• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Community |OT2| You just activated my trap card!

Fj0823

Still with the terrible tablet BEWD art I see.

Should have been this

7db4ca67ed28e08904bb8e1c2fd1bf4a0836e14e_hq.jpg

EMT0

Banned
There still may be. In one of the more recent episodes, a character gets a fully decked out animation for a Ritual Summon they use, and they likely will be a recurring character. Its grasping at straws, but I think they may end up getting their own Dimension and be the "big bad" of the series.

I'm crossing my fingers. I feel like them dropping cards like Pre-Preparation, Ritual Sanctuary, and Dimension Barrier are hinting at something. Especially Dimension Barrier. There's something fishy going on there...

Wichu

The Japanese version has the Earth behind it, so this one might too.
Yeah, there are two versions of that art. One has the tablet in the background, while the other is in the same pose but charging an attack and has a different background. This is the latter version (compare the area around its mouth).

Fj0823

Id love to see this level of love for all YGO characters.

An Aki plant/synchro structure deck or maybe a Zane Cyberdark redemption (because they still suck)

But everything was Yugi and Kaiba, and sometimes Yuya and Reiji

EMT0

Banned
I've got this crackpot theory for what's to come after ARC-V.

Have you guys noticed how a lot of their nostalgia archetypes like Buster Blader, Black Luster Soldier, and Dark Magician come across as underpowered, or how they've technically made archetypes out of Celtic Guardian and Gaia?

How some things got reboots but other notable 'old' archetypes didn't, like Magnet Warriors versus the 's Knights/Arcana Knight Joker and Berformet/Gazelle?

And you guys know how a whole bunch of late 90s/early 2000s animes seem to be getting reboots announced?

Crackpot theory below:

Once Arc-V ends, Konami is going to reboot the original series. They've been riding the nostalgia train since Clash of Rebellions, arguably since the beginning of Arc-V once they decided that hopping dimensions into alternate realities of past series was the way to go, and goddamn must it have payed off because they've more than doubled down on it; we've basically got two dedicated nostalgia booster packs in a row and every booster since Clash of Rebellions has had a nostalgia archetype as a defining cardset, even if it's Arc-V cards on the covers. Now we've got Legendary Decks that are way past MSRP, more Legendary Decks on the way, Dragons of Legend reprints, a booster pack dedicated to Aster Phoenix(and his disappointing new Destiny Hero cards ._.), a movie plus booster pack, and new structure decks based on the OG series. Konami clearly believes in the nostalgia.

Is it so crazy to think that they might reboot the original series under these conditions? I don't really think so. There's been a recent trend of rebooting old anime from Sailor Moon to Digimon. Yugioh was one of the biggest names in anime under the OG series, after all. People clearly still like it, as seen by the success of things like YGO Abridged and their recent nostalgia support. Newer fans will get to see what people keep raving about in the 'good old days' of the anime, old fans and ex-fans will be happy to see a reboot if it's well-done, plus it lets them sell the game to all of these audiences, but with the usage of existing game mechanics instead of the OG series' penchants for weird rules that make no sense for the entirety of the first season.

It lets them make already printed booster packs relevant and in-demand, as people will see old favorites being played and thus pick these cards up, plus the option of dropping a 'Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon' equivalent card in new boosters that drives up demand for these nostalgia decks, plus continue on Arc-V's trends of spreading the love among all summoning methods if they reboot things properly. A very popular Reddit theory-reboot of Gate Guardian, for example, has two new Pendulum monsters based on the left and right gates of the Gates plus a Pendulum XYZ monster that requires two Gate Guardians which sounds neat to play with.

It also lets them fill the gaps they've left open with various cards that have released. One example being Chaos Form; it specifies Dark Magician in its text as valid tribute fodder, but we have no targets for this card; no 'Chaos' or 'Black Luster Soldier' ritual monster that's Level 7. Celtic Guard of Noble Arms specifies that you can Special Summon a 'Celtic Guard' monsters from your hand once per turn, but we have all of three targets for that; three cards hardly seems like a proper archetype, right? The less said about how bricktastic Black Luster Soldier is and to a lesser extent, Buster Blader, the better.

Am I crazy guys? Or just a lot of wishful thinking?

Fj0823

I've got this crackpot theory for what's to come after ARC-V.

Have you guys noticed how a lot of their nostalgia archetypes like Buster Blader, Black Luster Soldier, and Dark Magician come across as underpowered, or how they've technically made archetypes out of Celtic Guardian and Gaia?

How some things got reboots but other notable 'old' archetypes didn't, like Magnet Warriors versus the 's Knights/Arcana Knight Joker and Berformet/Gazelle?

And you guys know how a whole bunch of late 90s/early 2000s animes seem to be getting reboots announced?

Crackpot theory below:

Once Arc-V ends, Konami is going to reboot the original series. They've been riding the nostalgia train since Clash of Rebellions, arguably since the beginning of Arc-V once they decided that hopping dimensions into alternate realities of past series was the way to go, and goddamn must it have payed off because they've more than doubled down on it; we've basically got two dedicated nostalgia booster packs in a row and every booster since Clash of Rebellions has had a nostalgia archetype as a defining cardset, even if it's Arc-V cards on the covers. Now we've got Legendary Decks that are way past MSRP, more Legendary Decks on the way, Dragons of Legend reprints, a booster pack dedicated to Aster Phoenix(and his disappointing new Destiny Hero cards ._.), a movie plus booster pack, and new structure decks based on the OG series. Konami clearly believes in the nostalgia.

Is it so crazy to think that they might reboot the original series under these conditions? I don't really think so. There's been a recent trend of rebooting old anime from Sailor Moon to Digimon. Yugioh was one of the biggest names in anime under the OG series, after all. People clearly still like it, as seen by the success of things like YGO Abridged and their recent nostalgia support. Newer fans will get to see what people keep raving about in the 'good old days' of the anime, old fans and ex-fans will be happy to see a reboot if it's well-done, plus it lets them sell the game to all of these audiences, but with the usage of existing game mechanics instead of the OG series' penchants for weird rules that make no sense for the entirety of the first season.

It lets them make already printed booster packs relevant and in-demand, as people will see old favorites being played and thus pick these cards up, plus the option of dropping a 'Blue-Eyes Alternative Dragon' equivalent card in new boosters that drives up demand for these nostalgia decks, plus continue on Arc-V's trends of spreading the love among all summoning methods if they reboot things properly. A very popular Reddit theory-reboot of Gate Guardian, for example, has two new Pendulum monsters based on the left and right gates of the Gates plus a Pendulum XYZ monster that requires two Gate Guardians which sounds neat to play with.

It also lets them fill the gaps they've left open with various cards that have released. One example being Chaos Form; it specifies Dark Magician in its text as valid tribute fodder, but we have no targets for this card; no 'Chaos' or 'Black Luster Soldier' ritual monster that's Level 7. Celtic Guard of Noble Arms specifies that you can Special Summon a 'Celtic Guard' monsters from your hand once per turn, but we have all of three targets for that; three cards hardly seems like a proper archetype, right? The less said about how bricktastic Black Luster Soldier is and to a lesser extent, Buster Blader, the better.

Am I crazy guys? Or just a lot of wishful thinking?

Nah, purists would flip their shit if Yugi uttered the words "Xyz Summon!, Ebon Void Magician!"

I like getting to meet new characters, and DM ended perfectly. In fact, it's the best ending in the series.

EMT0

Banned
Nah, purists would flip their shit if Yugi uttered the words "Xyz Summon!, Ebon Void Magician!"

I like getting to meet new characters, and DM ended perfectly. In fact, it's the best ending in the series.

To be fair, Konami doesn't really pander to the purists at all, since they don't make them any money. Even their sort-of thrown bone with the generation duels doesn't stop crazy ish that they'll inevitably complain about.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What are archetypes? I am watching the old TV show lately and that pops all the time up when I am searching for monsters, but I never find a explanation what that is

Wichu

What are archetypes? I am watching the old TV show lately and that pops all the time up when I am searching for monsters, but I never find a explanation what that is

In simple terms, an archetype is a series of cards that share a theme and support cards, usually also sharing part of the name. For example, "Blackwing - Bora the Spear" and "Blackwing - Gale the Whirlwind" are part of the Blackwing archetype, supported by cards like "Black Whirlwind".

They don't really start cropping up until Yu-Gi-Oh GX, where characters tend to use archetype-based decks. In the first season, characters have more loosely themed decks that aren't focused on a single archetype.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So its just a sign that they are related but have no direct effect on each other?
Edit: Ah, saw your edit, now I understand it

Fj0823

Yep, back in the day archetypes were referred as "A card that includes XXXX in it's card name"

It was pretty messy

Now it's easier, see this card here supports only "Blue Eyes White Dragon"

latest

This card supports any "Blue-Eyes" Monster

Dahbomb

I am at the tournament arc of the Synchron dimension in Arc V and man the top 8/top 4 matches have been some hype stuff. The tension and drama just keeps ramping up with every match.

Fj0823

I am at the tournament arc of the Synchron dimension in Arc V and man the top 8/top 4 matches have been some hype stuff. The tension and drama just keeps ramping up with every match.

What's your opinion on
Melissa Claire
?

Dahbomb

What's your opinion on
Melissa Claire
?
The announcer? She's fun I guess.

But it's all about Jack Atlas aka Da King.

Because he's the hero The City deserves, AND the one it needs right now. So, we'll adore him, because he can take it. Because he's not just our hero. He's... Da King!

They need to give the god cards an errata or whatever you call it when they change the text.

For supposed god cards they kinda suck, they need to be broken as fuck and live up to their name.

Fj0823

They need to give the god cards an errata or whatever you call it when they change the text.

For supposed god cards they kinda suck, they need to be broken as fuck and live up to their name.

Osiris (Slifer) and Obelisk are pretty good.

Ra sucks so much they released two cards to try and make it work...It did not work.

Now the Nordic gods? Those really REALLY suck

Wiseblade

Id love to see this level of love for all YGO characters.

An Aki plant/synchro structure deck or maybe a Zane Cyberdark redemption (because they still suck)

But everything was Yugi and Kaiba, and sometimes Yuya and Reiji
So you're going to pretend that Plant synchro, HERO, Harpie & Junk all had their moment in the spotlight?

Dahbomb

Oh man Arc V is such a fan service anime especially if you have seen the previous series.

I flipped my shit when I saw Asuka and Aster Phoenix in the most recent episode!

But man why do they gotta shaft Ritual summon like that? Would've been cool to have a Ritual summon dimension too for completion sake.

Fj0823

Oh man Arc V is such a fan service anime especially if you have seen the previous series.

I flipped my shit when I saw Asuka and Aster Phoenix in the most recent episode!

But man why do they gotta shaft Ritual summon like that? Would've been cool to have a Ritual summon dimension too for completion sake.

That dream died when Mieru Ritual Summoned and everyone went "oh yeah, that's a thing too"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I sware I say "Kaiba please" out loud at least once an Episode for GX. Even if he doesn't show up much, it is his school, and so much stupid stuff goes down.

Dahbomb

I sware I say "Kaiba please" out loud at least once an Episode for GX. Even if he doesn't show up much, it is his school, and so much stupid stuff goes down.
I think damn near episode of GX had Pot of Greed in it.

And they STILL have to tell us what the damn card does every time they use it.

"This magic card allows me to draw two NEW cards from my DECK and add them to my HAND!"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think damn near episode of GX had Pot of Greed in it.

And they STILL have to tell us what the damn card does every time they use it.

"This magic card allows me to draw two NEW cards from my DECK and add them to my HAND!"
I'm so glad Arc V just used the term "Piercing Damage", rather than explain it in detail like GX every time it show.

Fj0823

I also like how Arc V gives fodder duelists the amount of screen time they deserve.

If this was GX each Academia Goon would take 2 episodes

The third theme for the Dark Booster SP Destiny Soldiers has been revealed to be "Darklord"

The third theme for the Set is shockingly an old theme, now codefied as a named group, it appears: 堕天使, known in the TCG as “Darklord” and “Fallen One”. The cards shown are new members from the look of it, but the following should be members of this group:

Darklord Asmodeus
Darklord Edeh Arae
Darklord Superbia
Darklord Zerato
Marie the Fallen One
Nurse Reficule the Fallen One
Darklord Desire
https://ygorganization.com/ocg-destiny-soldiers-poster/

Surprised this isn't a completely new theme like Super Quantum and PSY-frame.

zFHvcwx.jpg

Tellarknight Vatlamyus (Tellarknight is written over “Knight of the Void”)
Rank 4 DARK Warrior-Type Xyz Effect Monster
ATK 2600
DEF 550
Materials: 2 Level 4 “tellarknight” monsters
(1) All face-up monsters become treated as DARK-Attribute.
(2) You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then discard 1 card; Special Summon 1 LIGHT “tellarknight” monster from your Extra Deck by using this card as Xyz Material (This is treated as an Xyz Summon, and Xyz Materials attached to this card also become Xyz Materials on the Summoned monster.), but for the rest of this turn, you cannot Xyz Summon monsters. This effect can be activated during either player’s turn, if you have 7 or more “tellarknight” monsters with different names in your Graveyard.
https://ygorganization.com/inov-tellarknight-vatlamyus/

Construct is now a Tellarknight! 550 Def? Is it supposed to be a Iswarm. Oh it's just Tellarknight Ptolemaeus's stats flipped.

Darklords and Abyss Actor's from the poster have been translated
https://ygorganization.com/spds-cards-from-the-poster/
87bf05a7.jpg

堕天使ルシフェル Datenshi Rushiferu (Fallen Angel Lucifer / Darklord Lucifer)
Level 11 DARK Fairy-Type Effect Monster
ATK 3000
DEF 3000
Cannot be Special Summoned.
(1) If this card is Tribute Summoned: You can Special Summon any number of “Darklord” or “Fallen One” monsters from your hand and/or Deck, up to the number of Effect Monsters your opponent controls.
(2) While you control another “Darklord” or “Fallen One” monster, your opponent cannot target this card with card effects.
(3) Once per turn: You can send 1 card from the top of your Deck to the Graveyard for each “Darklord” and “Fallen One” monster you control, and if you do, gain 500 LP for each “Darklord” or “Fallen One” card sent to the Graveyard by this effect.

Darklord Tezcatlipoca mentions setting a "Darklord" Spell/Trap so expect to see some spell/traps for this archetype.

Wiseblade

So for some odd reason I decided to fire up Legacy of the Duelist for the first time in ages. I was happy to still be able to find matches, but quickly disappointed when they turned out to be the most pedestrian beatdowns I've ever given. The worst part is that it wasn't even fast; it was a slow, tedious slog to victory.

Top Bottom