released (and to see my translations used for it!).

Needless to say, though, it's true. Sorry, guys! We tried! Normally, when something falls through, it happens BEFORE we announce it (which is why we typically wait so long to announce our games)... but this is one of those unfortunate situations where the problems didn't arise until after the announcement was made.

Thank you all for standing behind us, though, and I truly am sorry that we had to do this. Believe me when I say it sucks just as much for us as it does for you.

-Tom

dqNHD.jpg

Eusis

That actually makes me wonder if complications arose and required more man power, and they figured hey, no problem, we'll spare a guy when Dragon's Crown is done!

... then THAT has difficulties, and gets taken over by Atlus with a much delayed release, and suddenly it's looking much more impractical.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
That actually makes me wonder if complications arose and required more man power, and they figured hey, no problem, we'll spare a guy when Dragon's Crown is done!

... then THAT has difficulties, and gets taken over by Atlus with a much delayed release, and suddenly it's looking much more impractical.

From the look of things Dragon's Crown was never ever in the position of being done anytime soon and always had problems. It's just that the PR people of Ignition giving false promises.

Eusis

From the look of things Dragon's Crown was never ever in the position of being done anytime soon and always had problems. It's just that the PR people of Ignition giving false promises.
Well, I could see Vanillaware rushing to meet deadlines and telling Xseed that's when they'll be available, but it was completely unreasonable to meet, so Ignition gives up and Atlus swoops in to save it. Or Ignition shops around because they don't want to deal with that game anymore, whichever.

wrowa

Well, I guess Xseed will never touch a Vanillaware game again, lol. First Marvelous shows them the middle finger with Muramasa and now they are being screwed over by Vanillaware personally.

I wonder if they get some kind of compensation at least. They probably already invested a few bugs into the project...

It was pretty inevitable though. A shame since GKH looked really interesting ... Dragons Crown on the other hand not so much.

Top Bottom