• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay. What the f*ck is going on with Wii U hard locks.

MarkusRJR

This whole console seems so un-Nintendo. There's the ridiculously slow UI, the social networking (not a bad thing in this case though), giant day one patches for the console and a ton of games, console crashes, and really long load times on every game. It's so weird.

Chiggs

Returning mine to Wal-Mart. The locks are ridiculous. Not sure if I have a defective unit or if the platform itself is unstable.

dysonEA

I had no crashes day one. Went into Nintendo land this morning, tapped a mii walking around, got a message miiverse needs to be active (which it is) and then it crashed. Tried the same thing again, another crash. Warning, do not tap miis in Nintendo land!

Rikkun

Wow, this sucks.

All I can think of is "at least" the system doesn't brick/burn/explode/shoot discs out of the window.

I mean, I'd be SO pissed, and I will be when I'll grab mine in 11 days, but this should be something they can fix.

Effect

This whole console seems so un-Nintendo. There's the ridiculously slow UI, the social networking (not a bad thing in this case though), giant day one patches for the console and a ton of games, console crashes, and really long load times on every game. It's so weird.

The exaggerations need to stop. It's slow but it's not ridiculously slow.

Nibel

This never happened with any system in the past

ibo1v1NrP3k4Ov.png

Adam Blue

This never happened with any system in the past

Well, these console makers need to learn. If consoles locking up/crashing really is an issue, the consumers will speak. If no one cares, they will continue to rush to market. It's our fault.

tkscz

Ironically my Wii-U hasn't hard locked once. ON the other hand, ever sence I got home with my Wii-U last night, my PC has been hard locking. Hmmm...

Well, these console makers need to learn. If consoles locking up/crashing really is an issue, the consumers will speak. If no one cares, they will continue to rush to market. It's our fault.

You would think so but the 360 survived what was basically criminal console quality and perhaps Nintendo will as well although there isn't as much hype around the launch as there was for the Xbox.

I know in my case I went through like 6-7 360's before the slim version came out and stopped the problem but I had nowhere else to go for the experiences I was getting on the 360 so I kept coming back. That may not be as true for Nintendo.

Adam Blue

You would think so but the 360 survived what was basically criminal console quality and perhaps Nintendo will as well although there isn't as much hype around the launch as there was for the Xbox.

I know in my case I went through like 6-7 360's before the slim version came out and stopped the problem but I had nowhere else to go for the experiences I was getting on the 360 so I kept coming back. That may not be as true for Nintendo.

I'm very interested in seeing if Microsoft addresses those concerns before the new console launch. If not and it succeeds, it means early adopting is more powerful that caution.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
friend of mine picked a unit up from bestbuy. started to download the update but had a power outtage and it bricked his system. good thing he had bestbuy protection service :)

Wait what? For real? Surely bestbuy would replace without protection services? Or would that have to go through Nintendo?

Cheech

Yeah, after going through this with the 360 and PS3, Nintendo can stuff this piece of crap. No desire to play console roulette again with a bunch of defective, half assed launch hardware. Thankfully my kids haven't shown interest yet, and are happy with the original Wii.

I'm very interested in seeing if Microsoft addresses those concerns before the new console launch. If not and it succeeds, it means early adopting is more powerful that caution.

hasn't that always been the case? early adoption for me, at least, has always been about wanting the new tech. I have actively ignored information about poor build quality in the past just to get my hands on a new console and all the news about wii u hard locking and slow os and such isn't doing anything to put me off. I'm even more excited for some bizarre reason.

dysonEA

I had no crashes day one. Went into Nintendo land this morning, tapped a mii walking around, got a message miiverse needs to be active (which it is) and then it crashed. Tried the same thing again, another crash. Warning, do not tap miis in Nintendo land!

Update ... when Miiverse is working with nintendo land, I'm able to tap on mii's in there and not crash. Seems like a bug when miiverse isn't fully connected.

bryehn

The exaggerations need to stop. It's slow but it's not ridiculously slow.

Yeah, it really is. Especially if you're tinkering with settings, using the Mii Maker, launching an app or the Miiverse...you know anything. You're looking at 12-17 seconds each time. That is ridiculous.

deviljho

If your system is locking up while navigating through the OS, then please try to following:

Remove all SD cards and all USB accessories. Unplug the power, and then plug it back it. Navigate between menus like normal to try and recreate the problem. If it stops hanging, then test again with your SD card or other devices one at a time. Then report it to Nintendo.

So if your OS works fine, but hangs when you transition from "Wii U Menu" to "Miiverse" or "User Settings" or "System Settings," etc... give this a shot.

Matt

Update ... when Miiverse is working with nintendo land, I'm able to tap on mii's in there and not crash. Seems like a bug when miiverse isn't fully connected.

Happens to me both with the wifi on and off. Interestingly both Tekken Tag and Scribblenauts have not had a lockup, while Netflix and COD have both had one, and like I said Nintendo Land won't work at all.

I'm dumbfounded.

i-Lo

Instability is an ever acceptable part of new hardware/software launch. Looks like WiiU is nothing new in that regard. Hopefully, future firmwares will take care of this issue. Until then, I suggest saving in short intervals.

Call me when the Wii U's start catching fire like the 360 power bricks did. Till then, it's hardly a disaster... just a little disappointing.

Nice diversionary tactic there. Fanboys... never fail to amuse.

This happened to me twice as well so far in over 24hrs of continuous use.

1) was when I was setting up settings just after creating the first network id.
2) was when I went to checkout something in miiverse when the system was down.

From what most are saying, it looks like it has to do with network.. maybe even miiverse specifically.

I don't think its HW, but probably network related and will be easily fixed soon.

Works fine for me, and judging by the thousands of messages I've seen throughout nintendo land, it must be working fairly well in general.

Sounds to me like there are some hardware issues at play here...

(edit) i-Lo: Dah... how cute, you're trying to start a fanboy war.

All I said was that most of the issues have been minor... I compared to it a real event that actually caused HARM to people... Would you have preferred if I used the sony laptop battery incident instead? Same story pretty much, but I figured the x-box fires would be more on the mind of my fellow gamers versus overly expensive laptops.

So far mine has frozen twice. First lock happened as I was setting up the controller, right after inputting the card symbols. Had to pull the plug from the wall. Second time was while booting NSMBU, hard locked and needed to pull the plug again.

If your system is locking up while navigating through the OS, then please try to following:

Remove all SD cards and all USB accessories. Unplug the power, and then plug it back it. Navigate between menus like normal to try and recreate the problem. If it stops hanging, then test again with your SD card or other devices one at a time. Then report it to Nintendo.

So if your OS works fine, but hangs when you transition from "Wii U Menu" to "Miiverse" or "User Settings" or "System Settings," etc... give this a shot.

...All that frustration this morning because I decided to put a SD card in the WiiU in preparation for the data transfer. Head desk.

...All that frustration this morning because I decided to put a SD card in the WiiU in preparation for the data transfer. Head desk.

Wow... kind of want to pull my wii's SD card to give this a test to see if it's really that simple. If so, it should hopefully be a simple fix.

Matt

Well, I called Nintendo. They were very nice of course, but had literally nothing to tell me. They said they would get back to me.

Lucent

I guess I've been lucky. Hopefully an update will release soon.

Me too. 5 hours of Nintendoland, not a single lock up. Rented and tried ZombiU for an hour. No lock ups. Sounds like not all Wii U's were made equal. I'm sorry to anyone who is having problems. =(

Fox Mulder

The giant day one patches are bullshit, but plenty of consoles have launched with shitty unoptimized games. Nintendo can fix most of the complaints people have right now. The 360, ps3, and even iOS and android have all had huge changes since they were first released too.

You'd hope that Nintendo could come out the gate with a perfect console, but it's a learning experience for a company that was so behind with online services. Like with the ps3 and 360 at launch, it's probably best to wait a year and see where they are at. The 360 wasn't really worth it until Gears came out a year later.

Shit, I realize I'm in the "hard locks" thread, but mine powers off instead. Like someone pulled the power to it, then of course the game pad complains that it has lost connection to the console. Anyone else have this?

Still though, I have no regrets, and have been enjoying it immensely. Metroid blast with my two sons, 14 and 17, and the wife taking pictures is just priceless for me. Loving it.

Glass Joe

Knock on wood, no lock-ups for me so far. In case it's relevant, I have a deluxe unit in the standing position, and am using a Wii ethernet adapter instead of the WiFi. Had a couple of MiiVerse time outs yesterday but nothing that made the system crash. I wonder if it's the network stuff giving some people problems, and/or glitchy games themselves. I've seen people reporting that the Metroid part of NintendoLand is causing some freezes, for example. That's at least mildly reassuring that those cases are probably game related instead of hardware related.

CrunchyB

Man, how many of the angry people in this thread have ever bought a console at launch before?

I own a launch Gameboy, SNES, N64, GBA, GC and Wii. Out of those six, only the N64 ever crashed. About three times in total, always during insane MK64 marathons. My old first edition Gameboy broke once, when my baby brother dropped it. It was easily repaired.

Nintendo used to have a spotless record. Shame to see the WiiU was a bit of a rush job. Hopefully this can be patched.

Top Bottom