• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HUGE Sony 09 blowout - LittleBigPlanet PSP, Uncharted 2, Price cuts & more

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Private Hoffman said:
Damn, for some reason I had this title pegged as a 2010 release.

Can't wait to see more. I have a feeling that MAG could really be a huge and unique title that differentiates itself from everything out there if the execution is done properly.

Interview was from 08 though.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Personally, I can't stand playing multiplayer. I'm of two minds on all of this. First, if ND can deliver a satisfying single player adventure and then somehow fit a multiplayer mode in there, well, as long as I've got my single player adventure I don't feel I'm out anything. On the hand, though, I do firmly believe that every person working on multiplayer is a person that could be working on making the single player even better, so I'd prefer if they focused on it.

If the multiplayer aspect is of the "co-op" variety then that would be best kind for Uncharted, a focus on a "campaign mode" which is what it's strength is supposed to be, while encouraging a specific added level of more players that adds to the campaign.

Pojo

Banned
Multiplayer in Uncharted?

Sure, if they made the controls much, much tighter and didn't shoehorn anything in. And totally changed the point of the game from exploration to gunplay.

And renamed it Gears of War.

But maybe if we pressure them, they'll follow what Retro did for Metroid Prime 2!

HomerSimpson-Man said:
If the multiplayer aspect is of the "co-op" variety then that would be best kind for Uncharted, a focus on a "campaign mode" which is what it's strength is supposed to be, while encouraging a specific added level of more players that adds to the campaign.
Yeah, that would definitely be the best way to do it.

Pojo said:
But maybe if we pressure them, they'll follow what Retro did for Metroid Prime 2!

I figure they got enough pressure from the reviews of Uncharted that knocked off points because it lacked a multiplayer mode.

Akia

Segata Sanshiro said:
On the hand, though, I do firmly believe that every person working on multiplayer is a person that could be working on making the single player even better, so I'd prefer if they focused on it.

I agree.

Naughty Dog should focus on their core competency which currently is creating exceptional single player experiences. Everyone knows that Naughty Dog can make a half way decent multiplayer mode but is that the reason people are excited for a sequel? Don't we have enough high profile multiplayer shooters already on both HD consoles.

As a fan of the series, I would prefer them to concentrate on putting their all their eggs into the single player experience by fixing the flaws of the original and really taking all the elements that made Uncharted so great to the next level. Co-op through the campaign isn't really what I'm looking for either. Just because when there is co-op Naughty Dog would probably tailor the campaign and the overall story for two players. Not to be selfish but I just really want a better, single seated Naughty Dog approved roller coaster ride.

Madman

tzare said:
and somehow a bit underated, maybe because it was not a huge IP or it has no SP. If thet had not been the case, i really think it would be played by much more people.
A decent marketing campaign would have helped. Of course, the game's troubled development probably prevented that. It still did good(~750k on the leaderboard and an active community), but it's interesting to think of what could have been.

Pojo said:
Multiplayer in Uncharted?

Sure, if they made the controls much, much tighter and didn't shoehorn anything in. And totally changed the point of the game from exploration to gunplay.

And renamed it Gears of War.

The focus is already gunplay, wouldn't be much of a change.

Crayon said:
You can play 256 player split screen as well.

Lol that would actually be awesome.

About Uncharted, I played it a total of 5 times and finished it 4 times (once on normal, hard and crushing before trophies and again on hard and crushing after trophies, only didn't finish crushing the 1st time because the news about trophies was out), with that said I was still wanted to play more, I feel like co-op and competitive MP, if done properly and not hurting the SP experience, would really be welcome and appreciated.

As someone else said, I feel MP will be in the game because reviewers bitched too much about it not having it. Now watch them bitch about SP like they did with R2 :lol

Pojo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I figure they got enough pressure from the reviews of Uncharted that knocked off points because it lacked a multiplayer mode.
Nah. Traditionally, from Naughty Dog, we can expect multiplayer from Uncharted Kart X as the focus of their last PS3 game.

And I'm only half joking.

J-Rzez

Das-J said:
... and there's a certain game with 256 player support that might have an impact! :D

I said I have great faith in Zipper Int with MAG. If anyone can pull it off so it's well designed and not random chaos, it's them. And I DEMAND to be in the closed beta! Sony's bs random invite system is garbage. Please give invites to people who are actually into shooters and have some skills to help make it the best it can be. Not giving keys to people who only play RPGs and Music games, and only to those shooter affectionados would be a good start :p

In Zipper I trust, and want to see them pull it off and get back the shooter crown.

J-Rzez said:
I said I have great faith in Zipper Int with MAG. If anyone can pull it off so it's well designed and not random chaos, it's them. And I DEMAND to be in the closed beta! Sony's bs random invite system is garbage. Please give invites to people who are actually into shooters and have some skills to help make it the best it can be. Not giving keys to people who only play RPGs and Music games, and only to those shooter affectionados would be a good start :p

In Zipper I trust, and want to see them pull it off and get back the shooter crown.

I agree and since I was in the beta for R2, Killzone 2 and SOCOM, I think I should be in the beta for MAG too. :D

Pojo said:
Nah. Traditionally, from Naughty Dog, we can expect multiplayer from Uncharted Kart X as the focus of their last PS3 game.

And I'm only half joking.
They have done a racing game with each of their series since Crash. I am fully expecting a PSN Uncharted Racing game, with online.

Kaako said:
From here on out, every year is the year of the PS3 son. BELIEVE.
Actually, I agree. Sony's first parties have finally hit their stride this gen, and we should see a constant stream of releases from here until the end of the generation.

We should see line ups like GoWIII, KZ2, U2 every year for the rest of the gen. :D

In 2010 the front runner will be Trico. Nom Nom Nom.

the_prime_mover said:
Wait, warhawk didn't sell well over the past year? I thought that it was successful. I never follow sales data, but I thought that it had reached a nice chunk of players. I know that the online community is generally very active, even at this point. I don't know what the budget of the game was but I can't imagine that it needed to be a multi-million seller to be considered successful.

With that said, a sequel would be great - perhaps with bots and some more back story. SP might be nice (especially if they have some of those capital ships in the game like the old previews showed), but I think the gameplay would need to be altered somewhat.

While leaderboard != sales, we can kinda guess from that, The leaderboard is well over 750k, so the game has sold well, maybe just not well enough by GAF's standards. I want a Warhawk sequel set in the future with a SP campaign to boot.

makingmusic476 said:

TRICO better come out next year.

makingmusic476 said:
Actually, I agree. Sony's first parties have finally hit their stride this gen, and we should see a constant stream of releases from here until the end of the generation.

We should see line ups like GoWIII, KZ2, U2 every year for the rest of the gen. :D

Yep. Sony has the best first party in the biz. Great time to be a PS3 owner.

neight

Banned
Pojo said:
And totally changed the point of the game from exploration to gunplay.
It is a shooter. Those of us that complained there wasn't enough exploration would always get the 'but it's not supposed to be tomb raider!' response.

AranhaHunter said:
Nintendo might disagree with that statement.
I used to agree, especially since I find the Legend of Zelda series to be by far the greatest franchise in the history of gaming.

But the Wii's release list for the end of this year combined with the onslaught of Sony releases is slowly changing my opinion of which publisher I prefer overall. Both will always be my top two, though.

Tbh, Sony has really outdone my expectations this gen. Last gen they pumped out some awesome stuff, but going into this gen I never thought that they'd do what they did last gen plus even more! I never thought that Killzone 2 would be all that good, let alone amazing (and based on my time with the beta, it certainly is amazing), nor did I ever think we'd see something as unique and awesome as LittleBigPlanet. That game has managed to cement itself in my top ten favorite games of all time, up there with the Zelda, MGS, and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus.

Pojo

Banned
neight said:
It is a shooter. Those of us that complained there wasn't enough exploration would always get the 'but it's not supposed to be tomb raider!' response.
The gunlplay certainly took up the bulk of the game, but the mechanics were not fundamentally strong enough to consider it a shooter. It was loose, inaccurate, and the enemies were sponges.

Not that I didn't enjoy it immensely; I think the total packaged worked. But I never once considered how multiplayer would fit in.

Pojo said:
The gunlplay certainly took up the bulk of the game, but the mechanics were not fundamentally strong enough to consider it a shooter. It was loose, inaccurate, and the enemies were sponges.

Not that I didn't enjoy it immensely; I think the total packaged worked. But I never once considered how multiplayer would fit in.

The mechanics were fundamentally strong. It's the environment, setting, theme, and diversity of gameplay which is why it's not considered a shooter.

I didn't find it loose or inaccurate at all. In fact, it's very precise with little to no auto aim. As for the enemies being sponges? Okay, same complaint could be leveled against Gears 2.

Kagari said:
Of course they're going to deny it :lol

It would only be news if they didn't deny it and actually announced a price drop 3 months early. You know it's a slow news day when they post about an exec denying a price drop.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
ugh, the last thing Sony need though is any sort of "confirmed rumour" that there is a price drop coming early next year.

You don't want the holiday season spiked on the back of gossip (true or not)

"Loose lips sink ships" and all that

Zophar

cyclone87 said:
Nintendo are great.... when they actually try.
IMO Nintendo lost their way during the Gamecube years. I honestly feel they've been phoning it in ever since.

Right now the first party crown belongs to Sony, and for my money it'll take more than Super Mario Galaxy for Nintendo to win it back in my eyes.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
cyclone87 said:
Nintendo are great.... when they actually try.

Well they tried 3 times in the past 3 years, Mario Galaxy, Zelda & Super Smash Bros Brawl & nothing else to match that quality.

DCharlie said:
ugh, the last thing Sony need though is any sort of "confirmed rumour" that there is a price drop coming early next year.

You don't want the holiday season spiked on the back of gossip (true or not)

"Loose lips sink ships" and all that
This rumor probably won't make it's way outside of internet forums.

FTWer said:
Well they tried 3 times in the past 3 years, Mario Galaxy, Zelda & Super Smash Bros Brawl & nothing else to match that quality.
Okami came surprisingly close.

When Nintendo "tries" they can certainly put out something fantastic. But for me, they're just not doing it often enough. I mean, Sony's pumping out titles left and right. Nintendo is too, to a certain extent, but too many of those titles are stuff like Wii Music. Where's my Star Fox? Wave Race? Huh Nintendo? HUH!?!

Hopefully we'll seem something from that rumored Kid Icarus soon. If done right, it could become a franchise I love as much a Zelda.

Top Bottom