• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have no hype for X-Men: Dark Phoenix....

bleaker

So X-Men:Apocalypse was an arguably bad film, albeit one that I enjoy, and the series needs to go back to Marvel?

Let's talk about the X-Men track record for a second: in the last few years we have gotten First Class, The Wolverine, DoFP, Deadpool, Logan, and Apocalypse. Out of those movies, two of them are considered to be below average (Wolverine and Apocalypse).

That is a pretty decent batting average, especially compared to Marvel. Why didn't anyone complain when Avengers 2 shit the bed and demanded Joss Whedon never make a superhero film?

You have a right to your opinion, but I think it is a misguided one.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Can't really blame you, OP. My only hope for it is that they at least screw up one of the greatest comic stories ever told in a different way this time around.

So X-Men:Apocalypse was an arguably bad film, albeit one that I enjoy, and the series needs to go back to Marvel?

Let's talk about the X-Men track record for a second: in the last few years we have gotten First Class, The Wolverine, DoFP, Deadpool, Logan, and Apocalypse. Out of those movies, two of them are considered to be below average (Wolverine and Apocalypse).

That is a pretty decent batting average, especially compared to Marvel. Why didn't anyone complain when Avengers 2 shit the bed and demanded Joss Whedon never make a superhero film?

Because Avengers 2 was a disappointment, but still better than 75% of Fox's X-Men output.

That said, I don't really care to see the X-Men returned to Marvel. The MCU doesn't need the X-Men and the X-Men don't need the MCU so much as just some competent writers. The X-books have been mostly separate from the mainstream Marvel Universe in the comics for decades outside of the odd event crossover anyway.

Uzumaki Goku

Y'know... I didn't think Age of Ultron was BAD... I mean, it's not as good as the first but... it has some good moments.

I thought Days of Future Past and Apocalypse were great, especially the former, so I have no reason to believe Dark Phoenix or whatever it'll be called won't be as well.

Edit: I literally just finished watching The Wolverine not long ago and it was pretty good too.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
There is zero chance a Dark Phoenix movie will work. Zero.

You can't do it justice with 1 movie. Period. I don't even think a trilogy would work. You'd probably need like 5 films or something like that.

Its a very long arc. I've thought about it before and I think it would be much better suited for television.

Ahasverus

And you shouldn't. Apocalypse was a trash and a joke of a movie. The kids cast is annoying and especially, very especially, they couldn't caste a worse Jean Grey if they tried. I couldn't stand her in a movie where she was a supporting character, I would hate to watch a movie when she's the centerpiece.

Uzumaki Goku

You can't do it justice with 1 movie. Period. I don't even think a trilogy would work. You'd probably need like 5 films or something like that. Minimum of 4 because you should probably have at least 1 movie where Jean isn't in it because she's dead.

Its a very long arc. I've thought about it before and I think it would be much better suited for television.

Honestly... Dark Phoenix needs to be built up to... not the way they've been doing.

You guys know Singer isn't directing the new one, right? I think he's just a producer.

Kinberg is attached to direct I think but I can't find confirmation.
Singer is still involved with the franchise as a whole though, since he's directing the pilot for The Gifted. I just wish he'd go back to making smaller films like Usual Supects. I loved his X-Men films for the most part but I'd like to see someone else's take on the series after 17 years. And that someone is not Kinberg.

Still, I like the way Fox has handled the franchise in the last few years so I'm not too worried.

bleaker

Because Avengers 2 was a disappointment, but still better than 75% of Fox's X-Men output.

While Avengers 2 isn't as bad as X-Men Origins, I don't think it's reasonable to say that its better than X-men, X2, Deadpool, First Class, DoFP, The Wolverine, or Logan. Fox's X-Men output has more hits than misses, helped create the modern superhero film genre, and has remained consistently good.

GatorBait

You can't do it justice with 1 movie. Period. I don't even think a trilogy would work. You'd probably need like 5 films or something like that.

With the way Marvel has been handling their cinematic universe and the cosmic side of things, it makes me wonder how they would pull off the Dark Phoenix saga.

overcast

Me either honestly but on the radar I would say I'm not particularly excited for any comic movie for the next year plus.

Legion and Logan are so good though.

Epcott

You're not alone.
There have been 6 X-Men films, one film in each trilogy set (total of 2) have featured Phoenix and both films were received poorly.

Those who were actually looking forward to another film had probably hoped it would focus on something else.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Honestly... Dark Phoenix needs to be built up to... not the way they've been doing.

With the way Marvel has been handling their cinematic universe and the cosmic side of things, it makes me wonder how they would pull off the Dark Phoenix saga.

The more I think about it, I don't even think 5 films would be enough. You'd probably need 2 trilogies.

Phoenix Saga
Part 1 - Introduce the team / Magneto
Part 2 - Shuttle crash/Rebirth as Phoenix
Part 3 - Shi'ar Empire, StarJammers (or if it was Marvel, maybe substitute the Guardians), M'Kraan Crystal

Dark Pheonix Saga
Part 4 - Magneto returns, captures Xmen (taking them to the Savage land), Jean escapes. Jean thinks Xmen are dead, meets Mastermind. Xmen deal with a Savage land villain (Sauron?)
Part 5 - Xmen make their way back from the Savage land, deal with Hellfire club. Dark Phoenix unleashed at the end...blasts off into space.
Part 6 - Phoenix destroys star system, goes on trial, dies

It would be faithful to the source material and cover a lot of things that haven't been covered in the films thus far.

Ahasverus

Marvel fanboys really need to stop clamouring for every film to follow the marvel formula, we already get 3 of those annually. Not every super hero film need to have quick 1 liners, bad villians and no stakes. Marvel films have their place in the industry but they better leave xmen out of it.

Besides, deadpool/logan/days of future/first class are much better than anything mcu
The lies, I can't find them.

We get it. Why make a whining thread about how you're not hyped for a movie we really don't have too much info on anyway? Not to mention you haven't even seen Logan which I doubt you will because your Marvel undies are in a bunch.

I don't have much hype for the Dark Phoenix film either.

I am however somewhat excited for New Mutants. After reading how the director described the film, I much more interested in that than anything else related to X-Men in film.

mjc

Marvel fanboys really need to stop clamouring for every film to follow the marvel formula, we already get 3 of those annually. Not every super hero film need to have quick 1 liners, bad villians and no stakes. Marvel films have their place in the industry but they better leave xmen out of it.

Besides, deadpool/logan/days of future/first class are much better than anything mcu

Nah, maybe equal footing but not that much better IMO. The X-Men franchise has it's own problems.

Jumeira

Banned
Logan, DofP and Deadpool are better than every Marvel film I've seen, Fox are perfectly capable of creating incredible comic book movies, I don't get the same feeling when waiting for Marvel films OP, their films are usually ok to good. The highs Fox have reached have not been reached by a MCU film.

Kin5290

Nobody does. They should reboot the whole franchise and bring the tone in line with Logan, nobody wants more of what we got in Apocalypse. They need to refresh the main series.
Hell no. The last thing they should do is force the main line X men movies into the bleak and depressing tone of Logan when it is unwarranted. Logan is a movie specifically about growing old and dying, but why would other movies be the same? It just wouldn't fit at all.

Plus, James Mangold cribbed his themes pretty heavily from Shane, and that cannot be repeated.

Nah. Only Logan. The others are worse or equal to anything MCU.

Laplasakos

I love the X-Men movies and i am super excited for Dark Phoenix (assuming that's the final name), although i must say that it's way too early for Dark Phoenix to appear considering that the characters only appeared in one movie (Apocalypse) and there were basically kids. X-Men and X2 had a very good build up that led to Dark Phoenix in X3.

Top Bottom