• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senior Game Designer on Metroid Prime/DKCR leaves Retro to join id Software

Shikamaru Ninja said:
I would say they are as much a part of Nintendo as Nintendo of America. Working for EAD is another level. You are talking about 27 years and maybe two turnovers??? Maybe?

Granted, Japanese work culture (i.e, the "job for life" culture) has never really applied elsewhere.

Will Nintendo ever create a new IP with a budget the size of a Mario Galaxy or console Zelda?

I find it incredibly surprising that they haven't attempted something like this since the SNES days with StarFox and F-Zero.

Jackano

I like how people have short memory. This news is like "bad Nintendo eat western dev creativity so they left Retro".
Well, look at what Rareware became without Nintendo.

Codeblue

TekkenMaster said:
Will Nintendo ever create a new IP with a budget the size of a Mario Galaxy or console Zelda?

I find it incredibly surprising that they haven't attempted something like this since the SNES days with StarFox and F-Zero.

Pikmin on the GCN. Xenoblade on the Wii. Granted the last one didn't make it to a territory but it meets the criteria you outlined (high budget new ip).

Codeblue said:
Pikmin on the GCN. Xenoblade on the Wii. Granted the last one didn't make it to a territory but it meets the criteria you outlined (high budget new ip).

Pikmin doesn't have nearly the budget or R&D level of a new console Mario or Zelda. Asset-wise it's just a lot smaller.

And I doubt Xenoblade does either, although it looks like a great game.

I think Retro would be absolutely perfect to create a new big budget IP for Nintendo. Something really original and unexpected.

TheExplodingHead said:
Here's some food for thought and something I've been wondering since DKCR's release...who's idea do you guy's wager it was to force waggle into DKCR? Who do you think pushed the idea of no control options or CC support? I find it hard to believe looking at the Prime titles that was Retro's grand idea... If I had been a senior head there that alone would have irked me to see a near perfect control/game design be undermined by Nintendo's obsession with forcing motion into the game, and not allowing an option to turn it off. Just saying...

But here's an idea, if Nintendo is indeed having Retro do DKCR2, hire Team Meat (with a great salary and budget) to replace Wikan and Pearson. For a platformer, they'd be superior senior designers (controls and level design) to Wikan and Pearson. And also get Danny Baranowsky in there too for good measure, him and Yamamoto doing a joint OST would be the best OST of all-time imo.

Seemed to be pretty obvious in the Iwata asks that it was Nintendo Japan that forced the pointless waggle in. They even talked about Tom Ivey, now the only senior designer left there, being very much against waggle being put in, but in the end the wishes of the senior designer can't compare to what someone in Japan feels like putting into the game.

Very much doubt the Team Meat would be a good fit for senior leadership roles in a large game studio. They are do it themselves kind of guys, just expecting to mesh with an established team instantly, let alone be in charge of a large chunk of that team, would be a bad bet.

Nessus

Obviously it would suck having all your projects dictated to you, especially after you probably felt that you'd proved yourself by creating some of the most well-regarded games in recent times.

But fact is Retro is Nintendo.

Don't take a job there if you don't want to make Nintendo games.

I hope Retro can continue to make games I like, I've bought every one they've released so far.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RiotPelaaja said:
Based on what I've seen and played of Rage (and most other journos too), iD needs design help bigtime.

they need it since 1996. not news.

Forever

Banned
I wish they would produce more than one game at a time.

After the inevitable DKCR trilogy let them do what they want. Like that Zelda spinoff or whatever.

JasonUresti said:
Seemed to be pretty obvious in the Iwata asks that it was Nintendo Japan that forced the pointless waggle in. They even talked about Tom Ivey, now the only senior designer left there, being very much against waggle being put in, but in the end the wishes of the senior designer can't compare to what someone in Japan feels like putting into the game.

Very much doubt the Team Meat would be a good fit for senior leadership roles in a large game studio. They are do it themselves kind of guys, just expecting to mesh with an established team instantly, let alone be in charge of a large chunk of that team, would be a bad bet.

Perhaps you're right, it was more of a personal wishful thinking example than anything else. But then again all of the issues that plagued Meat Boy would be non-existent in a Team Meat/Retro game, namely technical, crunch time and budget issues. So I don't know for a platformer I don't think anyone could beat Edmund and Tommy with that kind of budget and team support. Although I'd assume they wouldn't leave the indie scene for Retro realistically.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still don't get why people are up and arms though - stuff like this happens, yet at the same time this doesn't mean quality will wane on the remnants.

Gummb said:
SPD_Cruger.jpg

EDIT -- According to Wiki: Despite days of constant fighting, Space Patrol Delta was defeated and every single Nintendo employee except for "Doggie" was wiped out. Despite the fall of Retro Studios, SPD survived in the form of other planetary branches and a new central Galaxy Command under Iwata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Patrol_Delta

Conclusion: Iwata killed Retro.

Edit 2 -- Notice how Metroid Prime was released the year Iwata took control, and ever since, more and more employees keep leaving. D:

I prefer the Japanese version - he's hotter and voiced by Tetsu Inada.

AniHawk

making good platformers is hard.

unfortunately, i think spd's extreme supervision really shined through with dkcr in particular. so much shit in that game.

Prine

Banned
Cant help but think MS/id focus on bleeding edge tech must have contributed heavily on their decision to move. The next Xbox is going to be a beast (speculation) compared to WiiU, and id software being responsible for setting benchmarks for PC, giving these designers greater potential for their creations.

AniHawk

Prine said:
Cant help but think MS/id focus on bleeding edge tech must have contributed heavily on their decision to move. The next Xbox is going to be a beast (speculation) compared to WiiU, and id software being responsible for setting benchmarks for PC, giving these designers greater potential for their creations.

i think it has to do more with nintendo keeping western devs on an extremely tight leash. nst was reduced to the mario vs dk and dsiware apps guys. other studios were either let go or no long do business with nintendo (like the battalion wars guys). retro's probably been a consistent concern ever since ravenblade and all their other games were canceled. from the sound of it, there wasn't much trust going around before the development of dkcr, and considering attitudes in interviews and judging certain aspects of the final product, the development of dkcr was done to please the higher-ups at ncl, especially guys like miyamoto.

i don't think the type of thinking is limited to nintendo, either.

[Nintex]

Well, it seems like another exodus happened at Retro when we look at their job listings:

http://www.retrostudios.com/careers.asp

They were looking to staff up earlier for Wii U that much is true but they've since added positions such as design manager, artist lv 3, engineering lv 3 etc. some positions are already filled though.

[Nintex] said:
Well, it seems like another exodus happened at Retro when we look at their job listings:

They were looking to staff up earlier for Wii U that much is true but they've since added positions such as design director, lead artist, engineering director etc. some positions are already filled though.

Oh joy. I take it that we won't be seeing their next solo made game (no Mario Kart 7 doesn't count) for another 2 years then :(

[Nintex] said:

They were looking to staff up earlier for Wii U that much is true but they've since added positions such as design director, lead artist, engineering director etc. some positions are already filled though.

So... they can't just hire more staff?
It has to have been an "exodus"?

Your doommongering is getting old, man.

Shiggy

[Nintex] said:

I can't find those positions there?

[Nintex]

Shiggy said:
I can't find those positions there?
Seems like I misread some stuff, as a mistook this: "Reporting Structure: Engineering Director" for the type of job due to their horrible site lay-out. I asked my brother who's in the gaming biz and he said those are still some pretty high ranking positions overall.

AceBandage said:
So... they can't just hire more staff?
It has to have been an "exodus"?

Your doommongering is getting old, man.

Given the circumstances with what happened last time with Mark Pachini and Armature, it's likely that the same thing could've happened again.

Jackano said:
I like how people have short memory. This news is like "bad Nintendo eat western dev creativity so they left Retro".
Well, look at what Rareware became without Nintendo.
They made Viva Pinata, Kameo, and Banjo, three games far, far better than the forced IP disaster of Star Fox Adventures?

dwu8991

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Granted, Japanese work culture (i.e, the "job for life" culture) has never really applied elsewhere.

Not entirely true. Greece has the same "job for life" culture without the productivity!

Erethian

ShockingAlberto said:
I believe this is explicitly why Iwata said they don't buy studios.

They expect them to work like other parts of Nintendo, but cultural barriers prevent that from being ideal, so all the creative types leave.

It's not even an East/West thing either. Iwata has said the only circumstances under which Nintendo would buy a studio was if they were acquiring IP, or they didn't expect the major people in the dev team to leave in the near future.

In terms of this specific departure, it's all part of working for a platform holder, though Nintendo probably exerts more control than most.

I think Retro as a studio will be fine, maybe even better depending on who Nintendo adds as replacements. I just don't want to see them deteriorate into a Rare situation due to all talent jumping ship (this time due to Nintendo being so anal about everything).

But all eye's should be on Retro's next project to see if it can equal or surpass past products. If not, than I think it's obvious the lose of talent was a contributing factor. DKCR2 has all the ingredients to be the one of the best platformers ever made, lets see if Retro can do it...and bring Dave Wise back, Yamamoto is best suited to the ambient stuff in Metroid.

_Alkaline_ said:
He's right on that count. SFA was ass. Those three were good games.
SFA was a solid experience from start to finish. Kameo was a mishmash of tired and poorly conceived ideas and Banjo was a disaster. VP was a good game but it's not really comparable to SFA.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I doubt Dinosaur Planet would have been good even if it didn't have the Star Fox skin it.

But Rare already permanently damaged Star Fox with the shit called Krystal.

mclem

DragonKnight said:
Edit: Another prime example of nintendo really holding their own studios back. Yeah the games are great but they could also be something far greater

They could also be something far worse, of course. It's not a one-way thing.

nincompoop said:
SFA was a solid experience from start to finish. Kameo was a mishmash of tired and poorly conceived ideas and Banjo was a disaster. VP was a good game but it's not really comparable to SFA.

SFA was a terribly mediocre game filled with tedious fetch-quests and stale puzzles. It's critical reception at the time was elevated by its (superb) production values.

Kameo was brief and not nearly explored to its full potential, but remains an audiovisual showcase as well as one of the few games of its type to exist on a modern platform. It's also fun to play, which is more than I can say for SFA.

I can't agree that Banjo was a disaster. Certainly a miscommunication between the studio and the fans, and while the concept is novel and solid, some of the time its delivered in ways that either frustrate or underwhelm. However, it also breaches relatively foreign ground. There's an experience to be had in Nuts and Bolts that you can't really get from many other games, and when it does things right, it's a pretty great experience.

Top Bottom