• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix RPGs on sale on North American PSN

blackjaw

What is it? I know literally nothing about the series, other than that it involves mechs. Lots of love for it in this thread. What's good about it? How does it play? I'm curious.

Picked up FFIV Complete Collection. Never played the After Years stuff, and been thinking about replaying IV for some time. Put a couple of hours in already, and I'm in love with the game again.

FM3 plays like FF Tactics but you can target individual parts on mechs as well as upgrade those parts. It's fun to dual wield machine guns and destroy an enemy mechs legs so he can't move then snipe him with another mech just outside of his attack range.

TehOh

FM3 plays like FF Tactics but you can target individual parts on mechs as well as upgrade those parts. It's fun to dual wield machine guns and destroy an enemy mechs legs so he can't move then snipe him with another mech just outside of his attack range.

Sounds interesting. I do like SRPGs. Will check it out, thanks!

Sez

One question for FFX/X-2 HD Vita owners:

¿Can I play the games on a 4gb memory card? I don't care about only playing one game at the time and deleting the first to play the second, but i have no idea if it's possible.

I'll get that FF: Tactics remake on PSP. Don't own one but I feel the urge to get a Vita after the holidays.

I own Vagrant Story and have a copy of 12 so maybe I'll get into Ivalice. I should play at least one Final Fantasy.

Ninjimbo

So how good is FM3? I'm a fan of FM1 and FM4 but I never got a chance to play FM3 because I never had a PS1. Just reading the description of it though, it sounds really good.

What's the consensus?

What is it? I know literally nothing about the series, other than that it involves mechs. Lots of love for it in this thread. What's good about it? How does it play? I'm curious.

It's a grid based tactical RPG with mechs where you can capture enemy mechs, gut their parts and use them to customize other mechs or build new ones (you can visually see your mechs change and customize their colors and moves, etc). The setting is a gritty pseudo-cyberpunk future with lots of cool fictional military design and atmosphere. The music and art direction are top-notch. FM3 has a branching story with 2 different paths and both are a pretty good length. I'd personally put it in the top 5 of Square's PSone output. I'm biased of course but it really is good.

inner-G

Banned
I already own FFVII and FFIX, and I just bought FFT War of the Lions, but are the other games recommended? I've heard bad things about the PS1 Versions of FFV and VI (and Chrono Trigger), and just bad things about VIII in general. I already have FF-X HD so that's covered. Is Chrono Cross good? I haven't played Chrono Trigger yet. Overall should I bite the bullet on any of these or not?
Chrono Trigger is great but the SNES/VC/DS versions are better

TehOh

It's a grid based tactical RPG with mechs where you can capture enemy mechs, gut their parts and use them to customize other mechs or build new ones (you can visually see your mechs change and customize their colors and moves, etc). The setting is a gritty pseudo-cyberpunk future with lots of cool fictional military design and atmosphere. The music and art direction are top-notch. FM3 has a branching story with 2 different paths and both are a pretty good length. I'd personally put it in the top 5 of Square's PSone output. I'm biased of course but it really is good.

Yep, I'm convinced. :D

nbthedude

Has anyone tried ChronoTrigger on the Vita with this "fast loading" option? I want to know if it is worth it. I've never actually played through the game but I don't know if I could handle long load times constantly.

Is Final Fantasy Origins as crap as the other SNES-to-PS1 ports?

That is good to hear, because honestly the difference according to the comparison tool...damned drastic. PS3 looks much better than Vita if you are going by their shots.

I saw that comparison before even touching the god damn game and I was surprised when I started it and it looked not even close to how the DF analysis makes it look.

That is good to hear, because honestly the difference according to the comparison tool...damned drastic. PS3 looks much better than Vita if you are going by their shots.
Looks pretty awful in the comparison, but the game looks fantastic in motion on the Vita. And suspend/resume makes it perfect for portable. Get bored grinding? Turn it off in the middle of a battle and come back to it tomorrow.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
One question for FFX/X-2 HD Vita owners:

¿Can I play the games on a 4gb memory card? I don't care about only playing one game at the time and deleting the first to play the second, but i have no idea if it's possible.

Each game is 3.3 GB-ish IIRC so it should be possible.

I don't know the maximum capacity for a 4 GB card though, considering how the 64 GB card offers only 59 GB.

I bought FFVIII, but I'm playing on Vita and having issue where the game doesn't recognize when I press X to continue dialogue or make a selection. I thought maybe it was the vita itself but I booted up two other games and had no issues. Anyone who's played FF8 on Vita know what's up?

Just started up IX. Looks fantastic when I play through my small CRT. Having no qualms with the battle speed, either. Beautiful game. Bought VI a few weeks ago for full price and I have no regrets. Loading times were fine, and it's still my favorite out of the entire series.

I'll probably say 'screw it' and finish off the rest of my FF collection on the PS3. Having completed VII and VIII on Steam within the past year, I don't think I'll be running off to play those. I do, however, want V and Origins will be nice since I don't have Dawn of Souls.

B.K.

I bought FFVIII, but I'm playing on Vita and having issue where the game doesn't recognize when I press X to continue dialogue or make a selection. I thought maybe it was the vita itself but I booted up two other games and had no issues. Anyone who's played FF8 on Vita know what's up?

I've had that problem before. I think that the problem is that you're accidentally hitting the trackpad on the back of the Vita and it's triggering the shoulder buttons and isn't registering the X button.

Ninjimbo

OK, maybe I should do it this way. As someone who loved Chrono Cross, should I go with FF 9 or 8?
As someone who loves CC, don't go into FFIX expecting anything like CC. Where CC is wild and imaginative, FFIX is dull and generic. It might sound a bit too harsh, but I played both games back to back a long time ago. No doubt in my mind that CC left the stronger impression. People aren't kidding when they describe FFIX as a throwback. It's totally trying to be that. If you're sick of that though, FFIX will offer you nothing except Freya and a few good Uematsu tracks.

It's a very disappointing game.

It's a very disappointing game.

Ugh no. FF9 is one of the best out there. Obviously, it failed to deliver for you, but the game as a whole is without a doubt one of the best in the series. You are right though, it is a throwback which is one of the reasons it is universally loved. I wish we would get a more traditional FF again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Picked up FFIV Complete Collection. Never played the After Years stuff, and been thinking about replaying IV for some time. Put a couple of hours in already, and I'm in love with the game again.

It's a tactical-RPG. You play as Kazuki Takemura
and you are a test pilot for the infamous Wanzers. You have a good friend Ryogo and you team up with him to do all sorts of job related tasks and the plot keeps getting thicker. There's also two campaigns, one after you finish the first. You can customize your Wanzers with all kinds of parts that swap out for battle. The game takes you on a terrific journey. You'll strategically place your units and you'll have to work hard or you'll get crushed. It's mostly towns, you arent moving your guy, you're moving the menu to talk to people, but it flows very well along the way. This is at Square's prime for whoever cares.
I really enjoyed it. I don't think Square has done anything real great FM wise, since FM3.
You get to pick moves like missiles, guns, punching, etc (depending on how you make your Wanzer). You plan out your attack during battle and you watch as the enemy or you (the player) take off damage from the different Wanzer or other mech's body parts. Like I'll destroy this guy's arm so he can't use his weapon, so he'll have to rely on melee attacks and other stuff like that.

Front_Mission_3_Coverart.png

SkyOdin

Is Dissidia worth 10 bucks?

I'll say yes. Dissidia has some issues (mostly the dreadful writing), but it is fun.

I really need to grab Front Mission 3 and maybe the Final Fantasy IV Collection from this. I have everything else, hah.

I couldn't help myself, I bought FFT: The War of the Lions.

Honestly I'm more excited about the free Dragon's Crown on PS+ but I suppose I'll have to get around to this classic at some point.

XBP

How well does FF7 work on a PS3? I really want to play it but if it doesn't work well I might as well hold off on it and get the PC version soon (whenever i get a gaming PC that is).

sandy1297

got FFT:WotL (already have it on ios but without button its just not the same)

now thinking should I go for FF6 or not, dont think I will play it anytime soon though since still have P4G, FFX/X2 and FFT:WotL to go through

Link Man

Banned
How well does FF7 work on a PS3? I really want to play it but if it doesn't work well I might as well hold off on it and get the HD PC release next year.

That's quite the claim there. Might start a bit of a frenzy, you know?

Top Bottom