• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

leeman

I think we've been had, Orzly marks as shipped while they haven't shipped crap.

I found a link on amazon.com for the amFilm that ships to Canada, ended up paying 20 bucks with shipping but I'll get it in 7 days top.

I think Orzly ships from the UK, so probably will take it's time getting here.

I ordered the Orzly NES Classic controller extenders and they took a few weeks to get here but work really well and were super cheap.

I figure they probably started shipping them the day the Switch was released, or just before it, so probably won't see them until next week, but I do expect that they will arrive and, hopefully, will be good quality.

Nicodemic

Has anybody gotten the freaking Orzly tempered glass protector for switch, anybody? anyone?

Negative.

Still waiting :(

Meanwhile at Orzly:

source.gif

I ordered the Orzly NES Classic controller extenders and they took a few weeks to get here but work really well and were super cheap.

I figure they probably started shipping them the day the Switch was released, or just before it, so probably won't see them until next week, but I do expect that they will arrive and, hopefully, will be good quality.

yeah, if look at tracking says ships via royal mail which is uk

Do you mean this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And I take it that's $20 USD, right?

Yes,
from here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What's your delivery estimate? mine says 24 Mar - 18 Apr that's a joke.

Whichever arrives first goes on my Switch I don't care if it is the amFilm or the Orzly one they booth look quite similar. I'll just sell the one that gets here last.

leeman

Yes,
from here
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What's your delivery estimate? mine says 24 Mar - 18 Apr that's a joke.

Whichever arrives first goes on my Switch I don't care if it is the amFilm or the Orzly one they booth look quite similar. I'll just sell the one that gets here last.

Mine says Arriving 23 Mar - 12 Apr, which does indeed suck. However, Amazon generally gives worst case scenario, so I am hoping it gets here sooner :p.

Lexxism

Mine says Arriving 23 Mar - 12 Apr, which does indeed suck. However, Amazon generally gives worst case scenario, so I am hoping it gets here sooner :p.
Lol that's what the guy from orzly said to me. Based on what he said, the package will likely arrive in 10 business days. I just hope I will receive it this Friday.

SickBoy

(Has Been Heroes) won't be for everybody but for $30 retail you should give it a look. It's a sort of rhythmic, zone-out take on strategy, almost more like a puzzle game or even a music game.

I wasn't interested when I saw it on the release list and did a little research into what it was... but I checked out the video from their Treehouse event and it looked pretty fun (and cheap for a physical game), so I figured what the heck.. especially with EB's 2x trade-in promo.

eyesradar

Just to pop in and tell to you guys mine screen protector is holding up pretty okay. I mainly play it handheld but I've docked the Switch for longer Zelda sessions too. It's the Hori regular one. Saw ppl had issues in the protection thread regarding some of the tempered glass protector variations.

Personally I've decided to wait out a bit till the launch problems get better (shipping time too) to get a new screen protector.

Elitist1945

Ok so idk where else to post this, so I'll post it here since its Canada related. I'm 20 and I'm opening a RRSP with Scotiabank. Its asking whether I want Cash, Savings accelerator, GIC or mutual fund. Not entirely sure what those mean and if theres any benefits. Halp?

dv2321

Neo Member
For anyone in Calgary still looking for any Switches, a friend of mine just left the BestBuy Deerfoot Meadows location with one and said they had 2 left. That was about 5 minutes ago.

This might be way too obscure to be useful but just in case... Returned a Neon Switch to Victoria Uptown Best Buy a couple hours ago. Might be back on the shelf now or later today if you're in Victoria and looking for one!

mdubs

Banned
Wew! Went to EB today to trade in my stuff.

Traded in:

Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Resident Evil 5
Rare Replay
Titanfall
Devil May Cry DE
Infamous Second Son
The Order 1886
Sunset Overdrive
Dead Rising 3
Watch Dogs
GTA V

Got a Switch Pro Controller, Arms, and Mario Kart 8 (which I'll switch to Splatoon 2). Since I was getting Switch stuff, got the double up without even asking. What a great deal!

True Fire

Ok so idk where else to post this, so I'll post it here since its Canada related. I'm 20 and I'm opening a RRSP with Scotiabank. Its asking whether I want Cash, Savings accelerator, GIC or mutual fund. Not entirely sure what those mean and if theres any benefits. Halp?

Go on Personal Finance Canada on Reddit ASAP lol. You don't want to mess this up

FN-2187

I was going to wait to return a few more games, but the double trade value promo for switch now ends tomorrow.

https://www.ebgames.ca/Recycled%20Offers/Index

Oh wow, thanks for pointing this out. I have been on the fence about Switch because I have a lot of problems/concerns with it. I am so torn though because I love Nintendo games. Today, I was thinking screw it, I'm getting one. This might push me over the edge since I was planning on taking advantage of this to swap my Wii U Zelda for the Switch version for free if I was going to get the system.

Is the 10 credit min just xbone/ps4 does it apply to WiiU too?

The temptation to get 80 back on Horizon is pretty big but I really don't even know what I'd put that credit on, I already have a pro, an extra charger arms and mario kart paid off, and the cases at eb kinda suck.

Grimsen

Braved the snowstorm and traded nioh (70$) and Lego Batman 3 (20$).

I actually missed a shipment of consoles today. I called at 10am and they didn't have any. They got them at around 11, and sold them fast. :(

JDH

Visit your bank to have a conversation with an advisor. This is literally my full time job but with a different institution. If you get someone good, they should be able to explain your options and pros and cons of each. Given your age I would rccomend Mutual Funds but more specifically ETF portfolios to start as the fees are low and returns comparable to managed solutions. I don't know if Scotia offers them to be honest. Feel free to pm me.

Go on Personal Finance Canada on Reddit ASAP lol. You don't want to mess this up

Ugh. Some of he worst advice can be found there. Feel free to look, but I would avoid that place to be honest. For every good suggestion there are twenty shitty ones.

True Fire

Ugh. Some of he worst advice can be found there. Feel free to look, but I would avoid that place to be honest. For every good suggestion there are twenty shitty ones.

Yeah, you really have to filter through the crap ("sell your house and your kids and put the money into ETFs!"). But there's always sincere, rational people willing to explain what a mutual fund is.

Indelible

It felt so good to purge crap like Knack, Ryse and The Order from my collection, I'am satisfied getting Mario Kart 8 Deluxe basically for free.

jaybe00

Neo Member

Don't open an RRSP at age 20. If you want to have your investment gains be tax free, use a TFSA. GICs and likely the Mutual Funds (depending on the kind) may lock your money in for some time, so do know what you are buying into should you want access to it in a year or so.

Just back from eb, was told I could not do the trade in to get the season pass or snipper clips which is shisty but I did take the double credit and placed it on sonic as a place holder.

JDH

Don't open an RRSP at age 20. If you want to have your investment gains be tax free, use a TFSA. GICs and likely the Mutual Funds (depending on the kind) may lock your money in for some time, so do know what you are buying into should you want access to it in a year or so.

I don't think it should be a question of this versus that. I think both avenues are great together. If OP is at all thinking about buying his first home an RRSP offers a great incentive that can assist him further than saving in a TFSA.

TFSA is great for really any kind of savings but without a tax return type benefit. Super great for general and short term savings.

RRSP will give you a 30% tax return when you file your taxes for your contributions that you can use each year to reduce taxes owed, save in a TFSA, pay high interest debts, spend or do whatever you like with really. TFSA will only give you tax-free savings, meaning your not paying tax on your returns.

Both are really umbrellas to put investments in, but offer different thing as stated above.

Anyways I don't want to derail the shipping talk, Switch and EB games promos lol, so this will be my last $0.02 on the matter.

big fake

Anyone know where I can get NieR Automata on PC for cheap for pre-order? I saw someone mention they got it for like 50 some odd dollars, but don't know where from.

FN-2187

I don't think it should be a question of this versus that. I think both avenues are great together. If OP is at all thinking about buying his first home an RRSP offers a great incentive that can assist him further than saving in a TFSA.

TFSA is great for really any kind of savings but without a tax return type benefit. Super great for general and short term savings.

RRSP will give you a 30% tax return when you file your taxes for your contributions that you can use each year to reduce taxes owed, save in a TFSA, pay high interest debts, spend or do whatever you like with really. TFSA will only give you tax-free savings, meaning your not paying tax on your returns.

Both are really umbrellas to put investments in, but offer different thing as stated above.

Anyways I don't want to derail the shipping talk, Switch and EB games promos lol, so this will be my last $0.02 on the matter.

Using an RRSP to save for your first home via the first time home buyers plan is a must. My wife and I saved for a down payment in no time thanks to those fat tax returns.

SickBoy

I was going to wait to return a few more games, but the double trade value promo for switch now ends tomorrow.

https://www.ebgames.ca/Recycled%20Offers/Index

I wonder if "ends tomorrow" means it runs through the end of tomorrow, or if it means it's kaput as of tomorrow morning? I'm guessing the former?

I was very fortunate I got sucked in by Horizon Zero Dawn. Finished it the other day (which is stupidly fast for me) and traded it in for $80 in credit. Having ordered it at E3 2015 from Amazon, it's kinda like EB paid me $30 to play the game ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom