• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had such an experience with the family in a while. Saw a lot of people haven't in a while and some bomb ass food: Three different kinds of fish, oyster, salmon patties with special sauce, had gumbo for the first time, hush puppies, baked potatoes, salad, lemonade, tea, name brand Dr. Pepper, cake. and ice-cream. It just felt good to be in that kind of environment again.

Faustek

I haven't had such an experience with the family in a while. Saw a lot of people haven't in a while and some bomb ass food: Three different kinds of fish, oyster, salmon patties with special sauce, had gumbo for the first time, hush puppies, baked potatoes, salad, lemonade, tea, name brand Dr. Pepper, cake. and ice-cream. It just felt good to be in that kind of environment again.

Sounds nice but a little disappointed. Read "Dr. Pepper cake" and didn't see the comma. Now I want someone to make that.

D i Z

This is depressing, so fair warning. 11 Years Old, a Mom, and Pushed to Marry Her Rapist in Florida . I think that this is worth keeping in mind when thinking about how American culture has become adept at hiding it's infant fantasies (looking at you moe fans), and while it's not in the ephebophilia range, it still pulls from the same place.

More importantly, it tells the story in broad strokes of how and why the GOP is hell bent on removing basic human protections from women in cases of rape. Those actions that could have previous to this administration been taken medically and legally against the rapist, and the consequence of rape. This is what they have been working so hard for all of these years. Control of women that they desire.
In the simplest terms, they have in some places created a way for the actual rape be legally binding to the victim of the criminal for life, with no options other than to be dependent.
This is the world that they want for women and their households, and they are working hard to make it happen. Strip away the rights. Make them dependent. Make it so they can't leave, can't seek help or education. Can't make them feel small in their own misery...
I could post links to legislation that has been put forth since the swearing in, but ain't nobody here got broken fingers.

Make America great again, folks.

"On Friday, Ms. Smith said her use of the racial slur was no big deal, and she should be entitled to use it whenever she wants. She suggested that comedian Eddie Murphy made a career out of using the word, and added that she grew up hearing it on television in the 1970s show “All in the Family.”

“Now, all of a sudden, I can’t use it?” Ms. Smith said in a phone interview on Friday. “Sorry—I live in a black neighborhood. I came here and didn’t see color.”
Now I don't know what version of All in the Family SHE was watching.

But I didn't hear anybody yell "FUCKING NIGGERS" when I watched.

Maybe it was a secret white people only episode. Where Archie learns the meaning of the word Boujee

akira28

yeah that happens a lot more than you might think. young women in these "communities of faith" where they handle these rapes not by calling the police, but by mandating a marriage. more than a few states with sizable religious communities that have been able to form relationships and agreements with the local authority within the law.

D i Z

Fucking Christ, DiZ..fuck this state to death..

It's not just that state. That's not any comfort, I know. I think i read currently 30+ states have this active (will check that # later), and are pushing for further legal wiggle room to be demons in the flesh. We're going back not sixty odd years, but over one hundred for what they are plotting for women's rights. Shit. Eugenics wasn't off the books officially until the 1980's in most states. I think that there are still a couple that still have that German handshake legacy from the war as legal action. The flood of legislation put forth for this kind of shit since they got the power back on is staggering.

Crocodile

Hehehe..Tryna wreck them folks. How you been anyway, Croc?

Ok. Trying to finish my PhD, its been a bit of a struggle. Hoping to be done within six weeks. How are you?

They tried a "religious freedom bill" Disney was like nah, and they tossed that shit straight in the trash. Cause they were not NC stupid

Oh yeah I forgot Georgia already tried it. Wouldn't be surprised if they feel emboldened by Trump's win though to try again.

At first thought I had was that all of her lent herself to the Jezebel stereotype. Her walk, her figure her whole creation is only there to represent sex.
As for the hair itself I can only sympathise with Ms.DePass. Her viewpoint is a valid one and the explanation to reach it is as valid. Unfortunately I do believe it'll fall on deaf ears and even more so on the gaming side.

Just a note, Twintell is a tanned Asian. Nintendo don't make any brown/black characters.

I know you're joking but plz no with the stuff in spoiler tags :p

Nonsense. Japan shows the utmost respect to other cultures and people's.

I mean just LOOK at this shining beacon of inclusivity in animated form:

Yeah the comically big lips thing needs to stop. It's not like there aren't any Japanese artists who actually get it. Those who don't just need to pay attention to what those who do get it are doing.

Nah I figured as much. I am surprised that seemingly for once, no one is really objecting to people associating her as such. I bet it's because she speaks French.

I feel there is someone, somewhere on the internet who is arguing she can't be Black because she speaks French (and they are ignorant enough to not know a significant number of Black people in the North America, the Caribbean, Africa and France itself speak French and why).

I've been out of touch with NegroGaf as of late, but I'm wondering if any of y'all have seen this article on Twintelle yet? https://mic.com/articles/177734/arms-twintelle-nintendo-woc-hair-weapon#.5F1B6OtLO

You think she's valid in her complaints? I'm fine with the design, but then again I'm a black man who's issues and challenges in Western society is different from hers.

I mean she's right that naturally Black hairstyles are often demonized in real life (as opposed to weaponized which seems to be a weird word choice) and that create-a-character options in most games are severely lacking for PoC but considering Twintelle isn't a custom character, hair powers are pretty common in fiction and twintails is probably the hairstyle that makes the most sense if you want to attach two hands to someone's head, I feel she is off the mark here.

I'll be honest, before I read the article I figured she would be complaining about another "Black/dark-skinned anime character with white/blond hair" but that never even came up LOL.

Speaking of which I came across this woman (not sure of name) on tumblr recently. I have no idea who she is but all I could think was "LOL this is anime as fuck!"
tumblr_ofxarrtQrb1scpynio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ofxarrtQrb1scpynio2_1280.jpg

tumblr_ofxarrtQrb1scpynio3_1280.jpg

Sch1sm

I mean she's right that naturally Black hairstyles are often demonized in real life (as opposed to weaponized which seems to be a weird word choice) and that create-a-character options in most games are severely lacking for PoC but considering Twintelle isn't a custom character, hair powers are pretty common in fiction and twintails is probably the hairstyle that makes the most sense if you want to attach two hands to someone's head, I feel she is off the mark here.

I'll be honest, before I read the article I figured she would be complaining about another "Black/dark-skinned anime character with white/blond hair" but that never even came up LOL.

Speaking of which I came across this woman (not sure of name) on tumblr recently. I have no idea who she is but all I could think was "LOL this is anime as fuck!"

This is her, if you're curious. Link is to her Instagram.

Sch1sm

Big time, I'm surprised. I don't know many people with them that've got that much melanin, at least in that quantity. I've got some, but it's just a small cluster on in one place. Nothing like that.

When I reverse searched one of Croc's images, though, I came across this article that was claiming that she's a white woman in blackface, but I just glossed over it when I saw the Instagram link. No idea how valid those claims are.

D i Z

She's mixed somewhere for sure. Just can't tell how much is embellishment or not. She's stretching the illusion tho. Her make up on her hands (her knuckles) is giving her away. And the contrast is off in every pic. She's just not as dark as she is projecting. I guess that's where the anime comes in.

Crocodile

*opens account*

*sees anime characters, V-sign, a shirt praising subtitles*

Yeah she's a weeb alright LOL

She's mixed somewhere for sure. Just can't tell how much is embellishment or not. She's stretching the illusion tho. Her make up on her hands (her knuckles) is giving her away. And the contrast is off in every pic. She's just not as dark as she is projecting. I guess that's where the anime comes in.

Yeah I could definitely buy that

Still sliding in the DMs.

D i Z

That's what I'm saying though. We lost so many avenues (those of us that were there at the time) that we couldn't have foreseen being dust on the wind with these individuals going away. How diverse could Hip Hop be...

I'd straight up execute Slay (with a last meal request from G's kitchen of course) for one more Gang Starr joint.

Your Mama remix is wack!!! It sucks D***!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom