• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016/2017 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Juventus vs Real Madrid

Tubie

C_fiPD1WAAApqVW.jpg

Match Details
Date: 06/03/2017
Time: 20:45 CET / 02:45 PM EST

Where to Watch
http://www.livesoccertv.com/match/2466431/juventus-vs-real-madrid/

About the Champions League

The UEFA Champions League is an annual continental club football competition organized by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and contested by top-division European clubs. It is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world and the most prestigious club competition in European football, played by the national league champion (and, for some nations, one or more runners-up) of each UEFA national association. The final of the 2012–13 tournament was the most watched UEFA Champions League final to date, as well as the most watched annual sporting event worldwide in 2013, drawing 360 million television viewers.

Introduced in 1992, the competition replaced the European Champion Clubs' Cup, or simply European Cup, which had run since 1955, adding a group stage to the competition and allowing multiple entrants from certain countries. The pre-1992 competition was initially a straight knockout tournament open only to the champion club of each country. During the 1990s, the format was expanded, incorporating a round-robin group stage to include clubs that finished runner-up of some nations' top level league. While most of Europe's national leagues can still only enter their national league champion, Europe's strongest national leagues now provide up to four teams for the competition, and will provide up to five teams from the 2015–16 season onwards. Clubs that finish next-in-line in each nation's top level league, having not qualified for the UEFA Champions League competition, may be eligible for the next level UEFA Europa League competition.

In its present format, the UEFA Champions League begins in mid-July with three knockout qualifying rounds and a play-off round. The 10 surviving teams enter the group stage, joining 22 other teams qualified in advance. The 32 teams are drawn into eight groups of four teams and play each other in a double round-robin system. The eight group winners and eight runners-up proceed to the knockout phase that culminates with the final match in May. The winner of the UEFA Champions League qualifies for the UEFA Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup.

1024x576_360861.jpg

The Teams

Juventus, colloquially known as Juve, is a professional Italian association football club based in Turin, Piedmont, founded in 1897 as Sport-Club Juventus. Juventus is also the most successful club in Italian football, the one that has the most sporting tradition in the country and one of the most awarded globally having won overall sixty-three official titles on the national and international stage, more than any other club in Italy: a record thirty-three official league titles, a record twelve Coppa Italia titles, a record seven Supercoppa Italiana titles and, with eleven titles in confederation and inter-confederation competitions (two Intercontinental Cups, two European Champion Clubs' Cup/UEFA Champions Leagues, one European Cup Winners' Cup, three UEFA Cups, two UEFA Super Cups and one UEFA Intertoto Cup) it ranks fourth in Europe and eighth in the world with the most trophies won.

150px-Juventus_Turin.svg.png

UXr97Vk.png

Real Madrid Club de Fútbol, commonly known as Real Madrid, or simply as Real, is a professional football club based in Madrid, Spain.

Founded in 1902 as Madrid Football Club, the team has traditionally worn a white home kit since inception. The word Real is Spanish for Royal and was bestowed to the club by King Alfonso XIII in 1920 together with the royal crown in the emblem. The team has played its home matches in the 85,454-capacity Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in downtown Madrid since 1947. Unlike most European sporting entities, Real Madrid's members (socios) have owned and operated the club throughout its history.

Real Madrid established itself as a major force in both Spanish and European football during the 1950s. The club won five consecutive European Cups, and reached the final seven times. This success was replicated in the league, where the club won five times in the space of seven years. This team, which consisted of players such as Di Stéfano, Ferenc Puskás, Gento, Raymond Kopa, and Santamaría, is considered by some in the sport to be the greatest team of all time.

In domestic football, the club has won a record 33 La Liga titles, 19 Copa del Rey, 9 Supercopa de España, 1 Copa Eva Duarte, and 1 Copa de la Liga. In international football, the club has won a record 11 European Cup/UEFA Champions League titles and a joint record 3 Intercontinental Cups, as well as 2 UEFA Cups, 2 UEFA Super Cups and two FIFA Club World Cup.

200px-Real_Madrid_CF.svg.png

a26bOd0.png

The Venue

The Millennium Stadium, currently known for sponsorship purposes as the Principality Stadium, is the national stadium of Wales, located in Cardiff. It is the home of the Wales national rugby union team and has also staged games of the Wales national football team. Initially built to host the 1999 Rugby World Cup, it has gone on to host many other large-scale events, such as the Tsunami Relief concert, the Super Special Stage of Wales Rally Great Britain, the Speedway Grand Prix of Great Britain and various music concerts. It also hosted six FA Cup finals and several other high-profile football fixtures while Wembley Stadium was being redeveloped.

Listed as a category four stadium by UEFA, the stadium was chosen as the venue for the 2017 UEFA Champions League Final, due to take place on 3 June 2017.

800px-Millennium_Stadium_panoramic_view.jpg

Road to the Final

streambe_b45fb9e4-5c5c-39aa-9036-c307ab61ac79-632712943.jpeg

eltercero

In domestic football, the club has won a record 32 La Liga titles, 19 Copa del Rey, 9 Supercopa de España, 1 Copa Eva Duarte, and 1 Copa de la Liga. In international football, the club has won a record 11 European Cup/UEFA Champions League titles and a joint record 3 Intercontinental Cups, as well as 2 UEFA Cups, 2 UEFA Super Cups and two FIFA Club World Cup.

*33 ligas, mate :)

i love zidane (he is not only the best player who ever lived -messi and ronaldo can suck it -but so seems to be an immensely good coach) but still hoping for a juve win...
madrid looks unstoppable.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Should be an amazing match. Too much of a fan of so many Juve players so I need to support the boys in stripes.

HALA MADRID

it's only fitting for the kings of football to make history by being the first club to win the champions league back to back

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So this is being shown in VR in the UK, right. Is it just phone VR or can I get it running on my PSVR?

And big up Juve. Hope Gigi gets his trophy.

Tubie

i love zidane (he is not only the best player who ever lived -messi and ronaldo can suck it -but so seems to be an immensely good coach) but still hoping for a juve win...
madrid looks unstoppable.

What Zidane has done is incredible.

He became coach half way last year when the team was in ruins and nobody expected anything, and then won the 11th CL. And this year he wins the league.

Alegri has also been incredible, managing this Juve to back to back leagues and now a CL final. He had to pick it up after Conte, which is no easy feat.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
What Zidane has done is incredible.

He became coach half way last year when the team was in ruins and nobody expected anything, and then won the 11th CL. And this year he wins the league.

Alegri has also been incredible, managing this Juve to back to back leagues and now a CL final. He had to pick it up after Conte, which is no easy feat.

The only thing stopping me from supporting Real for this match is Buffon just cause I want to see him clutch that trophy as it lifts, but the Zizou magic is something incredible. Zidane will always be one of the world's best players in my heart, so it's difficult to not wish for a Real win for the back-to-back but I will always love Zizou and wish him & the team all the best.

I am sure it will be an emotional game for him as well having been a Juve & Real player.

Pachimari

Two incredible managers for sure, and they both deserve the win. If I removed my feelings toward all things Madrid for a split second, I wouldn't mind seeing Gianuigi Buffon winning the trophy, because this man is a legend in every sense of the word and those tears of his would instantly turn into diamond. That said, we're in the final too, and had it been any other team Juventus would go up against, I would have cheered on them, but not on June 3rd.

Tubie

I've supported Madrid since I was a child, and even I have to admit I would not be mad if Buffon finally gets a CL.

The only thing stopping me from supporting Real for this match is Buffon just cause I want to see him clutch that trophy as it lifts, but the Zizou magic is something incredible. Zidane will always be one of the world's best players in my heart, so it's difficult to not wish for a Real win for the back-to-back but I will always love Zizou and wish him & the team all the best.

I am sure it will be an emotional game for him as well having been a Juve & Real player.

not only in your heart. he has revolutionized strategy in football and nobody comes close in combining skill and strategic understanding like he does

nemesun

Rooting for Juve. Buffon deserves a CL medal before he retires. Greatest goalie that ever graced the football pitch.

Mimosa97

Goddamnit. I'll always support my boy Zizou but damn if i don't want gianluigi to lift that trophy. The man deserves it.

Oh well. Still have to go with madrid on this one.

Also it's good to watch the best number 10 in history show the world that he's also an incredible manager. When you have such a deep understanding of the game as a player, it's only normal to find success as a manager. No one expected so much success so early in his career as a manager though. The legend zizou lives on.

Anyone on GAF going to see this?

Apparently the roof is going to be closed, first CL Final to be payed "indoors". They decided to close it in case anyone tried to fly a drone into the stadium, guessing Manchester has made then ramp up security.

FelipeMGM

I was rooting for Jardim's boys in the semi-final, now Im in for Juve

Would love for Buffon to not only win his first UCL but to snatch the Balon d'Or too

I'm shocked 'every' non Madrid fan want us to lose. Shocked.

Life keeps its course.

on the other hand i'm actually shocked that half the world is rooting for us juve

we are used to be hated

i don't know if i can handle another loss in a CL final...

Top Bottom